The Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread

Comments

• chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    Nitty played well early... the Flyers hit a few posts in the first and couldn't cash in on the PP... missed some opportunities in the 2nd but played well defensively and then plugged away till the flood gates opened. It was a nice hard fought effort for 60 minutes without you're best D-man. A nice win especially after the loss on Sat.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • pretextpretext Posts: 1,294
    Tons of fun last night, even when they couldn't bury a chance to save their lives in the first two periods. I was worried about Niitty early - he was moving around and overreacting to much - but he settled down after awhile. I honestly don't know why teams bother going low, as he has some of the quickest feet in the league, and his glove hand is somewhat suspect. Also, I know his numbers are better, but I still feel more comfortable with Biron. One guy who's driving me nuts is Lupul. It shouldn't take a demotion to the third line for a guy to show up to play. I've hung my hat on him since his Anaheim days, but his inconsistency and apparent unwillingness to play hard for games on end are too much anymore. With Giroux coming up and Briere coming back, I wouldn't mind seeing Lupul shipped out next week.
  • lralle wrote:
    Tons of fun last night, even when they couldn't bury a chance to save their lives in the first two periods. I was worried about Niitty early - he was moving around and overreacting to much - but he settled down after awhile. I honestly don't know why teams bother going low, as he has some of the quickest feet in the league, and his glove hand is somewhat suspect. Also, I know his numbers are better, but I still feel more comfortable with Biron. One guy who's driving me nuts is Lupul. It shouldn't take a demotion to the third line for a guy to show up to play. I've hung my hat on him since his Anaheim days, but his inconsistency and apparent unwillingness to play hard for games on end are too much anymore. With Giroux coming up and Briere coming back, I wouldn't mind seeing Lupul shipped out next week.

I agree...but Lupul wont bring much back by himself in a trade

I bet they hold tight at the deadline
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    What??? Lupul and Lehtonen in Atl have a similar contract, we can trade them straight up... ;)

Vaananen and Metro put on waivers today to help make room for Briere... Metro will probably clear... still moves need to be made to make space for Briere... most likely Powe and/ or Giroux down to the Phantoms although I think Homer will do his best to keep Claude with the big club.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Rumor... Flyers to make play for Jay Bouwmeester....

Would you trade Gagne and Lupul for Bouwmeester??? I wouldn't part with Giroux under any circumstance, especially not to rent a guy for a few months....

Admin

• chromiam wrote:
    What??? Lupul and Lehtonen in Atl have a similar contract, we can trade them straight up... ;)

Vaananen and Metro put on waivers today to help make room for Briere... Metro will probably clear... still moves need to be made to make space for Briere... most likely Powe and/ or Giroux down to the Phantoms although I think Homer will do his best to keep Claude with the big club.

Eeek...I hope Homer doesn't trade for Lehtonen

That would be a mistake

He would have to be a magician to pull something off

• chromiam wrote:

Would you trade Gagne and Lupul for Bouwmeester??? I wouldn't part with Giroux under any circumstance, especially not to rent a guy for a few months....

I thought I read FLA didn't want salary back just prospects and draft picks ??

I would make that trade in a heart beat...as long as Jay Bo signs a long term deal

chromiam wrote:

I thought I read FLA didn't want salary back just prospects and draft picks ??

I would make that trade in a heart beat...as long as Jay Bo signs a long term deal

Yeah I heard that too... guess it will come down to what FLA wants and what the Flyers are willing to part with...

and if they made that deal, the Flyers HAVE to sign Jay Bo to a long term deal...

Admin

• RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    chromiam wrote:
    Vaananen and Metro put on waivers today to help make room for Briere.
    Both claimed.
    Rygar wrote:
    chromiam wrote:
    Both claimed.

not that surprised.. would have liked to keep Metro but have to make room for Briere some how.

Wonder if Metro will play tonite....

Admin

chromiam wrote:
    Rygar wrote:
    chromiam wrote:
    Both claimed.

not that surprised.. would have liked to keep Metro but have to make room for Briere some how.

Wonder if Metro will play tonite....
    Carbo's going to talk to him this afternoon to see if he can play.
    Seems like a more affordable replacement for Begin who we traded yesterday.
    Gamewise, not a good weekend outlook for the Habs ;)
    Looks like Briere will not play tonite unless Kimmo is healthy... they cannot send Lasse down to the Phantoms unless Kimmo is a go and without demoting Lasse, there isn't enough cap space to bring Briere back..... ahhhh this should all be fun....

Admin

• 0-8 on the PP

That is all

• Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Interesting...

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?i ... elated_nhl

FLYERS STEPPING UP EFFORTS FOR BOUWMEESTER

(1:30pm et) - The Philadelphia Flyers are stepping up their efforts to acquire defenceman Jay Bouwmeester from the Florida Panthers, but salary cap constraints are rearing their ugly head.

The Flyers are bumping up against the cap and they are working hard to try to free up some space.

Sources say one of the options is trading goaltender Marty Biron and turning the number one job over to Antero Niittymaki. One potential scenario has the Flyers trading Biron to the Phoenix Coyotes as part of a plan that would see the Coyotes flip Biron to another team.

But the Coyotes aren't going to make that move unless they have the other deal already set up.

It should be noted, however, that Biron has a no-trade clause and would have to be on board with any move that is made.

There is also a similar scenario involving Boston goalie Manny Fernandez, who has reportedly been offered to Phoenix. The Coyotes have no interest in keeping Fernandez but might take him if they can flip him. Boston is only likely to trade Fernandez if they find a need to clear some cap space.

Sources say the Buffalo Sabres may be in the market for one of the available goaltenders, given Ryan Miller's high ankle sprain.

I read that earlier and for as much as it would upgrade the D, it would basically leave the goaltending situation unchanged. Neither guy has shown he can be the #1 goalie all season and by basically trading Biron away along with Lupul and Carle for J Bow, you don't solve the larger problem in net. Plus you can create a problem for next year (similar to this year) with the cap by having to sign Bouwmeester and at least one goaltender.

Admin

nice game last night... didn't get down and kept the effort up for 60 minutes. It will be an interesting day to see if anything happens at all.... guess its just wait and see.

Admin

chromiam wrote:
    nice game last night... didn't get down and kept the effort up for 60 minutes. It will be an interesting day to see if anything happens at all.... guess its just wait and see.

Nothing so far !

Plenty of rumors though :roll:

chromiam wrote:

Nothing so far !

Plenty of rumors though :roll:

I honestly think the Flyers are too tight to the cap to do anything of consequence and hence won't do anything. Although I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled a deal for Bouwmeester or Morris...

Admin

Upshall and a pick for Carcillo (spelling) from Phoenix.
    Meh.
    Rygar wrote:
    Meh.

hmmm wonder how much cap space that opens.... don't like losing Upshall and have no idea who Carcillo is lol :shock:

Admin

• jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    chromiam wrote:
    Rygar wrote:
    Meh.

hmmm wonder how much cap space that opens....

Per NHL network .... Upshall's contact is up after this year ($1.2M) Carcillo signed thorugh 2010 at $940k.

not a lot.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    That's it.. one move for the Flyers.. Morris to the Rangers and Bouwmeester stays in FLA... well I have to say I'm not totally surprised but would have liked to keep Upshall.

I'll throw it out there now, but what has Hatcher been up to the last couple of months??? Since he's on the roster, he could be actived (at no cost) for the playoffs.... would that be an upgrade?? who knows... :lol:

Admin

• blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    Rygar wrote:
    Meh.

I just don't see Carcillo helping them at all... Another 3rd line energy guy/fighter? Reminds me of a Bobby Clarke move.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    Kyle Maclaren to Flyers for 6th round pick....

Admin

• petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    Terrible...simply terrible...we give up a ginder for a fucking penalty machine...GREAT JOB HOMER
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
    Here's my thoughts on the Upshall move... it was to open cap space to do something. Since that big deal wasn't apparently achieved, I see Cote being demoted... then Carcillo playing 3rd or 4th line with Jared Ross being brought back into the fold due to his nice play when recently called up.... just my opinion.

Plus with the cap space made, they were able to bring in Maclaren which adds a physical D-man to the mix...

Admin

Definitely a Flyer !!

Dan "The Madman" Carcillo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0WF2AhTj8w

:twisted: :twisted:

chromiam wrote:
    Here's my thoughts on the Upshall move... it was to open cap space to do something. Since that big deal wasn't apparently achieved, I see Cote being demoted... then Carcillo playing 3rd or 4th line with Jared Ross being brought back into the fold due to his nice play when recently called up.... just my opinion.

Plus with the cap space made, they were able to bring in Maclaren which adds a physical D-man to the mix...

I don't get this love affair most fans have with Upshall ?

Not you, but in general

This guy had 14 goals last year he has some skill..put'em on the wing with Briere-Giroux..some nice muscle for those 2 mites on ice

• pretextpretext Posts: 1,294
    chromiam wrote:

I don't get this love affair most fans have with Upshall ?

Not you, but in general

This guy had 14 goals last year he has some skill..put'em on the wing with Briere-Giroux..some nice muscle for those 2 mites on ice

Honestly, I see it as a chemistry issue. Upshall was part of the young gang. Who knows what Carcillo will bring. He did play well last year, and I actually enjoy watching him. But he's pretty much Cote with some offensive ability. I don't really understand why Homer felt the need to make this trade, especially since Upshall's been playing so well of late.

McLaren will probably stay in AHL, 'cause his cap hit ($2.5 mil over the season) is more than they freed up getting rid of upshall. They can bring him up in the playoffs without cap constraints if there's an injury.

Overall, I really wanted them to stand pat today, and they mostly did. I didn't want to see 'em mortgage part of the future for Bouwmeester and then have JBo eat up a shitload of already non-existent cap space. The goalie issue will be dealt with, again, this summer when both guys are UFAs. As I said over in the trade deadline thread, I'd like to see 'em go after Josh Harding, who's pretty much out of Minnesota's picture now that they locked up Backstrom for four more years.
    Steve Downie deliberately slashed an official in the AHL.
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=269889&lid=sublink05&lpos=headlines_main
    Anyone surprised?