Movie Threads?

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    intodeep wrote:
    im hanging for j.edgar.mightve come our here yesterday im not sure. im a huge fan of leo and clint eastwood is one of the great directors.
    Let us know how it is.

I too am a fan of both but i've shyed away from it so far.

i shall... but why shy away from it???
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Rented: Apollo 18

Received: The Real Ghostbusters (Animated Series) Vol. 1 Disc 4

Thanks a lot Netflix!!!

I'm not too upset, I wasn't overly excited about Apollo 18, probably just be another lame Found Footage movie, and it was down on my queue, but the top movies are new releases and I guess out of stock so they sent me (or were supposed to send me) Apollo 18. The Real Ghostbusters is not on my queue.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • oona leftoona left Posts: 1,677
    Finally saw "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo." Holy shit.

I love David Fincher.

The score reminded me of the Kronos Quartet's score for "Requiem for a Dream." Of course, Reznor's work on "Social Network" was reminiscent of "Primer," and he ended up winning the Oscar for it. So I guess that's working for him!
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    intodeep wrote:
    im hanging for j.edgar.mightve come our here yesterday im not sure. im a huge fan of leo and clint eastwood is one of the great directors.
    Let us know how it is.

I too am a fan of both but i've shyed away from it so far.

i shall... but why shy away from it???
    I did not want to say anything because i'd hate to be a bad influence ... the reveiws have not been glowing for it, but critics aren't always right. That is why i was excited to hear from someone who actually sees it.

I also caught girl with the dragon Tattoo yesterday and I enjoyed it. Nothing special, but it was fun and I hope they make the next book into a movie too. Good acting by Craig and the girl that plays the girl with the dragon tattoo
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    girl with the dragon tattoo - hollywood version

first off ... rooney mara ... purrrrrrrrrr ... haha ... i'm not normally into piercings and stuff but damm ... they were supposed to make her NOT HOT ... :lol:

anyways - i didn't read any of the books so, this opinion is not from a fan of the books ... when i watched the original swedish version - i found it hard to follow the plot line ... i think it would be the same with this version if I hadn't already seen the original ... specifically, on how they solve the mystery ... in any case, i found it to be quite good actually considering the film was almost 2:45 long ... the performances were very good especially when you consider having to reprise roles that were done very recently ... the cinematography was exceptional along with the editing ...

for those who saw it and reviewed it here ... can ya mention if you read the books and/or saw the original?
  • ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    polaris_x wrote:

first off ... rooney mara ... purrrrrrrrrr ... haha ... i'm not normally into piercings and stuff but damm ... they were supposed to make her NOT HOT ... :lol:

anyways - i didn't read any of the books so, this opinion is not from a fan of the books ... when i watched the original swedish version - i found it hard to follow the plot line ... i think it would be the same with this version if I hadn't already seen the original ... specifically, on how they solve the mystery ... in any case, i found it to be quite good actually considering the film was almost 2:45 long ... the performances were very good especially when you consider having to reprise roles that were done very recently ... the cinematography was exceptional along with the editing ...

for those who saw it and reviewed it here ... can ya mention if you read the books and/or saw the original?

I just got through watching the 2nd & 3rd parts in the original swedish movies...Girl who played with Fire & Girl who kicked a Hornet's nest...I have to say I felt they were really good. They were both long...but worth the watch. I have not seen the 1st, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo in either version. I want to see if I can locate the Swedish version first, before watching the Hollywood one. I didn't read the books...and I really wish I did first.
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
    i have not read the girl with the dragon tattoo book or seen the orginal movie.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    edited January 2012
    We watch three movies this weekend. All great plots. We loved they way they were filmed, beautiful, yet sometimes contrasting views of the places they were set in.

The Year Dolly Parton Was My Mom
    :thumbup: coming of age story about adoption

Life, above all.
    :thumbup: the strenght of the love between child and parent, based on the novel Chandra's Secrets

Midnight in Paris
    :thumbup: Woody Allen film, we were pleasantly surprised by it, not what were expecting.

EDIT: The images were not loading. Sorry about that.
    Post edited by ShimmyMommy on
  • of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    I haven't read the books of Girl with the Dragon Tattoo or saw any of the other movies. Just the hollywood version.

Did see Adventures of TinTin this weekend with my little man. He lost interest in it about halfway thru. I wasn't overly excited about it either.
    polaris_x wrote:

i tried to watch the swedish girl with the dragon tattoo last weekend... maybe i got halfway through... subtitles arent a problem for me but an inertiatic plotline is. tho im not one for hollywood remakes i would like to see what they retained cause some things i saw in the original were a bit.... how shall i say.... not hollywood friendly.. but then again it is david fincher directing so...
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • I'm SO not a Trekkie, but I rented the new Star Trek last night. It was good. Even my wife liked it, and she has never seen ANY fantasy movies (no Trek, no Star Wars, no LOTR). She hates the genre.

Anyone ever seen Lost Highway? I bought it about 8 years ago (one of those "same price to rent as to buy") and it's still in the plastic! I'm almost afraid to watch it! I've heard it's pretty screwed up!
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
    I'm SO not a Trekkie, but I rented the new Star Trek last night. It was good. Even my wife liked it, and she has never seen ANY fantasy movies (no Trek, no Star Wars, no LOTR). She hates the genre.

Anyone ever seen Lost Highway? I bought it about 8 years ago (one of those "same price to rent as to buy") and it's still in the plastic! I'm almost afraid to watch it! I've heard it's pretty screwed up!

the new startrek?? the one where theyre at star fleet academy??
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • "War Horse" ive been told is a great movie.. :D
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    I went to see The Iron Lady ... Oh it was not good.I wanted to see how Hollywood documented the life of the women who destroyed a nation.
    Story line jumped everywhere,which doesn't usually bother me at all,it mostly dealt with her decline into dementia,manifesting in countless visualisations of her dead long ago husband Denis popping up like Casper the friendly ghost,really fucking irritating to watch.

Next on list J Edgar,Margaret and Dreams of a Life
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
    I'm SO not a Trekkie, but I rented the new Star Trek last night. It was good. Even my wife liked it, and she has never seen ANY fantasy movies (no Trek, no Star Wars, no LOTR). She hates the genre.

yeah i thoguht the newest one by JJ abrams was a really nice revisioning of the series. I think it could have a lot of apeal to those that are not traditional "trekkies"

Love the openign battle sequance in the theatre and on blu ray :D
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i tried to watch the swedish girl with the dragon tattoo last weekend... maybe i got halfway through... subtitles arent a problem for me but an inertiatic plotline is. tho im not one for hollywood remakes i would like to see what they retained cause some things i saw in the original were a bit.... how shall i say.... not hollywood friendly.. but then again it is david fincher directing so...

i believe the not hollywood friendly parts are in tact ... haha ... it's interesting because it seems to me that the hollywood version is a bit truer to the books from what i can gather ... the plotline is difficult to follow which is why i posed the question on whether these films are more accessible by watching either both films or a film and read the book ...
    intodeep wrote:

yeah i thoguht the newest one by JJ abrams was a really nice revisioning of the series. I think it could have a lot of apeal to those that are not traditional "trekkies"

Love the openign battle sequance in the theatre and on blu ray :D

im a fan of jj abrams.. though i think the train wreck scene in super8 couldve done with some editing. but yeah his star trek was good.

did you ever see 'the cage' episode of star trek? i thought it was a sweet move by abrams to have pike in his movie.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    did you ever see 'the cage' episode of star trek? i thought it was a sweet move by abrams to have pike in his movie.
    I have not seen that one. I'm a pretty big sci fi fantasy geek :ugeek: but i am only casual Star Trek fan. Seen some movies and watched some of the orginal and next generation but not much more. one day i'll dig into it i'm sure.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Anyone ever seen Lost Highway? I bought it about 8 years ago (one of those "same price to rent as to buy") and it's still in the plastic! I'm almost afraid to watch it! I've heard it's pretty screwed up!

One of my favourite David Lynch films. It's fantastic but it is screwed up and not a straight forward film. His films never are (except maybe Dune)
  • Anyone ever seen Lost Highway? I bought it about 8 years ago (one of those "same price to rent as to buy") and it's still in the plastic! I'm almost afraid to watch it! I've heard it's pretty screwed up!

One of my favourite David Lynch films. It's fantastic but it is screwed up and not a straight forward film. His films never are (except maybe Dune)

i agree. i highly recommend it. If you are into typical hollywood fare, you may not like it. Lynch is a true artist. I love how from the first second of many of his latter movies, the viewer is left to interpret and decipher literally every single frame of the film until the end. I'd even say he changed my view of reality, and of life. So inspiring.

Lost Highway is a bizaare film, and is disturbing in parts, but i was more mesmerized and blown away by his nonlinear narrative and just this insane world he creates, the long passageways, the eerie cameo by Robert Blake, just this alternate universe and one where the viewer doesnt understand a single thing. brilliant

and i'd disagree that there isnt a straight forward lynch movie. straight story certainly is. And Blue Velvet and The Elephant Man, are strange films but not the crazy labyrinth like stuff that is Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire, which id argue are his finest films.
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Just watched the original Swedish version of Girl with the Dragon Tattoo,I read the triology and saw the David Fincher version a few weeks ago.
    I really enjoyed the Swedish version but I think the Fincher one was just that bit better.

Rooney Mara as Lisbeth had a cooler colder edge than Noomi Rapace as Lisbeth.Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross music score built the tension perfectly.

Both great films but maybe the Hollywood/Fincher treatment made that slight difference
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,793
    Anyone see "A Separation" yet? Heard that was getting phenomenal reviews
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    intodeep wrote:
    I have not seen that one. I'm a pretty big sci fi fantasy geek :ugeek: but i am only casual Star Trek fan. Seen some movies and watched some of the orginal and next generation but not much more. one day i'll dig into it i'm sure.

its the pilot. clearly they werent thrilled with jeffrey hunters acting cause they replaced pike with james t kirk.. :lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399

its the pilot. clearly they werent thrilled with jeffrey hunters acting cause they replaced pike with james t kirk.. :lol:

I don't think he was that bad, I think he was better than Nimoy who looked like an idiot in that one. Hunter was asked to come back and film the second pilot, but declined.

I love Shatner, but let's face it, he's no Laurence Oliver

captainkirk8sx.gif
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"

I don't think he was that bad, I think he was better than Nimoy who looked like an idiot in that one. Hunter was asked to come back and film the second pilot, but declined.

I love Shatner, but let's face it, he's no Laurence Oliver

captainkirk8sx.gif

yeah but his cover of pulps common people is awesome. i like it better than the original

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ainyK6fXku0
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Seen PROJECT NIM: Where the chimpanzee was raised in a human family and his life following leaving that family. It was shocking and sad....eye opening.
  • i just saw "the debt"..i like it..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • I watched the first Sherlock Holmes movie with Robert Downey. I thought it was very good. The scenery and cinematography were really good. Made me want to see the new one too.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • SpagsSpags Posts: 3,026
    I saw the second one the other day...

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

I like a sequel that takes the best stuff from the first movie and expands upon it. Holmes as Last Action Hero may still be a bit of a stretch, even more so this time around, but I loved the way he planed out his martial arts moves before whirling through them in his first outing, and this technique is wonderfully woven into the plot during the final showdown. The action set pieces were thrilling, a great mix of mild peril and slapstick humour making the best use of Guy Ritchie's visual style - the stag do brawl and the escape through the woods being highlights. These explosive moments used as a diversion while Ritchie attempts a bit of slight of hand - however the call backs were, I'd expect, a tad too obvious to slip past most viewers. Better use was made of Watson this time around, as he employs methods of deduction learnt from his time spent observing Holmes. Jared Harris was wonderful as Professor Moriarty, thankfully a more traditional take on the character than the recent TV offering. All of this culminating in a great romp around Europe that managed to touch the heart while not necessarily the head.

4/5
    Nature drunk and High
  • I also saw our Idiot Brother with Paul Rudd. It was pleasantly good. Not too laugh out loud funny, but well acted and a fun lead character. Rudd is good in everything thses days.

Cool review on Sherlock Holmes 2 Spags, thanks!
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)