Has PJ ever made you cry?

Comments

• Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    no not really but when I cry I want PJ to listen to
    cause it feels right
  • Options
    SH17171SH17171 Posts: 425
    my wife had tears when she heard small town live for the first time in 1997 still happens to this day when we see them one of hers favs
    Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out
  • Options
    I haven't really cried to any song, i've come very close to, but just haven't....but if there was one song that would make me cry it would be "Man of the Hour." -that song is so amazing, yet sad.
  • Options
    PJSEMPREPJSEMPRE Posts: 687
    I cried during Black and Alive when I saw them 4 years ago... I couldn't avoid the emotion.
    Let's say knowledge is a tree, yeah.
    It's growing up just like me.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    PJSEMPRE wrote:
    I cried during Black and Alive when I saw them 4 years ago... I couldn't avoid the emotion.
    always that 2 songs are ....
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    ANJ886ANJ886 Posts: 3
    :roll:

Man of the hour,

I can't listen to the song withour tears coming to my eyes
  • Options
    stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    too many times to list.

Yeah me too .... many many times over the years .... the beauty of their music renders me helpless often
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Options
    slingsling Posts: 169
    It wasn't really PJ per se, since it was just Eddie & Mike & Neil, but when they did Long Road on the September 11th Tribute to Heroes... all of those September 11th emotions were released... it was like a dam breaking.
  • Options
    stardust1976stardust1976 Posts: 1,301
    Black - beautiful song, but depends on my mood - sometimes makes me cry..

Come Back - such emotion in his voice - makes me cry if I am already sad...

The End - bawled like a friggin' baby for about the first 25 times I listened to it!!! - my husband left the day Backspacer came out - I know it's about dying, but the words fit for this too, and it breaks my heart to hear the emotion in Ed's voice.....
  • Options
    BhagavadGitaBhagavadGita Posts: 1,748
    I just ran my first marathon (Chicago '09), and with a mile to go after 25 miles of not listening to my iPod I threw on "Backspacer" with "Gonna See My Friend" first to fire me up and then "Unthought Known". The latter brought tears to my eyes when I saw the finish line in sight. I had a pretty crappy illness growing up where I wasn't sure that I'd ever be able to even think about trying for something like a marathon. The memories of the sacrifices my parents made, the care of my doctors, and the build up of that song especially the piano really made me choke up.

That is a lovely story.

I can remember lying on the wooden floor listening to Come Back and bawling my eyes out.

I can't count how many times Backspacer has brought tears to my eyes.
  • Options
    tinkerbelltinkerbell New Zealand Posts: 2,161
    Black - beautiful song, but depends on my mood - sometimes makes me cry..

Come Back - such emotion in his voice - makes me cry if I am already sad...

The End - bawled like a friggin' baby for about the first 25 times I listened to it!!! - my husband left the day Backspacer came out - I know it's about dying, but the words fit for this too, and it breaks my heart to hear the emotion in Ed's voice.....

That sucks! Hope you are doing OK?!?
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • Options
    I've almost cry my first PJ gig. This year at O2 arena "london". Also I almost cry at the end of "Big fish" with Man on the hour.
    But when i really went into tears was hearing Ed. music in the film "into the wild".
    "Any life is made up of a single moment, the moment in which a man finds out, once and for all, who he is." JLB.
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    long road did last night. watchin touring band
  • Options
    Never actually cried but The End brought me really really close. So special . . . and the way he sings it broken up adds SO much emotion
    http://mastersofourdomain.blogspot.com/

My Movie/Music Reviews & Sports Blog
  • Options
    DangDangDangDang Posts: 1,551
    Yes, first time took me by surprise because I didn't expect it at all--previously had just gotten "chills"/goose bumps from songs.

While first hearing the line "all those rusted signs, we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead",(on MSG DVD) I just burst out crying, complete with vocal "wah wah"s and everything. I didn't even know why that line "cracked" me up so.

But backspacer threw me completely over the edge.

You know how a song plays in your head throughout the day after hearing it? I was even crying from my mind's playback of "The End". That's pretty, what's the word, intense!

And "unthought known",--ooh I got a sting just thinking of that song. I swear, he's trying to kill us with those lines. I can't even repeat them. The most beautiful song I ever heard.

Actually Pearl Jam, especially after seeing them recently on the 28th, has just about made other music I USED to like seem pretty boring in comparison. Although my love for them has grown gradual & steady, it must be about two years now since I've had the desire to listen to other bands. I know, pathetic right? Well, its all their fault.
  • Options
    I'm changing my answer-
    yes, Sunday morning
  • Options
    RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,608
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • Options
    MD97728MD97728 Posts: 115
    lost my brother last year who was also a big fan. as a matter of fact he gave me their live at msg dvd but also had a copy for himself. i put the dvd in the casket with him. my son wore his watch to the halloween show so he could be there with us. but anyway, 'brother' came out just around the same time i lost him so that makes me cry along with 'footsteps,' 'just breathe' and i'm sure i could name a few more! i'm just too emotional - especially when it comes to PJ and their lyrics!
  • Options
    MD97728 wrote:
    lost my brother last year who was also a big fan. as a matter of fact he gave me their live at msg dvd but also had a copy for himself. i put the dvd in the casket with him. my son wore his watch to the halloween show so he could be there with us. but anyway, 'brother' came out just around the same time i lost him so that makes me cry along with 'footsteps,' 'just breathe' and i'm sure i could name a few more! i'm just too emotional - especially when it comes to PJ and their lyrics!
    I'm sorry- I lost my sister- being emotional is so good though it really makes life worth living
  • Options
    Sir. PJSir. PJ Posts: 149
    I cried like a baby when I saw this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBpg24zPBqg

It is THE SINGLE GREATEST and emotional performance of Black that I have ever witnessed.
    WATCH IT if you have ever loved this band, I beg you!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    PJ Greg wrote:

It is THE SINGLE GREATEST and emotional performance of Black that I have ever witnessed.
    Don't have to beg me- that was awesome- the crowd ending the song like that was beautiful
    he says -" you mend a broken heart" - I think there at the end
    thanks for posting
    oh and Stone looks so much better hippie style
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    The End.... first time listening to it, and reading the words at the same time. (yup, I waited for the album)
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    PJ Greg wrote:

WOW! First time I've seen or heard that. Absolutely incredible. Thanks for sharing..
  • Options
    Sir. PJSir. PJ Posts: 149
    CJMST3K wrote:
    The End.... first time listening to it, and reading the words at the same time. (yup, I waited for the album)

Same here, only a bit different. I first heard THE END live at the EV solo concert in Baltimore over the summer...5 rows away...in an opera house.

It was the most amazing single "man and guitar" song that I have ever heard... after the show for a couple months I tried to find the setlist on line to try to figure out what it was. I thought at first that it must have been a cover of someone else like Cat Stevens. I failed and sadly gave up my search. Then Upon spinning Backspacer for the first time, the second THE END came on, there was a pit in my stomach, because I realized that it was the same song and that I was about to experience it again, and as many times as I wanted.

Though none can compare to that first time live, 5 rows away in an opera house. Ed's voice in that setting truly is like the voice of Zeus.
  • Options
    I just ran my first marathon (Chicago '09), and with a mile to go after 25 miles of not listening to my iPod I threw on "Backspacer" with "Gonna See My Friend" first to fire me up and then "Unthought Known". The latter brought tears to my eyes when I saw the finish line in sight. I had a pretty crappy illness growing up where I wasn't sure that I'd ever be able to even think about trying for something like a marathon. The memories of the sacrifices my parents made, the care of my doctors, and the build up of that song especially the piano really made me choke up.

God bless, man, God bless. I was a runner in high school, came down with Crohn's disease when I was 20. It's been a long time coming but through the sacrifices of my folks and doctors I'm back to the way I used to be. I could never make it through a marathon, but I run every 5 and 10k I can. Being able to run as well as do other things again that I couldn't even imagine doing when I was so sick with my Crohn's gives me the feeling sometimes I've been given a new life. I know it's a pretty upbeat song and I know Eddie wrote it for Johnny, but Life Wasted usually gets me pretty choked up. I take those lyrics very, very personally. I wish you the best in the future in regard to your running career!
    If hope can grow from dirt like me ...
  • Options
    BeeGirl86BeeGirl86 Pittsburgh Posts: 169
    Come Back makes me cry almost every time...
    My older brother passed away when I was in middle school...and that song makes me think of him every time. I have the lyrics tattooed down my back <3
    Also, the first time they played "It's Okay" after Daughter was an amazing experience for me...I thought I was just gonna get chills but tears just built up.
    I miss you alreddie.
  • Options
    PeArLgOoNeRPeArLgOoNeR Posts: 1,247
    PJ Greg wrote:

This gives it a run for it's money!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mptSle_PgFY

"Time heals the wounds no one can see, but my memories won't leave me alone" :shock:

06 had some incredible Black's

Hamburg 2000, Berlin 2006, Copenhagen 2007, Berlin 2009, Berlin 2010, Berlin 1+2 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1+2 2014, Vienna 2014, Berlin 2014, Prague 2018, Krakow 2018
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    yesterday i put Rotterdam boot,,i remember the phone call i make to my sister .and that put me in tears.13-8-09 when pj played at Rotterdam ,was her birthday and i called her to listen Black..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Teared up a bit at the show last night, awesome night, listening to Just Breathe got me going as it reminds me of someone who I can never "as I come clean, I.." to about the way I feel. Knowing that person was in the same stadium listening to the same words made it all the more difficult. Sentimental bullshit compared to some of the other thoughts expressed in this thread though, it's amazing how PJ's music has helped so many people through so many situations..hope they get a chance to look at some of this stuff and see what they mean to people.
  • Options
    The End!

I, too, first heard/saw it @ EV Baltimore 1. Blow away. So powerful. I prefer the solo acoustic version to the string version but either way such a powerful song. As a husband and a father it has touched me deeply.

Altho not PJ, EV's Long Nights is a close second. Another song about identity, sense of self, doubt and change.

Lake Fairfax 8/14/1992
    Cleveland 5/20/2006
    Columbia, SC 6/16/2008
    EV DC 8/17/2008
    EV Baltimore 6/14/2009
    Salt Lake 9/28/2009
    Philly 1 10/27/2009