What is proper fence etiquette with your neighbor?

The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
edited December 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
so i am going to have a fence installed in the next month or so. the reason is mainly so my dog can run around unchained in the backyard. however the underlying issue is we cant stand our neighbors. we live in an end unit townhouse so we're right on top of each other. they have 3 kids. and it seems like all of the neighborhood kids congregate right off of our yard--sometimes on it. i dont want to seem like a grumpy old dude yelling at people to get off my property. but at the same time i enjoy my privacy. right now i'm staring at them having a football catch at the bottom of my yard. its pretty annoying.

my neighbors and i also dont get along too well. i did a refinance for them a few years ago. my mom handled the notary duties as well. i priced it so low i barely got paid on it and my mom gave them a huge discount. but i remember them grilling us over over every little item in the closing packet like they didnt trust us or something. then not even a year later they applied for another refi with my company. a different loan officer had to assure them that the deal i gave them was the friend and family discount and that there was no way he could offer anything better. so i've always been ticked off about that. plus they have this stupid little dog who does nothing but bark and bark and bark. its just annoying. whenever they are out there, we tend to stay inside.

ANYWHO----what is the protocall here? is it common courtesy to inform your next door neighbor that you are installing a fence. is it considered rude to not say anything? what say you?
chinese-happy.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    i should mention the fence is a 6 foot tall shadow box fence. so its pretty private. its the only kind out hoa will allow...

actually the only problem with it is my grill is on our patio which happens to be right next to their deck. so i will still have to deal with them when i'm grilling up some mouth watering treats.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • NoCode416NoCode416 Posts: 416
    next time you see the neighbor while walking the dog, just mention the fact that you're planning on having a fence installed so that your dog can have a little more freedom.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I think its up to you whether to notify them or not. I would check with the municipality though on their regulations, so as not to miss something that gives your neighbour a recent to call the municipality, every municipality has fence regulations. Good luck.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,742
    I would contact them and let them know that you're putting in a fence. the reason why is none of their business, but it's important to go over the property lines and to make sure you agree upon the fence's placement.

A neighbor at my friends place built a stonewalled 'fence' that was about a foot thick. He didn't consult with the other neighbors, and mistakenly set the ground work for the fence in the wrong property....whoops.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,383
    i dont want to seem like a grumpy old dude yelling at people to get off my property. but at the same time i enjoy my privacy.

the jeagler:

hyegoml+Gran+Torino.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,015
    I saw a king of queens re run the other day regarding this

funny stuff
  • haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    I would contact them and let them know that you're putting in a fence. the reason why is none of their business, but it's important to go over the property lines and to make sure you agree upon the fence's placement.

A neighbor at my friends place built a stonewalled 'fence' that was about a foot thick. He didn't consult with the other neighbors, and mistakenly set the ground work for the fence in the wrong property....whoops.
    yeah make sure you talk to them.
    building on the wrong side of the property line will get you in big troubles!

our neighbours behind us about 9 years ago put up a new fence - but decided to let all the neighbours know AFTER they built it, and then wanted to collect money from all of us who were bordering their yard... ummmmm maybe you should have asked us before you put your own labour and materials into it... :roll:
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    I think it's a good idea to mention to them that you're putting a fence up and even though they really don't need to know why, you can just say it's for the dog
    peacegirl wrote:
    I think it's a good idea to mention to them that you're putting a fence up and even though they really don't need to know why, you can just say it's for the dog
    lol yah and don't tell them its for their yappy one
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    Piss on his lawn and tell him it's good for the grass..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,426
    here's the etiquette. build the fence. then once it's done throw your dogss shit over the fence, but only when yappy is yapping.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    imalive wrote:
    i dont want to seem like a grumpy old dude yelling at people to get off my property. but at the same time i enjoy my privacy.

the jeagler:

hyegoml+Gran+Torino.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:
    That movie was exactly what I was thinking!

I agree that you need to be absolutely sure about the property lines, especially with neighbors you don't get along with in the first place. I've heard too many horror stories about people putting up fences and finding out they were on their neighbors' property.

I would let them know you're putting in the fence, not as a courtesy so much since it sounds like these people are jerks anyway. Just so they don't have something else to be pissy about. "He had that huge fence installed and didn't even tell us about it." I know it's none of their business but they sound like the kind of people who would make an issue out of anything.

They probably won't even realize that you're doing THEM a favor by putting in a fence. If they want to install one, they can just join up to yours.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    i dunno....my house came with a fence. hell, the entire neighbor hood came with a fence. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i woke up one day to find my entire back fence missing. seriously.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • alivegirlalivegirl Posts: 124

what did you do :?:
  • JoJo Posts: 2,098
    . so i've always been ticked off about that. plus they have this stupid little dog who does nothing but bark and bark and bark. its just annoying. whenever they are out there, we tend to stay inside.

what say you?

In Australia, everyone has fencing.

By our law, you have to sort this issue out with your neighbour and you have to pay half your share of costs to have the fence installed..
    If your neighbour knocks on your door and says he's putting up a fence, it is manditory that you WILL pay half costs.
    period. :D

Rules are, you both must have a final agreement on
    What Fence?
    What Screening?
    What Gates?

and get the hose out on thier yapping dog.

:D
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I'm in the minority or alone on this one I guess but I wouldn't mention a thing. I would be sure the property is surveyed and marked properly. They will see the flags and pretty much figure it out unless they are not so smart.
    I think by telling them it could open a conversation that you might not want to have if they don't like the idea of a privacy fence. They seem to be, from your description a little"me" focused, self centered maybe and may assume if they didn't want it you might reconsider, which of course is ridiculous. Its hard to second guess what people think, expect the unexpected maybe.
    It will much nicer for your little family with the fence.
    Good luck
  • flywallyflyflywallyfly Posts: 1,453
    These people sound like aholes so i say get ur property boundaries correct and put the fence up while they are at work.
    mickeyrat wrote:
    here's the etiquette. build the fence. then once it's done throw your dogss shit over the fence, but only when yappy is yapping.
    i was listening to the radio once when a guy said his neighbours left their dogs outside and hte dogs wouldn't stop barking... so get this,

what he did was waited for it to rain... then he got oxo cubes like beef flavour, and he threw a bunch over the fence all over their yard.

the dogs wouldnt stop digging holes in the ENTIRE yard... just holes, holes everywhere.
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    Jo wrote:
    . so i've always been ticked off about that. plus they have this stupid little dog who does nothing but bark and bark and bark. its just annoying. whenever they are out there, we tend to stay inside.

what say you?

By our law, you have to sort this issue out with your neighbour and you have to pay half your share of costs to have the fence installed..
    If your neighbour knocks on your door and says he's putting up a fence, it is manditory that you WILL pay half costs.

What Fence?
    What Screening?
    What Gates?

what about the fist fights from arguing about fencing while being all loaded up on Fosters?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    i vote you burn it down

your neighbor's house
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Getoffmylawn.jpg
    The oceans made me, but who came up with love?

"You put some udder cream on that shit?" ~EV 5/17/10
  • i don't think you have to tell your neighbors anything, but you do have to make sure you're putting it entirely on your property. checking quickly online, it says you don't need a permit for a fence 7 feet or shorter...but i'd still check with some local legal office. and if i were you, i'd put it up a few inches inside your property line...only problem with that is you'll have to mow the lawn on both sides of the fence.
    9/1/00, 9/2/00, 9/3/00, 12/31/00, 3/2/01, 4/29/01, 6/21/01, 7/25/01, 8/31/01, 9/1/01, 9/2/01, 4/18/02, 8/30/02, 8/31/02, 8/31/02, 9/1/02, 9/22/02, 3/22/03, 5/6/03, 6/29/03, 8/29/03, 8/30/03, 8/30/03, 8/31/03, 2/21/04, 4/2/04, 4/3/04, 9/3/04, 9/4/04, 9/4/04, 9/5/04, 2/19/05, 7/22/05, 9/2/05, 9/3/05, 9/3/05, 9/4/05, 1/22/06, 6/7/06, 9/1/06, 9/2/06, 9/2/06, 9/3/06, 7/6/07, 8/31/07, 9/1/07, 9/1/07, 9/2/07, 3/7/08, 8/29/08, 8/30/08, 8/30/08, 8/31/08, 7/11/09, 6/4/10, 6/11/11
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,426
    haffajappa wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:
    i was listening to the radio once when a guy said his neighbours left their dogs outside and hte dogs wouldn't stop barking... so get this,

what he did was waited for it to rain... then he got oxo cubes like beef flavour, and he threw a bunch over the fence all over their yard.

the dogs wouldnt stop digging holes in the ENTIRE yard... just holes, holes everywhere.
    from the sounds of it , Jeags neighbors might hurt the dog over that. But , it's a classic!!!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    alivegirl wrote:

what did you do :?:

well i swore a bit and then i went around and told him what i thought. he wouldnt even look me in the eye. we did agree to a new fence but not to what kind or when it would be replaced. i had no headsup whatsoever. it ended up being one of those zincalume fences which i hate, cause they make me feel like im living in a junkyard. fortunately it is a lovely shade of primrose yellow.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    chadwick wrote:
    Jo wrote:

what say you?

What Fence?
    What Screening?
    What Gates?

what about the fist fights from arguing about fencing while being all loaded up on Fosters?

Anyone who gets out of line is obviously punished by a booting.
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    chadwick wrote:
    Jo wrote:

what say you?

What Fence?
    What Screening?
    What Gates?

No-one here drinks fosters....it's so bad we send it as far away as possible! :lol:
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    No-one here drinks fosters....it's so bad we send it as far away as possible! :lol:

thats a bit like the UK and its criminals... they were so bad we sent them as far away as possible! ;);)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    it's a tricky one this... i'd most likely mention it in the passing and use the "dog needs space" excuse... but if i really didn't get on with them then i wouldnt mention anything...
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    dunkman wrote:

thats a bit like the UK and its criminals... they were so bad we sent them as far away as possible! ;);)

and whos laughing now??? :lol::lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say