My Morning Jacket

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
edited December 2013 in Other Music
one of my favorite bands. jim james, may be single handedly responsible for the whole "reverb" style vocals that are so popular in indie right now, Band of Horses and cave singers all owe jim a huge debt. They created a genre of music where it sounds like the vocalist is 20 feet away from the mic.

My morning Jacket can no doubt rock out, as One Big Holiday proves, but for me, I am much more enthusiastic about the whole vibe the band creates. The sound of jims voice and the instrumentation of the band, creates such a southern atmosphere in my mind. The band sounds like August. Its still sunny and warm, but the fall/autumn looms around the corner, the leaves will be turning brown and red soon. Its all there in the sound. Something like The Way That He Sings. That song. Thats what August feels like to me. You are in love with the good weather and the summer, yet you can feel the change of season is coming.

As we move into the summer months i look forward to listening to these albums. It is the perfect summer music.

alot of people hated Evil Urges, but reguardless, i would have to say The Tennessee Fire, At Dawn, and It Still Moves, are among the best records released in the last twenty years, certainly top of the last decade. Everyone seems to enjoy Z alot but I havent given it much of a listen yet.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    only PJ and wilco are better bands in my book. Great band what more can you say - Check out Phone Went West.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • i never heard of them until i saw them open for pearl jam in boston and they ROCKED it live.

thanks again for that black keys album, so good.
  • ML181059 wrote:
    i never heard of them until i saw them open for pearl jam in boston and they ROCKED it live.

glad you liked the new black keys.

mmj seem like the type of band that I must see live before i die. A few years ago, they were supposedly the best live band in the world. i dont know if thats still the consensus, but i would love to see them one time!
  • one of the best shows ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbCkBd-K ... r_embedded

im not the biggest fan of their albums (though tennessee fire and it still moves are great), but live they are great.
  • pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,817
    I really have been getting into them more and more and I agree 100% with the OP. I hope to catch them live again sometime soon. I have seen them open for PJ 3 times, that's all.

Also, if anyone has extra copies of It Still Moves or At Dawn on vinyl please let me know. I can only really find them on ebay or amazon, and most of them are new. I ordered one and it was still sealed and totally warped when I opened it. Pretty disappointed, and now I'm trying to avoid buying a sealed one.
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • DillsnufusDillsnufus Posts: 1,165
    okonokos changed my life. good headphones and that is like pure heroin in the veins(not that i know but you get the hyperbole) . dondante is one of the best songs ever. great jam and emotional .
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,516
    It Still Moves is one of the best records EVER!
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    edited April 2010
    ML181059 wrote:
    i never heard of them until i saw them open for pearl jam in boston and they ROCKED it live.

glad you liked the new black keys.

mmj seem like the type of band that I must see live before i die. A few years ago, they were supposedly the best live band in the world. i dont know if thats still the consensus, but i would love to see them one time!

You missed 2 epic Portland shows in the last few years. Once at the Crystal Ballroom and then a very amazing show at Edgefield.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcABsf9M ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPzuQTCD ... re=related
    Post edited by South of Seattle on
    NERDS!
  • I fucking love Evil Urges. I don't get all the hate. But whatever. 8-)
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    MMJ is the shit, and I agree with you on Jim James and his trend-starting reverb vocals. When I first heard the Fleet Foxes I immediately thought of MMJ...now everytime I hear them, I can't help but think about how much better MMJ is. :?
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Dillsnufus wrote:
    okonokos changed my life. good headphones and that is like pure heroin in the veins(not that i know but you get the hyperbole) . dondante is one of the best songs ever. great jam and emotional .

Okonokos = One of THE best live albums. Ever.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Dillsnufus wrote:

fo sho!
  • "Steam Engine" is giving me the body chills right now :D
    2006: Albany
    2008: MSG I, MSG II, Newark(EV)
    2009: Albany 1-2(EV), Philly 3
    2010: Boston, MSG I
    2013: Buffalo, Brooklyn II, Hartford
    2016: MSG 1, MSG II, Fenway 1
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,362
    how about Cobra? Any Cobra fans? Such an awesome song!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • mfc2006 wrote:

I tried to buy it on iTunes to give it a listen but its 24 mins long :shock: I might have to youtube it
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,362
    mfc2006 wrote:

I tried to buy it on iTunes to give it a listen but its 24 mins long :shock: I might have to youtube it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbm2CHulY7E

wish i could find a video from the Stubb's (Austin) show in 2008. but this one's not bad.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • jr19jr19 Posts: 338
    mfc2006 wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbm2CHulY7E

wish i could find a video from the Stubb's (Austin) show in 2008. but this one's not bad.
    haha... come on cobra is only 14 mins. just listen!!
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,395
    Seems as if Band of Horses is following in the footsteps of MMJ.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Seems as if Band of Horses is following in the footsteps of MMJ.

Theirs is like a little pink ballet slipper compared to MMJ's Sasquatch stomp.
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,583
    jr19 wrote:
    haha... come on cobra is only 14 mins. just listen!![/quote]

actually he was right. the studio version of cobra is about 25 minutes long. it's a lot shorter when they play it live and it is awesome. the studio version kinda drags, but still a killer song.
  • jr19 wrote:
    haha... come on cobra is only 14 mins. just listen!!

actually he was right. the studio version of cobra is about 25 minutes long. it's a lot shorter when they play it live and it is awesome. the studio version kinda drags, but still a killer song.[/quote]

Yea 25 minutes of music seems like it would drag a bit but could be awesome! I hate how iTunes won't allow you to purchase songs that are over 10 min without buying the whole album. Happens to me with Phish all the time, I just wanna buy "David Bowie" for christ sake without having to purchase all of Junta
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,251
    I couldn't find a link to Jim's solo version but this is still one of the greatest cover versions of all time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPDhGbsVhJc
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,419
    Zoso wrote:
    only PJ and wilco are better bands in my book.
    ^
    what this guy said
    add radiohead to the mix as well
    The MMJ show I saw at radiio city was one of the best performances Ive ever seen

Zoso, did you get to a Wilco show on this leg? They were just fantastic
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,583
    Get_Right wrote:
    Zoso wrote:
    only PJ and wilco are better bands in my book.
    ^
    what this guy said
    add radiohead to the mix as well
    The MMJ show I saw at radiio city was one of the best performances Ive ever seen

Zoso, did you get to a Wilco show on this leg? They were just fantastic

i'm not zoso, but i hit up two of those wilco shows on the tour. scranton and philly. they were amazing. 38/39 songs respectively, one short encore break. just 3+ hours of great music and guitar shredding. definitely one of the best tours i've been a part of.

i have to slighty disagree with the comments though. at this stage in their career i put mmj above pj. wilco and mmj, then pj, then somewhere in the mix radiohead. pj is my band though, so at this point we're just splitting hairs....but... i was fortunate enough to witness mmj at bonnaroo '08 from the rail, having seen that, it's hard fore me to believe that there is a better live band on the planet right now.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,419
    i'm not zoso, but i hit up two of those wilco shows on the tour. scranton and philly. they were amazing. 38/39 songs respectively, one short encore break. just 3+ hours of great music and guitar shredding. definitely one of the best tours i've been a part of.

i have to slighty disagree with the comments though. at this stage in their career i put mmj above pj. wilco and mmj, then pj, then somewhere in the mix radiohead. pj is my band though, so at this point we're just splitting hairs....but... i was fortunate enough to witness mmj at bonnaroo '08 from the rail, having seen that, it's hard fore me to believe that there is a better live band on the planet right now.
    you are not Zoso :?: :?: :lol:

That last wilco tour was amazing-I caught three NJx2 and hartford. Just amazing. 3hrs no break. $45. Perfect.
    MMj is great live, but I prefer Pj's music-thats the only difference.
    When you get the level of these bands, its just a question of musical preference.
  • pearl spampearl spam Posts: 154
    seen mmj years ago @ glastonbury. was not mad into them at the time but came away very impressed.
    now i have grown into a big fan and have everthing they have done, fecking amazing band!!
    would love to see them support pj
    28/10/96--29/10/96--29/5/00--30/5/00--3/6/00--4/6/00--6/6/00--25/8/06--27/8/06--13/6/07--18/6/07--11/8/09--13/8/09--15/8/09--17/8/09--18/8/09
    pearl spam wrote:
    seen mmj years ago @ glastonbury. was not mad into them at the time but came away very impressed.
    now i have grown into a big fan and have everthing they have done, fecking amazing band!!
    would love to see them support pj

i don't think they'll be supporting PJ again. glad i got to see them together in 2006. MMJ is selling out MSG themselves now.
  • ElzarElzar Posts: 966
    "Steam Engine" is giving me the body chills right now :D

if anyone hasnt seen this yet -
    most awesome version of Steam Engine - JJ acoustic !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSHM5FiOChY
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Dillsnufus wrote:

that and kicking the televison by wilco are the 2 best in my book.

fans should check out ole' sweet nuthin cover on that best of bonaroo compilation that is free by the way....
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,250
    Ed & MMJ in East Rutherford in 06 2nd night cover of " It Makes No Difference" is one of the best musical moments i have witnessed up close & personal ...Love MMJ ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....