Options

The Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread

Comments

• Options
    Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Busy day today

Flyers at 3pm - Phillies at 7pm mixed in all of it the NFL Draft !

I just read Lauren Hart will not be there today to sing...first time in 8 years

:(
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Options
    pretextpretext Posts: 1,294
    I just read Lauren Hart will not be there today to sing...first time in 8 years

:(

Like she couldn't have gone to get her adopted Ethiopan child AFTER the playoffs. ;)

I'm getting antsy waiting for the game.
  • Options
    That was beautiful...

I don't know which is better, winning 6-0 to eliminate you or overcoming a 3-0 deficit when everyone had already penciled in a game 7.

Regardless, I certainly don't mind this becoming an annual event.
  • Options
    Typical pathetic Ice Chicken fans

You don't post in a thread for a year and then you weasels come out when you win..suddenly the penguins thread shows up :roll: :roll:

I shouldn't be surprised after all the team was a hair away from being relocated because of the bandwagon fans there

What a sad group of fans

• Options

You don't post in a thread for a year and then you weasels come out when you win..suddenly the penguins thread shows up :roll: :roll:

I shouldn't be surprised after all the team was a hair away from being relocated because of the bandwagon fans there

What a sad group of fans

Haha... wow, that response was just as predictable as the outcome of the series. It's obvious that the Pens don't have the same support on this particular forum as other teams. I personally don't feel it's my duty to keep the Pearl Jam fans of the world up on the Pens and so I hardly ever post about them. There have been plenty of other chances during the last few weeks to praise the Pens and/or bash the Flyers, but I didn't feel it was necessary to take the time to do it.

And I totally commend the Flyer and Ranger fans that post daily about their teams and having the time and dedication to do it. I just don't hardly post about anything, that's all.

And we're sad? All the "Crysby" crap is so old and tired. You guys would kill to have a captain that showed up to play in the playoffs. I'd be way more concerned with why Mark Eaton had as many goals as Carter and Richards combined.
  • Options

What a sad group of fans

Haha... wow, that response was just as predictable as the outcome of the series. It's obvious that the Pens don't have the same support on this particular forum as other teams. I personally don't feel it's my duty to keep the Pearl Jam fans of the world up on the Pens and so I hardly ever post about them. There have been plenty of other chances during the last few weeks to praise the Pens and/or bash the Flyers, but I didn't feel it was necessary to take the time to do it.

And I totally commend the Flyer and Ranger fans that post daily about their teams and having the time and dedication to do it. I just don't hardly post about anything, that's all.

And we're sad? All the "Crysby" crap is so old and tired. You guys would kill to have a captain that showed up to play in the playoffs. I'd be way more concerned with why Mark Eaton had as many goals as Carter and Richards combined.

The response is predictable because its the truth ! It happens every year with Ice Chicken fans

Death-Taxes-Bandwagon Ice Chicken fans

Of course you didnt feel need to post all year because they were in 10th place in the Conference..but as soon as they win a round of the playoffs you're here pumping your fist and talking shit

You act like the Crysby thing is only in Philadelphia..pay attention to other cities when he plays...that booing you hear its not because they like you :) He's not respected in Hockey

I'd rather have a captain that plays both sides of the ice PK/PP..they didn't lose because of Richards

Carter definitely should have had more goals in thise series..Briere also if they were going to win

Carter buries that 3rd Goal in Game 2 we have a different series

It doesn't matter once the Ice Chickens lose all the sad bandwagon fans go into hiding until they win a playoff round next year

• Options
    chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    That was the season in a nutshell right there.... nice start, get lazy and not bear down, and then have to try and claw back into the game and not have the drive to even it up..... there will be changes in the offseason and there should be but I'm not sure what changes or how much is necessary.

Coburn and Kimmo need some help, Ryan Parent will be good but we need 5 quality d-men
    Knuble will be back as long as he is willing to take a pay cut
    I wouldn't mind seeing Marty back but the price has to be right, just because I don't see any "shutdown" goalies out there
    I think Nitty is gone.. cost too high
    and maybe some trades in the wings.... but this cannot happen again.

And as much as I hate to say it, maybe this team's inconsistency is a reflection of their captain... Richards is still young and maybe those lapses during a game and season are a bit of his maturing process... but with 20 guys in that locker room it should never be a team wide occurrence....
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Options
    blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    The response is predictable because its the truth ! It happens every year with Ice Chicken fans

Death-Taxes-Bandwagon Ice Chicken fans

Of course you didnt feel need to post all year because they were in 10th place in the Conference..but as soon as they win a round of the playoffs you're here pumping your fist and talking shit

You act like the Crysby thing is only in Philadelphia..pay attention to other cities when he plays...that booing you hear its not because they like you :) He's not respected in Hockey

I'd rather have a captain that plays both sides of the ice PK/PP..they didn't lose because of Richards

Carter definitely should have had more goals in thise series..Briere also if they were going to win

Carter buries that 3rd Goal in Game 2 we have a different series

It doesn't matter once the Ice Chickens lose all the sad bandwagon fans go into hiding until they win a playoff round next year

I get why Philly fans hate crosby... the whining in the early years, the fact that the league shoved him down everyone's throats, etc., but what I don't get is the "crosby sucks" chant... In his career he has 61 points in 37 games against the flyers (30 of those in 18 games in Philly). I'd understand the mocking-type chants that a lot of team's fans do towards visiting goalies (MAAAAAARRRRRTTTTYYYYYY), but saying someone sucks for like 20 minutes of the game when clearly he doesn't (and isn't phased by it), makes me question the intelligence of the the flyers fans.

And please give the bandwagon line a rest... Then pens had one BAD attendance season in the last 20 years... in 2003-04, freaking Dick Tarnstrom the was leading scorer on a team that won 23 games, and they still got almost 12,000 fans a night in a that's city like 1/3 of the size of Philly.

The Flyers have a good young team, with some outstanding players... Adding a couple pieces, they will be an elite team. The Flyers/Pens rivalry will be good for many years to come.

I just don't think that John Stevens is the type of coach that a young/talented team needs to get them focused every night. He seems too emotionless to be able to motivate those players.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    chromiam wrote:
    That was the season in a nutshell right there.... nice start, get lazy and not bear down, and then have to try and claw back into the game and not have the drive to even it up..... there will be changes in the offseason and there should be but I'm not sure what changes or how much is necessary.

Coburn and Kimmo need some help, Ryan Parent will be good but we need 5 quality d-men
    Knuble will be back as long as he is willing to take a pay cut
    I wouldn't mind seeing Marty back but the price has to be right, just because I don't see any "shutdown" goalies out there
    I think Nitty is gone.. cost too high
    and maybe some trades in the wings.... but this cannot happen again.

And as much as I hate to say it, maybe this team's inconsistency is a reflection of their captain... Richards is still young and maybe those lapses during a game and season are a bit of his maturing process... but with 20 guys in that locker room it should never be a team wide occurrence....

I agree...a few tweaks here and there nothing drastic

I assume Hatcher comes off the books now ? They have such little wiggle room under the cap its so hard to do anything

Now with Giroux emerging he'll be coming up for a nice pay raise

I wonder if they will dangle JVR out there in a possible trade ?

I think the way the team has played reflects the youth of the team...I think they think every year they will make the playoffs and eventually win a Cup..sorry to say it doesnt work that way they have to work harder..maybe they do need a tougher/older coach to distill more discipline in them and make them more accountable when they sleep walk in games

It will be interesting to see what happens

• Options

I agree...a few tweaks here and there nothing drastic

I assume Hatcher comes off the books now ? They have such little wiggle room under the cap its so hard to do anything

Now with Giroux emerging he'll be coming up for a nice pay raise

I wonder if they will dangle JVR out there in a possible trade ?

I think the way the team has played reflects the youth of the team...I think they think every year they will make the playoffs and eventually win a Cup..sorry to say it doesnt work that way they have to work harder..maybe they do need a tougher/older coach to distill more discipline in them and make them more accountable when they sleep walk in games

It will be interesting to see what happens

Hatcher had been off the books all season being on LTIR meaning he was paid but didn't count against the cap. I can see him being an assistant (on ice, not necessarily behind the bench).

Giroux isn't much of a problem since he is a restricted FA after the 10/11 season, but will probably get a raise shortly before that.

I see JVR getting a chance with the Phantoms next year to prove he can play and warrant a late or mid season callup... I think the Flyers are too high on him to just trade him away, especially since his cost isn't that high.

The scary part is only 11 forwards, 6 D-men (7 counting Sbisa) and no goalies signed for next season.... cost almost $54 million BTW that includes $3.5 to Mike Rathje :lol:
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

• Options
    Hey I just saw on the NHL Network that the Phantoms are moving to Glen Falls, NY. Was that in the works or out of the blue?
  • Options
    Hey I just saw on the NHL Network that the Phantoms are moving to Glen Falls, NY. Was that in the works or out of the blue?

Ever since they announced the Spectrum was being imploded they have been in the work on relocating the Phantoms

I thought I heard Western Pa at first but its possible its NY...I haven't followed it that closely

• Options
    Not surprised..
    http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/Ric ... riday.html

Thought Richie had something wrong with him towards the end of the season and playoffs, now its just confirmed.

Admin

• Options
    chromiam wrote:
    Not surprised..
    http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/Ric ... riday.html

Thought Richie had something wrong with him towards the end of the season and playoffs, now its just confirmed.

Yeah..I just read that

You could tell he was a little off..still threw some mean body checks !

Whats the rest of the teams excuse ?? :roll:

• Options
    Only the Flyers Organ-I-zation would send an e-mail to fans telling you a player made the top 5 dirtiest players in the league !!

:lol:
    In the current issue of Sports Illustrated, which hits newsstands today, Flyers forward Scott Hartnell was named as one of the top five "dirtiest players" in the NHL in a poll of 324 players. Hartnell came in fifth on the list behind, in order, Chris Pronger, Steve Ott, Jarkko Ruutu and Steve Avery.

Hartnell was reached for comment while driving across Canada yesterday, and responded with his typical humor.

“I will take it. I guess any press is good press," he said. "If the players are talking about me, I think that’s a good thing.”

Hartnell, who totaled 143 penalty minutes this season, added he doesn't really consider himself that dirty of a player.

"I play the game hard. I think I play it fair. But I guess maybe after the whistles and stuff, that’s where I might get a bad name.”

As for taking over the top spot in the future?

“I don’t know if my coaches would like me for going for #1. I think a couple of these guys are going to be disliked for a long time," he said. "I will just keep chirping and getting in players faces."

http://flyers.nhl.com/team/app/?service ... e&id=18891

• Options
    :o:o :shock:

http://www.spectorshockey.net/index.php ... &Itemid=55

COURIER-POST ONLINE: Chuck Gormley recently reported a rumor that has the Flyers trading either Daniel Briere or Joffrey Lupul and a top prospect (either James VanRiemdyk, Luca Sbisa or a 2009 first round pick) to the Montreal Canadiens for goaltender Carey Price and the rights to impending UFA blueliner Mike Komisarek. Another has the Flyers peddling a similar package to Vancouver for goalie Roberto Luongo and the rights to Mattias Ohlund although the Canucks are pushing hard for Jeff Carter."

• Options
    I'm assuming this is the Emery signing

http://flyers.nhl.com/team/app/?service ... eid=425162

Not sure how this helps us

• Options
    pretextpretext Posts: 1,294
    I'm assuming this is the Emery signing

http://flyers.nhl.com/team/app/?service ... eid=425162

Not sure how this helps us

I'm really hoping it involves trading lupul and freeing up some money to go after Josh Harding. The hockey world has some reports that Flyers are in the running to trade for the RFA with Minny.

There are so many things wrong with the emery idea, but I'm way too tired and agitated to get even more irritable.
  • Options
    Done Deal for Emery

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/hom ... _deal.html

Emery eager for ‘fresh start’ with Flyers
    Philadelphia Daily News

Daily News Staff Report

The Flyers announced they have agreed to terms on a 1-year contract with goalie Ray Emery. The deal is believed to be worth $1.5 million.

Before Emery could even make an opening statement during a morning news conference at the Flyers' practice site, he was asked about his history.

Emery was bought out of his last contract with the Ottawa Senators after off-ice problems caused a rift with the team. He was the goalie when the Senators went to the Stanley Cup finals in 2007. Emery played in Russia last season and said he was looking for a "fresh start" and realized this could be his "last chance" in the NHL.

"I really aprpeciate the opportunity being given to me," Emery said. "I lost that once before and have that in the back of mind . . . I'm not saying I'm not going to be a fiery guy. I love playing hockey . . . I'm not going to do anything to jeopardize that opportunity and the people giving it to me."

Both Flyers general manager Ray Holmgren and Comcast-Spectacor CEO Peter Luukko said they had spent a lot of time with Emery and his support team, and talking to many people for their opinions.

"Ray's a pro and we're a professional organizational," Luukko said. "Where there is perceived risk, in business, a lot of times there is a great opportunity for the organization and for Ray.

"We spent a lot of time with Ray; Ed Snider, myself, our guys have followed him. He has had a great career. He had a bump in the road, that bump in the road is a great opportunity for the Flyers and for Ray."

Over parts of five seasons in the National Hockey League with the Ottawa Senators (2002-03 to 2007-08), Emery compiled a 71-40-14 record, 2.71 GAA, .907 save percentage and eight shutouts over 134 career regular season games. He has also posted an 18-12 record and a 2.46 GAA in 30 career Stanley Cup playoff games, including going 13-7 with a 2.26 GAA and three shutouts to help lead the Senators to the Stanley Cup final in 2007.

"For the most part I had a great time in Ottawa," Emery said. "For the last year, things took a turn for the worse. A lot of the things I wish I could have changed about the last year there.

"That being said, I can definitly say I've learned form the bad experiences, maybe more than the good times. I realize I had a great thing there and lost a lot of people that I enjoyed hanging out with on a daily basis. I want to get back to having those good relationships and enjoying my workplace and the sport.

"It's a great position to have, a great job to be in. That's the reoasn I'm going to change because I realize the good things far outweigh the mistakes I made the last year there."

Emery appeared in 36 regular-season games with Atlant Mytischi, of the Kontinental Hockey League in 2008-09, where he posted a 22-8-0 record with a 2.12 goals-against average and .926 save percentage. He also registered a 3-3 record with a 1.86 GAA and .941 save percentage in seven postseason appearances.

"Russia was a better experience than I thought it was going to be," Emery said. "I missed the NHL, a competitive game every night, having that challenge. It was a no-brainer to come back when I had the opportunity."

Holmgren said Emery, 26, would mesh nicely with the Flyers.

"He is still a young guy," Holmgren said. "He is going to fit on our team from an age standpoint, from a competitive standpoint. He is a good fit for our team. We're really excited about this opportunity, not only for Ray but for the Flyers."

• Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    :o:o :shock:

http://www.spectorshockey.net/index.php ... &Itemid=55

COURIER-POST ONLINE: Chuck Gormley recently reported a rumor that has the Flyers trading either Daniel Briere or Joffrey Lupul and a top prospect (either James VanRiemdyk, Luca Sbisa or a 2009 first round pick) to the Montreal Canadiens for goaltender Carey Price and the rights to impending UFA blueliner Mike Komisarek. Another has the Flyers peddling a similar package to Vancouver for goalie Roberto Luongo and the rights to Mattias Ohlund although the Canucks are pushing hard for Jeff Carter."
    BAHAHAHAHAHA!
  • Options
    So...if goaltending wasn't enough of a problem last year let's go into this season with a Project !

:shock:

• Options
    So...if goaltending wasn't enough of a problem last year let's go into this season with a Project !

:shock:

I'll deal with Emery if he gives you what Biron has for the last two seasons as long as the Flyers sign a top tier defenseman.... if not, then this signing might be another black eye for Homer and his managing of the salary cap.

Admin

• Options
    http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=21559

*There is a rumor circulating that the Flyers will attempt to package James van Riemsdyk "along with a big ticket player currently on the roster" in an attempt to free up space to sign Komisarek or Jay Bo.

• Options

*There is a rumor circulating that the Flyers will attempt to package James van Riemsdyk "along with a big ticket player currently on the roster" in an attempt to free up space to sign Komisarek or Jay Bo.

read Simon Gagne....

I can see doing a trade and sign deal (like with Kimmo) for Jay Bo but not for Komisarek... and I'm not suprised by the JVR trade rumors. The Flyers (and other scouts) have soured (or at least downgraded him) on him with his poor showings the last year or so in college and major tourneys.

Admin

• Options
    Bahston here we come !

http://www3.allaroundphilly.com/blogs/d ... /blog.html

Daily Times beat writer Anthony J. SanFilippo takes you inside the locker rooms of the Philadelphia Flyers and the rest of the NHL.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009
    FLYERS TO INVADE FENWAY
    Yes there has been a lot of speculation recently that the Flyers could be playing in the upcoming 2010 Winter Classic at Fenway Park against the Bruins.

I made a couple phone calls and exchanged a couple emails and I can now confirm that speculation is true.

The Flyers will square off with the Bruins on January 1, 2010 at Fenway Park.

It's an interesting story how it came to be that the Flyers were picked for this event.

The NHL was pushing the Washington Capitals. They wanted to market Alex Ovechkin.

NBC, the network broadcasting the game, said no dice.

They were concerned with the poor ratings the Caps' produced in the playoffs in an opening round series against the New York Rangers - the No. 1 U.S. market for the NHL.

So, they told the NHL to skip Washington and give them the Flyers... a more certain brand to market.

The NHL was stubborn for a while... mostly because the Flyers were more interested in a Jan. 1 date with Pittsburgh than Boston.

However, the NHL assured the Flyers that a future Flyers-Penguins outdoor game could still happen in a couple years.

The Flyers were satisfied and agreed to play.

The NHL then confirmed for NBC that the Flyers would in fact play.

No official announcement has come from the league or the Flyers, but sources have confirmed to me that this is the case.

Look for more in tomorrow's Daily Times.

• Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,778
    Bahston here we come !

Daily Times beat writer Anthony J. SanFilippo takes you inside the locker rooms of the Philadelphia Flyers and the rest of the NHL.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009
    FLYERS TO INVADE FENWAY
    Yes there has been a lot of speculation recently that the Flyers could be playing in the upcoming 2010 Winter Classic at Fenway Park against the Bruins.

I made a couple phone calls and exchanged a couple emails and I can now confirm that speculation is true.

It's an interesting story how it came to be that the Flyers were picked for this event.

The NHL was pushing the Washington Capitals. They wanted to market Alex Ovechkin.

They were concerned with the poor ratings the Caps' produced in the playoffs in an opening round series against the New York Rangers - the No. 1 U.S. market for the NHL.

So, they told the NHL to skip Washington and give them the Flyers... a more certain brand to market.

The NHL was stubborn for a while... mostly because the Flyers were more interested in a Jan. 1 date with Pittsburgh than Boston.

However, the NHL assured the Flyers that a future Flyers-Penguins outdoor game could still happen in a couple years.

No official announcement has come from the league or the Flyers, but sources have confirmed to me that this is the case.

I will be there with bells on.
  • Options
    blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    Bahston here we come !

Tuesday, June 23, 2009
    FLYERS TO INVADE FENWAY

hmmm... good for the Flyers and their fans.

But I am surprised that the league passed up the opportunity to get Ovechkin on that stage... I guess Philly has more dependable ratings.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Bahston here we come !

Tuesday, June 23, 2009
    FLYERS TO INVADE FENWAY

I will be there with bells on.

Cool...you'll be easy to find then !

:)

• Options
    Bahston here we come !

Tuesday, June 23, 2009
    FLYERS TO INVADE FENWAY

hmmm... good for the Flyers and their fans.

But I am surprised that the league passed up the opportunity to get Ovechkin on that stage... I guess Philly has more dependable ratings.

Yeah...the flyers have a better fan base

I think they would have good ratings with either the Rangers or Flyers in this game

• Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    chromiam wrote:

read Simon Gagne....

I can see doing a trade and sign deal (like with Kimmo) for Jay Bo but not for Komisarek... and I'm not suprised by the JVR trade rumors. The Flyers (and other scouts) have soured (or at least downgraded him) on him with his poor showings the last year or so in college and major tourneys.
    Komisarek is going to get overpaid big time this year. He had a great season 2007-2008 but last year was a wash. I think he played injured most of the season, but still.