There's so much vinyl!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Pictures of the Neil Young box:
    img7618b.jpg
    img7619.jpg

Also I received this few weeks ago. I paid 120$ cdn on Amazon.ca for it. Brand new. Their price is way below the price from other stores!

img7621v.jpg
    img7622r.jpg

I picked up a copy last night. Thanks for the heads up!

Does it come with a mp3 download link? I saw that his site had something about download codes but wasn't sure if it applied for this collection.

Also got a copy of Neil Young's Live At Massey Hall on 200g and The Black Keys - The Big Come Up on colored vinyl.

This stuff is like crack!

Yes it is like crack :-) Are the Neil Young records remastred?
    Rock Werchter 4 july - 2010, Arras 3 july - 2010, Berlin Wuhlheide - June 30, 2010, Odyssey arena Belfast - 23 june 2010, O2 arena Dublin - june 22 2010, O2 arena London - Aug 18, 2009, Manchester Evening News Arena - Aug 17, 2009, Berlin Wuhlheide - Aug 15, 2009, Copenhagen 2007-06-26 Forum, London 2007-06-18 Wembley Arena, Prague 2006-09-22 Sazka Arena, Denmark 2000-06-30 Roskilde Festival, Stockholm on August 12th Mirrorball tour with Neil Young, Oslo 1993-06-27 Isle of Calf Festival(Kalvoya), Oslo Secret Club Concert 1993-06-26 Sentrum Scene
  • Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    They are from the original analog tapes. Here is part of an article from the the link below.

At the show, Reprise Records will unveil, for the first time, legendary singer-songwriter Neil Young’s first four catalog reissues, including the direct-to-fan 180-gram Limited Edition box set. Those titles, Neil Young, Everybody Knows This is Nowhere, After The Gold Rush, and Harvest, have been meticulously cut by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering from the original master tapes (under the direct supervision of Neil Young’s team) and manufactured at the world’s premiere record-pressing plant, Pallas MFG/Germany. This is the first-ever upgrade to these essential recordings on vinyl and is sure to delight both fans and audiophiles alike.

http://addictedtovinyl.com/blog/2009/10 ... cord-fair/
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    Nice pics! This is what it's all about!

I like the sepia kinda look you got going on there Ron! This thread will soon be receiving a stern letter from my bank manager I think. I'm holding you people personally responsible if I go into the red before Xmas.

Sounds like a lot of people here know what they are talking about. Good advice. The problem with going for better and better fidelity is knowing when you gotta stop I reckon (keep to a budget!). Another friend's father who lives round the corner has a system which is now getting into really really silly money. We listened to Joni Mitchell's 'Blue' round there a few years ago (vinyl and CD), and with the vinyl every time she breathed in you just had to breathe in too. It was somewhat like leaning out over a very steep cliff (!). We were right in the studio with her, in fact we were inside her throat and guitar! Problem is whenever I get home from his place every one of my records sounds crap.

Anyone that doubts vinyl is a superior format needs to listen to some on some high-end equipment and compare. I guarantee you, even with my own turntable, if I played you 'Sleeping Pills' by Suede I don't think you could fail to be converted to vinyl. It's an entirely different song from the one on the CD....

On the Neil Young front, I found a couple of records this week which completely fit with the idea of getting real bargains on second-hand original pressings. This 'Comes a Time (see below) cost me £3 ($5 currently,?). The cover is slightly marked, but the vinyl is completely untouched. I've played it a few times and the sound is brilliant. It's not an album I know that well (I know the songs from Live Rust), but this record sounds immense – a great way of hearing the stuff for the first time, and a real bargain.

This Harvest is the original gatefold with lyrics sheets. Cost me around £5 and again the sound is superb, and miles better than my previous (well looked-after) vinyl Harvest (a much later re-issue).

comes%20a%20time1x.jpg

harvest%20gatefold_0.jpg

My question about these current Neil Young reissues would be - are they digitally remastering and then turning them back into analogue for the new records? If so, in my mind this would defeat the object, since it is the analogue source of the 60s and 70s records which I believe sets them well apart (erm.... stands well back from the counterargument....!) [edit, think someone may have answered my question above] at least I'm more than happy doing things my way......!

I also picked up a few good singles this week (completely going against my better nature and purchasing the glowing vinyl again, thanks guys... :? )

L7%20(2).jpg

And how about this one for £1, kinda nice to see it in person rather than seeking it out online. Couldn't resist!

rs-angie.jpg
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • tremors wrote:
    My question about these current Neil Young reissues would be - are they digitally remastering and then turning them back into analogue for the new records? If so, in my mind this would defeat the object, since it is the analogue source of the 60s and 70s records which I believe sets them well apart (erm.... stands well back from the counterargument....!) [edit, think someone may have answered my question above] at least I'm more than happy doing things my way......!

as Jeff Murray mentioned, They are from the original analog tapes!

I have yet to open the box, but based on what they did with the blu-Ray archives, this stuff will be great!

Here is a review http://www.thrasherswheat.org/2009/11/m ... ginal.html
  • MK186319MK186319 Posts: 186
    There are a few thing that make the Rega little bit better:
    1) the RB-301.
    2)It also comes with a power supply which makes it more stable and improves sound significantly. It also allows swithing from 33 to 45 by pressing a button.
    3)Also, the plater is made out of glass which is a better than the steel platter on the Pro Ject Debut 3.

I know it is alot more expensive. This basically is why I am still waiting, to put more cash aside for this. At the same time it gives me more time to make sure I want to invest thatmuch money on it. I'm not saying no to a Pro Ject TT yet.
    I have the Pro-ject debut 3, but have up graded to the acrylic platter $100 and the pro-ject speed box $150 that will switch from 33 to 45, plus both of these will add a dramatic upgrade in sound, couldn't be happier!!!!! total $600
    Pictures of the Neil Young box:
    img7618b.jpg
    img7619.jpg

Also I received this few weeks ago. I paid 120$ cdn on Amazon.ca for it. Brand new. Their price is way below the price from other stores!

img7621v.jpg
    img7622r.jpg
    I have that Doors box set as well, sounds so gooooooooood!!!!!!!
    For anyone interested I saw an advertisement that the new Neil Young album from the Archive Performance Series Dreamin' Man will be out on vinyl January 12th, if I remember correctly. The CD is available December 8th.

I did get a email from Music Direct that the Tom Petty Live box set will be released on vinyl on a very limited run. The same people that are doing Neil Young's box is cutting the Petty set. I see it is listing for $149 for a 7 album set.
    tremors wrote:

as Jeff Murray mentioned, They are from the original analog tapes!

I have yet to open the box, but based on what they did with the blu-Ray archives, this stuff will be great!

Here is a review http://www.thrasherswheat.org/2009/11/m ... ginal.html

Wow, I had a look around those sites..... Not sure I should be getting drawn into this stuff tho! Sometimes ignorance is bliss :? There are other artists who I don't think I could restrain from buying quite so easily. I looked at the doors box-set on amazon.co.uk, and a few reviewers were saying it's a digital remaster and that they weren't that happy with the overall sound. Now, a set of Dylan remasters from the analogue tapes and I think I'd have to dive in! Do you know if there are any similar plans for stuff like this NY one with other artists? I guess they're not likely to go splitting up the albums with such limited releases.

Hmmm, I'm expecting the bulk of my absent vinyl to be delivered to me this weekend, so think I'm gonna have to do some serious taking stock!!

[hell - I can see these dylan analogue things are already out there. So much for having my head in the sand! They don't seem that pricey really. Has anybody here had a good listen to any of these mono sundazed mixes? any good? I'm not sure about the mono bit myself. This site seems a good bet for UK delivery: http://www.systemrecords.co.uk. I can see the NY stuff is available as individual albums too. This is a disaster]

Got the new Pearl Jam 7' single from HMV, another one added to the collection!!!! :D
    Having hundreds of my own records delivered in around 2 hrs: 24hr dispatch, free delivery - beat that Amazon! The sun is shining and I'm listening to the 180gm Ten Redux. Things have been a lot worse.....!

I like this redux thing, they've kept it similar enough to the original for it to be very familiar, with a lot of slight twists that help you (me!) hear it anew. I think it's more Ten 'refreshed' than remixed.

I'll post a couple of pics of my coloured vinyl etc here a bit later for anyone who's interested. If it's a pain, I'll stop - no doubt most of this stuff is very familiar to many people here! Still, I'm enjoying looking back at the records and sharing, so am happy to carry on.

Cya

t

Have been reunited with my vinyl. Am a bit too dizzy to take any pics I'm afraid.

I'm surprised at how good nick most of my records actually are - much better than I remember. I'm a bit bewildered by how what I thought I had, and what I thought was rare at the time often seems completely the other way round. If I ever owned Binaural on vinyl, it's nowhere to be seen now, whereas my riot act is probably one of the best kept records I have. I don't think I've ever actually played it (broken turntable!). Pretty sure I bought it in Sonic Boom records in Seattle now that I see it. I'm a little bit nervous about putting it on, since it is an album which has a tremendous effect on me. Better wait til the morning!

For anyone who cares, notable finds are 'In through the out door' practically mint, complete with paper sleeve (safe in a plastic cover). 5(!) copies of Darkness on the edge of Town, from various years with various inserts! - I know I trashed the first one I owned through over-use, so I guess I must have kept replacing it when I saw a nicer version. If anybody is desperate for a free vinyl copy of this album give me a shout.... Loads of decent original Who, Stones Beatles, Zeppelin and Floyd stuff & collectibles, again much better condition than I thought. Loads of Brit Indie stuff.

A lot of nice picture discs from various artists - this is one of my favourites (square pic disc):

The-Fink-Brothers-Mutants-In-Mega-C-58186.jpg
    58186b.jpg

On the PJ and 'related' front I see I have all the studio albums before Binaural (2x Vs original cover, 2 x Ten), quite a few of the coloured vinyl singles (NAIS eggshell blue-number '120'), Light Years yellow, Daughter red etc, 12 inch Temple of the Dog single with poster (very shiny all over!), Merkinball UK 7", Mike Watt 'Ball Hog or Tugboat' on clear blue vinyl, various Xmas singles, one promo 45 with 'Alive', 'Angel', 'Fuck' on it, UK spin the black circle & not for you in 'epic' sleeves, both referencing forthcoming album 'life'; the spin the black / tremor christ is completely shredded through over-use and looks like it has been underwater! Still has the sticker saying 'forthcoming album Vitalogy in store december 1st' on it. Unfortunately not many PJ spares, most of the doubles are one shredded copy and one decent replacement. There may be other non-pj stuff that I don't want to keep so I'll let you know when I go through it properly.

Is a little bit overwhelming, and yet all I keep thinking is 'I'm sure I had this one or that one too!'

Anyway, might even get round to playing some of it soon. Am mainly pleased to have retrieved the pristine copy of Physical Graffiti which I made a point of buying a week before my turntable broke down as a replacement for my old one.

If anyone wants me to post any pics I will, if not I'll just carry on trying to get my head round all the music and keep quiet!

I got Neil Young Live At Massey Hall and The Black Keys "The Big Come Up" on orange vinyl in the mail yesterday.
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,321
    MK186319 wrote:
    Got the new Pearl Jam 7' single from HMV, another one added to the collection!!!! :D

That's the latest vinyl I received in the mail, too! :|
    Just ordered the entire Fugazi catalog on vinyl from Dischord Records. Only one album wasn't available End Hits, will have to search for that one. All of the albums have been reissued this year and are relatively cheap. This was a no brainer purchase for me as they are one of my favorite bands of all time. :D
  • gfrasergfraser Posts: 686
    you people should really pick up this album. great stuff! and excellent pricing.

http://www.omgvinyl.com/2009/10/17/glac ... battle-lp/
    This post is © by gfraser
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,321
    gfraser wrote:
    you people should really pick up this album. great stuff! and excellent pricing.

The track on omgvinyl is pretty cool. Instrumental stuff rocks. Surprised they are not signed on a record label. But with today's music business, why need one if you have the tools & connection on your own.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    I got Neil Young Live At Massey Hall and The Black Keys "The Big Come Up" on orange vinyl in the mail yesterday.

Massey Hall, a little candlelight, a slight haze throughout the room......amazing, also substitute in the new reissue of Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere and you get similar results.......

I need to pick up some more new stuff....

Bought the new AIC just to get it and was surprised to see it was pressed on clear vinyl. The album is growing on me and I think I like it as much as any of their other albums, sans Unplugged. Speaking of.....Does anybody have it on wax?

The newest Black Crowes album, BotT from KoL(on red vinyl), Gish, Siamese Dream, Octahedron, and Southern Rock Opera have been spun quite a bit lately.
    demetrios wrote:
    gfraser wrote:

The track on omgvinyl is pretty cool. Instrumental stuff rocks. Surprised they are not signed on a record label. But with today's music business, why need one if you have the tools & connection on your own.

the whole album is tight! if you like the track on omg you will like the whole thing. i suggest buying the blue one. i bought both but the white limited comes with a wax seal, havent been able to bring myself to crack it :lol: .
  • Look at what I got here.....

img0931y.jpg

Can't wait to get home and Spin...Spin...Spin the Black Circle
    Look at what I got here.....

img0931y.jpg

:twisted:
  • gfraser wrote:
    demetrios wrote:
    gfraser wrote:

the whole album is tight! if you like the track on omg you will like the whole thing. i suggest buying the blue one. i bought both but the white limited comes with a wax seal, havent been able to bring myself to crack it :lol: .

Just picked up 2 of the L/E's....thanks for the hook-up...love supporting good music!
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
    Look at what I got here.....

img0931y.jpg

Merry Christmas to you too! I've been drooling all over my Music Direct catalog lately. I need to wait until I pay off my Christmas bills until I can get serious about getting a nice turntable.

Enjoy! :D
    Got a nice little package today from Third Man Records today. The Racontuers Live In London, The White Stripes Lets Shake Hands single, and a Dead Weather screenprint.
    Shame we're not gonna hear how that sounds Ron - enjoy!! Can you give us a little review?

I've recently been discovering the joys of cleaning records (shock horror!). Have got the mono Rubber Soul I inherited completely shining and singing out beautifully, without a single pop or a crackle!
    (And as we all know, Rubber Soul is twice as fabulous as whatever your favourite Beatles album is, isn't it?!)
    ;)

• Well I guess I'll have to wait before giving you a review on how the P3 sounds. I got home late friday night with my box and found a message on my answering machine. It was the guy from the audio store saying he had made a mistake. After installing the cartridge on the arm and repacking the turntable in the box, he forgot to put the platter back in the box! :(

I am picking up the platter tomorrow! The store is close to where I work.
    gfraser wrote:

Thanks for the recommendation, I ordered it last night. Along the same lines I pre-ordered the If These Trees Could Talk - Above The Earth, Below The Sky and Gifts From Enola - From Fathoms.

I'm waiting until my billing cycle closes to pre-order the White Stripes box set, that should be sweet.
  • ilockyerilockyer Posts: 2,224
    Can thoroughly recommend the Tom Waits - Glitter & Doom 2lp set, some great stuff there and sounds good. The Neil Young reissues are on my shopping list, unless I come across the originals at a sensible price. Am very spoiled in that I have an excellent vinyl store in my town - www.vinylera.co.uk - so I have to try not to go in too often!

Ron, great purchase with the P3-24. I'm currently running an original Planar 2 complete with original RB200 arm, long term plan is to keep this deck in original condition and get a higher end Rega deck, the P9 would be nice!
    The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits
    gfraser wrote:

Thanks for the recommendation, I ordered it last night. Along the same lines I pre-ordered the If These Trees Could Talk - Above The Earth, Below The Sky and Gifts From Enola - From Fathoms.

I'm waiting until my billing cycle closes to pre-order the White Stripes box set, that should be sweet.

ordered "if these trees could talk" also! cant wait to get it :)
  • ilockyer wrote:
    Can thoroughly recommend the Tom Waits - Glitter & Doom 2lp set, some great stuff there and sounds good. The Neil Young reissues are on my shopping list, unless I come across the originals at a sensible price. Am very spoiled in that I have an excellent vinyl store in my town - http://www.vinylera.co.uk - so I have to try not to go in too often!

Ron, great purchase with the P3-24. I'm currently running an original Planar 2 complete with original RB200 arm, long term plan is to keep this deck in original condition and get a higher end Rega deck, the P9 would be nice!

I've tried the P3-24 for the first time yesterday. The lucky winner was"Neil Young" from the performance series 1-4 box set. Right from the start I was blown away by the sound. Wow.

This was however a big mistake!!! Since the NY vinyl have an amazing sound quality, everything else sounds....well...OK!

Which of the pearl jam vinyl do you think sounds the best?

If you buy a P9 please post some pictures!!!!
    Well I guess I'll have to wait before giving you a review on how the P3 sounds. I got home late friday night with my box and found a message on my answering machine. It was the guy from the audio store saying he had made a mistake. After installing the cartridge on the arm and repacking the turntable in the box, he forgot to put the platter back in the box! :(

I am picking up the platter tomorrow! The store is close to where I work.

eek!

These things are sent to try us :). I trekked halfways across the country to pick up some particular trainers I'd ordered last month; tried one on and it fitted perfect, then just as I was about to return home triumphant they discovered the box just contained two left feet! I had to laugh.... :? . They arrived in the post 4 days later and I guess I appreciate them even more now for it!!

Yeah it's tough when you get something sounding really nice and then nothing else matches up. Before leaving home for my Xmas hols I was messing around with my speakers til the early hours cos I had them sounding particularly sweet with just about everything, and then moved them again, and lost it. Very frustrating! At least with mp3s you don't expect them to sound perfect.

This last two days I found a complete goldmine of practically mint used vinyl original pressings in a charity shop - completely unplayed by the looks of things (I sent the staff upstairs to dig out the extra stuff which was sitting in their store room!), I can't imagine how such a brilliant collection of great records remained so pristine. My friend used to play his records once, tape record them on some high-end Maxell tapes, and then put them away to preserve them. I'm wondering if the owner of this collection did something similar. Can't wait to get home and try them out! Got about 45 records for £30 - some of them look like great replacements for some of my worn out favourites. For some reason I'm drawn to the Bob Marley 'Kaya', cos it is ridiculously thick clean and shiny, and I can tell it's going to sound brill - not really listened to that album much since the 90s when I was drowning in a haze of noxious fumes. I've got an inkling it's gonna sound even better sober today!

In terms of the best sounding PJ albums on vinyl, I've always found no code and yield very good for the added richness, whereas Ten and Vs I can happily listen to on digital now since they gain something from the immediacy and attack. Vinyl Backspacer is sounding very good to me, quite a different angle from the digital, bringing out all the warmth in the voice which seems to hang at a different place in the mix.

Anyway, will shut up now for fear of sounding like a pretentious wine-taster ....I'm sensing cut grass, petrol, cherry and notes of summer fruit....!!

Good luck with re-listening to your collection Ron, I always find when I change my kit around some things sound surprisingly different and better suited than others, can be fun finding some new gems. Any pics for us to drool over?

Happy Xmas everybody, hope Santa brings you lots of vinyl!

t