Options

What is proper fence etiquette with your neighbor?

Comments

• Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I would reinforce it with barbed wire, maybe add a watch tower.. just incase.
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    I would reinforce it with barbed wire, maybe add a watch tower.. just incase.

I've always found claymores to be a subtle and classy touch as well.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    imalive wrote:

i do mortgages--99% refinances. nothing to do with fences?

for anyone unaware, the jeagler caused our economic meltdown............almost singlehandedly. :shock:

you fuckers are hilarious
    :lol:
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,938
    chadwick wrote:
    imalive wrote:

for anyone unaware, the jeagler caused our economic meltdown............almost singlehandedly. :shock:

you fuckers are hilarious
    Yeah , It was Jeags ANNNNNDDDD Black Diamond!! :mrgreen:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    who's starting the thread on black diamond and the jeagler being in cahoots with one another?
    to conspire against us all?
    black diamond & the jeagler?
    say it isn't so!

you fuckers are pretty slick back east aren't ya :mrgreen:

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,341
    imalive wrote:

and now i am getting rich with the recovery :thumbup: :mrgreen:
    HEY OH
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    well found a pretty good price....gotta get the survey done now.

cannot wait to have a lil bit a privacy and a yard for the pooch to run around in finally...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Did you ever tell the neighbors?
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    Did you ever tell the neighbors?

no...hahaha....most people that i talked to thought it'd be a good idea to just mention it in passing or after they saw the markings set up by the surveyor. plus i have not really had any conversations with them lately...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    no...hahaha....most people that i talked to thought it'd be a good idea to just mention it in passing or after they saw the markings set up by the surveyor. plus i have not really had any conversations with them lately...

i suggest you all have a neighborhood get together so you can talk about fences and whatnot

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    I don't know why I feel the need to say I haven't read 5 or 6 pages of fence material.

Anyway, around here, you should have a professional make sure your property lines are clearly defined for you. A lot of times, it can be as simple as the kind of grass that's planted in neighboring yards. Sometimes, stakes are already placed. BUT, that's something you just don't want to guess at because if you build a fence on any part of your neighbor's yard, then he owns that portion of the fence. Period.

Common practice is to define your bounds and then build a fence 3 feet inside those lines for precaution.

I would feel awkward if I didn't mention my dick and balls.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,191
    I don't know why I feel the need to say I haven't read 5 or 6 pages of fence material.

Anyway, around here, you should have a professional make sure your property lines are clearly defined for you. A lot of times, it can be as simple as the kind of grass that's planted in neighboring yards. Sometimes, stakes are already placed. BUT, that's something you just don't want to guess at because if you build a fence on any part of your neighbor's yard, then he owns that portion of the fence. Period.

Common practice is to define your bounds and then build a fence 3 feet inside those lines for precaution.

I would feel awkward if I didn't mention my dick and balls.

Thanks.

LOL...awesome!
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,761
    I think proper fence etiquette is to ask your neighbor before you build a fence. It is a shared property line, after all.

One of my neighbors built this ugly fence which boundaries a portion of my backyard. Later, I guess they realized they built it a few feet onto my property (I didn't tell them - I didn't have a clue), so the tore it up and moved it 2 feet....leaving a portion of my lawn with no grass and all torn up. It still hasn't grown back and they never said a word to me or offered to fix it...or picked up some of the scrap wood for that matter. They also didn't want to deal with the utility pole so they cut the corner and now have a small portion of their yard outside the fence and they never mow that or keep it in shape. If I didn't do it, it would have grass and weeds 3 feet high by the middle of the summer.

Also, if all 4 of the neighbors who border my backyard decided to put up fences, I'd have a fenced yard whether I wanted one or not....and obviously I don't.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options

I agree in principle, but if you do this, you need to make sure you maintain the portion outside of the fence. My neighbors don't subscribe to that principle.

(Note - not all neighbors are like this. The next door neighbors are a retired couple who talk to us all the time and he even edges my sidewalk for me everytime he mows.)

• Options
    know1 wrote:

I agree in principle, but if you do this, you need to make sure you maintain the portion outside of the fence. My neighbors don't subscribe to that principle.

(Note - not all neighbors are like this. The next door neighbors are a retired couple who talk to us all the time and he even edges my sidewalk for me everytime he mows.)

Easy fix....poison the grass since the land is not used. It will keep weeds from growing as well. If he doesn't like it, fuck him.

No, I don't mean bend him over and bang him I just mean, to hell with him and his grass.
  • Options
    know1 wrote:

Easy fix....poison the grass since the land is not used. It will keep weeds from growing as well. If he doesn't like it, fuck him.

No, I don't mean bend him over and bang him I just mean, to hell with him and his grass.

no no
    you really meant it
    the bending him over bit and the jeagler having sexual relations with his neighbor

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    Also, if you can get an agreement with your neighbors on both sides, you can build the fence directly down the property line and ask that they pay for the half that will benefit each of them since they will use it as well.

All future purchase contracts for the 3 properties involved will have to disclose that that portion of the fence is co-owned with the neighbor beside them. It's not "their" fence. It belongs to "both parties" assuming they do pay money for the service of the fence.

Licking of the nuts, etc.
  • Options
    know1 wrote:

i have an end unit townhome so the one side is going to be flush with their property line whether they like it or not...HEY OH.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    chadwick wrote:
    you really meant it
    the bending him over bit and the jeagler having sexual relations with his neighbor

I would love to see a video of Jeagler banging his neighbor.

As we all know, Jeags lives beside his mother.
  • Options
    Also, if you can get an agreement with your neighbors on both sides, you can build the fence directly down the property line and ask that they pay for the half that will benefit each of them since they will use it as well.

All future purchase contracts for the 3 properties involved will have to disclose that that portion of the fence is co-owned with the neighbor beside them. It's not "their" fence. It belongs to "both parties" assuming they do pay money for the service of the fence.

hopefully when the fence is erected and paid for by said neighbor(s), hopefully each neighbor paints the fence a different color.
    rainbow fencing with your host the jeagler :mrgreen:

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick wrote:

hopefully when the fence is erected and paid for by said neighbor(s), hopefully each neighbor paints the fence a different color.
    rainbow fencing with your host the jeagler :mrgreen:

There can be contractual clauses preventing painting of fences too. You can do anything with paper and a retarded person.
  • Options
    know1 wrote:

But that doesn't work, because then it just looks like dead grass until the weeds take over and start growing in its place. The answer is they should maintain it.

• Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    You can do anything with paper and a retarded person.

Except origami. That shit is hard.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    eyedclaar wrote:
    You can do anything with paper and a retarded person.

Except origami. That shit is hard.

well played sir, well played!

(and seriously, you are right...that shit IS hard! :shock: )

btw - i say put the fence *right* within your property line....when you live with the hicks as hammerdonkey does, you probably have loads of property. when you live with the civilized folks up north, ya don't. ;) therefore, we place fencing on or right within property borders. give 3 feet of your land to the neighbor?! :o hell no! i'll give an inch. maybe. ;) actually, one portion of our fence - between 2 large trees that technically are ours but are so large and over the property lines - is a good 6-12 inches within our property. the former owner put it up, and i have no idea why this one section of fencing is like that. actually, another bit of fencing is indented into our property moreso than the rest, mostly i think to be nice to the one neighbor so he could have access to the side of his garage. however, if we had the $$$ for new fencing (and we don't, more important shit to spend $$$ on) i would so make CERTAIN it was RIGHT within our proeprty line, b/c that current neighbor is the one we DESPISE...so fuck him and having access to the side of his garage aka repair shop. :twisted: :x :lol:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    To be clear, I don't live with "hicks". I live on a cove with 4 houses. One neighbor is a president of a bank. One is an attorney. The other was a retired millionaire. I appraise real estate so I'm quite familiar with lot sizes and shapes as well as the survey process to define the bounds of your lot tract. Legal descriptions are available to you at your courthouse and are very long descriptive black and white layouts of the land you call your own.

In this area, we have maps and parcel numbers. The northeast might have metes and bounds. I'm not sure. Regardless, there is public information available to you that clearly define your lot. A surveyor could do a better job telling you exactly what those dimensions are but you'll have to pay a fee in excess of $500 for that service.

Always cover your ass when adding improvents or other structures to your property. Especially when you're about to drop 3 grand on a six foot high privacy fence.
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    I fucking hate neighbours. I really don't see the point in neighbours. Whoever decided that people should live on top of each other had something wrong with his brain.
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    I fucking hate neighbours. I really don't see the point in neighbours. Whoever decided that people should live on top of each other had something wrong with his brain.
    agreed.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    neenerbeanneenerbean Posts: 205
    RE: property lines, you'll probably have to file for a permit with the city. I imagine this includes going over the property lines and having it staked. Then I think you go a little in on your side cause technically it can't be RIGHT ON the line. If that makes any sense? LOL
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    To be clear, I don't live with "hicks". I live on a cove with 4 houses. One neighbor is a president of a bank. One is an attorney. The other was a retired millionaire. I appraise real estate so I'm quite familiar with lot sizes and shapes as well as the survey process to define the bounds of your lot tract. Legal descriptions are available to you at your courthouse and are very long descriptive black and white layouts of the land you call your own.

In this area, we have maps and parcel numbers. The northeast might have metes and bounds. I'm not sure. Regardless, there is public information available to you that clearly define your lot. A surveyor could do a better job telling you exactly what those dimensions are but you'll have to pay a fee in excess of $500 for that service.

Always cover your ass when adding improvents or other structures to your property. Especially when you're about to drop 3 grand on a six foot high privacy fence.

ahhhhhh humor....lost. ;)

we have maps/parcel #s as well, and yes.....having your property surveyed AND staked is the best bet, as well as checking with your local town/village to make sure you apply for proper permits, if necessary. my only real point above was - NO way would i give a 3 foot perimeter of MY property to my neighbors. there is no need to give up the precious little space we in the metro-NY area have. that was all. :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    HammerdonkeyHammerdonkey Posts: 550
    edited April 2010
    D2D...it wasn't necessarily aimed at you. I think deep down, I'd just like to make sure that when people think of me, they don't see a guy with 4 teeth fucking his sister and smoking a Marlboro Red and moonshine pours off her ass cheeks.

But you're right, land is a premium in NYC. Here in West TN, if I have to give up a little here and there, it's not as crucial to me. Then again, my yard is over 1.5 acres and I have 150 goddamn motherfucking trees that I hate with my hellbound soul.

Other than that, I like the area :)
    Post edited by Hammerdonkey on