Options

are YOU a sports fan fraud?

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    metsfan wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Anyone remember this map Nike created? It is dead on.

resize-usa-baseball.jpg
    that map is NOT dead on. Florida is a mix of yankee and met fans. Go look at the marlins attendance when the mets come to town. It spikes up a lot. Same as when the yanks plays the rays.

Fair enough on Florida, but i was more looking at major market teams and fruads. Tampa and the Marlins don't matter. Attendace spikes everywhere when the Yankees are in town but yeah, there are a whole lot of yanks fans in Tampa, especially with Spring Training, the offices and the Steinbrenners there.
  • Options
    tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

resize-usa-baseball.jpg
    that map is NOT dead on. Florida is a mix of yankee and met fans. Go look at the marlins attendance when the mets come to town. It spikes up a lot. Same as when the yanks plays the rays.

Fair enough on Florida, but i was more looking at major market teams and fruads. Tampa and the Marlins don't matter. Attendace spikes everywhere when the Yankees are in town but yeah, there are a whole lot of yanks fans in Tampa, especially with Spring Training, the offices and the Steinbrenners there.
    A lot of people jumped on the Rays' bandwagon after they got to the World Series, though.
  • Options
    tcaporale wrote:

A lot of people jumped on the Rays' bandwagon after they got to the World Series, though.

And they jumped right back off it last year...haha.
  • Options
    PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,873
    lets be honest, what happened the night the phillies won the world series pales in comparison to some of the looting that has happened in los angelos, detroit and many other college campuses all over the country. that stuff was blown enirely out of proportion. for a city that waited 25 years and 100 or whatever seasons combined....it was much more civil than the rest of the country anticipated. for that i'm quite proud actually.

anywho....fraud sports fans....how bout 'em?!

do you think it was fradulent of me to root for the vikings in '98 soley because my childhood hero was their qb and having a season for the ages only to see it all go up in flames when gary anderson decided to miss his only field goal of the season at the absolute worst time possible???? i was really just rooting for him to get to a super bowl to hopefully get into the hof. and if they were to play the birds, of course i would have rooted for philly with all my heart.

there are always exceptions

i rooted for the ray bourque w the colorado avalanche ... shit they honored him in Boston... he brought the Stanley Cup here

kind of weird but whatever... happy for him
  • Options
    metsfan wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

resize-usa-baseball.jpg

Florida is a mix of everything... watch a Red Sox game at Tampa Bay... i'm sure it's just as bad as the Yanks

Sox fans also seem to overtake Camden Yards
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    And one more thing, because I'm an asshole, I'll never understand this feeling of lovable losers with Boston with the Sox up till 2004. I'll admit, I liked them up until then because they always went against the Yankees and I'll always despise the Yankees more. But for anyone in that city to feel like, "FINALLY we did it." Fuck that. Before then, you saw the Pat win 2 Super Bowls and the Celts win a shit load. The Sox are religion apparently up there, I get it. But don't gimme this shit that you've been living in torture for years because of it. I went 26 years on this Earth without seeing ANY of my teams win it. That's when you start to truly feel, "is it ever going to happen?" Other than being from Cleveland, who's got it wayyyy worse, no one could ever sympathize with our situation.

Well .. yes, the Pats did win in 2001, but before that ... it was the Celtics in 1986, then, Len Bias dies and the city went into a 15 year championship slump, 15 years is a pretty long time when you think of it in a generational way. So, Boston fans did have that long period of nothing.

And HOW the Red Sox lost all those years plays a huge role into it. Also, seeing the Yankees win many many times in our lifetime, and 2003's huge heartbreak. The greatest comeback in baseball history against our biggest rival ... that's why there was such a release in 2004.

Finally, the Sox are king. They just are. If the Pats fell as quickly as the Rams did (from Superbowl to #1 pick in the draft in 10 years) ... They'd probably fall behind the Celtics for popularity. (Note, not in my book.)

I'm just pissed the Bruins are still owned by a cheap fucking miser.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options

there are always exceptions

i rooted for the ray bourque w the colorado avalanche ... shit they honored him in Boston... he brought the Stanley Cup here

kind of weird but whatever... happy for him

One of the most embarassing moments as a Boston fan.

Cheer for Ray after the Bruins were out of it, hell yeah. Go to Govt Center and look at the Stanley Cup of the Avs ... fuck no. Pathetic.

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    The Pittsuburg Pirates are dead to me.

I have renouced my fandom and moved on. Imo, as long as the team is trying to win, that's all you can ask for. Losing for 17 years straight is not acceptable. Time to move on.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,787
    jimed14 wrote:
    And one more thing, because I'm an asshole, I'll never understand this feeling of lovable losers with Boston with the Sox up till 2004. I'll admit, I liked them up until then because they always went against the Yankees and I'll always despise the Yankees more. But for anyone in that city to feel like, "FINALLY we did it." Fuck that. Before then, you saw the Pat win 2 Super Bowls and the Celts win a shit load. The Sox are religion apparently up there, I get it. But don't gimme this shit that you've been living in torture for years because of it. I went 26 years on this Earth without seeing ANY of my teams win it. That's when you start to truly feel, "is it ever going to happen?" Other than being from Cleveland, who's got it wayyyy worse, no one could ever sympathize with our situation.

Well .. yes, the Pats did win in 2001, but before that
    ... it was the Celtics in 1986, then, Len Bias dies and the city went into a 15 year championship slump, 15 years is a pretty long time when you think of it in a generational way. So, Boston fans did have that long period of nothing.

And HOW the Red Sox lost all those years plays a huge role into it. Also, seeing the Yankees win many many times in our lifetime, and 2003's huge heartbreak. The greatest comeback in baseball history against our biggest rival ... that's why there was such a release in 2004.

Finally, the Sox are king. They just are. If the Pats fell as quickly as the Rams did (from Superbowl to #1 pick in the draft in 10 years) ... They'd probably fall behind the Celtics for popularity. (Note, not in my book.)

I'm just pissed the Bruins are still owned by a cheap fucking miser.

Whoa, whoa, whoa....The Pats won TWICE before the Sox won. And for that reason alone I can't give up too much sympathy. TWO Super Bowls? Seriously? By the time the Sox won, I was seething at your city. In fact it went - February, 2004 - Pats win second title, party in the streets again(against us no less). November, 2004 - Sox win. You would've thought the heaviest of gorillas were taken off the back of everyone in that city. Another party in the streets. I'm sorry, but go fuck your fish eatin' friends down by the fuckin' river. I say this with the ought most respect. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    mr.pinkmr.pink Posts: 362
    Man, I missed out on all of this? God damnit. I feel like this convo's gone too far for me to even get involved now. :(

And, yes, the Cowboy did not sell out their building when they blew ass. That's a fact.

Fuck that fuckin star.

Oh yeah, in the late 80s. Fans probably were very low key during those shit times. I meant during the post-Aikman era, when we had 3 semi-shit years, there was no loss in fandom or sellouts. From 87 to 90, fans were just probably very distraught. Let's see we had that low period and the semi low period after Aikman left and a rough 4 years starting out in the 60s... and the rest has pretty much rocked... Damn its good to be a Cowboys fan!
    Twenty-ten watch it go to fire!!!
  • Options
    mr.pink wrote:
    Man, I missed out on all of this? God damnit. I feel like this convo's gone too far for me to even get involved now. :(

And, yes, the Cowboy did not sell out their building when they blew ass. That's a fact.

Fuck that fuckin star.

Oh yeah, in the late 80s. Fans probably were very low key during those shit times. I meant during the post-Aikman era, when we had 3 semi-shit years, there was no loss in fandom or sellouts. From 87 to 90, fans were just probably very distraught. Let's see we had that low period and the semi low period after Aikman left and a rough 4 years starting out in the 60s... and the rest has pretty much rocked... Damn its good to be a Cowboys fan!

Nope. I was there. Not sold out. The dude I went through easily scooped up 300 tickets through your boys' ticket office. Not blacked out, but not sold out. Now depress your chest from puffing out any further.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

resize-usa-baseball.jpg

Living in Oregon, its definitely wrong there. The Mariners have way more fans than the Giants here. In Eugene, we're pretty close to the middle of both those cities, but there seems to be much more of connection with Seattle.
  • Options
    mr.pink wrote:

Fuck that fuckin star.

Nope. I was there. Not sold out. The dude I went through easily scooped up 300 tickets through your boys' ticket office. Not blacked out, but not sold out. Now depress your chest from puffing out any further.

You're saying like 00 to 03??? somewhere in there
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    what does that list of stuff have to do with phil jackson's testicles?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    mr.pink wrote:
    mr.pink wrote:

You're saying like 00 to 03??? somewhere in there

Nope. '04, brotha. Check it out. And there's was a shit load more of us that didn't go through this dude either. And the trip two or three years ago was even bigger. We travel strong. And ya know what makes our traveling pack fackin awesome? Our fans at visiting stadiums aren't from Iowa or Ohio like bandwagon Cowboys or Stillers fans. There's no such thing as a bandwagon Philly fan. All legit. No one wants to jump on our bandwagon because there's nothing charming about us, and I like it that way.

http://www.greenlegion.com/photos/2004/ ... /index.htm
  • Options

Nope. '04, brotha. Check it out. And there's was a shit load more of us that didn't go through this dude either. And the trip two or three years ago was even bigger. We travel strong. And ya know what makes our traveling pack fackin awesome? Our fans at visiting stadiums aren't from Iowa or Ohio like bandwagon Cowboys or Stillers fans. There's no such thing as a bandwagon Philly fan. All legit. No one wants to jump on our bandwagon because there's nothing charming about us, and I like it that way.

Ahhh, the green legion, my girlfriends sister goes on one of these trips each year, she was on that Dallas trip I believe. They invited me to go to San Diego with them this year. I would rather slam my dick in a car door than travel with 300 eagles fans to another teams stadium. hahah, only half serious. A guy I know that runs his mouth wayyyyy to much got jumped in San Diego this year.

In all fairness, the guy that runs the green legion has some serious connections because he gets a shit load of tickets to a lot of games all over the place.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Ahhh, the green legion, my girlfriends sister goes on one of these trips each year, she was on that Dallas trip I believe. They invited me to go to San Diego with them this year. I would rather slam my dick in a car door than travel with 300 eagles fans to another teams stadium. hahah, only half serious. A guy I know that runs his mouth wayyyyy to much got jumped in San Diego this year.

In all fairness, the guy that runs the green legion has some serious connections because he gets a shit load of tickets to a lot of games all over the place.

HA! Yeah, I know Quimby. He's aiight. He usually gets connections from the team. New Orleans he ended up just buying season ticket packages for future use. That's his livelihood - he makes a shit load throwing parties. The best trip was to New Orleans in '06. Fucking unbelievable. Probably one of the best trips I've ever been on, well except the loss. 5,000 Eagles fans marching down Bourbon St. to the Super Dome. Awesome.

EDIT: Yeah, there's an art to this. Walk in a pack and make as much noise as possible, but don't do it alone and don't be right up in people's faces. This dude I know in Nawlins got arrested, throwin in jail...and then preceded to get the absolute shit beat out of him. His head was the size of a melon afterwards.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

HA! Yeah, I know Quimby. He's aiight. He usually gets connections from the team. New Orleans he ended up just buying season ticket packages for future use. That's his livelihood - he makes a shit load throwing parties. The best trip was to New Orleans in '06. Fucking unbelievable. Probably one of the best trips I've ever been on, well except the loss. 5,000 Eagles fans marching down Bourbon St. to the Super Dome. Awesome.

yeah, I know some people that went on that Dallas trip from the pictures. That is pretty sick in New Orleans, sounds like a blast, minus the 5,000 eagles fans, haha.

yeah, i heard the parties he has at the games are a good time.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Jampearl0925:

No Blackout since the late 80s. Not a complete sellout, but probably was by game time... I'll take that. Can't seem to find any info on this.

Our fans are all over (you know, America's team) you're are concentrated in Filthydelphia - coined by an ex of mine that had season tickets to the Philly's. I agree there's alot about your team and its fans that are not attractive.... like no Superbowl championships.
    Post edited by mr.pink on
  • Options

Whoa, whoa, whoa....The Pats won TWICE before the Sox won. And for that reason alone I can't give up too much sympathy. TWO Super Bowls? Seriously? By the time the Sox won, I was seething at your city. In fact it went - February, 2004 - Pats win second title, party in the streets again(against us no less). November, 2004 - Sox win. You would've thought the heaviest of gorillas were taken off the back of everyone in that city. Another party in the streets. I'm sorry, but go fuck your fish eatin' friends down by the fuckin' river. I say this with the ought most respect. :mrgreen:

Again, you're not taking into account how the had been Sox losing, how long the Sox had been losing, and the fact that their main rival (who consistantly laguhed at Sox fans for even calling it a rivalry) was winning so many titles.

• Options
    mr.pink wrote:
    Jampearl0925:

No Blackout since the late 80s. Not a complete sellout, but probably was by game time... I'll take that. Can't seem to find any info on this.

Our fans are all over (you know, America's team) you're are concentrated in Filthydelphia - coined by an ex of mine that had season tickets to the Philly's. I agree there's alot about your team and its fans that are not attractive.... like no Superbowl championships.

It's Phillies, and your ex isn't the first to coin the term. Please - in the future, come up with something original.
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:

Again, you're not taking into account how the had been Sox losing, how long the Sox had been losing, and the fact that their main rival (who consistantly laguhed at Sox fans for even calling it a rivalry) was winning so many titles.

Understood. I just can't agree with it.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    yeah, I know some people that went on that Dallas trip from the pictures. That is pretty sick in New Orleans, sounds like a blast, minus the 5,000 eagles fans, haha.

What brought you here anyway? Did I ever ask you this? I'm sure I have. It was the girl right?
  • Options
    mr.pink wrote:
    Jampearl0925:

It's Phillies, and your ex isn't the first to coin the term. Please - in the future, come up with something original.

I drove through there, didn't stay the night. And I'd say, whoever came up with the term was right... about the town and the people. I still want to visit the museums and historical stuff, may be next year when the Cowboys play there.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

What brought you here anyway? Did I ever ask you this? I'm sure I have. It was the girl right?

I moved here to work in Marketing for the Sixers, did that for about a year and a half. Met the girl during that time and after I left the Sixers stuck around for her.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    mr.pink wrote:
    mr.pink wrote:
    Jampearl0925:

I drove through there, didn't stay the night. And I'd say, whoever came up with the term was right... about the town and the people. I still want to visit the museums and historical stuff, may be next year when the Cowboys play there.

You do that. You'll be bored, uninterested, and before the game starts you won't be able to get the hell outta here fast enough. Don't say I warned you. At least don't wear the jersey to the game. I'm tellin ya - don't do it. Not because I'm threatening you, but because - seriously - don't do it.
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I moved here to work in Marketing for the Sixers, did that for about a year and a half. Met the girl during that time and after I left the Sixers stuck around for her.

Sixers LOVE marketing. It's their only good thing they've got going.
  • Options

Sixers LOVE marketing. It's their only good thing they've got going.

That they do. It was a good job and a lot of fun, too bad they don't pay shit. I actually did some work for all of the teams (at the Wachovia Complex) but I was originally hired and mainly worked for the Sixers.
  • Options
    Flip... Flip... Flipadelphia!!
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298
    81 wrote:
    The Pittsuburg Pirates are dead to me.

I have renouced my fandom and moved on. Imo, as long as the team is trying to win, that's all you can ask for. Losing for 17 years straight is not acceptable. Time to move on.

they actually have some nice young talent on that roster now though
    chinese-happy.jpg