Options

What is proper fence etiquette with your neighbor?

Comments

• Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,809
    D2D...it wasn't necessarily aimed at you. I think deep down, I'd just like to make sure that when people think of me, they don't see a guy with 4 teeth fucking his sister and smoking a Marlboro Red and moonshine pours off her ass cheeks.

But you're right, land is a premium in NYC. Here in West TN, if I have to give up a little here and there, it's not as crucial to me. Then again, my yard is over 1.5 acres and I have 150 goddamn motherfucking trees that I hate with my hellbound soul.

Other than that, I like the area :)
    You hunt and eat racoons.....

Enough said.....

*smooch*
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    D2D...it wasn't necessarily aimed at you. I think deep down, I'd just like to make sure that when people think of me, they don't see a guy with 4 teeth fucking his sister and smoking a Marlboro Red and moonshine pours off her ass cheeks.

But you're right, land is a premium in NYC. Here in West TN, if I have to give up a little here and there, it's not as crucial to me. Then again, my yard is over 1.5 acres and I have 150 goddamn motherfucking trees that I hate with my hellbound soul.

Other than that, I like the area :)

well to be fair, i always thought of you with 7 teeth, and your sister sucking your balls.

and even outside of NYC, land is a premium. a BIG premium. i have a fairly large lot for my area, and it's all of 75x100. so you betcha, i do not willingly give any of my neighbors an inch of it. i have 12 trees and i love each and every one of them. :D

and hey, i didn't feel like you were aiming your comments at me, no worries....just b/c i made the 'hick' joke, i wanted to calrify. wouldn't want to hurt your feelings... ;)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    has anyone ever known of a surveyor to be wrong?

i just got home and his steaks for my property line seem to be about 5 feet closer to my house than i thought they would be...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,886

i just got home and his steaks for my property line seem to be about 5 feet closer to my house than i thought they would be...
    has your neighbor perhaps moved them over that far before you got home? look for holes wgere you thought it might be.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat wrote:

has your neighbor perhaps moved them over that far before you got home? look for holes wgere you thought it might be.

i have an end unit. i'm referring to the other side of the house...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mickeyrat wrote:

ohhh , I see.

Question, what did you base your original guess on?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

ohhh , I see.

just on where the previous owners had cut their grass out to...where the hoa landscapers cut the common grass too...and how far out others have their fences. those people could have put theirs up without getting a survey done. with my garden on the side of the house, i don't really have enough room for the gate unless i put it in the back of the house...or if i scrape the garden and just throw some sod down.

this is a lot more trouble than i originally had planned.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    mickeyrat wrote:
    ohhh , I see.

just on where the previous owners had cut their grass out to...where the hoa landscapers cut the common grass too...and how far out others have their fences. those people could have put theirs up without getting a survey done. with my garden on the side of the house, i don't really have enough room for the gate unless i put it in the back of the house...or if i scrape the garden and just throw some sod down.

nah , gotta keep the garden. ask your other neighbors ? the ones with fences farther out? see how they went about it?

As for the more trouble bit. Lotta work being an stand up law abiding citizen!!
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

• Options
    unlost dogsunlost dogs Greater Boston Posts: 12,553
    It will be worth it in the end, though. You can't put a price on the privacy.

Could they have instituted some kind of mandatory setback that you weren't aware of? If other units have a different fence line you could argue the fact.

I didn't read the whole thread, but you might consider double-locking gates. Took my original Lab 15 minutes to figure out how to open it. The crew that put up the fence were driving away and he had already opened it and headed to the beach at the end of our street.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Options
    mickeyrat wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

nah , gotta keep the garden. ask your other neighbors ? the ones with fences farther out? see how they went about it?

yeah i dont know those people. they are not really my neighbors just people who live in the development. if i see 'em out walking the dog tomorrow i will ask though.

and that's not the real "garden" part of the garden. i just have that kind of 4 feet deep barrier around my house with bushes and small flowers and shit...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,501
    steaks or stakes? :wtf:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options

yeah i dont know those people. they are not really my neighbors just people who live in the development. if i see 'em out walking the dog tomorrow i will ask though.

and that's not the real "garden" part of the garden. i just have that kind of 4 feet deep barrier around my house with bushes and small flowers and shit...
    Ohhhh, more is revealed. I think they refer to that kind of thing as "landscaping"!!! :mrgreen:

• Options

literal "shit"? :wtf:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive wrote:

literal "shit"? :wtf:
    he does have a dog!!!! :lol:

• Options
    imalive wrote:
    steaks or stakes? :wtf:

cheese steaks. the guy left actual cheese steaks.

he was not very professional.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Neighbours + loud rock 'N Roll music + wild 24 hour parties = complaints and uptight individuals. Therefore, neighbours suck elephants!

End of discussion.
  • Options
    JoJo Posts: 2,098
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Neighbours + loud rock 'N Roll music + wild 24 hour parties = complaints and uptight individuals. Therefore, neighbours suck elephants!

End of discussion.

What if the above is the norm, but you have 3 hectares with stock proof fenching on your behalf? but you own NO stock, but let your neighbors horses in to keep the grass down.......HEY!?? what then? Who is responsible for putting on a BBQ fully cattered??? HEY?..... Who supplies the Food and Wine?.........stupid fences. :|

Thats why I have installed a gate between all my neighbors, my BBQ is thiers, but only if thier starving :mrgreen:
  • Options
    i don't have the actual survey report yet. i haven't even paid for this thing as of now. i am just going by the stakes in the yard. comparing my appraisal from a few years ago (property lines have not changed since then) to me walking off the distance between the stakes i think i'm getting jipped by about 6 square feet or so. it was kind of dark when i was walking it off but i think i was fairly accurate. i am going to whip out the ol' tape measure tomorrow to get my actual measurement though.

hey cory--with appraisals, you guys just go off what the county courthouse has for the property's dimensions right? how could a surveyor have different info?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    okay...so i measured everything with my tape measure and...........it looks like the surveyor was right on point. a few of my neighbors were out there looking at it with me and they all assumed our properties all went at least another 5 feet out. that's where the landscapers cut the common grass to...

which leads me to this: do you think a fence guy would be willing to go out an extra few feet from where the survey is? keep in mind it is not infringing on anyone's land other than, technically the hoa. the hoa just needs a copy of the survey to okay the fence. i do not believe they are going to come out and measure or get their own survey done to make sure everything lines up unless, maybe someone complains--which they wont because it seems everyone in this general area assumed the property extended out a few more feet. wost case scenario is the hoa will force me to take it down or impose fines if it is over the property line...but if i provide proof that i got the survey done and everything, i don't see them even thinking about this further...

what say you?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    okay...so i measured everything with my tape measure and...........it looks like the surveyor was right on point. a few of my neighbors were out there looking at it with me and they all assumed our properties all went at least another 5 feet out. that's where the landscapers cut the common grass to...

which leads me to this: do you think a fence guy would be willing to go out an extra few feet from where the survey is? keep in mind it is not infringing on anyone's land other than, technically the hoa. the hoa just needs a copy of the survey to okay the fence. i do not believe they are going to come out and measure or get their own survey done to make sure everything lines up unless, maybe someone complains--which they wont because it seems everyone in this general area assumed the property extended out a few more feet. wost case scenario is the hoa will force me to take it down or impose fines if it is over the property line...but if i provide proof that i got the survey done and everything, i don't see them even thinking about this further...

what say you?
    seems you know the risks. in addition , I take it you have been taking care of the grass that doesn't "belong" to you? Any of the other neighbors with fences in place outside of the property line already have any issues with the hoa? If they didn't , I'd say go for it. But it is your wallet.

• Options
    mickeyrat wrote:

what say you?
    seems you know the risks. in addition , I take it you have been taking care of the grass that doesn't "belong" to you? Any of the other neighbors with fences in place outside of the property line already have any issues with the hoa? If they didn't , I'd say go for it. But it is your wallet.

yes and i'll continue to cut outside of my area. not sure if others have had issues though...

where is the hammerdonkey when you need him? come on dude--chime in! i need an appraiser's opinion on all this.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    Jo wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:

End of discussion.

What if the above is the norm, but you have 3 hectares with stock proof fenching on your behalf? but you own NO stock, but let your neighbors horses in to keep the grass down.......HEY!?? what then? Who is responsible for putting on a BBQ fully cattered??? HEY?..... Who supplies the Food and Wine?.........stupid fences. :|

Thats why I have installed a gate between all my neighbors, my BBQ is thiers, but only if thier starving :mrgreen:

I think I must live in the worlds most perfect street. Seriously it is no through road with only 19 blocks all between 3/4 - 2 acres, and everyone gets along. We all know who each other are, but don't live in each others pockets. And we also have a gate between our place and the neighbours. It is like a mini utopia.....and especially after other places where I had the nieghbours from hell. I had neighbours once who were on a first name basis with the cops. We had to call the cops at least twice a week and when you'd give the cops the address the response was" Not them again!!!!" OH yeah....I wouldn't trade this street for anything.
  • Options
    this is turning into a cluster.....maybe the jeagler should just move. :?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    spoke to the surveryor. he said, in his research, that most people with fences in my development didn't even get a survey done. apparently he can tell because they would all have to have the metal stakes in the ground.

so i'm just gonna check with the fence dude to see if he will go over the line for me.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
    Depends if they are gypsies or not ;);) :wave:
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    spoke to the surveryor. he said, in his research, that most people with fences in my development didn't even get a survey done. apparently he can tell because they would all have to have the metal stakes in the ground.

so i'm just gonna check with the fence dude to see if he will go over the line for me.

ok... but when youre asked to pull your fence down cause its over the boundary, dont be starting a thread whingeing at the authorites. :P :mrgreen:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options

ok... but when youre asked to pull your fence down cause its over the boundary, dont be starting a thread whingeing at the authorites. :P :mrgreen:
    I'm getting the popcorn ready for that one!!!! :mrgreen:

• Options
    mickeyrat wrote:

I'm getting the popcorn ready for that one!!!! :mrgreen:

i know the risks young catherine. i know the risks.

by the way...i never met the surveyor in person. just phone and email. the fiance met him and said he "looks like a rapist." :lol: she gathered up the dog and left the house for a couple hours while he was doing his work. my dog walker said he looked odd too. i didn't think too much of it until last night. he told me he would drop the survey off on my front door yesterday if we were not home. i get back from work around 10pm--no survey. so an hour later i am watching tv and the dog starts barking. i ignore her and tell her to shut up. at 11:30 i let her out to pee and there is the survey sitting right in front of my door. the guy dropped it off at 11pm at night. odd, huh?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    HammerdonkeyHammerdonkey Posts: 550
    Jeags, your property dimensions are public info. For example, if you own a rectangular shaped lot, your tax records will clearly show the length and width and it may be something like 100x150 or 75x125. The more irregular the shape, the more difficult it is to determine where those lines begin and end.

An appraiser would use courthouse info for your lot data.

A surveyor would use title work. The legal description on the title is far more detailed. In some cases, a page long of boring writing that start with the northeast corner going southwest for a distance of 75 feet blah blah blah.

An easy thing to do would be call a realtor and ask what homeowners typically do when building a fence. How close do they get to the property line? How do they determine the property line? Make sure it's a relatively decent agent that has been in the business for several years. This isn't something a newb would know.
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Jeags, your property dimensions are public info. For example, if you own a rectangular shaped lot, your tax records will clearly show the length and width and it may be something like 100x150 or 75x125. The more irregular the shape, the more difficult it is to determine where those lines begin and end.

Yes that is true - you can just go to the tax records which is what we did and we're a simple rectangular property. One thing we discovered was the property dimension depth-wise was measured from the center of the road we are on. I don't know if that's the case everywhere though.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008