Options

Has PJ ever made you cry?

Comments

• Options
    HeyWayneHeyWayne Posts: 316
    nigel wrote:
    Release the most amazing opening song to a truly amazing evening at the O2 back in August.

Cried like a baby...

Got me too.

And got me again t'other day when listening to the bootleg in tha car. Thankfully I was sat in traffic.

Can't explain why it brings a tear to my eye - the studio version doesn't, but just being there, watching PJ live. Something inside just needed to get out.
    Just a dude growing veg

haywayne.blogspot.com
  • Options
    OkOk Posts: 2,144
    The other day, listening to The End, that part about sickness in my bones....
  • Options
    Most definitely.
    "Off He Goes" does it every freaking time... it's an amazing song but I often have to skip it for personal reasons. The full meaning of the song was explained to me during a hospitalization when I was about 16 by a practitioner that was a huge fan. Christ, I don't know any of you personally and I'm already throwing this stuff out there... lol. "Immortality" does something similar but I never knew the story behind it.

I cried tears of joy when I heard "Present Tense" at the 8/24/09 show (my first!), "LBC" made me smile something huge on the Madison Square Garden dvd, and later on at the 8/24 show "Black" choked me up for the very first time.

Pearl Jam makes me feel a very wide range of emotions, and they're all important to my own wellbeing, whether it's to help me purge the bad shit stuck deep inside that doesn't want to come out, or bring me to a blissful place. :)
    "Don't mean to push, but I'm bein' shoved!!"
  • Options
    first time i heard black,i bawled like a baby.
    Oh dear dad Can you see me now I am myself
    Like you somehow
  • Options
    pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    Yep, bawled my eyes out after Brisbane when I went back to my hotel (alone), woke up the next day and realised it was the end of the tour. No way am I gonna wait another 3 years to see them!
  • Options
    Given to Fly, anytime anywhere gets me thinking about those loved and lost... tears of sadness and joy all at the same time its wonderful!
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    next summer in europe tour will do it again.... :D
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    yes
  • Options
    71step2871step28 Hamburg Posts: 2,249
    yes, again, 3 times just a few hours ago !!

17.39 with Dublin, 18.18 with Belfast and 20.03 with Berlin :D
  • Options
    ZmoBedlam wrote:
    Most definitely.
    "Off He Goes" does it every freaking time... it's an amazing song but I often have to skip it for personal reasons. The full meaning of the song was explained to me during a hospitalization when I was about 16 by a practitioner that was a huge fan. Christ, I don't know any of you personally and I'm already throwing this stuff out there... lol. "Immortality" does something similar but I never knew the story behind it.

I cried tears of joy when I heard "Present Tense" at the 8/24/09 show (my first!), "LBC" made me smile something huge on the Madison Square Garden dvd, and later on at the 8/24 show "Black" choked me up for the very first time.

Pearl Jam makes me feel a very wide range of emotions, and they're all important to my own wellbeing, whether it's to help me purge the bad shit stuck deep inside that doesn't want to come out, or bring me to a blissful place. :)

What kind of hospitalization? I don't know if I should be throwing this out there so openly, but I'm 17 years old and I've been in 3 different psych hospitals 4 times, one residential treatment place twice, and to partial hospitalization once. So if it's that kind of hospitalization, it's nice to know that I'm not alone. If it's for some other medical reasons or something, oh well. I actually discovered Pearl Jam while at the partial hospitalization program, because the person who was assigned to give us our school time while there (kind of a teacher) was a fan and he played the Even Flow music video for us. I was in love with Pearl Jam immediately.

I'm also going to quickly mention for the more judgemental people out there that I've been in hospitals for suicide attempts and depression, not psychotic symptoms or something like that. But I don't think there's anything wrong with that either, it's a condition that can't be helped and that can be treated.
  • Options
    superzelie wrote:
    ZmoBedlam wrote:
    Most definitely.

What kind of hospitalization? I don't know if I should be throwing this out there so openly, but I'm 17 years old and I've been in 3 different psych hospitals 4 times, one residential treatment place twice, and to partial hospitalization once. So if it's that kind of hospitalization, it's nice to know that I'm not alone. If it's for some other medical reasons or something, oh well. I actually discovered Pearl Jam while at the partial hospitalization program, because the person who was assigned to give us our school time while there (kind of a teacher) was a fan and he played the Even Flow music video for us. I was in love with Pearl Jam immediately.

I'm also going to quickly mention for the more judgemental people out there that I've been in hospitals for suicide attempts and depression, not psychotic symptoms or something like that. But I don't think there's anything wrong with that either, it's a condition that can't be helped and that can be treated.

You're not alone by any means. :) And yes, I was referring to psych hospitalizations, for... well, all of the above.
    "Don't mean to push, but I'm bein' shoved!!"
  • Options
    Every album and song has some kind of significance to a part of my life, as im sure is the same for most of you. But the standout songs that make me an emotional wreck everytime (live or album) are Black, Given to fly, Presentence and Indifference, this year at Melbourne PJ played all of those songs and tears streamed down my face. All so beautiful and all so important in the cross roads of my life.
    Dream the dreams of others then,... You will be no ones rival,...
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    had a good cry during "Come Back" in Chicago. makes me think of my sis :cry:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    Each and every time I hear, think of, or am reminded of "Off He Goes".
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    Arc - E.V. solo memphis

Crown of thorns - Philly night 4

plenty of other times, but those two stick out to me right now.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    man of the hour
    quite a few times actually, but most especially in milan
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    redeyeredeye Posts: 620
    yea the opening song of any show....
  • Options
    Yes. And sometimes out of the blue, unexpected reactions. After quite an emotional time in my life, recovering from heartbreak. After I thought I had put most, if not all of it behind me. All the ones that seem to trigger most of us here such as: Black, Release, Rearviewmirror, Elderly Woman, Footsteps, Not For You, Nothingman, Corduroy, Immortality, Light Years, Parting Ways, Wishlist. Maybe me more of those than some others here...but it was an incredibly rough patch in my life, suffering through a terrible heartbreak and then losing my mother a few years later from lung cancer. I only really discovered Pearl Jam between Yield and Binaural...not that I hadn't heard them on the radio...the "connection" just hadn't happened until then. Binaural had just come out shortly before the crap hit the fan in my life. I remember picking up the "Pearl Jam" (Avacado) CD and getting home and putting it on and just sitting back and letting the whole thing play out. And then Come Back plays. I burst into tears, so much they run down my neck too. And I remember to this day saying "You did it again, you son of a bitch..." Again, Pearl Jam touches me in an emotional way and moves me. Not exactly unexpected, but I didn't read any lyrics ahead of time, I just read in time with the music, so no "sneak peaks. Caught me unprepared...but in a way, it felt so good at the same time. Pardon the pun, but it was a "release" of sorts. And I don't think there could be a better song to follow Come Back than Inside Job. After such an emotional gut wrenching song in Come Back...the uplifting nature of Inside Job just feels so right in that spot. Kinda helps you "put yourself back together." And other songs I "finally got my hands and ears on" such as Sad and also I Got Id....especially Id once I figured out (as best I can) WTF Eddie's saying, ha ha. And when Backspacer came out, The End really got me the first time I heard it. And Unthought Known can do it too. And yeah...when I watched Big Fish and Man of the Hour came on...it hit me hard...I lost my father when I was 12...old feelings, but after that film and with that song...it was impossible not to get choked up. Lovely film, lovely song. I'm in a much better place now...and without Pearl Jam, I always say I'd be in a mental ward somewhere...
    09/23/1998 - West Palm Beach, FL - Coral Sky Ampitheater
    08/09/2000 - West Palm Beach, FL - Mars Music Ampitheater
    04/11/2003 - West Palm Beach, FL - Sound Advice Ampitheater
    10/08/2004 - Orlando, FL - Silver Spurs Arena (A.C.T. Tour)
    06/11/2008 - West Palm Beach, FL - Cruzan Ampitheater
  • Options
    Oh yeah...and before I forget. On the Into the Wild soundtrack. I know Ed didn't write it...but his version of Hard Sun tore me to pieces.

I've battled depression a couple of times in my life. Music has always helped me. Bands such as Pink Floyd, The Who, Pete Townshend's solo work...I would have gone bonkers. I never thought I would have such a powerful connection to a band like that again. And granted, okay I never actually thought of it that way...but if I had, I'd be the first to say I'm so glad I was wrong.

And one more thing...all I want for Christmas is an announcement of more U.S. 2010 dates...hopefully West Palm Beach, FL....(please, please, please!!)

And Happy Holidays to all here at 10C.
    09/23/1998 - West Palm Beach, FL - Coral Sky Ampitheater
    08/09/2000 - West Palm Beach, FL - Mars Music Ampitheater
    04/11/2003 - West Palm Beach, FL - Sound Advice Ampitheater
    10/08/2004 - Orlando, FL - Silver Spurs Arena (A.C.T. Tour)
    06/11/2008 - West Palm Beach, FL - Cruzan Ampitheater
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    It just hit me that there are a bunch of Pearl Jam songs that have made me cry, and all of them are about the death of someone...

i think there's more but the ones that stick out are...

Yellow Ledbetter
    Alive (but only the Ten version, or early versions)
    Say Hello 2 Heaven
    Come Back (especially this one)

in each case, the guitar solo is where i lose it if i do!

8-) Eddie has made me cry too. All I gotta say is The End.
  • Options
    I cried a lot to Present Tense, because I took it so much to myself, and still do: while listening it in a rather difficult moment, with the Lake Garda, Italy, and the mountains in front of my eyes and a bottle of wine (the first one ever!) at my side, I realised my cheeks were WET and Fred (the secondary hero of a book I'm writing) was so real and clear as if he was there with me, alive, his heart beating with mine. Actually, this song in a way saves him from desperation! :?
    Just Breathe is always a huge emotion. And I couldn't help putting it in a way in my book too... It's just that the guy in question that lives in there is sooooo terribly fitting to some of the songs, so I imagine it as his declaration to the love of his life... So romantic... 8-) Hope PJ's not going to sue me if ever the novel goes to print... :lol:
    I am mine = VERY difficult to stay cool.
    Cried for the I'M OPEN man = especially when I realised how much he resembled me, at the time.
    Get quite moved when hearing Can't Keep, probably because it sets me into a fighting mood when I'm down or fragile. ???
    Anyway, if not crying, there's A LOT of emotions that make me feel alive with PJ. Pure beauty. THANKS, PJ!!!

P.S. And Indifference... Personnally - it's a vow.
    Feel like a right piece in a wrong place.
  • Options
    masciamascia Posts: 20
    For me it's impossible not to cry when I listen to Elderly Woman, it's such a deep and touching song... :cry:
  • Options
    The first song: Black.
    The most recent: Low Light...esp when the lyrics "car crash" come up...for some reason...
  • Options
    when I saw them for the fist time in nearly a decade in Fargo in 2003. When Ed came on and started with Arc, I felt a rush go through my body, completely warming, and I started to tear up. My now-wife told me she loved me because of how I "feel" when she saw that happen.

I'll never forget that feeling.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    they evoke some serious emotion. i've cried in my room with pj on the stereo more times than i care to remember...sometimes im already dour when i put'em on, sometimes they help me to get in touch with the bad vibes and help me get it all out

live...? hard to cry when yer grinnin ear to ear for those few hours
    and fuck me if I say somethin you dont wanna hear, fuck me!
    and fuck me if you only hear what you wanna hear
    fuck me...if I care...but im not leavin here
  • Options
    Bonnaroo- during release
  • Options
    AyeeeeAyeeee Posts: 80
    Was heavy into PJ for years while I was a teen before I got to see them live. Finally saw them in Halifax in 2005 when I was 20. I was one of the first people to their seat after getting a poster, 10th row. I sat down and looked up at Matt's drums and Jeff's amps and cried, finally made it to a PJ show... Then they opened with Hard to Imagine for the first time ever which made me think I was dreaming and not actually at a PJ show until they kicked into Animal second... Best night of my life yet!
    "Believe in lies... to get by..."
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    prune juice made me poo..then cry
  • Options
    A few times...

Low Light - Boston 2 2003. I never thought I would hear this song live.

Light Years - After my dog died, this song really hit me for some reason.
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    NOTHING AS IT SEEMS
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”