My Morning Jacket

Comments

• ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    spnoone wrote:
    i was very late to the party. didn't hear a single mmj song til they opened in 06. cmac saturday was my first chance to see them while actually knowing the songs they were playing. didn't get anywhere near the setlist i was hoping for and it was still the best show of the summer. i don't know what to compare it to other than my first pearl jam show. i will travel to see this band. and considering the upper shell and lawn were virtually empty on a beautiful saturday, i'll probably have to. did they overestimate their drawing power or does the rochester/syracuse/buffalo market just suck? if my wallet survives the matador vegas thing, i'm gonna have to catch either the tennessee fire or it still moves show in nyc.

def could travel with the band. they don't change it up like PJ but still would... been a fan since around late 2003 and never looked back.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Not for nothin', but Jim looked like Rabbi Shlomo with that garb he's wearing on-stage.
  • The Philly show just got posted on archive.org
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    The Philly show just got posted on archive.org
    :shock: :o:mrgreen:
  • The Philly show just got posted on archive.org

so i guess he skipped mountain park :cry:
    hows the quality once burned?? i only listened to the chicago show here from my work computer...cant really tell how good/bad the audio is that way
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Anybody heard All Birds Say yet or know of a place to listen to it
  • DewieCox wrote:
    Picking it up later today...
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    DewieCox wrote:

I thought about ordering the vinyl from his site, just didn't know about the quality of the tunage. Post a review plz.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,439
    thanks for the heads up!
  • Get_Right wrote:
    thanks for the heads up!

its on steam engine blog too
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• DewieCox wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

I thought about ordering the vinyl from his site, just didn't know about the quality of the tunage. Post a review plz.
    Dewie, I'm gonna give a full review after a few more listens, but I gotta just tell you this: its awesome. He is so freakin talented. Carl does the following: vocals, guitars, bass, pedal steel, dobro, violin, baritone sax, autoharp, bells and percussion. Bo Koster plays on the album as well, but no mention of My Morning Jacket anywhere else. I highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys good music. Its different from the MMJ sound. Not quite alt-country, but certainly not straight-ahead rock.

Carl gives new meaning to the label "multi-instrumentalist".
  • Philly folks will enjoy this.
    http://www.jambase.com/Articles/24060/My-Morning-Jacket-Summer-Tour-Closer-Philly
    jambase.com loves this band too
  • Damn..thanks for sharing that fenway
    great article
    awesome pics

whats up with this pic...
    http://www.jambase.com/Photos/PhotoViewer.aspx?galleryID=120&photoID=5320

Love it!!!
    new desktop photo..yes, i think so

• twisted thoughts, go out this weekend and get Carl Broemel's All Birds Say. Trust me. If you thought Yim was talented, you ain't heard nothing yet.

There's the good and the bad, the happy and the sad, yeah there's a lotta different kinda people in the world.
  • twisted thoughts, go out this weekend and get Carl Broemel's All Birds Say. Trust me. If you thought Yim was talented, you ain't heard nothing yet.

There's the good and the bad, the happy and the sad, yeah there's a lotta different kinda people in the world.

i will give it a try..as i do with most music
    i will obtain it from the comfort of my computer chair/via laptop once i get home

i gotta say...i wasnt really feelin what i heard...but, most music that sticks with me, is not really fully appreciated at first.

was listening to sweetbees ep the other day...damn thats some good shit

• was listening to sweetbees ep the other day...damn thats some good shit
    Nice. Very cool. Love the cd artwork as well on that.

1. Lowdown - cool little song, great version on okonokos, saw it 1st time live two weeks ago
    2. The Way That He Sings - new appreciation for this one. love it now.
    3. O Is The One That Is Real - not my fave but still a cool song
    4. Come Closer - awesome early song, they need to play this live on future tours, it'll prob be played on one of the first two nights at T5.
    5. Sooner - the highlight of the acoustic citsuoca ep (Live at the Startime Pavillion) in my opinion. never seen this one live. such a lyrically powerful song. love it.

As for Carl's ABS, it's really mellow. I love it. He is so polished its insane. Definitely a slow burning record. I like it also because Jim had nothing to do with it. It's just a showcase of Carl's abilities as a multi-instrumentalist.
  • was listening to sweetbees ep the other day...damn thats some good shit
    Nice. Very cool. Love the cd artwork as well on that.

1. Lowdown - cool little song, great version on okonokos, saw it 1st time live two weeks ago

This is one of my favorite songs of theirs! Still waiting on the day I get to see this song live.... :(
    2006: Albany
    2008: MSG I, MSG II, Newark(EV)
    2009: Albany 1-2(EV), Philly 3
    2010: Boston, MSG I
    2013: Buffalo, Brooklyn II, Hartford
    2016: MSG 1, MSG II, Fenway 1
  • 4. Come Closer - awesome early song, they need to play this live on future tours, it'll prob be played on one of the first two nights at T5.

this is exactly y i made shawn get me the sweetbees ep.
    i head that song the other day while boycotting PJ Radio (sorry guys) and listening to MMJ's Myspace page...OMFG i love it...

its kinda funny b/c some of their songs could easily be played on soft rock stations...like, stuff my mom would like :shock: :lol:

so, question for you....
    yim yames is a total sex fiend....yes/no??

seems to me its on his mind alot....and, by the way he sings, seriously puts the puss* on a pedestal :lol:
    ladys must love yim yames 8-)

• so, question for you....

seems to me its on his mind alot....and, by the way he sings, seriously puts the puss* on a pedestal :lol:
    You seem to be giving this a lot of thought kid. I don't know. I think there's a sensual element to a lot of his lyrics. And as far as I can tell, the ladies certainly love him.
  • so, question for you....

You seem to be giving this a lot of thought kid. I don't know. I think there's a sensual element to a lot of his lyrics. And as far as I can tell, the ladies certainly love him.

hey...i just like to know what is being said, and what it all means
    it makes the good music so much better, and the bad music so much worse
    for example take a gander/listen: Masterplan; Bermuda Highway; Cobra (cant really figure that one out yet, not sure it has much meaning but it sounds awesome) there are more....and, not to mention, he's got the flava sava for days.......look at that beard!!!

ok, im done now...i think i have a new crush :oops:

• 4. Come Closer - awesome early song, they need to play this live on future tours, it'll prob be played on one of the first two nights at T5.

this is exactly y i made shawn get me the sweetbees ep.
    i head that song the other day while boycotting PJ Radio (sorry guys) and listening to MMJ's Myspace page...OMFG i love it...

its kinda funny b/c some of their songs could easily be played on soft rock stations...like, stuff my mom would like :shock: :lol:

so, question for you....

Have never heard Come Closer til i read your post. Just checked it out and I love it! What album is this from?
  • for example take a gander/listen: Masterplan; Bermuda Highway; Cobra (cant really figure that one out yet, not sure it has much meaning but it sounds awesome)

masterplan
    I’ve got a masterplan babe, I been workin on it from the start.
    pluggin in all of the numbers, watchin it on all of the charts.
    just cause it starts off slow babe, doesn’t mean it don’t have a heart.
    you’ll be walkin round showin off someday
    and it’ll take you right back to the start.
    it’s everything that you want babe.
    it’s everything that you need.
    soft and warm al the time, make you want it over and over.
    strong on the horizon, but ends up bein really so sweet… oh so sweet.
    sometimes I wanna lay down babe. sometimes I wanna stand up and fight.
    sometimes it runs its course in a day. sometimes it goes for night after night.
    know that it will start off strong babe, and it will end up weak in the end.
    just like the heart you break of a love babe, just like the hand you take of a friend.
    soft and warm all the time, make you want it over and over.
    strong on the horizon, but ends up bein really so sweet… oh so sweet…

Bermuda Highway
    sometimes I walk around town looking at faces
    wonderin why their bodies go to silly places.
    Walkin past the carpet mills looking in and takin stills,
    your ass it draws me in like a Bermuda highway.
    Oh, don’t carve me out! Don’t let your silly dreams,
    fall in between the crack of the bed and the wall.
    Two times I fell asleep in a dirty basement
    snoozing in cobwebs and the cement.
    Sometimes I wonder why that meek guy got all the fame,
    maybe im to blame for his short bitter fucked up life.

Cobra
    Cobra comes up next to me.
    Anywhere he goes, he’s silently.
    How do you take speaking so much?
    How do you live without a lover’s touch?
    Dale always says it’s easy
    I’m hooked on four like one, two, three
    I got them moves, declared to me
    You need to listen cuz I guarantee you’re for sure
    Now I know I’ve been movin’ too much
    I’m gonna live for my hottie’s touch
    How do you take him speaking so much?
    How do you live without a lover’s touch?
    Covered in charcoal, head to toe
    Sticky, stick charcoal, I want you to know
    How I long till I get these off
    They’re so convenient but at such a cost
    King I go out to plead
    Sticky, sticky warmth, come and rush to me
    I want to know, I want to see
    There’s life for me
    Oh how I long till I get these off
    They’re so convenient but at such a cost.
    II
    I know somebody, yes, I know someone
    Who loves to wait, loves to wait for the policeman to come.
    I know somebody, yes, I know them well
    And I’m aware of the thought they call ringing the bell
    Four on the floor and four in the air
    I’m drinkin’ cold, cold lightning with the bugs in my hair
    I knew a partner, yes, I knew his house (now)
    I know somebody, yes, I know someone
    Who likes to wait, likes to wait for the policeman to come.
    I know somebody, yes, I know them well
    And I’m aware of the thought they call ringing the bell
    Four on the floor and four in the air
    I’m drinkin’ cold, cold lightning with the bugs in my hair
    I know somebody, yes, I know someone,
    Who loves to wait, loves to wait for those policeman to come.
    I know somebody, yes I know them well
    And I’m aware of the thought they call ringing the bell.
    Out on the floor and four in the air
    I’m drinkin’ cold, cold lightning with the buzz in my hair
    III
    Why do my toes always feel so cold?
    How come? How come? How come?
    Why’s all the soap always burn like a rope?
    When I see your reflection, it always frightens me
    So strong that I can hardly speak.
    How come?
    Mixed up potion, the summer’s ocean
    I feel I’m swimming in tannin lotion
    Too many car chairs, and not enough leads
    Thank you for all the sleep
    So I know the spark’s aside
    Stuff that keeps me clean
    Stuff that helps me breathe
    The lamps, the lights, the kerosene
    Beautiful, two gardenias spring
    How come?
    Why does all the soap always burn like the rope?
    Why’s all my toes always seem so cold?
    IV
    Just wanna shout out to all y’all, all the fellas
    I guess we were staying here,
    I’d like to give a shout out to all the xxxxx,
    From the north, Dallas, all the way down to San Antone,
    It’s a real good feelin’, they got goin’ far, (?)
    All the xxxxx xxxx xxxxxxx xxxxx body,
    They be gone, but I reckon I’m xxxx every day,
    You know what I’m saying?
    So I guess it’s a fine way to end.
    We out.
  • Have never heard Come Closer til i read your post. Just checked it out and I love it! What album is this from?
    Great song. It's originally from the Split: My Morning Jacket/Songs: Ohia. Never on a proper studio album, but did end up on said Sweetbees ep. I grabbed it off iTunes.
  • fenway - whats up w/ the xxxx xxxxx xxx in Cobra??

• and tell me this isnt about gettin down and dirty w/ your lady
    masterplan
    I’ve got a masterplan babe, I been workin on it from the start.
    pluggin in all of the numbers, watchin it on all of the charts.
    just cause it starts off slow babe, doesn’t mean it don’t have a heart.
    you’ll be walkin round showin off someday
    and it’ll take you right back to the start.
    soft and warm al the time, make you want it over and over.
    strong on the horizon, but ends up bein really so sweet… oh so sweet.
    sometimes I wanna lay down babe. sometimes I wanna stand up and fight.
    sometimes it runs its course in a day. sometimes it goes for night after night.
    know that it will start off strong babe, and it will end up weak in the end.
    just like the heart you break of a love babe, just like the hand you take of a friend.
    soft and warm all the time, make you want it over and over.
    strong on the horizon, but ends up bein really so sweet… oh so sweet…

yim knows whats up

and ok...maybe not Bermuda Highway except for that one line ;)

• Have never heard Come Closer til i read your post. Just checked it out and I love it! What album is this from?
    I grabbed it off iTunes.

Ho fo sho?!?!? I'll have to hit that up when I get home from work!
  • Ho fo sho?!?!? I'll have to hit that up when I get home from work!

WORK ON YOUR BIRTHDAY???
    BLASPHEMY!!!

HARTFORD '08 ON PJ RADIO RIGHT NOW IF U WANNA RELIVE A GREAT MOMENT
    (you shoulda been there)

WORK ON YOUR BIRTHDAY???
    BLASPHEMY!!!

(you shoulda been there)
    No shit, right? Happy bday again buddy. Stop sitting here chatting about mmj with us two losers. You gotta bust outta work early and get blasted. Crank some tunes and rock the f out in this rain kid.

WORK ON YOUR BIRTHDAY???
    BLASPHEMY!!!

(you shoulda been there)

I know right! I can't get a day off yet because I haven't been here 90 days :( I tried getting it off tho!

No shit, right? Happy bday again buddy. Stop sitting here chatting about mmj with us two losers. You gotta bust outta work early and get blasted. Crank some tunes and rock the f out in this rain kid.

Thanks man! I've been crankin the tunes all day just waiting to get outta here. Only 15 minutes and I'm gone. Going home to drink some jager and coke!!!!! 8-)
  • I've been listening to Carl Broemel's All Birds Say the entire weekend. It's so mellow. I'm hooked. He's the f'n man. On the Case(10), Different People(8), Questions(7) are my current favorites. I also love Enough(5). Great little tune.

He's doing 3 shows in October. Indy, Chicago and NY. :(

Edit: Lemme post those videos one more time.
    http://www.jambase.com/Articles/23937/Carl-Broemel--Three-Video-Performances