What is proper fence etiquette with your neighbor?

Comments

• HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    1. Check to see if you need a permit for the dimensions of fence you want.

2. Check to see whether or not you can build on the property line or whether it needs to be set back from the property line. Inquire about any necessity to tend to the grass on the neighbour's side of the fence.

3. Decide on what kind of fence materials you want to use.

4. Have a land survey done to ensure you know where the property line is. You'll never regret this.

5. Book your contractor and get a hard date for construction.

6. Take the high road and tell your neighbour. Go ahead and use the dog as a reason.

I had my old garage taken down last summer and a new, larger one put up in it's place. My next door neighbour rents his place out (luckily to some really good folks) and I had not met him until he (as a complete stranger) walked up to me in my yard and started questioning me about why I had my garage built on (what he thought was) the property line. I stuck my hand out, introduced myself, said "hello," and proceeded to point out that I had the property line surveyed and marked, and that he was completely wrong about where the property line was. As it turns out, his garage is the one infringing on it.

I offered three times to go inside and bring out the survey paperwork, but after physically showing him the markers in the ground and pointing his error out he declined, shut up, and went away. Two days later a city inspector happened to come by to check on my garage. Since I was in-the-right nothing happened.

I guess the property owner next door and I won't be BBQ pals when he retires and moves in. *sigh*
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    dunkman wrote:
    No-one here drinks fosters....it's so bad we send it as far away as possible! :lol:

thats a bit like the UK and its criminals... they were so bad we sent them as far away as possible! ;);)

and whos laughing now??? :lol::lol:

probably the guy who knocked down your fence. ;) :twisted:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    dunkman wrote:
    dunkman wrote:
    thats a bit like the UK and its criminals... they were so bad we sent them as far away as possible! ;);)

probably the guy who knocked down your fence. ;) :twisted:

touche.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • JoJo Posts: 2,098
    dunkman wrote:
    No-one here drinks fosters....it's so bad we send it as far away as possible! :lol:

Awesome. 8-):lol:
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    HeavyHands wrote:

2. Check to see whether or not you can build on the property line or whether it needs to be set back from the property line. Inquire about any necessity to tend to the grass on the neighbour's side of the fence.

4. Have a land survey done to ensure you know where the property line is. You'll never regret this.

6. Take the high road and tell your neighbour. Go ahead and use the dog as a reason.

I had my old garage taken down last summer and a new, larger one put up in it's place. My next door neighbour rents his place out (luckily to some really good folks) and I had not met him until he (as a complete stranger) walked up to me in my yard and started questioning me about why I had my garage built on (what he thought was) the property line. I stuck my hand out, introduced myself, said "hello," and proceeded to point out that I had the property line surveyed and marked, and that he was completely wrong about where the property line was. As it turns out, his garage is the one infringing on it.

I offered three times to go inside and bring out the survey paperwork, but after physically showing him the markers in the ground and pointing his error out he declined, shut up, and went away. Two days later a city inspector happened to come by to check on my garage. Since I was in-the-right nothing happened.

I guess the property owner next door and I won't be BBQ pals when he retires and moves in. *sigh*

thanks for the info. how much do surveys tend to run?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    hey the jeagler
    i thought you were in real estate of some sort, yes/no?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    chadwick wrote:
    hey the jeagler
    No, he is an actor/writer/director.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Favreau
    Rygar wrote:
    chadwick wrote:
    hey the jeagler
    No, he is an actor/writer/director.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Favreau

nicely done
    the both of you
    the jeagler & rygar

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    when the jeagler has the fence installed will his friend the robin shit on it and build nests in and above it?
    i am voting for bird shit on the neighbors.
    bird shit should always be on a neighbors and the fence.
    :mrgreen:

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    81 wrote:
    i dunno....my house came with a fence. hell, the entire neighbor hood came with a fence. :lol:

my kind of neighbor hood !! ;)
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    These people sound like aholes so i say get ur property boundaries correct and put the fence up while they are at work.

or burn their house down. but whatever.

edit. HA ! I just saw Chadwicks idea after posting. you know what they say about great minds,..?
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
    chadwick wrote:
    i vote you burn it down

your neighbor's house

haha @ the wolf

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    the wolf wrote:
    These people sound like aholes so i say get ur property boundaries correct and put the fence up while they are at work.

or burn their house down. but whatever.

edit. HA ! I just saw Chadwicks idea after posting. you know what they say about great minds,..?
    you're hilarious, dude.
    that made me laugh.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    thanks for the info. how much do surveys tend to run?

I paid $375 and they provided several certified copies of an overhead view CAD drawing of my property and the borders of the adjacent properties and street.

I had to provide a copy of the survey when I filed paperwork to have the garage put up.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    HeavyHands wrote:

THAT made me laugh!

excellent advice.

and, we HATE our next door neighbor. HATE. when they first moved in, tried being neighborly and all.....got quite friendly really. however, the husband is a car mechanic, and he basically runs a side-business out of his garage at all hours. it is hideous. we should've gotten serious about it from day one, but didn't want to have bad neighborly relations. stupid. at this point, the hatred is mutual, so just extra stress and problems longer than necessary. ALL out other neighbors are fab, but of course the ONE neighbor who's property is THE closest to us, and especially our bedroom....has to be this asshat. ahhhhhhhhh...... :x :evil: :lol:

good luck with your fence jeags....fences DO make good neighbors. :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

chadwick wrote:
    hey the jeagler

i do mortgages--99% refinances. nothing to do with fences?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    chadwick wrote:
    hey the jeagler

Whats the rates now on a 30yr fixed ?
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    if there is a condo association, also check the by laws
    otherwise build it high enough so that it blocks any and all sun your neighbors might get. :lol::lol:
  • Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    In the city I live, you have to get a permit from the city to build a fence and the city usually sends the people affected a letter telling them that if they object, when, where and how they can make their objections.
    Save room for dessert!
  • Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    I was friendly with my neighbor until I caught her and my bf in my computer room in front of the webcam without clothes on.
    Then I found out she is a heroin addict hooker!!
    There is no fence big enough to block that out!!! Oh, but she is in jail...lol!!! That will keep her gone for awhile...teehee.
    Her mother-in-law and schizophrenic bro-in-law still live there. They are drunks who plug up all the drains in their house and turn the water on and go and pass out. She has flooded her floors so badly that now they are pouring out into my lawn...yuck! There nasty ass dishwater, bathwater, etc. (no toilet water...thankfully).
    Oh, and then she is using the city's program for low-income people to get things fixed in their homes to get it all fixed, although she is still flooding the place all the time. She somehow equates excessive use of water with cleanliness. She'll turn on her hose, lay it on her driveway to stream down the driveway, and then shut it off 3 days later. Then, she cries to various churches to help her pay for her bills.
    All these agencies and programs enable the bitch! She's getting new carpet and all.
    I now know that if I want new carpet and anything else all I have to do is trash it and the city will give me new!! I qualify, so why not?
    Sickening, isn't it?

I refuse to ever talk to this bitch again. I once took her to the store to cash a $50.00 check the church gave her and the entire thing went on booze and tobacco!! She doesn't even go to church. She uses about 4 or 5 of them. She shops around for programs and churches who will do these things.
    She's not that low of an income. She makes more than we do.
    They'll pay rent, utilities, food, clothes medical, transportation and repairs. She has shown me how to do this.
    She also shaves her head bald and lets others think she has cancer. I call her cancerhead these days.
    No fence will help.
    Save room for dessert!
    chadwick wrote:
    hey the jeagler

Whats the rates now on a 30yr fixed ?

bout 5.25% or so. depends on your credit/equity/income etc etc etc...
    chinese-happy.jpg
    chadwick wrote:
    hey the jeagler

maybe home loans have something to do with property?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    Heatherj43 wrote:
    I was friendly with my neighbor until I caught her and my bf in my computer room in front of the webcam without clothes on.
    Then I found out she is a heroin addict hooker!!
    There is no fence big enough to block that out!!! Oh, but she is in jail...lol!!! That will keep her gone for awhile...teehee.
    Her mother-in-law and schizophrenic bro-in-law still live there. They are drunks who plug up all the drains in their house and turn the water on and go and pass out. She has flooded her floors so badly that now they are pouring out into my lawn...yuck! There nasty ass dishwater, bathwater, etc. (no toilet water...thankfully).
    Oh, and then she is using the city's program for low-income people to get things fixed in their homes to get it all fixed, although she is still flooding the place all the time. She somehow equates excessive use of water with cleanliness. She'll turn on her hose, lay it on her driveway to stream down the driveway, and then shut it off 3 days later. Then, she cries to various churches to help her pay for her bills.
    All these agencies and programs enable the bitch! She's getting new carpet and all.
    I now know that if I want new carpet and anything else all I have to do is trash it and the city will give me new!! I qualify, so why not?
    Sickening, isn't it?

I refuse to ever talk to this bitch again. I once took her to the store to cash a $50.00 check the church gave her and the entire thing went on booze and tobacco!! She doesn't even go to church. She uses about 4 or 5 of them. She shops around for programs and churches who will do these things.
    She's not that low of an income. She makes more than we do.
    They'll pay rent, utilities, food, clothes medical, transportation and repairs. She has shown me how to do this.
    She also shaves her head bald and lets others think she has cancer. I call her cancerhead these days.
    No fence will help.

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh....i remember this story. you posted this on gtp last year right? sounds so familiar
    chinese-happy.jpg
    chadwick wrote:
    chadwick wrote:
    hey the jeagler

i guess, kinda. i'm no appraiser though chadwick!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Jo wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

that's right... just skip past my awesome response and Cate's very gracious 'touche'... you are of course welcome to your opinion on the above posts but remember that opinions are like orgasms... i don't care if you have one and my own one is more important. :thumbup:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    dunkman wrote:
    Jo wrote:

that's right... just skip past my awesome response and Cate's very gracious 'touche'... you are of course welcome to your opinion on the above posts but remember that opinions are like orgasms... i don't care if you have one and my own one is more important. :thumbup:
    :geek: :lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382

for anyone unaware, the jeagler caused our economic meltdown............almost singlehandedly. :shock:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    chadwick wrote:

i guess, kinda. i'm no appraiser though chadwick!

i'll let it slide just this once.
    don't let it happen again.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,412
    imalive wrote:

for anyone unaware, the jeagler caused our economic meltdown............almost singlehandedly. :shock:
    thats why the robins attacked him last year!!!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    mickeyrat wrote:
    imalive wrote:

thats why the robins attacked him last year!!!

This year I'm sending a full blown murder after him...
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/