Options

The Big 5 College Basketball Thread

Comments

• Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Gus Johnson is the fucking man. He should be calling the Super Bowl & Final Four.

He is good. McDonough is still my favorite announcer. He's great doing all sports.

Might be old news, but did you guys see that all of the tourney games are being televised this year? cbs, tnt, tbs, and truTV (no clue what channel that is). that's pretty cool
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,307
    The Fixer wrote:
    Gus Johnson is the fucking man. He should be calling the Super Bowl & Final Four.

He is good. McDonough is still my favorite announcer. He's great doing all sports.

Might be old news, but did you guys see that all of the tourney games are being televised this year? cbs, tnt, tbs, and truTV (no clue what channel that is). that's pretty cool

i thought we talked about that before. it is cool.....

i was not a fan of barkley and kenny smith on the selection show last night though. they seemed out of place and you could tell davis and anthony knew much more of what they were talking about.

the cable providers should find a way to put all these channels right next to each other during the tourney. i can see it getting a little confusing flipping all over the place and trying to remember where trutv is.....i would like this better if they kept cbs as the main station and still had that one cutting into the games that were on the cable channels when they got interesting.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,208
    The Fixer wrote:

i thought we talked about that before. it is cool.....

i was not a fan of barkley and kenny smith on the selection show last night though. they seemed out of place and you could tell davis and anthony knew much more of what they were talking about.

the cable providers should find a way to put all these channels right next to each other during the tourney. i can see it getting a little confusing flipping all over the place and trying to remember where trutv is.....i would like this better if they kept cbs as the main station and still had that one cutting into the games that were on the cable channels when they got interesting.

TRUtv is 841 on comcast Hi-Def in suburbs.

agree on Barkley and Kenny smith. They seemed totally out of place. I thought they went to them too often and not enough of Greg Anytony and Seth Davis. Greg Anthony is really good on there.

Watched the Fab 5 on ESPN last night. I guess it was like the 30 for 30s. Was good but thought it could have been better. HBO did one on Tarkanian's UNLV but i missed that one. Have to check that on-demand.
  • Options
    Yeah, I didn't watch any of those tourney shows. I can't take the talking heads complaining about va tech and colorado getting screwed...like it matters if those teams are in or not. I do like Seth Davis a lot...he is usually pretty good with his upset predictions.

I would bet money that dick vitale has duke in the finals.

pjhawks, I saw the unlv thing. HBO's docs are tremendous
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,472
    The Fixer wrote:

This will be like a few years ago when everyone had to find TBS for the baseball playoffs.

I wonder where tru is for fios.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

This will be like a few years ago when everyone had to find TBS for the baseball playoffs.

I wonder where tru is for fios.

Or finding VS for flyers games. I remember thinking, 'what the hell channel is VS?'

temple laying 2.5...nova getting 1.5. Should be two good games
  • Options
    Big news: Scootie practiced yesterday. Might want to lay those points Fixer. ;)
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    booomm11booomm11 Posts: 865
    The Fixer wrote:

That Doris Burke chick drives me nuts! So annoying! Thank God espn doesn't have the dance
    being so KiND.. tO LEt me RiDe!!!
  • Options
    booomm11 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

That Doris Burke chick drives me nuts! So annoying! Thank God espn doesn't have the dance

she did way too many nova games for my liking this year.....that said, i do think she sounds like she knows what she is talking about....somewhat. i just don't like her.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    oh she's def knowledgeable, just bugs the shit out of me for some reason
  • Options
    booomm11 wrote:

Sounds like your mom announcing the game and kind of nagging you at the same time.

• Options
    booomm11 wrote:

Sounds like your mom announcing the game and kind of nagging you at the same time.

:lol: exactly
  • Options
    booomm11 wrote:

hahaha, that is perfect.

I'm biting my tongue on this topic. Don't want to get myself in trouble
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    booomm11 wrote:

hahaha, that is perfect.

I'm biting my tongue on this topic. Don't want to get myself in trouble

Yeah, I think we are all already there. Of course, many male announcers are worse (including one former CBS analyst).

• Options
    ok real fun starts tomorrow. here are a few spread picks that i like for thursday and friday:

Thursday games:
    Temple at -2 1/2 (best bet, temple a lock)
    Kentucky at -13 1/2
    Missouri at Pick Em
    Gonzaga at +2

Friday games:
    Marquette at +1 1/2
    Indiana State at +11 1/2
    Arizona at -6
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    ok real fun starts tomorrow. here are a few spread picks that i like for thursday and friday:

Thursday games:
    Kentucky at -13 1/2
    Missouri at Pick Em
    Gonzaga at +2

Friday games:
    Marquette at +1 1/2
    Indiana State at +11 1/2
    Arizona at -6

I've been looking at the lines. I like temple and gonzaga a lot too. I like cincy over mizzou. I don't like the marquette/xavier game at all.

I like utah st a lot tomorrow. Also like ODU, bucknell, and wofford.

Can't wait for noon tomorrow. Close to 98 straight hours of gambling coming.

Also, I think USC crushes VCU tonight
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

Thursday games:
    Kentucky at -13 1/2
    Missouri at Pick Em
    Gonzaga at +2

Friday games:
    Marquette at +1 1/2
    Indiana State at +11 1/2
    Arizona at -6

I've been looking at the lines. I like temple and gonzaga a lot too. I like cincy over mizzou. I don't like the marquette/xavier game at all.

Gonzaga is always a sucker bet.

• Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

Thursday games:
    Kentucky at -13 1/2
    Missouri at Pick Em
    Gonzaga at +2

Friday games:
    Marquette at +1 1/2
    Indiana State at +11 1/2
    Arizona at -6

Gonzaga is always a sucker bet.

st johns wasn't anything special away from MSG this year. and one of their best players is out. I'll be on the zags +1.5
  • Options
    fixer--i'm with you odu, and bucknell. i can see that bucknell game coming down to the wire. that's a decent amount of points for some tired legs.

don't sleep on those st peters peacocks either :mrgreen:

and, i'm with you on usc tonight.

big money. big money. big money.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    nova's now laying a point...hmmm
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

That is very interesting.

2 1/2 hours to go.

GO OWLS!!!

• Options

2 1/2 hours to go.

GO OWLS!!!

hmm, that is interesting about nova. that game should be a nail biter

temple line up to 3. glad I bought the half point and got it at 2. go owls :D
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

2 1/2 hours to go.

GO OWLS!!!

hmm, that is interesting about nova. that game should be a nail biter

temple line up to 3. glad I bought the half point and got it at 2. go owls :D

i think the chip on nova's shoulder thing is looming large in that one. them wanting to prove to everyone they belong. i'm not touching that game though.

like odu in the early games.

have you noticed how tight these lines are this year?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

have you noticed how tight these lines are this year?

I never do well betting the tourney. I try to bet small. If I break even I will be happy...total opposite of football.

2 years ago I was in vegas for my bach party for opening weekend. thurs AM to sunday. I killed the first weekend...went something like 17-3. the next weekend I gave it all back and then some, going something like 1-11. It was amazing...I couldn't pick my nose.

betting the tourney is next to impossible.
  • Options
    My Owls finally delivered the goods in the Dance, with our first NCAA W since beating, well, Penn St. in the 2001 Sweet 16. Fernandez had 2 stupid fouls early in the 1st half, as was often the case this year, but he shook it off for 17 1st half pts. Then he cooled off in the 2nd half, and Lavoy stayed cold the whole game, but Ramon took over to keep Temple marginally ahead most of the half. Owls got a big stop with a 1-pt lead, Juan made 2 FT's, and Owls just needed to keep PSU from hitting a 3 to get the win. Not too hard, right?

Yeah, not so much. Penn St "battled" back with a ridiculous 3-pter for Talor, one of the game's 3 23-pt scorers. The Owls had 15 seconds to put together a nice offensive possession. Instead Argentinian #4 of the Owls (NOT Pepe Sanchez) just dribbled around looking for a shot and miraculously drilled what was effectively Temple's best buzzer beater shot I can remember.

I am still soaking this one in. SD St. on Saturday, 4pm. GO OWLS!!!

• Options
    See ya Cats. GMU is more interesting to watch anyway. 6-game losing streak to end the season. Ouch. I'm sure they'll break it starting next year vs. St. Lucy School for the Blind.

• Options
    See ya Cats. GMU is more interesting to watch anyway. 6-game losing streak to end the season. Ouch. I'm sure they'll break it starting next year vs. St. Lucy School for the Blind.

seriously. has there ever been a worse effort at a game tying shot...ever? Fitting ending to a shit season for a shit fanbase. Me and pjhawks pinned this team as overrated way back in november.

watched games at barnabys. I hate nova fans. such turds.
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

seriously. has there ever been a worse effort at a game tying shot...ever? Fitting ending to a shit season for a shit fanbase Me and pjhawks pinned this team as overrated way back in november.

watched games at barnabys. I hate nova fans. such turds.

gee, thanks a lot fixer. class act :thumbup: :roll:

for the record, i also pinned them as overrated. ...but alas they had way more talent than the way they played out these final 2 weeks.....THAT is what makes this all the more difficult. probably the worst ending to a season i can ever remember. worse than the odu loss imo.

always a next year though. :mrgreen:

go owls. i think they got a shot johnny. unfortunately for all my temple fan friends, their game starts a solid 10 minutes into my cocktail hour. hahaha :lol::lol: .....hopefully one team from our big 5 makes it to the 2nd weekend though. good luck!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    go owls. i think they got a shot johnny. unfortunately for all my temple fan friends, their game starts a solid 10 minutes into my cocktail hour. hahaha :lol::lol: .....hopefully one team from our big 5 makes it to the 2nd weekend though. good luck!

Thx for the wishes. This Aztecs team is scary. If Marshall Faulk shows up we're done for.

• Options

Thx for the wishes. This Aztecs team is scary. If Marshall Faulk shows up we're done for.

tough one Johnny. getting to a Sweet 16 would have been awesome. one or two more plays and you were right there. you had San Diego St. on the ropes. I've seen that team 4 or 5 times this year and that was by far as ordinary as that team looked. Looking back when you factor in losing 2 starters to injuries you have to be pretty happy with the overall season though. Next year will be interesting for you guys with lots back but no inside presence without Allen and who knows how much out of Eric coming off the injury.

and i know Jaegs is not around but the fact is this Nova team did stink this year. their level of play over the past 6 weeks was terrible. i'd love to hear him say i was right but i don't see that coming from him. and i wonder if he wants to take back saying Wayns was as good as Kyle Lowry as a sophomore. insanity. Jay has had a great run but i think worrying about national titles has passed them by at least for the next few years. what they have coming back is not very good at the moment unless JayVaughn Pinkston is an absolute stud from day 1.

great to see the mid-majors kicking ass too. wonder if Jay Bias (bilas) will apologize to VCU. Love their coach taking a little shot at Jay after each game too.