Options

The Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread

Comments

• Options
    chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    Flyers to play Bruins at Fenway in Winter Classic on New Year's Day... ashame I probably won't be able to get up there for the game.

Rygar- I agree, Komisarek will get a payday this year, whether it is deserved or not... I just hope the Flyers aren't the team who is overpaying him.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Options
    pretextpretext Posts: 1,294
    http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=21559

*There is a rumor circulating that the Flyers will attempt to package James van Riemsdyk "along with a big ticket player currently on the roster" in an attempt to free up space to sign Komisarek or Jay Bo.

I know he's got a bit on FlyersTV, but beware all things Eklund. The guy's sells absurd rumours for a living, and is a joke in the hockey world.
    That said, it's not like he's going that far out on a limb this time. Briere, Lupul and Gagne's names have been tossed around for awhile. Briere is almost too big to move. Very few teams have the cap space for his contract. Gags has a no-trade, and was one of the best players on the team last year, as he has been every year minus the concussion season. He's a near-PPG guy who plays big minutes on the PK too. You don't get that for $5.25 million in this league. I'm on my knees begging that they ditch Lupul. The guy lollygags about the ice most nights. He's far too talented for 25 goals.

I'm against Bouwmeester for a number of reasons, most prominently that the cost will be too high. The team already has a composed, solid, PROVEN, #1 guy in Timonen. And they're a mobile D group with scoring potential too. They need a bruiser who can clear the crease. That was apparent all last year. Komisarek will be expensive because of the weak D market, but he won't cost Bouwmeester money and other teams might be a little leery of last season's injury problems, and thus drag the cost down a bit. But for my money, I say they get Francois Beauchemin. The guy averaged as many minutes per game on the Ducks' Cup team as Pronger and Niedermayer. He kicks ass and can move the puck. And he won't cost near as much as the others. I was at the Ducks game when he came back after missing most of the season with a knee injury. This guy is solid.

Whatever the case, we'll have plenty to talk about this time next week.
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    lralle wrote:
    http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=21559

*There is a rumor circulating that the Flyers will attempt to package James van Riemsdyk "along with a big ticket player currently on the roster" in an attempt to free up space to sign Komisarek or Jay Bo.

I know he's got a bit on FlyersTV, but beware all things Eklund. The guy's sells absurd rumours for a living, and is a joke in the hockey world.
    I'm against Bouwmeester for a number of reasons, most prominently that the cost will be too high. The team already has a composed, solid, PROVEN, #1 guy in Timonen. And they're a mobile D group with scoring potential too. They need a bruiser who can clear the crease. That was apparent all last year. Komisarek will be expensive because of the weak D market, but he won't cost Bouwmeester money and other teams might be a little leery of last season's injury problems, and thus drag the cost down a bit. But for my money, I say they get Francois Beauchemin. The guy averaged as many minutes per game on the Ducks' Cup team as Pronger and Niedermayer. He kicks ass and can move the puck. And he won't cost near as much as the others. I was at the Ducks game when he came back after missing most of the season with a knee injury. This guy is solid.
    That's quite true, Eklund is a joke.
    Bouwmeester is going to fetch a lot. The early rumours on Komisaurus were in the 6 million range, which is ludicrous. I don't want to lose him but that is way too high. Even above 4 is too high for me, after last season's performance.
  • Options
    WOW. I need to stop doubting Homer. Dumps Lupul back to Anaheim, and picks up fucking Chris Pronger. Believe it or not, that leaves us cap room to re-sign Knuble, potentially. Tough to lose Sbisa, who’s gonna give Anaheim a nice young D corps with Whitney, Wisniewski and that graybeard Niedermayer. But we have good depth at D with Parent, Marshall, Bourdon and Ratchuk.
    Here’s the Hockey’s Future write-up on Ryan Dingle.
    http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/ryan_dingle
    Seems marginal, but who the hell cares anymore? :mrgreen:
  • Options
    lralle wrote:
    WOW. I need to stop doubting Homer. Dumps Lupul back to Anaheim, and picks up fucking Chris Pronger. Believe it or not, that leaves us cap room to re-sign Knuble, potentially. Tough to lose Sbisa, who’s gonna give Anaheim a nice young D corps with Whitney, Wisniewski and that graybeard Niedermayer. But we have good depth at D with Parent, Marshall, Bourdon and Ratchuk.
    Here’s the Hockey’s Future write-up on Ryan Dingle. Seems marginal, but who the hell cares anymore? :mrgreen:
    Makes sense. With Hatcher retired, you needed a replacement to throw elbows at unsuspecting heads.
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    lralle wrote:
    Here’s the Hockey’s Future write-up on Ryan Dingle. Seems marginal, but who the hell cares anymore? :mrgreen:
    Makes sense. With Hatcher retired, you needed a replacement to throw elbows at unsuspecting heads.

No kidding... great place for a douchebag getting closer to mediocrity every year.
  • Options
    Quickly crunched the numbers related to the cap, with help from nhlnumbers.com

10 forwards (Briere, Richie, Gags, Carter, Hartnell, Giroux, Asham, Powe, Cote, Carcillo), six D (Pronger, Timonen, Coburn, Carle, Parent, Jones), and Ray Emery, the cap hit is approximately $52.5 million. With the cap announced today at $56.8, that leaves about $4.3 million to sign Knuble, a face-off grinder guy, and a back-up. Some of those guys at forward could be replaced (Cote vs. Carcillo) with a JVR, Nodl, etc for equal or less money.

Are y'all ready for next season?
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    lralle wrote:

Hatcher's a player development coach now. We'll be crosschecking teams into oblivion for years to come. ;)
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    lralle wrote:

No kidding... great place for a douchebag getting closer to mediocrity every year.

I think we'll take: 82 games, 11 goals, 37 assists - 14th among D, and 26:56 minutes/game - 3rd overall. Pronger's 88 PIMs put him 83rd in the league, tied with Dany Heatley. He's scored more points only four times in his career.
  • Options
    Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    lralle wrote:
    Here’s the Hockey’s Future write-up on Ryan Dingle.
    http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/ryan_dingle
    Seems marginal, but who the hell cares anymore? :mrgreen:

The players they gave up didn't bother me but the extra draft picks I was shocked

He's also an UFA after this coming season I believe

This move is something a team would do if they were a player away from winning it..still too many question marks..but hey maybe Homer isn't done yet
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Options
    pearljimpearljim Posts: 1,306
    Don't like Pronger but I hope he beats the shit out of Crosby for 6 games :)
    If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.
  • Options
    From everything that I have seen since the trade, it looks like the Flyers had to up the ante to get Pronger. He was also being persued by the Caps and Blues. The asking price was too much for the Caps but the Blues apparently had a nice deal together so the Flyers increased their offer... as for losing the drafts picks, if the Flyers perform well this season, the pick will be a late first rounder anyway, losing Sbisa could be something or he could become another Janne Ninimma or Pitkanen... only time will tell.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

• Options
    blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    I don't know if I like that trade for the Flyers... obviously you guys are a better team for 2009-2010 than you were a couple of days ago, but after this year, if Pronger doesn't re-sign (at a decent price and still performs in his mid 30's), you guys gave up a lot of future for a young team to win now.

This kind of trade makes more sense for an aging team with a closing window on winning, but not for a team with a young core like the Flyers... That's a lot of eggs to but in Ray Emery's basket.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    I don't know if I like that trade for the Flyers... obviously you guys are a better team for 2009-2010 than you were a couple of days ago, but after this year, if Pronger doesn't re-sign (at a decent price and still performs in his mid 30's), you guys gave up a lot of future for a young team to win now.

This kind of trade makes more sense for an aging team with a closing window on winning, but not for a team with a young core like the Flyers... That's a lot of eggs to but in Ray Emery's basket.

I see the young core as a good reason for Pronger to resign here plus he will fit into the style of play without any problems and the fans will love him from his first minutes on the ice. He's a great fit for this organization and I can see a 2 or 3 year deal being worked out during the season. And again, about giving up alot of future talent, Lupol was a streaky player (albeit a fairly good one), and Sbisa really hasn't proven anything yet, just showed a huge upside. The picks aren't that big of a loss especially if the team performs well and advances far in the playoffs.

Admin

• Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    nice pickup of pronger.

will you guys get more than 1 season out of him ?

my NYR are in trouble with the arrival of Pronger, and no Colton Orr to keep an eye out on him !

GOOD LUCK

Lets Go Rangers.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    chromiam wrote:

I see the young core as a good reason for Pronger to resign here plus he will fit into the style of play without any problems and the fans will love him from his first minutes on the ice. He's a great fit for this organization and I can see a 2 or 3 year deal being worked out during the season. And again, about giving up alot of future talent, Lupol was a streaky player (albeit a fairly good one), and Sbisa really hasn't proven anything yet, just showed a huge upside. The picks aren't that big of a loss especially if the team performs well and advances far in the playoffs.

Yeah... I guess my problem with it, is if they can extend him at a decent price... I doubt Holmgren would make that deal without knowing the possibility of re-signing him, but if he walks after this year, then the deal sets the franchise back a bit with basically losing 3 consecutive first round picks.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Knuble to the Caps

Laperriere signed 3yrs

Boucher is back

Nothing exciting...I liked Knuble but he was slow and turnover prone in our end of the ice..good PP guy though

• Options
    Knuble to the Caps

Laperriere signed 3yrs

Boucher is back

Nothing exciting...I liked Knuble but he was slow and turnover prone in our end of the ice..good PP guy though

I actually LOVE Ian Laperierre. He's the fourth line vet they've needed. Great guy too. Tough, but not incredibly stupid <cough>Carcillo<cough>. Plays well in his own end, and can pop in a few goals. I think he'll take Knuble's place in the room too. I imagine either Cote or Carcillo, likely the former, will wind up with the Phantoms.

As for replacing Knuble/Lupul offence, I think we'll be fine with Giroux coming along, Pronger on the back end, and Briere playing full-time (god willing).

I like the mental make-up of the team right now.

Bouch has been a pretty good back-up the last couple years. I worry what happens if (when?) Emery tanks though. I understand Homer was in a tough spot on this one.

Not being in Philly, I don't know, but I read that Flyerdom is going crazy mad over the moves. While losing Knuble is really hard, we weren't re-signing him for what he made last year (as the Caps pretty much did). There wasn't room. The deals aren't Flashy, other than Pronger, of course, but Homer's filling the holes just fine.
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,810
    Does anyone know the details of how and when tix go onsale for the Winter Classic at Fenway? There's no way I'm missing this.
  • Options
    Does anyone know the details of how and when tix go onsale for the Winter Classic at Fenway? There's no way I'm missing this.

I have nothing to base this on but my best guess would be that Bruins and Flyers season ticket holders would get a crack at them before they go on sale to the general public... also Red Sox fan club members could also possibly have a go at it before a GP on sale.

FAQ from Blackhawks http://blackhawks.nhl.com/tickets/winterclassicfaq.htm
    They also had a public drawing for tickets much like the Phils did for opening and ring ceremony games.

Admin

• Options
    chromiam wrote:

I have nothing to base this on but my best guess would be that Bruins and Flyers season ticket holders would get a crack at them before they go on sale to the general public... also Red Sox fan club members could also possibly have a go at it before a GP on sale.

FAQ from Blackhawks http://blackhawks.nhl.com/tickets/winterclassicfaq.htm
    They also had a public drawing for tickets much like the Phils did for opening and ring ceremony games.

Well, that fucking sucks. Some ticketbroker site is selling them already at $350 a pop. Oh, well. Looks like it's a Jamaica all-inclusive instead.
  • Options
  • Options

Indeed. Long term, but good on the cap. I'd like the season to start now. Waiting for video of Trial on the Isle isn't quite doing it for me.
  • Options
    Seven years for Captain Elbow? Guess he's sick of moving.
  • Options

• Options
    Rygar wrote:

Nah. He's gonna be "moving" that Gomez-Gionta-Cammalleri Smurf line all over the ice. :D
  • Options
    lralle wrote:
    Rygar wrote:

Nah. He's gonna be "moving" that Gomez-Gionta-Cammalleri Smurf line all over the ice. :D
    Only if he executes his favorite plan of attack and they don't see him coming ;)
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Flyers Likely Will Be $aved From Their Own Stupidity

IT'S mind-boggling that neither general manager Paul Holmgren nor the alleged cap expert within the Flyers organization -- whomever that isn't -- understood that the seven-year Chris Pronger extension that begins in 2010-11 would be treated as an over-35 contract, applicable against the cap under essentially all circumstances as defined by the current Collective Bargaining Agreement.

And yet, Philadelphia likely will never suffer the consequences for the massive blunder in which management agreed to pay $33.4 million of the total $34.9 million within the first five years of the extension. And thus would be on the hook for a $4.921 million cap hit in 2015-16 and 2016-17, even with the defenseman in expected retirement.

The Flyers will not take the hit because the CBA will be long extinct by that time, with another round of rollbacks and amnesty buyouts expected to bridge the gap between the current labor agreement and whatever comes next.

There are no guarantees, of course, but no one knows the fate of contracts that run beyond 2011-12, which is when the CBA will expire once the NHLPA exercises its pro-forma option to extend the deal through that season.

It would, however, be a shock if the league doesn't recalibrate as part of a battle that's certain to include a laundry list of givebacks from the union intended to shrink the cap. Indeed, several general managers have told Slap Shots they believe a rollback of up to 15 percent plus a round of amnesty buyouts will be necessary at the end of next season in order to accommodate a decrease in the 2010-11 cap that is expected to be meaningful.

For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Flyers Likely Will Be $aved From Their Own Stupidity

IT'S mind-boggling that neither general manager Paul Holmgren nor the alleged cap expert within the Flyers organization -- whomever that isn't -- understood that the seven-year Chris Pronger extension that begins in 2010-11 would be treated as an over-35 contract, applicable against the cap under essentially all circumstances as defined by the current Collective Bargaining Agreement.

And yet, Philadelphia likely will never suffer the consequences for the massive blunder in which management agreed to pay $33.4 million of the total $34.9 million within the first five years of the extension. And thus would be on the hook for a $4.921 million cap hit in 2015-16 and 2016-17, even with the defenseman in expected retirement.

The Flyers will not take the hit because the CBA will be long extinct by that time, with another round of rollbacks and amnesty buyouts expected to bridge the gap between the current labor agreement and whatever comes next.

There are no guarantees, of course, but no one knows the fate of contracts that run beyond 2011-12, which is when the CBA will expire once the NHLPA exercises its pro-forma option to extend the deal through that season.

It would, however, be a shock if the league doesn't recalibrate as part of a battle that's certain to include a laundry list of givebacks from the union intended to shrink the cap. Indeed, several general managers have told Slap Shots they believe a rollback of up to 15 percent plus a round of amnesty buyouts will be necessary at the end of next season in order to accommodate a decrease in the 2010-11 cap that is expected to be meaningful.

Larry Brooks is a douche, and I typically pay him as much mind as I do Stan Fischler, but I would like the Pronger contract to work out this way.

On a related note, here's an thought about luxury tax and the cap (via PuckDaddy): http://cyclelikesedins.blogspot.com/200 ... y-tax.html
  • Options
    Well its official Flyers/Bruins in the Winter Classic

Admin