Movie Threads?

Comments

• EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    Saw Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. The critics in the New York tabloids panned but I thought it was very good, very moving.

Just saw this too...It had a few slow moments but it was pretty deep. First time I've ever been to a movie where the end credits roll & everyone in the theatre just sat there, quiet, motionless. Very stirring movie & it brought back alot of feelings I had for those connected so deeply & irrevocably.
    I'm scared to see this as I feel I will bawl like I did during Seven Pounds. I will probably have to break down and watch it eventually, though. There was a show on the bio channel a few months ago called 'Messages from 9/11' or something similar and I cried during that! So emotional. :roll: Sometimes it's a drag to be that way.
    Heisenberg wrote:
    EmBleve wrote:
    Anyone seen Moneyball? Is it worth watching?

I thought it was very good.
    Thanks. I was going to keep it an extra day but decided not to because I ran out of time.. we watched Mr. Popper's Penguins instead. I was coerced. :lol:
  • i thought moneyball was good. as are all brad pitt films. but even with tree of life getting a oscar nod for best picture, moneyball bugged me because it seemed to get more attention and focus than what i view as the best film of 2011, and one of the most powerful films ever made, which is tree of life. Tree of Life vs moneyball i dont think there is any debate which is the finer film, but if a brad pitt film does win an oscar it will be moneyball not tree of life.

the focus should be on malick and tree of life, not on moneyball.

but i guess a win for brad is a win for brad.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,793
    Anyone see Chronicle yet? I was on the fence about seeing it, but hearing it's getting decent reviews.

I too would like to hear some reviews of this here.

I saw this tonight. It was pretty cool. Most of the film was shot in the first perspective. And the guys had "super power" and were flying at some points. And when they were flying and filming it was kinda cool, but also gave that "nauseous" feeling like in Cloverfield. I felt a little dizzy and hot at those times (kinda like you were gonna throw up). Visual effects were cool and plot and storyline was ok.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • I have netflix streaming... and give me the benefit of the doubt.. I will try anything.
    I watched the first half of TROLL HUNTER. its was ok. kinda interesting if you have nothing better to do. Its similar to Blair Witch (which I Hated!), but its in the woods in Norway somewhere and people are trying ot figure out whats killing their cattle and whatnot...anyways, I really liked it, but its strange, thats for sure.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • I have netflix streaming... and give me the benefit of the doubt.. I will try anything.
    I watched the first half of TROLL HUNTER. its was ok. kinda interesting if you have nothing better to do. Its similar to Blair Witch (which I Hated!), but its in the woods in Norway somewhere and people are trying ot figure out whats killing their cattle and whatnot...anyways, I really liked it, but its strange, thats for sure.

saw the rest of this, and loved it:
    trailer--
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy2nAOdBUlw
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    "The Whistleblower"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al3anBiHwmI

This one kinda jumps around a bit and the pacing is kinda off at times, but overall I thought it was good. Although the fact that it is based on true events will thoroughly disgust and anger you.
  • Wanderlust! :D
    This movie was great! The funniest movie I have seen in a long time.
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Watched "National Lampoon's Vacation" for the first time yesterday.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Watched Excalibur ....just an epic film , never get tired of watching it.
  • come on tree of life for the win!
  • Wanderlust! :D
    This movie was great! The funniest movie I have seen in a long time.

It got mixed reviews in the papers, but I like Paul Rudd for the most part.

I finally saw the Descendants last week and enjoyed it immensely, so that's three of the 10 best picture nominees that I've seen.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    Newch91 wrote:

say what now?

NATIONAL_LAMPOONS_VACATION-1.jpg
    rival. wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

say what now?

Yes, you read that right. I know, I know...I'm shocked also.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    My picks for tonight:

Best Picture: The Artist (tough for me to choose between this and “Hugo”; this holds slight edge)

Best Actor: George Clooney, “The Descendants”

Best Actress: Viola Davis, “The Help”

Best Supporting Actor: Christopher Plummer, “Beginners”

Best Supporting Actress: Octavia Spencer, “The Help”

Best Director: Martin Scorsese, “Hugo”

Best Original Screenplay: Woody Allen, “Midnight in Paris”

Best Adapted Screenplay: John Logan, “Hugo”

Best Animated Film: Puss in Boots

Best Foreign Language Film: Monsieur Lazhar

Best Cinematography: Robert Richardson, “Hugo”

Best Editing: Thelma Schoonmaker, “Hugo”

Best Art Direction: Dante Ferretti and Francesca Lo Schiavo, “Hugo”

Best Costume Design: Sandy Powell, “Hugo”

Best Makeup: Mark Coulier and J. Roy Helland, “The Iron Lady”

Best Original Score: Ludovic Bource, “The Artist”

Best Original Song: Bret McKenzie (“Man or Muppet”), “The Muppets”

Best Sound Mixing: “Transformers: Dark of the Moon”

Best Sound Editing: “Transformers: Dark of the Moon”

Best Visual Effects: “Hugo”

Best Documentary: “Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory”

Best Documentary, Short: “The Barber of Birmingham: Foot Soldier of the Civil Rights Movement”

Best Animated Short: “A Morning Stroll”

Best Short Film: “Time Freak”
  • awilkinsawilkins Posts: 984
    How are there only 2 songs nominated for the Oscars?
    awilkins wrote:
    How are there only 2 songs nominated for the Oscars?
    I don't know. That's really lame.
  • i havent seen viola davis, and should obviously in the help. But i dont really understand how meryl streep is the underdog. Meryl streep is one of the best actors ever, may be the greatest female actress ever. I want to see Viola Davis's performance, but how in the world could someone like Streep be considered an underdog?
    I saw the iron lady and felt streeps performance was one of the best performances of the ravages of alzheimers and old age ive probably ever seen
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,793
    Best movie ever? Movie: The Movie :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 3NwB9PLxss
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • watched "The Way Back" last night. Great movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87kezJTpyMI
    Newch91 wrote:
    rival. wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

say what now?

Yes, you read that right. I know, I know...I'm shocked also.
    For the very longest time, I thought that was the funniest movie I had ever seen!
  • I recently just watched the movie Take Shelter with Michael Shannon. It was really good, somewhat of a psychological thriller but not too much thrill in it. I enjoyed it! Has anyone else seen it?
    7/15/2011 - Benoroya Hall - (Eddie Vedder Solo) - Seattle, WA
    4/2/2008 - The Center in Vancouver for Performing Arts (Eddie Vedder Solo) - Vancouver, WA
    9/21/2009 Key Arena - Seattle, WA
    7/22/2006 - Gorge Ampitheater - George, WA
    9/1/2005 - Gorge Ampitheater - George, WA
    This past weekend I watched the documentary about Bill Clinton that was on PBS.
    Watched "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington". Wow! What a fantastic movie! First time I watched it. Easily became one of my all time favorite movies. I can't believe James Stewart did not win the Academy Award for his performance.
  • oona leftoona left Posts: 1,677
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Saw "I melt with you" last night....fucking wow. This got some horrific reviews but I liked it. Unrealistic, yes but also great, I think at least.

just read about it...sounds pretty cool

Yeah, it is a pretty crazy movie. LIke I said in the Phillies thread, it is going to be love it or hate it. I was on the edge of my seat/couch the entire second half of the movie, and fucking loved it. I read one review of a person who loved it and was one of their favorite movies, then read another where they said it was the worst movie they have ever seen. No matter what, it is an intense movie and I highly recommend it.

I watched this last night. "Fucking wow" is right.

I really, really liked this film. It was an emotional jolt stronger than anything I had expected.
  • Watched J Edgar a few nights ago- What a disappointment that was. I looked forward to that movie for like a year. It should have been brilliant.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
    Watched "American Graffiti" for the first time last night. Great movie. Toad was cracking me up, starting with him and his scooter right in the beginning.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    Watched J Edgar a few nights ago- What a disappointment that was. I looked forward to that movie for like a year. It should have been brilliant.
    saw last night...seems nothing special
    di caprio wass brilliant tho..

and saw Moneyball too...was good..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • runchaserrunchaser Posts: 112
    Watched Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy , was good but not a patch on the tv series.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I saw Wanderlust. It was pretty disapointing. I'd avoid it if you haven't seen it.

you've been warned :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22