are YOU a sports fan fraud?

Comments

• FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Flagg wrote:
    Man, I missed out on all of this? God damnit. I feel like this convo's gone too far for me to even get involved now. :(

And, yes, the Cowboy did not sell out their building when they blew ass. That's a fact.

Fuck that fuckin star.

This is true. During the 80s I had to travel to my grandparent's house 75 miles outside of Dallas to watch the games. I hate the blackout rule.

I admire your loyalty. But fuck Dallas.

Phuck Philly!

God this game needs to be played.

I think next year, we should just have an NFC East thread. Or a Cowboys/Philly thread since we spend so much time jumping in each other's threads anyway.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    edited January 2010

Yeah, I don't have the interest to read 700 pages on basketball, but that's just me. And I'm sorry, love the Sports Guy, but because of him there's a TON of copycat sites just ripping off his humor. And he writes WAY too much about New England sports in his NATIONAL ESPN columns. I don't need a 5,000 word column written about your theory on how Manny left Boston followed up by some lame article about the Pats. Love Simmons mostly for his Vegas articles - they're timeless.

And one more thing, because I'm an asshole, I'll never understand this feeling of lovable losers with Boston with the Sox up till 2004. I'll admit, I liked them up until then because they always went against the Yankees and I'll always despise the Yankees more. But for anyone in that city to feel like, "FINALLY we did it." Fuck that. Before then, you saw the Pat win 2 Super Bowls and the Celts win a shit load. The Sox are religion apparently up there, I get it. But don't gimme this shit that you've been living in torture for years because of it. I went 26 years on this Earth without seeing ANY of my teams win it. That's when you start to truly feel, "is it ever going to happen?" Other than being from Cleveland, who's got it wayyyy worse, no one could ever sympathize with our situation.

Boston's kitchey, apparently their accent has a charm, and all chicks want to go to school there. It's 'Good Will Hunting' in their heads(girls) at all times. Cliffy, THAT is why people became bandwagons of this team. And then when they won, I found out they were more condescending and obnoxious than any Yankee fan I ever came across. It's all bullshit tied together to seem like some kind of dream. This is where my distain for the Boston fan, for me, has come from. Whenever a Philly fan boasted for the last year like a pompous fucking ass, I supported it. Ya know why? We deserved to. We had NOTHING - absolutely nothing.

Oh, and Cliffy, those bandwagon fans in this area were the ones that couldn't stick it out. They still come to games when the Sawx are in town too. They come all the way down from .....Bucks County, and Gloucestah.....New Jersey. And it's all because of the reasons I described above. And I can't wait to go up to Fenway this year and be a total dick. No violence of course.

Breath in...breath out....ahhhh, much better.

Yeah, I have read and heard some good things about the book and I will probably read it eventually but I hear you. I also hear it is pretty brutal how much he pushes his belief that Russell is better than Chamberlin. He does write about all things New England and I don't read most of them but I do like the guy.

Where to start on the rest of this. I hear you on all of it. You would have thought that Boston had never won a championship in any sport the way they acted after 2004 and yes, "Red Sox Nation" has exploded since then and is quite possibly the most annoying group of people in the world. Especially the chicks with their pink hats and shit. I do get that the Red Sox winning was bigger than anything they had experienced (the Giants winning the SuperBowl is not as big for me as the Yanks winning the World Series) but yeah, they won plenty so to act like Cleveland or Philly is absurd.

And I agree on the Philly stuff as well. People my age in this city had never seen their team win a championship and I was happy for a lot of people I got to know here. Might want to practice that whole celebration thing though, no need to destroy shit. I am sure you are correct on the bandwagon fans in this town, just saw a whole lot of it when I moved here.

Edit: Oh, and there is nothing chamring about that accent! TWAMMY BRADY!!!!
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    A good example: My father, disgusted with the way the Giants played this past year, now considers himself a Colts fan.

Sorry, it doesn't work like that.
    crazypjfan wrote:
    (Note: It's also OK to wager against your team, if they're hopelessly out of the playoff race. But only then. And only if you don't make it a habit.)

As a bettin' man, I cannot agree with this one even if it would be only 1 bet.

Wait, but my relatives from Tx are 2.5 hours away from the stadium. I must be fraudulent then :roll: ;)

Gettin' pumped for Sat. night Jeags!!

It is not okay to bet against your team. EVER!
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    And I agree on the Philly stuff as well. People my age in this city had never seen their team win a championship and I was happy for a lot of people I got to know here. Might want to practice that whole celebration thing though, no need to destroy shit. I am sure you are correct on the bandwagon fans in this town, just saw a whole lot of it when I moved here.

Ya see, that I don't get it either. In all relativity, compared to friends of mine from other parts of the country thought this city was going to burn down and someone was going to hump the Liberty Bell. So all things told, I don't think it was that bad. I was down there where all this shit happened, I really do think it gets blown out of proportion. And at the parade absolutely nothing happened. The parade is what I think Heaven would be like - if there actually was such a thing. The cops were the only assholes. After all the floats(what have you) went by - were you down there by any chance? - everyone just followed the cavalry down to the sports complex, and I was high fiving everyone on the side of the street, even the cops. This one cop doesn't have any of it and slaps the beer out of my hand. Gay.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Ya see, that I don't get it either. In all relativity, compared to friends of mine from other parts of the country thought this city was going to burn down and someone was going to hump the Liberty Bell. So all things told, I don't think it was that bad. I was down there where all this shit happened, I really do think it gets blown out of proportion. And at the parade absolutely nothing happened. The parade is what I think Heaven would be like - if there actually was such a thing. The cops were the only assholes. After all the floats(what have you) went by - were you down there by any chance? - everyone just followed the cavalry down to the sports complex, and I was high fiving everyone on the side of the street, even the cops. This one cop doesn't have any of it and slaps the beer out of my hand. Gay.

It may not have been THAT bad but it was pretty bad, there is no need to flip cars, light shit on fire or break into and trash a luggage store. I get that a select few were responsible for the problems but I just dont get that. It's a celebration, be happy, get drunk, high five every person you see, yell at the top of your lungs but dont ruin someone else's shit, especially a store.

I was not at the parade, I was actually the only person in the office that day. I heard it was a great time. It looked like a good time on tv, couldn't have asked for a better day weather wise. And a cop being a dick during the parade is uncalled for, the guy is getting paid overtime and the team just won a championship.
    Anyone remember this map Nike created? It is dead on.

resize-usa-baseball.jpg
    edited January 2010
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

It may not have been THAT bad but it was pretty bad, there is no need to flip cars, light shit on fire or break into and trash a luggage store. I get that a select few were responsible for the problems but I just dont get that. It's a celebration, be happy, get drunk, high five every person you see, yell at the top of your lungs but dont ruin someone else's shit, especially a store.

I was not at the parade, I was actually the only person in the office that day. I heard it was a great time. It looked like a good time on tv, couldn't have asked for a better day weather wise. And a cop being a dick during the parade is uncalled for, the guy is getting paid overtime and the team just won a championship.

Let's put it this way. There was a lot of........people, at the parade that didn't even know who the Phillies were. I saw them with my own eyes. These weren't Phillies fans. There was a couple cars flipped, a fire in a dumpster, Robinson's broke open. This all happened in a 4 city block radius. I can't impugn an entire city for that. But, hey, what can ya do? Seeing riot police coming right at me was bizarre.

Then there was this gem too, which is awesome and just shows that all the douchery gets exposed and not the good stuff - ie the parade.

http://phillyfixmycar.blogspot.com/

Oh, and the lighting of fireworks right in the middle of Broad & Locust was awesome.
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on

Let's put it this way. There was a lot of........people, at the parade that didn't even know who the Phillies were. I saw them with my own eyes. These weren't Phillies fans. There was a couple cars flipped, a fire in a dumpster, Robinson's broke open. This all happened in a 4 city block radius. I can't impugn an entire city for that. But, hey, what can ya do? Seeing riot police coming right at me was bizarre.

Then there was this gem too, which is awesome and just shows that all the douchery gets exposed and not the good stuff - ie the parade.

Like I said, I know it was a select few that were responsible but that shit shouldn't happen period. I walked down towards the parade at lunch and there were so many kids that were not Phillies fans, college kids from everywhere.

That is very cool.
    edited January 2010
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Like I said, I know it was a select few that were responsible but that shit shouldn't happen period. I walked down towards the parade at lunch and there were so many kids that were not Phillies fans, college kids from everywhere.

That is very cool.

Well, all I can say is - and I think you know from living here for enough time - no one in this area could give two shit's what those outside of the area think of those living here. I'm just sayin' because no one ever brings it up when they talk about when they won, only those not from here do. So, as it stands now, that's the last memory I think of. What digusts me more was when I was walking down Broad after getting back from the game to meet up with my friends and some drunk dude is yelling like a complete drunk psycho at a security guard wearing a Cowboys knit hat. That really let me down. I was like, "Yo, dude, the Phillies JUST WON THE FUCKING WORLD SERIES. Fuck this guy, no need to do that shit right now. Live it up!" I think it sorta got through to him because he left the guy alone, and the guard had a look of ease on him that said "Thank you."

Oh, and you said we might want to work on that celebration thing? Ya know how they say, "act like ya been there before"? Well, guess what, we never have been. So act like ya never have been. I have no regrets on how anything went down around here.

EDIT: EDIT: The drunk retards around here are like the black sheep alcoholic uncles of our family. WE can make fun of them, but we'll stick up for them against those not from here any day. Sorry, but that's just how it works around here. The word rationality doesn't go over well here. And I include myself in that.
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on

Well, all I can say is - and I think you know from living here for enough time - no one in this area could give two shit's what those outside of the area think of those living here. I'm just sayin' because no one ever brings it up when they talk about when they won, only those not from here do. So, as it stands now, that's the last memory I think of. What digusts me more was when I was walking down Broad after getting back from the game to meet up with my friends and some drunk dude is yelling like a complete drunk psycho at a security guard wearing a Cowboys knit hat. That really let me down. I was like, "Yo, dude, the Phillies JUST WON THE FUCKING WORLD SERIES. Fuck this guy, no need to do that shit right now. Live it up!" I think it sorta got through to him because he left the guy alone, and the guard had a look of ease on him that said "Thank you."

I hear you on that.

Yeah, that is pretty fucking bad. Some people don't get it.
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,872
    boston has some great fans

but there are also tons of frauds on the bandwagon

exhibit A is that there are still tix left for Sunday
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,872
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

resize-usa-baseball.jpg

not really... i would say connecticut is mostly assholes... i mean... yankees fans

and florida is definitely not marlins territory

and nationals fans?? really
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    lets be honest, what happened the night the phillies won the world series pales in comparison to some of the looting that has happened in los angelos, detroit and many other college campuses all over the country. that stuff was blown enirely out of proportion. for a city that waited 25 years and 100 or whatever seasons combined....it was much more civil than the rest of the country anticipated. for that i'm quite proud actually.

anywho....fraud sports fans....how bout 'em?!

do you think it was fradulent of me to root for the vikings in '98 soley because my childhood hero was their qb and having a season for the ages only to see it all go up in flames when gary anderson decided to miss his only field goal of the season at the absolute worst time possible???? i was really just rooting for him to get to a super bowl to hopefully get into the hof. and if they were to play the birds, of course i would have rooted for philly with all my heart.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    lets be honest, what happened the night the phillies won the world series pales in comparison to some of the looting that has happened in los angelos, detroit and many other college campuses all over the country. that stuff was blown enirely out of proportion. for a city that waited 25 years and 100 or whatever seasons combined....it was much more civil than the rest of the country anticipated. for that i'm quite proud actually.

do you think it was fradulent of me to root for the vikings in '98 soley because my childhood hero was their qb and having a season for the ages only to see it all go up in flames when gary anderson decided to miss his only field goal of the season at the absolute worst time possible???? i was really just rooting for him to get to a super bowl to hopefully get into the hof. and if they were to play the birds, of course i would have rooted for philly with all my heart.

If your team is out of it, you can root for whoever best lies in your interest except for known rivals.

I always had a fond spot in my heart for the Sonics and Indians growing up. I never turned my back on my teams of course, but it's good to have some kind of rooting interest when your teams out of it. Well, sometimes.

If your team is out of it, you can root for whoever best lies in your interest except for known rivals.

Agreed, I usually lose a bit of interest once my team is out though. Like this year I just don't want the Eagles, Cowboys or Brett Favre to win a SuperBowl
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Agreed, I usually lose a bit of interest once my team is out though. Like this year I just don't want the Eagles, Cowboys or Brett Favre to win a SuperBowl

Yep, if the Cowboys go out, then I am rooting for ABP - Anybody But Philly
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
    Speaking of which, Simmons' new article is up just in time. Good bye, Next Fifteen Minutes.
    not really... i would say connecticut is mostly assholes... i mean... yankees fansy
    First of all, fuck you, and second of all, the Yankees/Red Sox split in Connecticut is pretty even. I remember when there was a poll amongst Connecticut residents over which they preferred, and the Yankees won by a slim margin of 51% to 49%.

I always had a fond spot in my heart for the Sonics and Indians growing up. I never turned my back on my teams of course, but it's good to have some kind of rooting interest when your teams out of it. Well, sometimes.

i always had a fond spot in my heart for teams like tampa bay growing up. bad, awful, horrific teams with weirdo uniforms and stadiums that looked like urban sunbreros. now, i kinda like the lions. i was watching a replay of that browns game from a couple months ago. mathew stafford really impressed me. i feel bad for their fans. my car is worth more than a lot of their homes. they need their team to be better.
    chinese-happy.jpg

i always had a fond spot in my heart for teams like tampa bay growing up. bad, awful, horrific teams with weirdo uniforms and stadiums that looked like urban sunbreros. now, i kinda like the lions. i was watching a replay of that browns game from a couple months ago. mathew stafford really impressed me. i feel bad for their fans. my car is worth more than a lot of their homes. they need their team to be better.

Dude, back in the day me and a buddy of mine in high school would be like, "Dude, this year....The Bucs...all the way." And when they got new uniforms we thought it was an outright conclusion.
    edited January 2010

Dude, back in the day me and a buddy of mine in high school would be like, "Dude, this year....The Bucs...all the way." And when they got new uniforms we thought it was an outright conclusion.

i was always the bucs in madden (when i wasn't the eagles). in the game the fans would always have a sign up that read "BUC THE TREND!" that is quality stuff right there...as soon as they got a spiffy new stadium, new unis, and started winning: i was out though. f them
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Speaking of which, Simmons' new article is up just in time. Good bye, Next Fifteen Minutes.

This morning has pretty much been a waste for me, not all that productive.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

i'm not doing shit.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

i'm not doing shit.

Me either, fuck it though, its friday, i am a little hungover and I dont have any deadlines today.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

i'm not doing shit.
    I usually never do anything in the mornings. If anything needs to be done, I tend to go after lunch.

Of course, I'm a student on break right now.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

i'm not doing shit.

Ahhh, at least I'm not alone.....

Speaking of which, I think football - NFL football - should be switched to Saturdays. That way there's a shit show to follow every day of watching football. Lump it altogether. That way Sundays could be used for ailing hangovers instead of prolonging them, and getting other shit I need to get done, done.

Speaking of which, I think football - NFL football - should be switched to Saturdays. That way there's a shit show to follow every day of watching football. Lump it altogether. That way Sundays could be used for ailing hangovers instead of prolonging them, and getting other shit I need to get done, done.

Not a bad idea but I am too big of a college football fan for them to conflict.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Not a bad idea but I am too big of a college football fan for them to conflict.

Meh, just put that shit on Sundays then.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

resize-usa-baseball.jpg
    that map is NOT dead on. Florida is a mix of yankee and met fans. Go look at the marlins attendance when the mets come to town. It spikes up a lot. Same as when the yanks plays the rays.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?