are YOU a sports fan fraud?

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    metsfan wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    It doesn't matter where the jets and giants play in jersey, its still. New jersey. Am I supposed to root for the devils and nets cause they are also "local" teams or am I supposed to root for the knicks and islanders cause they actually play in the state of new york.

I dont get what you are getting at. If someone lives in the New York area and follows the Nets or Devils, I have no problem with that.
    why should I root for teams that don't even play in my state. The jets, giants, devils and nets all play in NEW JERSEY. Why should I as someone in NEW YORK root for teams that play in NEW JERSEY. It doesn't matter if they are 10 minutes from nyc or down in Atlantic city, its STILL NEW JERSEY.

Because they are the local teams!!!! If you turn on a radio or the tv, or walk into a bar, what teams are on and who is everyone cheering for? Listen, I am not the one accusing you of being a fraud, all I am saying is that the New York Giants and Jets are the NFL teams that REPRESENT New York. The fact they don't play in NY due to money and space is irrelevant.

"why should I root for teams that don't even play in my state."

Then why do you like Dallas? Why do you cheer for an NFL team at all if your city does not have one?
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,214
    One thing i know is metsfan i mean islandersfan i mean brian is a fraud :shock:

just look up #18 :mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    loadedgun wrote:

I don't have to be a fan of a team just because I live in the same state or city that they play in. I'd rather think for myself which team I want to follow, not just the closest.
    +1

When was the last time the jersey jets or jersey giants played a game in new york. Can anyone answer that. Does anyone wanna steup and answer me that question.

Dumb argument, Patroits don't play in Boston but all Boston sports fans should be Pats fans. Giants and Jets are the NYC teams.

he's just trying to justify rooting for the cowboys. :roll:

with his dumb logic, i should have no loyalty to the eagles because they dont play in collegeville, pa (where the jeagler resides). :lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
    g under p wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

Dumb argument, Patroits don't play in Boston but all Boston sports fans should be Pats fans. Giants and Jets are the NYC teams.

However, the Patriots are in the same state.

I haven't lived in Boston since I was a youth (70's) and I still am a Boston fan. Since then I've lived in Brooklyn NYC, Florida and DC etc and STILL and will always be a Beantown fan. That's just the way it is and I've have NEVER wavered from that as most of you on here may already know.

No fraud here through think and thin.
    Peace

yup. your story checks out...not a fraud. :clap:
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    g under p wrote:

However, the Patriots are in the same state.

I haven't lived in Boston since I was a youth (70's) and I still am a Boston fan. Since then I've lived in Brooklyn NYC, Florida and DC etc and STILL and will always be a Beantown fan. That's just the way it is and I've have NEVER wavered from that as most of you on here may already know.

No fraud here through think and thin.
    Peace

And I have not lived in NY in 4 years and am not sure when I will again but I will always be a New York sports fan. If I were to change I would consider myself a fraud.

this is a man who get's it. :clap:
    chinese-happy.jpg
    metsfan wrote:
    It doesn't matter where the jets and giants play in jersey, its still. New jersey. Am I supposed to root for the devils and nets cause they are also "local" teams or am I supposed to root for the knicks and islanders cause they actually play in the state of new york.

am i the only one who thinks if the jets or giants played in the viciinity of new york city, this guy would still be a cowboys fan?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    jimed14 wrote:
    g under p wrote:

It's funny last year a friend gave me a Washington Nationals hat when we attended a Nats/Red Sox game in DC. Proudly packed with Sox fans I might add. Man, I like the Nationals and all BUT I could NOT get myself to put on that Nationals hat to save my life (nice hat too) and I still have put it on. I just felt I would be betraying some unknown blue line or something of sportsdom. ;)

Peace

Don't get me wrong, I pull for the SF Giants and 49ers and Sharks as they are in different leagues/conferences as the Sox/Pats/B's (no hats or gear though!). Where as the Raiders, and A's are in the same leagues/conferences so they can go f--- themselves.

But, if it came to a playoff ... screw these San Fran teams! :D

i can respect this jimed.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    regarding the post about the ravens fan betting on the patriots though...

what are your thoughts about betting against your team? i say it is 100%, stone cold lock fraudulent. even if your team is a LOCK not to cover. i would never do it. and i berate my friends who would dare think about such benedict arnold move.

one of my buddy's in college would bet against the birds. this is when they were awful. he would do it on the sneak though. he'd have his girlfriend call the bookie for him. he corrupted that poor lassie. technically this was his way of not being a fraud. but we would all call him out for it.

this year people were saying the birds were a lock not to cover against the chargers. i knew it too. but in a case like this, i say you just lay off. you can never go against your team.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Because they are the local teams!!!! If you turn on a radio or the tv, or walk into a bar, what teams are on and who is everyone cheering for? Listen, I am not the one accusing you of being a fraud, all I am saying is that the New York Giants and Jets are the NFL teams that REPRESENT New York. The fact they don't play in NY due to money and space is irrelevant.

Then why do you like Dallas? Why do you cheer for an NFL team at all if your city does not have one?
    they represent new york cause most of the fanbase is from new york cause at one time both teams played in new york. I highly doubt any new yorker would root for the jets or giants if all the history they had was in new jersey. They don't play in ny cause they didn't want to be 2nd class citzens at shea and yankee stadium and cause the people that hold office where the west side yard is are dickheads. The west side yard has tons of space to hold a stadium. It was only a few years ago the jets wanted to move to the west side yard.

Cause I'm a fan of football and I gotta root for someone. Would it be that big of a deal if growing up I was a fan of the cards or vikings or is it the fact that I'm a cowboys fan that bothers all of you philly people. You philly people are the only ones on who have a problem with this. How much of a bunch of pathetic people are you.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122

what are your thoughts about betting against your team? i say it is 100%, stone cold lock fraudulent. even if your team is a LOCK not to cover. i would never do it. and i berate my friends who would dare think about such benedict arnold move.

one of my buddy's in college would bet against the birds. this is when they were awful. he would do it on the sneak though. he'd have his girlfriend call the bookie for him. he corrupted that poor lassie. technically this was his way of not being a fraud. but we would all call him out for it.

this year people were saying the birds were a lock not to cover against the chargers. i knew it too. but in a case like this, i say you just lay off. you can never go against your team.

Just find some other game to bet on and leave your team out of it.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488

If I'm in a pick em type pool, I'll pick against the pats ... but, no, never flat out bet against them.

I don't even like to bet for them as if you lose, it's a double whammy.

I'm invested enough in the game at face value.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez

with his dumb logic, i should have no loyalty to the eagles because they dont play in collegeville, pa (where the jeagler resides). :lol:
    east rutherford NEW JERSEY is nowhere near holbrook new york

Can you not comprehend that

edited January 2010
    metsfan wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

they represent new york cause most of the fanbase is from new york cause at one time both teams played in new york. I highly doubt any new yorker would root for the jets or giants if all the history they had was in new jersey. They don't play in ny cause they didn't want to be 2nd class citzens at shea and yankee stadium and cause the people that hold office where the west side yard is are dickheads. The west side yard has tons of space to hold a stadium. It was only a few years ago the jets wanted to move to the west side yard.

Cause I'm a fan of football and I gotta root for someone. Would it be that big of a deal if growing up I was a fan of the cards or vikings or is it the fact that I'm a cowboys fan that bothers all of you philly people. You philly people are the only ones on who have a problem with this. How much of a bunch of pathetic people are you.

:| if i may intercede?...

you are replying to a native new yorker there.

okay, sorry--please continue making a fool of yourself now.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
    jimed14 wrote:

If I'm in a pick em type pool, I'll pick against the pats ... but, no, never flat out bet against them.

I don't even like to bet for them as if you lose, it's a double whammy.

I'm invested enough in the game at face value.

if you're in a pool and you have to pick every game, that is a different story. agreed.

however i was in a spread pool this year where you only pick 4 teams a week. so of course i only put the birds game down if i was picking them. not the other way around.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    metsfan wrote:

east rutherford NEW JERSEY is nowhere near holbrook new york

Can you not comprehend that

true. without traffic east rutherford is a little over an hour away from holbrook. good point.

however, the george washington bridge (within city limits) is only about 10 minutes closer.....so, your point still a poor one at best.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    college coaches who only at one school for one year only to bolt to what appears to be a bigger and better opportunity = FRAUDULENT. i am looking in YOUR direction lane kiffen :x :x :x :x :x
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    college coaches who only at one school for one year only to bolt to what appears to be a bigger and better opportunity = FRAUDULENT. i am looking in YOUR direction lane kiffen :x :x :x :x :x

Who are you to say, anyway.... ;)
    crazypjfan wrote:

i am... the jeagler.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    crazypjfan wrote:

i am... the jeagler.

The Who?
    edited January 2010
    metsfan wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Thanks for the history of NY football, most appreciated. Oh and "you philly people", good try but I am from NY, born in NYC, then moved upstate when my family moved. Nice try though.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    metsfan wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

:| if i may intercede?...

you are replying to a native new yorker there.

okay, sorry--please continue making a fool of yourself now.

haha, Thanks for the assistance. It's like dealing with a brick wall.
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,873
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

i'd ask that you please don't insult the bricks

please
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

please

hahahahahhahahahha, apologies!
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

please

:lol::lol:
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    According to this it looks like I'm ok with everything but college football/basketball. I had no hometown team within 4 hrs, and my family liked the Redskins, Rams, and Cowboys. I chose the least successful (at the time) team in the Cowboys. The Brewers were my first world series, and I have always been and still am a fan of both of these teams. For College Syracuse University was very close to me (1 hr away), but Derrick Coleman was a no-show at my 4th grade basketball camp so I chose teams that could beat the crap out of SU so I went with the U in football (even though the Flutie game already brought me in), and UConn in basketball. I was bandwagon to choose them, but have stuck with them. So I am a partial fraud, but not really too bad. I kind of think it's funny that there exists "rules" on how and who to root for though. It's kinda like the "not wearing the bands tshirt to their concert" rule. A good mookie blaylock jersey or choices tshirt is always fun to see and I don't think of those fans as frauds...
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    RW81233 wrote:
    According to this it looks like I'm ok with everything but college football/basketball. I had no hometown team within 4 hrs, and my family liked the Redskins, Rams, and Cowboys. I chose the least successful (at the time) team in the Cowboys. The Brewers were my first world series, and I have always been and still am a fan of both of these teams. For College Syracuse University was very close to me (1 hr away), but Derrick Coleman was a no-show at my 4th grade basketball camp so I chose teams that could beat the crap out of SU so I went with the U in football (even though the Flutie game already brought me in), and UConn in basketball. I was bandwagon to choose them, but have stuck with them. So I am a partial fraud, but not really too bad. I kind of think it's funny that there exists "rules" on how and who to root for though. It's kinda like the "not wearing the bands tshirt to their concert" rule. A good mookie blaylock jersey or choices tshirt is always fun to see and I don't think of those fans as frauds...

Wait, you grew up an hour from Syracuse and the Cowboys are your team?

Not sure which direction from Syracuse that hour is ... but, wouldn't one of the 3 NY State teams be the team you should be closely affiliated with?

I smell a youngster jumping on the Aikman/Emmet/Irvin train here. ;) Heck, you even admit to liking the U ... You have a Michael Irvin fathead in your house, don't you? :)

(Note - I hope you saw the ESPN 30 on 30 special about "The U", it was great).
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    jimed14 wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:

Wait, you grew up an hour from Syracuse and the Cowboys are your team?

Not sure which direction from Syracuse that hour is ... but, wouldn't one of the 3 NY State teams be the team you should be closely affiliated with?

I smell a youngster jumping on the Aikman/Emmet/Irvin train here. ;) Heck, you even admit to liking the U ... You have a Michael Irvin fathead in your house, don't you? :)

(Note - I hope you saw the ESPN 30 on 30 special about "The U", it was great).

maybe 2nd generation fraud on this one?...hmm....i dunno. buffalo's gotta be the local team even though its an hour or two away right? this is a tough one....

why did your family pick those teams?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Thanks for the history of NY football, most appreciated. Oh and "you philly people", good try but I am from NY, born in NYC, then moved upstate when my family moved. Nice try though.
    where does your location say fool. It says PHILLY NOT UPSTATE new york. I didn't know upstate new york had a town called philly. Does it have less crime rates than philly, PA. If you were a true new yawker you wouldn't be living in a shithole of a city.

Cliffy6745 wrote:

please
    who the hell are you. Is RM or BRY that boring. Go away troll.

metsfan wrote:
    where does your location say fool. It says PHILLY NOT UPSTATE new york. I didn't know upstate new york had a town called philly. Does it have less crime rates than philly, PA. If you were a true new yawker you wouldn't be living in a shithole of a city.

1. My location states that I am from New York but live in Philly. I know you have terrible grammar but "New Yorker in Philly" shouldn't be too hard to comprehend.

2. You are a fraud, a real "New Yawker" wouldn't be a fan of the Cowboys.

3. Long Island is the biggest bunch of jerkoffs I have ever come across. If NYS could get rid of Long Island it would make the state a better place. Before you make fun of where I live, take a look at where you live. I will take Philly over Long Island any day of the week.

4. I moved to Philly for a little thing called a job (a pretty good one at that) and have stayed here for a female friend I met. From what I read about you, it seems like you wouldn't know much about either.

5. The Mets fucking suck!