Movie Threads?

Comments

• djjazzy276djjazzy276 Posts: 228
    intodeep wrote:
    I watched Drive last night and i enjoyed it. The last 45 minutes were awesome :D

Watched Drive last night and am rewatching it to finish absorbing it. This is definitely the best movie I've seen in a long time. The whole thing played like a crazy dream. I woke up this morning and felt like I just dreamt the movie. Having lived in LA for a while, it was crazy to see a film where you hardly see any one else outside of the characters in the film. I know the ladies think Ryan Gosling is a dream boat and it makes me want to not like him, but the guy is good and picks great projects to be a part of. Big fan of his. Looking forward to Gangster Squad.
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Can't wait for "American Reunion" to come out! :D
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,793
    Finally saw John Carter (of Mars) last night. Waaay better than I thought it would be. Judging by the previews I didn't really have any desire to see this, but some of my friends saw it and said it was good.

It was kinda a combination of lots of movies (Star Wars, Avatar, Cowboys & Aliens somewhat). Pretty decent plot and good action scenes. I would recommend it, but looks like it won't be playing in the theater too much longer. I had to drive half hour to the nearest one near me (i didn't care to see it in 3D). Def. check it out when it comes out on Blu-Ray/DVD.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    Caught an early matinee today for 21 Jump Street (using my free Regal card :) ) I had low expectations going into this judging by the previews and despite the mostly positive reviews. However I enjoyed. Good/fun "popcorn" flick. Some very funny moments as well as surprises.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    some movies i've seen recently and a rating out of 10:

john carter: 2 (sorry eeriepadave) ... this movie is awful ... i'm all for fluff but it just was too stupid for my liking

21 jump street: 6 ... enough funny scenes to overcome the awful acting of channing tatum ...

hunger games: 6.5 ... this was better than i expected ... not an easy book to adapt for film ...

chronicle: 5.5 ... love the subtext of this movie but overall it's too disjointed

friends with kids: 6 ... way too cliche ... predictable and the scenes that were funny didn't make me laugh ... and all i kept thinking about in this movie is: women - fuck the plastic surgery ... i mean - if your face gets burnt off due to some horrific accident ... sure ... go for it ... but the botox and nose jobs do not make you more prettier ...
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    If you haven't seen this, do yourself a favor, grab a bottle and enjoy. Its awful but in a great way...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCj8sPCWfUw
    Heisenberg wrote:
    If you haven't seen this, do yourself a favor, grab a bottle and enjoy. Its awful but in a great way...

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=124774&p=2829644&hilit=the+room+movie#p2829644

thought there was a thread with this movie, but alas there is not (should be though). Actually gonna see it again in May when our local independent theater is gonna play it, can't wait!
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    polaris_x wrote:
    friends with kids: 6 ... way too cliche ... predictable and the scenes that were funny didn't make me laugh ... and all i kept thinking about in this movie is: women - fuck the plastic surgery ... i mean - if your face gets burnt off due to some horrific accident ... sure ... go for it ... but the botox and nose jobs do not make you more prettier ...

i saw a film called friends with money... i saw it cause it had joan cusack,jason isaacs, frances mcdormand and catherine keener in it... oh and jennifer aniston, who im not a fan of... i shouldve taken that as a warning. i imagine freinds with kids is on a par with that.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Not sure why i had never seen this before, but actually saw From Dusk Til Dawn for the first time last night :oops: One good thing about seeing it for the first time was I got to see it in a movie theater :) That movie was pretty badass. 8-)

220px-From_dusk_till_dawn_poster.jpg
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Heisenberg wrote:

That film is hilariously bad :lol:

I watched Pirates last night. Really worth checking out. Pretty funny with a great cast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf53kEIFnFg
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Not sure why i had never seen this before, but actually saw From Dusk Til Dawn for the first time last night :oops: One good thing about seeing it for the first time was I got to see it in a movie theater :) That movie was pretty badass. 8-)

Did you know it was going to be about vampires? The first time I saw it (when it first came out on DVD, around 97 or 98) I had no clue that was going to happen. I had seen "Pulp Fiction" and "Reservoir Dogs" and was expecting this to be another Tarantino crime movie, which it pretty much was for the first half of the movie. Then when the vampires starting killing people I was caught off guard, loved it. Kudos to my friend who had already seen it and didn't let on at all that all that shit was about to happen.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"

Did you know it was going to be about vampires? The first time I saw it (when it first came out on DVD, around 97 or 98) I had no clue that was going to happen. I had seen "Pulp Fiction" and "Reservoir Dogs" and was expecting this to be another Tarantino crime movie, which it pretty much was for the first half of the movie. Then when the vampires starting killing people I was caught off guard, loved it. Kudos to my friend who had already seen it and didn't let on at all that all that shit was about to happen.

Yeah I did. I have heard of the movie before but had no idea who was in it and whatnot. The movie theater I saw it in is a local indie theater in Phoenixville, PA called The Colonial (They shot part of the "Blob" there). Anywho every first Friday of the month they have First Friday Fright Night hosted by some friends of mine. This month was From Dusk Til Dawn. Previous movies have been Warrior Friday The 13th Part 1, My Bloddy Valentine and more. They also have previews of upcoming events so a few months before they played it and that was the first time i had seen and known what it was about.

Also every third friday of the month they have "Cult" classics and MST3K (which they rotate) so that's awesome. The next cult classic is "The Room" in May and April is MST3K :D
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • oona leftoona left Posts: 1,677
    I watched "Retreat" with Cillian Murphy and Jamie Bell the other night.

From IMDB: "Kate and Martin escape from personal tragedy to an Island Retreat. Cut off from the outside world, their attempts to recover are shattered when a Man is washed ashore, with news of airborne killer disease that is sweeping through Europe."

I liked it.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    The.Descendants..great movie..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    Bully http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/bully_2012/

It's an important movie to catch - I do think it failed in many aspects, primarily not including the voice of the "Bully". What motivates a bully to bully!?? If we don't answer that question - will it ever stop!? Still, another look at what ultimately is at the crux of many problems - ignorance. Ignorance drives racism, sexism and bullying.

On a side note - it's pretty pathetic of the MPAA to rate this movie an "R" because of a swear word or two. It just goes to show how rampant that ignorance is.
  • polaris_x wrote:
    Bully http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/bully_2012/

It's an important movie to catch - I do think it failed in many aspects, primarily not including the voice of the "Bully". What motivates a bully to bully!?? If we don't answer that question - will it ever stop!? Still, another look at what ultimately is at the crux of many problems - ignorance. Ignorance drives racism, sexism and bullying.

On a side note - it's pretty pathetic of the MPAA to rate this movie an "R" because of a swear word or two. It just goes to show how rampant that ignorance is.

This hasn't been given a UK release date yet but I'll keep my eye out for it.
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    I just got home after watching "The Hunger Games" with my kids. I did enjoy the movie and spent the last 30 minutes or so in tears. Very intense.

Someone mentioned the camera always moving about and I agree, I wish the camera moved much less but I believe its part of the feel of the movie.
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • SpagsSpags Posts: 3,027
    Watched some films this weekend...

The Bridge

This is a documentary exploration of the mythic beauty of the Golden Gate Bridge, the most popular suicide destination in the world, and those drawn by its call.

My wife asked me why I'd want to watch this after I explained the premise, for some reason its been in the back of my mind ever since I caught the trailer at the cinema. Why do more people choose to kill themselves by jumping from the Golden Gate Bridge than anywhere else? What draws them to such a wonderfully iconic landmark? Why do I have such a morbid interest in this documentary? Seeing people falling from the bridge into the water below is initially shocking, but the more footage that is shown, the realisation of how often this happens and the confessional approach taken by eyewitnesses, friends and family soon make it feel, if not normal, then at least a reality. Hearing the background of these poor souls actually reveals more about the people interviewed than the jumpers, and perhaps about the viewer, which is an interesting way to approach the subject, but wasn't really what I was expecting. And if I'm honest I got a little bored, which probably says very bad things about me. While the living told their stories of the dead, I was distracted by thoughts of "who is filming all these people killing themselves, how are they getting this footage, where are they set up and how do they feel about making this documentary". Frustratingly, the people behind the cameras and their methods are never revealed, nor are the stories of the police and coastguard who have to deal with the fallout of this phenomenon. Ultimately it makes for a rather blinkered approach, offers no satisfying conclusions and allows the mystery surrounding the power the bridge has over those who want to end it all to continue.

2/5

The Happening

Now don't start trippin, I'm well aware that this film is universally hated, mocked and ridiculed for pretty logical reasons. It depicts the human race under attack by an invisible enemy that forces sane people to take their own lives, desperate to understand what is actually happening a theory is offered that the planets ecosystem - more specifically it's plant life - could be responsible. It's the sort of hokey plot that you'd expect from a 1950s era Science Fiction film, such as The Invasion Of The Body Snatchers. Instead of Communism, we have our current preocupation with pollution. Viewed as a modern attempt at this classic genre I believe that The Happening was one of the most enjoyable films out in 2008. Mark Wahlberg is superb as the vacant school teacher desperately trying to wrap his head around the unexplainable, while queen of kookiness Zooey Deschanel makes the perfect partner for him. The acting is as joyfully hammy as the script and as amusing to watch as the elaborate suicide scenes. People get too hung up on M Night Shyamalan's intentions, saying he had not set out to make a comedy throwback movie to a more innocent time, but I have nothing but sympathy for them...with the right mindset this truly is a four star film.

4/5

The Artist

For some reason I was expecting this to be a comedy, I blame the dog, instead it's a rather simple melodrama filmed mostly in the silent cinema tradition of the period in which it's set. Recreating that archaic style using modern film equipment is hardly a great achievement, and a few minutes in I was a little doubtful as to whether I wanted to sit through an experience that evolution had cast aside almost a century ago. Yet I was won over first by the excellent leading couple, then the score and finally the directors superb, and obviously crucial, deft use of visual storytelling. I loved Peppy Miller's film titles displayed on cinemas in the background of certain scenes, lending them a playful heading while backing up her emotional state. While the story was rather basic, it had undertones of deeper themes subtley reflecting changes in society as the old ways were forced to step aside. For a film that's message appears to be that to survive we have to adapt, it's ironic that it should be presented in this mode and it's success therefore is a triumph.

4/5
    Nature drunk and High
    Me and a few friends saw two movies tonight. One was Cabin In The Woods which i kinda reviewed in that thread. The other one was a foreign film, but it wasn't your typical foreign film. It was made in Indonesia and was a martial arts/espionage/action movie. Very fast paced bloody and awesome. It's called "The Raid: Redemption". It premiered at the Toronto Film Festival last year and got really good reviews.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkULMOFpuCo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWlmhMSnVdM
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    Watched "Hugo" tonight. Blew me away. I was amazed by the sound effects of the film. Also, it was incredible to see Martin Scorsese recreate parts of the original "A Trip to the Moon" film.

Well done, Marty. Well done. :clap::clap: Once again, you blew me away with one of your movies.
    Watched "Bridesmaids" today. It was really good, well written, and definitely funny. The main cast had great chemistry and Jon Hamm was hilarious in his scenes.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 2,924
    Che Part 1

Got Part 2 on Sky+ and Winter's Bone to watch too.
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
    we bought the zoo..sweet movie..
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    we bought the zoo..sweet movie..
    + the temple of the dogs song+the name..McCready... :mrgreen:
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Um, I watched Bridesmaids last night with my wife and we're still waiting for it to end or begin. To quote Dee Reynolds, "What an awesome disappointment." It went on forever and only had a couple funny moments. How was this movie nominated for anything? Hangover 2 was the movie of the year compared this.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    Eraserhead wrote:
    Che Part 1

Got Part 2 on Sky+ and Winter's Bone to watch too.
    Winter's Bone is great.
    Me and a few friends saw two movies tonight. One was Cabin In The Woods which i kinda reviewed in that thread. The other one was a foreign film, but it wasn't your typical foreign film. It was made in Indonesia and was a martial arts/espionage/action movie. Very fast paced bloody and awesome. It's called "The Raid: Redemption". It premiered at the Toronto Film Festival last year and got really good reviews.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkULMOFpuCo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWlmhMSnVdM

i'm gonna see the raid sometime this week ... :corn:
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    The Three Stooges Movie - extremely funny. We took my three sons to see it over the weekend, we laughed a lot, I had tears I was laughing so hard. I think it was very well done, very respectful to the original stooges and Larry David was hilarious in his role. If you are a fan of the real stooges, I think you will enjoy it.

:lol::lol::lol:
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    The Three Stooges Movie - extremely funny. We took my three sons to see it over the weekend, we laughed a lot, I had tears I was laughing so hard. I think it was very well done, very respectful to the original stooges and Larry David was hilarious in his role. If you are a fan of the real stooges, I think you will enjoy it.

:lol::lol::lol:

I'm looking forward to it. I think Will Sasso was the only person in the world capable of playing Curly. I can kind of see Sean Hayes, but this Chris Diamantopoulos guy I'm not sure about, as I've never heard of him until now and he looks kind of strange as Moe.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"