Movie Threads?

Comments

• rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    The Three Stooges Movie - extremely funny. We took my three sons to see it over the weekend, we laughed a lot, I had tears I was laughing so hard. I think it was very well done, very respectful to the original stooges and Larry David was hilarious in his role. If you are a fan of the real stooges, I think you will enjoy it.

:lol::lol::lol:

I'm looking forward to it. I think Will Sasso was the only person in the world capable of playing Curly. I can kind of see Sean Hayes, but this Chris Diamantopoulos guy I'm not sure about, as I've never heard of him until now and he looks kind of strange as Moe.

What I took away from it was that although all three of them were basically doing impersonations, they didn't try to make them look like exact clones of the stooges. And all three of them did very good at picking up their mannerisms. And the physical comedy scenes were outstanding, you could tell they did those scenes carefully, great choreography. A lot of great one-liners thrown in too, just like the original series. And the actors that played the stooges as children did a decent job too.

It felt to me like they made this not to rip off the original stooges, but more of a tribute to them.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559

the raid ... http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_raid_redemption/

this movie was pretty awesome ... i mean there are a bunch of holes in the story line but that was secondary to the adrenaline and violence ... despite the limited script - you get to know each of the main characters enough to get sucked in ... not for the squeamish ... :lol:

i hear hollywood is remaking this ... :fp:
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Can't wait for this movie.

DDL-Lincoln_1A_1322691236.jpg
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Leyna MinaiLeyna Minai Posts: 691
    Newch91 wrote:

Yes Yes YES!
    7/15/2011 - Benoroya Hall - (Eddie Vedder Solo) - Seattle, WA
    4/2/2008 - The Center in Vancouver for Performing Arts (Eddie Vedder Solo) - Vancouver, WA
    9/21/2009 Key Arena - Seattle, WA
    7/22/2006 - Gorge Ampitheater - George, WA
    9/1/2005 - Gorge Ampitheater - George, WA
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    Newch91 wrote:

Yes Yes YES!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,793
    polaris_x wrote:

the raid ... http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_raid_redemption/

this movie was pretty awesome ... i mean there are a bunch of holes in the story line but that was secondary to the adrenaline and violence ... despite the limited script - you get to know each of the main characters enough to get sucked in ... not for the squeamish ... :lol:

i hear hollywood is remaking this ... :fp:

Yeah not much of a plot/story line but there were some scenes that were awesome (the door scene was killer)

i also liked the score from the movie. Mike Shinoda of Linkin Park did it. :)
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    Yeah not much of a plot/story line but there were some scenes that were awesome (the door scene was killer)

i also liked the score from the movie. Mike Shinoda of Linkin Park did it. :)

not sure which door scene ... there were lots of scenes in the movie with doors! ... haha ...

yeah - my buddy asked what i thought of the score and i was like ... didn't notice too busy watching brains and blood being spewed ... :lol:
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    The.Descendants..great movie..

i found it disappointing.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • illegal pantsillegal pants Posts: 13,471
    i just saw Matching Jack.

:(

expected outcome, but great acting nevertheless...
    wah
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549

the story touch me.cos was familiar to me..the movie,was ok..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • just watched into the wild, surprisingly good but very sad too! Lots of tears but clearly fab soundtrack ;)
    168dcfb.jpg

the story touch me.cos was familiar to me..the movie,was ok..

your mother cheated on your father and then slipped into a coma after a boating accident??? ;)

i hate schmaltzy movies... whodve thunk it eh?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593

me too...either it was terrible or way over my head :?
    We were but stones your light made us stars

me too...either it was terrible or way over my head :?

well it didnt go over my head. ;) ive just seen george clooney better. i wouldve preferred the wife to have woken up and explain herself and her behaviour. tho i guess it wasntreally about her, was it? i think it was more blah than terrible.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    i liked the descendants ... don't think it was that great of a movie but last year was a very down year for films so i can see how it got a bit inflated with an oscar nom ...

anyways - i thought it was a beautifully told story that was well acted ... particularly the daughter ... it was a story about acceptance and love and how the two are intertwined ...
  • SpagsSpags Posts: 3,027
    Lockout

Action movies often star blokes trained in various martial arts trying to string a sentence together let alone act, so I was intrigued to discover an actor signing on for the type of ridiculous heroics normally reserved for the Van Dammes, Stathams and Stallones. The president's daughter needs saving from a prison full of half crazed Scottish mentalists - in space!!! - and only Guy Pearce is man enough for the job. Wait, what?Playing a special secret operative wrongly accused of something or other, Pearce has bulked up a bit and does look fucking hard in a flak jacket. Better still his character Snow has great personality, fantastic deadpan line delivery and most surprisingly a rather decent script to work with. The majority of his quips are directed towards Maggie Grace's spoilt little princess (does she ever play anything else?) and their relationship helps make up for some of the film's flaws.

The effects are Babylon 5 bad, with the story taking place in the future and mostly in space, which is a shame. Yet at least they are consistently naff so you eventually settle into the 'style'. A bigger problem for me was the lack of action. Snow is a survivor and certainly knows how to escape from life threatening situations chiefly by running away while firing a shotgun over his shoulder. Yes he comes good when it counts, but I was gagging for him to get in a decent fist fight - if Liam Neeson can do it then why not Pearce? Set pieces are snatched from a Mission Impossible movie and a Halo game, both less enjoyable second go around. At times events are presented in a confusing order while obvious outcomes get overly expained to make sure you're keeping up. Hopefully a director's cut is out there somewhere...please...

Thankfully Pearce and Grace are not alone amongst this mess, with Joseph Gilgun putting in a fabulous performance as one of the Scottish nutjobs. All three deserved to be put into an escape pod and blasted into a much better movie. That said it's good fun and I would love to see a sequel as long as Pearce spends some time in a dojo first.
    Nature drunk and High
    I saw this ^^^

awful is being kind ... the plot lines are so idiotic that it makes you wonder what the original story really was before some dufus hollywood producer got his hand on it!?? ... i refuse to believe that someone actually wrote something this bad and it got green-lit but this is hollywood i suppose ...

i like guy pearce and perhaps that is why i give him a passing performance but all in all just bad bad bad ... the only good part of the movie was that cute girl that was helping emily and she wasn't on the screen enough!

my rating
    :corn:
    :fp: :nono: :x
    i watched DRIVE today. loved it.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    Cabin in the Woods.
    Loved it. I thought it was perfect for a rainy sunday in florida.
    semispoiler ---

Wildly original plot, prefaced by a 'normal horror' idea.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    Avengers is crazy good - watch the other Marvel movies before you go see it tho! Hulk brings it hard.
    Nature drunk and High
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,788
    Spags wrote:
    Avengers is crazy good - watch the other Marvel movies before you go see it tho! Hulk brings it hard.

How'd you see it? I got IMAX tix for next Friday. The reviews sound great

New Dark Knight Rises and Spiderman trailers too :)
  • im very anxiously awaiting the Lincoln movie. DDL is just an absolute genius. it will be interesting to see how the movie goes, because while i love spielberg, his films arent known for being extremely well acted affairs with the exception of schindlers list and saving private ryan.

I saw some good ones lately. 13 assassins was great. Finally saw 50/50 and loved it. Saw an early Joseph Gordon levitt and Zooey Dechancel film Manic, liked that. Saw Run Diary, it was a Depp film so of course that was great.

Young Adult was good as well.

Finally saw Take Shelter. That was great. Probably the best of the bunch. Michael Shannon was so subtle, yet says so much with just a look. He is an incredible actor. It was a hell of a performance. I love how the film took time to develop, it was a very very subtle movie.
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    while i love spielberg, his films arent known for being extremely well acted affairs with the exception of schindlers list and saving private ryan.

Don't forget Empire Of The Sun. Everybody was good in that, especially young Christian Bale. I've never seen such a performance out of a little kid, he even held his own against Malkovich.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcStKgwp5-jBKsWnlaksasAfQS2p-pfYAaalnexVwfk9wJ2Wf0CE5gK2twqD
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    while i love spielberg, his films arent known for being extremely well acted affairs with the exception of schindlers list and saving private ryan.

Don't forget Empire Of The Sun. Everybody was good in that, especially young Christian Bale. I've never seen such a performance out of a little kid, he even held his own against Malkovich.

Still need to see that movie.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Anyone heard of the new Jack Black movie "Bernie"? I was on metacritic website and saw that he was featured in it. Saw the trailer on youtube, looked ok.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEs7l6JTAc4
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    Anyone heard of the new Jack Black movie "Bernie"? I was on metacritic website and saw that he was featured in it. Saw the trailer on youtube, looked ok.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEs7l6JTAc4

watching this he looks like Paul Bearer from the WWE :lol:

img_9885_bernie-trailer-official-2012-1080-hd-jack-black-matthew-mcconaughey.jpg
    04.jpg
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • oona leftoona left Posts: 1,677

Thank you. Christian Bale was amazing in that film.

I find a lot of child actors to be tolerable at best (I know, everybody's a critic, and I should be nice because they're "just kids"). But when one of them manages a performance like Bale's, it really makes you appreciate just how rare it is.
  • just watched The Iron Lady with Streep. Not at all what I expected, but a very good film.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    oona left wrote:

Thank you. Christian Bale was amazing in that film.

I find a lot of child actors to be tolerable at best (I know, everybody's a critic, and I should be nice because they're "just kids"). But when one of them manages a performance like Bale's, it really makes you appreciate just how rare it is.

Yeah, I didn't even realize it was Christian Bale until a few years ago. I had seen the movie many times over the years, and then I saw it again a couple of years ago and I was like "this kid is amazing, I wonder if he kept acting". :lol: Then I looked it up to find out that it was in fact Christian Bale. I can see the resemblance now that I know, but I never would have guessed that's who it was.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
    CROJAM95 wrote:
    Spags wrote:

How'd you see it? I got IMAX tix for next Friday. The reviews sound great

New Dark Knight Rises and Spiderman trailers too :)

Out in the UK before the states..for a change. It's done big business in Europe taking more than the other Marvel films combined. Gonna be MASSIVE.
    Nature drunk and High