Options

The Big 5 College Basketball Thread

Comments

• Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    utterly and thoroughly disgusted. same feeling i had after the odu game many many years ago actually.

what was so frustrating for me was i worked late tonight and had to watch on gamecast. took my last call right with about 15 minutes to go. turned into a great loan----but the call lasted the rest of the game. so i'm selling this dude this totally gnarly mortgage with the help of my adonis dna and tiger blood while watching nova suffer an incredibly slow and painful death at the same time. it was excruciating. i'm putting the phone on mute and screaming "what the fuck?!" in mid sentence. constantly putting the dude on hold. good god what an awful hour. luckily i locked the f-cker in.

i just don't get it. your best player shoots lights out in the first half...then barely gets any shots in the 2nd half. doesn't make any sense to me....what a waste of talent this year. they should decline the 11 or 12 seed. they don't deserve it right now!

hard to believe this was only 2 years ago. (i still get goose bumps watching this shit :mrgreen: ):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93APuOlB ... ure=fvwrel

gonna be sweating it out on sunday evening :x :mrgreen:

look on the bright side...at least they will probably get a home game in the NIT
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,307
    The Fixer wrote:
    utterly and thoroughly disgusted. same feeling i had after the odu game many many years ago actually.

what was so frustrating for me was i worked late tonight and had to watch on gamecast. took my last call right with about 15 minutes to go. turned into a great loan----but the call lasted the rest of the game. so i'm selling this dude this totally gnarly mortgage with the help of my adonis dna and tiger blood while watching nova suffer an incredibly slow and painful death at the same time. it was excruciating. i'm putting the phone on mute and screaming "what the fuck?!" in mid sentence. constantly putting the dude on hold. good god what an awful hour. luckily i locked the f-cker in.

i just don't get it. your best player shoots lights out in the first half...then barely gets any shots in the 2nd half. doesn't make any sense to me....what a waste of talent this year. they should decline the 11 or 12 seed. they don't deserve it right now!

hard to believe this was only 2 years ago. (i still get goose bumps watching this shit :mrgreen: ):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93APuOlB ... ure=fvwrel

gonna be sweating it out on sunday evening :x :mrgreen:

look on the bright side...at least they will probably get a home game in the NIT

ha!.....more likely a 12 seed or something. ah, well. we shall see.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,471
    Joe Lunardi:

As for Villanova, its stunning collapse -- a loss to the South Florida in the Big East opening round merely the latest defeat -- is not enough to move the Wildcats completely out of the bracket. However, they are creeping dangerously close to having to play in the First Four games in Dayton. This coming from a team that was No. 7 in the country in late January.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Joe Lunardi:

As for Villanova, its stunning collapse -- a loss to the South Florida in the Big East opening round merely the latest defeat -- is not enough to move the Wildcats completely out of the bracket. However, they are creeping dangerously close to having to play in the First Four games in Dayton. This coming from a team that was No. 7 in the country in late January.

if they were in any other conference (sorry dude ;) ) they'd be nit bound. honestly, they fucking deserve the nit after last night. i seriously think that was their worse loss since odu (thanks for bringing them up the other day fixer :x :lol: ). certainly feels like it.

sunday evening will be tense. no doubt.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Joe Lunardi:

if they were in any other conference (sorry dude ;) ) they'd be nit bound. honestly, they fucking deserve the nit after last night. i seriously think that was their worse loss since odu (thanks for bringing them up the other day fixer :x :lol: ). certainly feels like it.

Yup. The Big East has to have 3/4 of its teams in the tourney.

SI.com bracket has Villanova vs. ODU in a 9-8 matchup. :lol:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Joe Lunardi:

Yup. The Big East has to have 3/4 of its teams in the tourney.

SI.com bracket has Villanova vs. ODU in a 9-8 matchup. :lol:

OH MY GOD. FLASHBACK! :x
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,208
    Nice W for the Hawks. I'd like to see them make a miracle run to the Final, and then lose to Temple. ;)

Owls get LaSalle on Friday. That won't help the old RPI too much.

At least 3 Big 5 teams are still playing this week. 8-)

it worked out great for the A10. They get a Dayton-Xavier rivalry game followed by Hawks-Duquesne in the aftenroon and Temple-LaSalle at night. Should have two good crowds friday for those. and i'd rather lose in the semi's than have to lose to Temple in the final again. not a good feeling to see you guys dancing on the court as we walk off. that damn 1st title 3 years ago still haunts me.

as for nova i wouldn't sweat too much yet but if there are a bunch of tourny upsets they might worry a bit. i got to think they have to fall below 8-9 now. 10 sounds about right to me.
  • Options
    A-10 Tourney gets into the swing of it tonight. Temple-LaSalle @ 6:30. Also, St. Joe's tries to survive another day vs. the Dukes.

GO OWLS!!!

• Options
    A-10 Tourney gets into the swing of it tonight. Temple-LaSalle @ 6:30. Also, St. Joe's tries to survive another day vs. the Dukes.

GO OWLS!!!

go owls...my buddy and his pops (tu alum) are in ac for the weekend's festivities
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Xavier loses to Dayton. They never really bring it to the A-10.

• Options

is dayton projected to be 'in' at this point? I wouldn't think so, but you guys follow it closer than I do.

I would think the flyers have a shot at stealing nova's spot

this st joes game is pretty wild
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

is dayton projected to be 'in' at this point? I wouldn't think so, but you guys follow it closer than I do.

what? :shock: dayton? stop it. :lol: they finished 3 games higher than st joes in the fucking a10. 7-9. only way they get in is by winning that tourney.

nova's got a 35 rpi and looks to be a 10 seed as of lunardi's bracketology today. he had them at 11 yesterday. they would play ucla in this latest scenario...whom they beat a few months back. nova's in. just a matter of where. :x
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    interestingly in lunardi's latest....

nova's a 10 and would have unc as a likely 2nd round opponet...

while temple is a 7 and would have duke as a likely 2nd round opponet...

(temple would play tennessee in the first round)
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

what? :shock: dayton? stop it. :lol: they finished 3 games higher than st joes in the fucking a10. 7-9. only way they get in is by winning that tourney.

nova's got a 35 rpi and looks to be a 10 seed as of lunardi's bracketology today. he had them at 11 yesterday. they would play ucla in this latest scenario...whom they beat a few months back. nova's in. just a matter of where. :x

I was saying if dayton wins the A-10 tourney dude :? .

go dayton
  • Options

I find it hilarious that you are looking past round 1 for nova.

should be any day now that you're also jumping on the PSU bandwagon. shocked you haven't said anything about them since you're such a superfan of PSU football
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    should be any day now that you're also jumping on the PSU bandwagon. shocked you haven't said anything about them since you're such a superfan of PSU football

Funny that PSU fans couldn't give a shit about the b-ball team (and same with Nova fans & the football team). Sounds fraudulent. :|

Well, Owls came up short vs. Spiders. I'm not too worried about it. Owls were in trouble from some ticky tack fouls on Allen & Jefferson early. But I would say the officiating was horrible on both sides honestly. They were the better team and seemed to want it more. My complaints were the ridiculous NBA style (one guy dribbles while the other 4 stand around watching) offenses that Fernandez & Wyatt were running. These guys really need to move the ball around. And Fernandez really needs to avoid the stupid fouls. If we get a fairly healthy Scootie back for the tourney then we should get our first W in 10 years.

• Options
    edited March 2011
    The Fixer wrote:

I find it hilarious that you are looking past round 1 for nova.

all depends on what nova team shows up dude. if they play like they are capable of playing they can hang a lot of teams in the country...especially ucla. the're fucking jekyll and hyde though. all i want is one win to put a sliver of a silver lining on this season and give the young bucks something to build on for next year.

psu basketball? :? this is a big 5 thread :lol:
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I was saying if dayton wins the A-10 tourney dude :? .

go dayton

you asked if they were projected to be "in" as of yesterday.

nova's not one of the last 4 in right now anyway.

go dayton... :lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    well that's a higher seed than i expected. at least they don't have to travel to the other side of the country and have a winnable, all be it tough, first round game. plus an extra day to get healthy. looks like mouph should be 100%....dreaded 8/9 match up though. mason gave us fits last year. if they play up to their capabilities (a HUGE if with this year's squad ) nova should come up with a w. they def gotta get out and run though. enough slowing the game down. that's not nova's game.

7th tourney in a row for nova. that is a quality run right there folks. :clap:

let's just hope game time does not occur during my rehearsal/rehearsal dinner on friday though :x :lol:

temple will have their hands full with that talor battle cat. dude's a beast. dunph needs this one.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    love temple over penn st. as long as temple puts up any kind of offensive numbers they should win this game easily. Penn St. is basically two players in Battle and Brooks and Lavoy Allen should be able to handle Brooks.

Nova-George Mason is going to be a fun game. Lots of 3s and up and down play. Losing early in the Big East should have allowed for Stokes and Fisher to get healthier which has to help. Game should go right to the wire.

some of the seeding in this tournament don't make a lot of sense. Penn St. and Michigan St. as 10s, Butler as an 8, Kentucky as a 4 and florida as a 2. and one again Duke gets the easiest regional even as the 4th number 1 what a joke. East is freakin stacked. should be fun though.
  • Options
    I think Owls fans in general are happy with the Penn St. matchup. It's a team Temple beat the last couple years, and also in a scrimmage this year. I'm not looking ahead to anything - we just need to win one game and take it from there.

My one bitch & moan complaint is that Temple is playing in the afternoon for the 4th straight year. You'd think just the law of averages would get us an evening game one of these years. Of course, in Tuscon the evening game would end up being 10:30 or something, so maybe it's better this way. Half day for Johnny Abruzzo on Thursday. :D

I think the Chaney Owls made the tourney every year from 1990 to 2001 - that was a nice run.

• Options
    I think Owls fans in general are happy with the Penn St. matchup. It's a team Temple beat the last couple years, and also in a scrimmage this year. I'm not looking ahead to anything - we just need to win one game and take it from there.

My one bitch & moan complaint is that Temple is playing in the afternoon for the 4th straight year. You'd think just the law of averages would get us an evening game one of these years. Of course, in Tuscon the evening game would end up being 10:30 or something, so maybe it's better this way. Half day for Johnny Abruzzo on Thursday. :D

I think the Chaney Owls made the tourney every year from 1990 to 2001 - that was a nice run.

didn't Chaney make it 17 straight years? or was it just 17 times in his career? for some reason i thought it was 17 straight years. an amazing run either way.

i've always thought you don't want to the 1st game thursday or the last game friday. those 2 time slots suck. friday afternoon is a great time which nova gets this year. thursday afternoon not great and this year being st. patty's day bars could be annoying (and i'm irish and i hate st. patty's day but that's for another thread).
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    pjhawks wrote:

didn't Chaney make it 17 straight years? or was it just 17 times in his career? for some reason i thought it was 17 straight years. an amazing run either way.

i've always thought you don't want to the 1st game thursday or the last game friday. those 2 time slots suck. friday afternoon is a great time which nova gets this year. thursday afternoon not great and this year being st. patty's day bars could be annoying (and i'm irish and i hate st. patty's day but that's for another thread).

Yeah, I think 17 out of 18 years. edit: it was 1984-88, 1990-2001.

As a Temple fan, I just came to expect to be there every year, which made the dry spell in the middle of last decade that much worse. Of course, we are now up to 4 straight years, which most schools would consider a pretty good run (although a little empty with 3 straight losses so far).
    Post edited by Johnny Abruzzo on

• Options
    phew...2pm game on friday so as not to interfere with the festivities (i am getting married saturday/rehearsal + dinner friday)

aaaaand......it's a GUS JOHNSON game! :lol::clap::clap:

go. cats.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    phew...2pm game on friday so as not to interfere with the festivities (i am getting married saturday/rehearsal + dinner friday)

go. cats.

Gus Johnson is tremendous.

Jaegs i know we've battled at times but good luck and congrats on friday/saturday.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:

go. cats.

Jaegs i know we've battled at times but good luck and congrats on friday/saturday.

Congrats man! Savor every moment, and make sure you don't spend hours upon hours posing for pictures. Just make it a priority to enjoy yourself. :D

• Options
    pjhawks wrote:

go. cats.

thanks....you ever see what he looks like? he sounds like the whitest guy in the world. but i knew he was black so i pictured him as a carlton banks type.....dude's gangster :lol: look at this (the stokely call reenactment is pretty cool too):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crfYXejxYfI
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:

go. cats.

Congrats man! Savor every moment, and make sure you don't spend hours upon hours posing for pictures. Just make it a priority to enjoy yourself. :D

will do and thanks...can't believe i'm gonna end up missing so much of the tourney though. never thought i'd be that guy to get married at a time like this. :lol::mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:

go. cats.

thanks....you ever see what he looks like? he sounds like the whitest guy in the world. but i knew he was black so i pictured him as a carlton banks type.....dude's gangster :lol: look at this (the stokely call reenactment is pretty cool too):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crfYXejxYfI

really, you've never seen him? he's been around for a long time (college hoops and nfl). his glasses are super googs.

good luck this weekend dude (with the wedding, not with nova)
  • Options
    Gus Johnson is the fucking man. He should be calling the Super Bowl & Final Four.