Movie Threads?

Comments

• SpagsSpags Posts: 3,026
    Let's know what you thought of it once you get the chance!
    Nature drunk and High
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i saw sherlock holmes last night. a good escapist romp.

i also saw pans labyrinth tonight. i really enjoyed it. its the 2nd time ive seen one of del toros films. way back in 2001 i saw the devils backbone. interestingly, at least for me, both films were set in the spanish civil war.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,793
    Well i had never see the Big Lebowski before :oops: :shock: that is until last night. It was playing at the local indie movie theater near me. I know it did horrible in the box office and got bad reviews and i can def. see why, but i can also def. see why it has become a "cult classic". I enjoyed it a lot, funny moments and memorable quotes. Although throughout the movie I could def, see Eddie being/playing "The Dude" :lol:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • SawyerSawyer Posts: 2,411
    'Carnage' was incredible....check this one out
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    Saw 'The Ides of March' a couple nights ago. Boring and predictable.
  • veddertownveddertown Posts: 5,260
    I just finished watching 127 Hours for the first time. That was such an emotional, harrowing story. The scene where he breaks the bones and cuts through his arm was so intense that I was so far of the sofa I nearly came off it and my mouth went dry. It's pretty gruesome but the finale was so emotionally uplifting and I'm glad to have finally seen it. I think I'll go and watch some Spongebob now... :D
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • SpagsSpags Posts: 3,026
    Saw Blue Valentine yesterday and its a cracking piece of film maker, fantastic performances from Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams and very interesting way to tell a story.
    Nature drunk and High
  • Well i had never see the Big Lebowski before :oops: :shock: that is until last night. It was playing at the local indie movie theater near me. I know it did horrible in the box office and got bad reviews and i can def. see why, but i can also def. see why it has become a "cult classic". I enjoyed it a lot, funny moments and memorable quotes. Although throughout the movie I could def, see Eddie being/playing "The Dude" :lol:

One of my all time faves!

If You Like Crunchy Guitar Riffs, Powerful Vocals, Melodic Guitar Solos, And Meaningful Lyrics..then you need to check out one of the most refreshing new hard rock bands in quite some time...-->The Liberty Underground<--
  • I saw an unusual movie over the weekend. In fact I was a bit under the weather, so I watched a few crappy movies because I didnt really want to pay close attention. But one flick called "Another Earth" was interesting. Not great, but at least it was unique. it starts with the discovery of an earth-like planet. There is not much description of the planet though, but rather an unlikely relationship that forms around the same time as the planets discovery.

trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlPfAYpnpuw
    i also saw pans labyrinth tonight. i really enjoyed it. its the 2nd time ive seen one of del toros films. way back in 2001 i saw the devils backbone. interestingly, at least for me, both films were set in the spanish civil war.

I love Pans labyrinth. I thought it was much better on a second time around because I knew the story a bit better and didnt need to focus so much on the english subtitles.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    Well i had never see the Big Lebowski before :oops: :shock: that is until last night. It was playing at the local indie movie theater near me. I know it did horrible in the box office and got bad reviews and i can def. see why, but i can also def. see why it has become a "cult classic". I enjoyed it a lot, funny moments and memorable quotes. Although throughout the movie I could def, see Eddie being/playing "The Dude" :lol:

this aggression will not stand !!
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    I watched You Don't Know Jack, very good

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Don%27 ... %28film%29

200px-You_Don%27t_Know_Jack.jpg
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    smarchee wrote:
    I watched You Don't Know Jack, very good

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Don%27 ... %28film%29

200px-You_Don%27t_Know_Jack.jpg

holy fuck thats al pacino??? he looks like roy scheider.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Haywire http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1506999/

Pretty disappointed with this - I expected much more from Steven Soderbergh and this cast but the writing and overall screenplay were pretty weak ... in trying to showcase Gina Carano as an action movie star while masking her inexperience, they ended up with something that just had very little flow or suspense to it ...
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957

That rug really tied the room together
  • whoever recommended the movie "Contagion" to me, and there were several of you, I will be ignoring any further recommendations.

***SPOILER ALERT*** (although there is nothing left to spoil, the director already did that)

I could talk about everything that was wrong with it from a character development standpoint and the viewer being totally uncapable of empathizing with any of them, or the fact that... it splinters off into various plots which are all weak and underdeveloped, about the massive (gigantic) holes in the story, about there being little story continuity, that there is really no antagonistic character other than a liberal blogger which is interesting considering it is supposedly the f'ing END OF DAYS, well not really only about 1/100 people die so it is like a bad flu, the actors were bland and the visuals were poor, or about how it was supposed to be a thriller and was slow and tedious, and finally - how the director might have been wise to know a little about microbiology and how viruses spread... but I won't talk about those things. What a stupid and moronic movie and a waste of $60MM. I hate this movie more than I've hated any movie in a long time. It is complete garbage and I'd rather watch The Human Centipede than watch this heaping pile of shit again.
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
    whoever recommended the movie "Contagion" to me, and there were several of you, I will be ignoring any further recommendations.

***SPOILER ALERT*** (although there is nothing left to spoil, the director already did that)

I could talk about everything that was wrong with it from a character development standpoint and the viewer being totally uncapable of empathizing with any of them, or the fact that... it splinters off into various plots which are all weak and underdeveloped, about the massive (gigantic) holes in the story, about there being little story continuity, that there is really no antagonistic character other than a liberal blogger which is interesting considering it is supposedly the f'ing END OF DAYS, well not really only about 1/100 people die so it is like a bad flu, the actors were bland and the visuals were poor, or about how it was supposed to be a thriller and was slow and tedious, and finally - how the director might have been wise to know a little about microbiology and how viruses spread... but I won't talk about those things. What a stupid and moronic movie and a waste of $60MM. I hate this movie more than I've hated any movie in a long time. It is complete garbage and I'd rather watch The Human Centipede than watch this heaping pile of shit again.

just wanted to say ... you didn't actually include anything that would be close to be a SPOILER ... :lol::lol:
  • polaris_x wrote:
    whoever recommended the movie "Contagion" to me, and there were several of you, I will be ignoring any further recommendations.

just wanted to say ... you didn't actually include anything that would be close to be a SPOILER ... :lol::lol:

ha! you're right. well, I did mention that barely anyone dies... when I went to see it I thought it was apocalyptic in scale.
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,793
    polaris_x wrote:
    Haywire http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1506999/

Pretty disappointed with this - I expected much more from Steven Soderbergh and this cast but the writing and overall screenplay were pretty weak ... in trying to showcase Gina Carano as an action movie star while masking her inexperience, they ended up with something that just had very little flow or suspense to it ...

saw this tonight. I enjoyed it. Good action/thriller movie. Thought the plot was kinda decent. Acting was ok.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,514
    edited November 2012
    Post edited by OffSheGoes35 on
    Underworld Awakening ... http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/underworld_awakening/

really ... kate beckinsale in tight leather/pleather/spandex/whatever kicking all kinds of ass for 90 mins ... what more do people want these days!?? ... :lol::lol: ... ok - i like this franchise ... if i'm not on the food network, i scour my tv periodically for the constant replays of the matrix, blade and underworld ... story works for me and the characters are good and the effects/make up are awesome ... keep making more! ... haha
    For the Wes Anderson fans...

Moonrise Kingdom trailer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N8wkVA4_8s

what the cuss! ... can't wait ... looks awesome!
  • Saw Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. The critics in the New York tabloids panned but I thought it was very good, very moving.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,958
    Just watched The Bang Bang Club (2010) last night.

It is a semi-biographical account of four photo-journalists, two of whom won Pulitzer prizes, chronicling the violence in South Africa from the end of Apartheid to SA's first free elections.

It was, to say the least, very, very moving. I've been thinking about it all day. It really makes you think about the moral ambiguities faced by those chronicling (or fighting for that matter) war and violence stricken regions and how they cope, or not, with seeing the worse that humanity can offer.

It's not a perfect movie by any means, some aspects of the movie just seemed added on to appeal to a wider audience. But overall, it was very thought provoking and insightful, and not a little bit sad.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I watched Drive last night and i enjoyed it. The last 45 minutes were awesome :D
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • intodeep wrote:
    I watched Drive last night and i enjoyed it. The last 45 minutes were awesome :D

I'm excited to see this. on a sidenote, is this Gossling fella in every movie released in the last year or what?
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • intodeep wrote:

I'm excited to see this. on a sidenote, is this Gossling fella in every movie released in the last year or what?

me too, I'm going to see it this weekend. heard a lot fo good things.

I just watched 50/50, thought it was pretty funny while being king of sad and a little scary at the same time.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
    intodeep wrote:

me too, I'm going to see it this weekend. heard a lot fo good things.

I just watched 50/50, thought it was pretty funny while being king of sad and a little scary at the same time.
    I watched 50/50 a couple weeks ago and enjoyed it as well. Nothing earth shattering but a nice movie about a heavy subject
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    My favorite time of the year:

http://go.amctheatres.com/bps

:D
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
    BELLFLOWER!
    BELLFLOWER!
    BELLFLOWER!

How did i miss the movie Bellflower before?
    Awesome indie movie about two friends who spend their time preparng for the apocalypse by creating weapons (flame throwers and bad ass shit like that)and end up falling in love with these girls and things go horrendiously bad and it ends up in a mess.

It is another juxtaposed plot with an ending that leaves you talking like inception did.

You all have probably already seen it though right :? I'm just late to the party?

Anyway the cinamatography is great it is all low budget and filmed very uniquly.

I actually think i liked it more than drive
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Anyone seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G5pyFhmAqE

Very strange film but kinda cool