Options

There's so much vinyl!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    MK186319 wrote:

MK, is this the one they are giving out with the new tour meet and greet packages, or did you buy this retail somewhere?
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • Options
    okblueduckokblueduck Posts: 427
    Finally found a copy of the first Wolfmother album! Awesome!
    This week I'll be getting the new Arcade
    Fire record.
    Fenway 1 & 2 2016
    MSG 1 & 2 2016
    Central Park 2015
    Barclays 2, Seattle 2013
    MSG 1 & 2 2010
    Boston 1 & 2 2006
    Boston 1 2004
    Augusta 1996
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Picked up....

At War With THe Mystics-Flaming Lips
    Amnesiac-Radiohead

Buying England By the Pound-Genesis>>my first taste of them and they are incredible...One of the most dynamic albums in my collection
    Layla......-Derek and the Dominoes>>gatefold is rough, but the vinyl is great...just enough crackle and pop to let you know that it's 40 years old.
  • Options
    seh242 wrote:
    Thanks Snoopy! and Ten, is it that high of a gram too?

Ten is not
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • Options
    I first got into collecting vinyl about ten years back. I have several Beatles, John Lennon and Wings. Unfortunately, I don't have very much PJ. I walked right past No Code on the shelf about ten years ago for $15 and didn't buy it. I'm still pissed at myself for that, but at the time I didn't like No Code, now it's one of my favorites. I should have bought it for the hell of it, because that was when I was single and childless so I had the money to spend on stuff like that, now there's not much extra money floating around and my husband gripes at me about my growing collection of PJ stuff. I can't believe he didn't catch this obsession during out dating time, now he acts like it's a surprise. Can't wait until I get a steady job, I'm going to blow so much money on PJ shit. :D
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    Can't wait until I get a steady job, I'm going to blow so much money on PJ shit. :D
    lol - that would make a great t-shirt slogan!!
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    Layla......-Derek and the Dominoes>>gatefold is rough, but the vinyl is great...just enough crackle and pop to let you know that it's 40 years old.

Yeah, I've been enjoying that 40 yr crackle of late - I definitely think the 60s / 70s original pressings sound best 90% of the time, so it's much easier to tolerate the interference - I'm getting to the point where I can almost 'smell' if a second hand record is going to sound sweet, from the sheen, the record label, something in the look that reminds me of other records. I picked up a Cream record like that a few weeks ago and it sounds stupendous - on my system anything at all 'valvey' sounds beautiful. Layla is a good record, pity the title track is so catastrophically good I'm not sure as many people know the album as should do - Bell Bottom Blues and Keep on Growing are probably better than the Layla itself I reckon

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    tremors wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

Yeah, I've been enjoying that 40 yr crackle of late - I definitely think the 60s / 70s original pressings sound best 90% of the time, so it's much easier to tolerate the interference - I'm getting to the point where I can almost 'smell' if a second hand record is going to sound sweet, from the sheen, the record label, something in the look that reminds me of other records. I picked up a Cream record like that a few weeks ago and it sounds stupendous - on my system anything at all 'valvey' sounds beautiful. Layla is a good record, pity the title track is so catastrophically good I'm not sure as many people know the album as should do - Bell Bottom Blues and Keep on Growing are probably better than the Layla itself I reckon

Old vinyl definitely has a certain smell and almost transforms the room when everything is just right. You can't fake the character that a record gets with age, whether its from the equipment used or just the right amount of wear.
  • Options
    FraserFraser Posts: 30
    My most recent buys are

Aereogramme Box Set by Aereogramme
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll-gogerychwyndrobwllantysiliogogogochynygofod (In Space) by The Super Furry Animals
    Spin The Black Circle by Pearl Jam
    Come On Pilgrim by The Pixies
    I'll Pick A Rose For My Rose 7" by Marv Johnson

and just as I buy all these records, my player breaks down! :cry:
    Leeds Festival - Aug 25, 2006
    Shepherd's Bush Empire - London - Aug 11, 2009
    The O2 - Dublin - Jun 22, 2010
  • Options
    my dads vinyl collection...hes was about the throw away.. :shock: beatles ,rolling stones,wings,simon and graf,moody blues and loads of neil diamond...about 60 albums in total.. :evil: and abba
  • Options
    my dads vinyl collection...hes was about the throw away.. :shock: beatles ,rolling stones,wings,simon and graf,moody blues and loads of neil diamond...about 60 albums in total.. :evil: and abba

Brilliant!

Dads' cast-offs are the way forward - I've inherited about 300 records that way from other people's fathers. One old guy down the road had all his hi-fi out front for a 'street sale', I snapped up his speaker stands and asked if he had any records lying around. He said he had lots but didn't think anyone would be interested - then he brought down LOADS of mint Bowie, Led Zep, more Led Zep, stones etc. He said he had no idea what to sell them for, and since I was only just getting back into the vinyl buying at the time I said I thought I had seen similar stuff for £1.00-£2.00 a piece, which he thought was reasonable - that afternoon I went to a record fair and all his stuff was going for £20-£30 pounds a shot. I felt quite guilty, for about 5 minutes.

You second-hand vinyl lovers need to come to Britain and have a good look in the charity shops - there's currently an endless supply of bargains rolling in. Oxfam are quite pricey compared to others but they have access to some decent record cleaning machines (which I don't), so some of their records sound amazing. I bought 3 smiths records from the same collection for £7.50 each, on the original rough trade label I think it is - Strangeways, The Queen is Dead, Meat is Murder - and they all sound absolutely brilliant (amongst the best I own) - the advantage over ebay is you can have a good look. I love browsing for records (over web-searching) and Oxfam have a LOT coming in currently.

When I used to go sniffing around when visiting the States I was often disappointed by the quality of the 2nd hand records trading there - I think Britain held onto vinyl for a good ten years longer than the States, and ebay arrived there earlier. As a result I think the British charity shops have a lot to offer still (don't tell anybody else mind!!)

• Options
    ive been doing just this the last few months..alot of bowie about for £3 and smiths ive seen as well £5..i agree with oxfam comment i think they price seach alot of vinyls.now ive got the player hooked up ..i think a once a week trip will start to happen..
  • Options
    ive been doing just this the last few months..alot of bowie about for £3 and smiths ive seen as well £5..i agree with oxfam comment i think they price seach alot of vinyls.now ive got the player hooked up ..i think a once a week trip will start to happen..

Yeah I've had quite a few 'discussions' (aka 'arguments') with Oxfam about their pricing - tho I think they are coming into line a bit now. I think what they do is, like you say, look up some 'list' price or websites, but they don't really know how to grade in relation to record quality or edition- so you have a scratched-to-fuck 1980s re-issue of Tea for the Tillerman going for £15, next to an original blonde on blonde 1960s UK mono for £10 - needless to say I bought the latter and it is amazing (completely different mix), and helped by the fact that they have cleaned it properly (I think they have 'moth' cleaning machines covering 5 or 6 stores in relatively populous areas).

They asked me to volunteer and do some pricing and write some tickets - which I might still do, although I can predict exactly what will happen - me writing 'Live Rust - a seminal live album which captures the best of Neil Young in both acoustic and electric forms - excellent condition, original pressing, a steal at £10' - shit, that sounds awesome - I think I'll put that aside for myself!

I got into a bit of a rhythm of checking oxfam for real decent 60s & 70s pressings and buying them 'as seen' for not more than £10, and then trawling the lesser known charity shops that sell anything they have for 50p to £1 a shot, and just buying whatever looks decent - tho I really don't need any more Johnny Cash, Shirley Bassey or 1980s 'Classic Rock' compilations at this stage!!

• Options
    thanks for all that..it will help me out ...err if you see lost dogs for £5 can you get me a copy. ;)

Yeah, funnily enough I've been looking for that too :)

• Options
    El PapeEl Pape Posts: 81
    here it is my new vinyl

I+Am+Mine+00.JPG

PD: Someone knows why "Save You" and "LBC" doesn't have a vinyl realese??

Do you want to see my vinyls collection? Just "Click" in the image

Vinilos%20Rock.JPG
  • Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,936
    51SYCOAULQL._SS400_.jpg

Kev are you sure you're 38 years old? that's my grandpa's music :lol:
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    El PapeEl Pape Posts: 81
    arq wrote:
    51SYCOAULQL._SS400_.jpg

Kev are you sure you're 38 years old? that's my grandpa's music :lol:

je je je je...

I like Marillion to and I have 27 years old

Vinilos%20Rock.JPG
  • Options
    I'm with theserialthrilla here - you guys don't know what you're missing out on! looks like good hunting to me!!

OK - my haul today - seems every time I post on here about the joys of charity shop scrounging, next day I have a lucky windfall. How about these 7 records from a backstreet charity shop - condition good to very good, mostly early pressings on original labels – grand overall total, the princely sum of £10!!

(top tip – always ask 'have you got anything else lying around out the back?') (get them before the mean professional ebayers get to see em!)

Elvis-Costello-This-Years-Model.jpg
    elviscostello15877.jpg

Faith-.jpgR-371878-1104930271.jpg

166171_1_f.jpg

(mashed up cover but contained a full vinyl of 'country life' lp as well!

Now I know I said yesterday 'no more johnny cash', but this looks interesting and was near mint
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSCv13acf0ucqhBRCBh5n1gV2gUbw2DLEUmQpxwxT42c_nC_r0&t=1&h=192&w=193&usg=__NLHwnpxbTKhwaqe_F4youmK4rAY=

And finally – the piece de resistance (sigh), a neat copy of Rubber Soul (stereo), to complement my mono pressing of my fave beatles album – think it's UK 1965 fourth pressing. Think it's gonna be good!!

The_Beatles-Rubber_Soul-Frontal.jpg

• Options
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm roxy music...

arq to be fair ive never listened to grandad marillion in my life but for 50p its wort a spin.

tremors you put me to shame..great finds...and that beatles woow nice..
  • Options
    tremors you put me to shame..great finds...and that beatles woow nice..

Yeah but I had to nag the guy 3 times to let me at his backroom stock which he hadn't had a chance to price up yet! (it's a dog eat dog world out there & to be honest most of the second hand shops apart from Oxfam charge a pound for pretty much everything they have)
    - I'm startin to feel guilty now....

[I'm thinking of making a £1500 donation to charity when my ship comes in - but at the moment I am more than broke. Currently I'm so desperate I believe I would push a mother and child into the way of oncoming traffic if there were a few cheap records to be had on the other side of the road!!]

Yes, I've never come across such a good beatles record in a charity shop before - they must normally get snapped up by collectors (today - me!)

• Options
    MK186319MK186319 Posts: 186
    Just pre-ordered Eddie Vedder Into The Wild 180gr. vinyl + 24 page book, no 7" vinyl, but hey, who ever missed out on the first run can pick this up and save $400 bucks, check it out from Soundstage Direct they are giving a 10% discount for the 10club forum http://www.soundstagedirect.com/eddie-v ... l-lp.shtml
  • Options
    brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
    new vinyl is too expensive for me. I did buy on ebay not too long ago this:

4523248679_e6719e207c.jpg

4523881252_c52dcc77ac_m.jpg

4523248743_f70c36ac31_m.jpg

all because of PJ's Christchurch '09 boot. lp is half wack - half great. but for $5 shipped it was so worth it! coolest physical vinyl ever.
  • Options
    looks amazing broloco - can you actually play it?

Today's forage found more books than vinyl - did manage to pick up a mint gatefold of the 'Kids from "Fame"' album for a pound tho. What's not to like?? It has a picture of Mr Shorofsky and Bruno on the back - and side 2 starts with 'Hi Fidelity' - which may well be the first 7" single I ever bought - or maybe I bought it for my brother. Who knows??

• Options
    PredakingPredaking Posts: 267
    I think there is a "Save You" single. I believe it may have been exclusive to Europe? I thought I saw it on ebay or something.
    El Pape wrote:
    here it is my new vinyl

I+Am+Mine+00.JPG

PD: Someone knows why "Save You" and "LBC" doesn't have a vinyl realese??

Vinilos%20Rock.JPG
  • Options
    Have finally made it home to listen to my new charity shop purchases - the Rubber Soul is sweet as hell! Don't think I'll be taking it off the turntable to try any of the others for a few days yet!

The only audible crackles are between songs, and the voices and harmonies are clear as you like - the reason I love this turntable so is it has an extremely natural harmonious sound, so it's really like eating your dinner whilst having the fab four singing away somewhere back in the rest of the house.

I could go on about Rubber Soul all day - I think it is the Beatles album with the most 'layers' - not so obviously drugged up or revolutionary as the later stuff - but I think it is the transitional album between the tight songwriting and amazing harmonies in the early albums, and the 'wider' sounds and subjects of the later albums. It is also the funkiest; and an album where you can hear just how brilliant George Harrison was - if you look across all his Beatles work you can pretty much hear the blueprint for almost every genre of rock, pop and even metal in one song or another. Even on the 'throwaway' Ringo track here, 'what goes on', Harrison's little licks and flourishes are superb.

I've found this is also a great 'vinyl-loving' record - the superb harmonies, but also the harmonics on the guitars and vox-synth whatever it is they are using. I noticed something on my mono version some months ago, and my friend picked up on exactly the same thing when we were listening to it freshly cleaned on his dad's super duper budget slaying turntable: - the guitar solo in the middle of 'nowhere man' - if you listen right through, the very last note on the solo is a real high chiming guitar harmonic which sounds astounding on a decent turntable - just that last note - it really rings out clearly. Funny thing is neither of us had ever really noticed this note during years of listening on CD - it's a good test for your turntable I reckon!! Last note of the nowhere man guitar solo!

Sorry to rabbit on - didn't intend to write a full album review! Thx for listening.

One more thing - some of the lyrics are very interesting - you have some of lennon's most cutting misogyny, some universal themes - but I am always struck by some of the 'living arrangements', or 'housing' references - it makes me wonder what kind of Bohemian lives they were living then!! Obviously there's the famous 'crawled off to sleep in the bath', but I also like the line where he says 'Carve your number on my wall and maybe you will get a call from me' - makes me think of some kind of high-class 'squatting' going on - or a load of trendies living in and out of each others' apartments etc.

Anyway - back to the vinyl!!

• Options
    joely_91joely_91 Posts: 795
    recently picked up rubber soul on vinyl myself.....norwegian wood sounds so good...the sitar is amazing 8-)
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    tremors wrote:
    Have finally made it home to listen to my new charity shop purchases - the Rubber Soul is sweet as hell! Don't think I'll be taking it off the turntable to try any of the others for a few days yet!

The only audible crackles are between songs, and the voices and harmonies are clear as you like - the reason I love this turntable so is it has an extremely natural harmonious sound, so it's really like eating your dinner whilst having the fab four singing away somewhere back in the rest of the house.

I could go on about Rubber Soul all day - I think it is the Beatles album with the most 'layers' - not so obviously drugged up or revolutionary as the later stuff - but I think it is the transitional album between the tight songwriting and amazing harmonies in the early albums, and the 'wider' sounds and subjects of the later albums. It is also the funkiest; and an album where you can hear just how brilliant George Harrison was - if you look across all his Beatles work you can pretty much hear the blueprint for almost every genre of rock, pop and even metal in one song or another. Even on the 'throwaway' Ringo track here, 'what goes on', Harrison's little licks and flourishes are superb.

I've found this is also a great 'vinyl-loving' record - the superb harmonies, but also the harmonics on the guitars and vox-synth whatever it is they are using. I noticed something on my mono version some months ago, and my friend picked up on exactly the same thing when we were listening to it freshly cleaned on his dad's super duper budget slaying turntable: - the guitar solo in the middle of 'nowhere man' - if you listen right through, the very last note on the solo is a real high chiming guitar harmonic which sounds astounding on a decent turntable - just that last note - it really rings out clearly. Funny thing is neither of us had ever really noticed this note during years of listening on CD - it's a good test for your turntable I reckon!! Last note of the nowhere man guitar solo!

Sorry to rabbit on - didn't intend to write a full album review! Thx for listening.

One more thing - some of the lyrics are very interesting - you have some of lennon's most cutting misogyny, some universal themes - but I am always struck by some of the 'living arrangements', or 'housing' references - it makes me wonder what kind of Bohemian lives they were living then!! Obviously there's the famous 'crawled off to sleep in the bath', but I also like the line where he says 'Carve your number on my wall and maybe you will get a call from me' - makes me think of some kind of high-class 'squatting' going on - or a load of trendies living in and out of each others' apartments etc.

Anyway - back to the vinyl!!

And all this is the reason why it's the greatest album made (my favorite, obviously). I mean Sgt. Pepper is a fantastic record, but Rubber Soul is the Beatles at their finest! Every song is great on this album. The harmonies on "Nowhere Man" are unbelievable and I've always heard that last harmonic in the solo while listening on CD; just didn't know what it was called until my guitar teacher told me what it was.

The Beatles made this as a response to Dylan's "Highway 61 Revisited" album and Lennon refers to Rubber Soul as "the pot album". Just reading and talking about this album has me playing the album now. Favorite album of all time!
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    gems_n_rhinestonesgems_n_rhinestones Harrisburg, PA Posts: 379
    There's too many posts in this thread......

but what I will say is that I was at George's Song Shop in Johnstown PA (a small humbiggity town) and there was no PJ vinyl to be found. I am not a collector or nor do I particularly care about vinyl, but I know a lot of you do, so I thought maybe I'd find a steal, but even the 65 year old guy at the mega old store stated "Pearl Jam vinyl is hard to come by"...and he seemed to know it was worth something.

Anyway, I thought that was semi-cool...