Options

Movie Threads?

Comments

• Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Newch91 wrote:
    Elf with Will Ferrel.
    This flick kills me. I love it.
    He calls himself a "cotton-headed ninny muffin" in the first five minutes.
    I love Elf! I crack up when he arrives in NYC and the guy is waving for a taxi and Will is waving and saying "hi" to the guy.

Watching "It's a Wonderful Life" this morning to start my day. I love that movie.

Love that scene too -- That pretty much kicks off the whacky humor of Will Ferrel dealing with the city.
    Then there's the 'worlds best coffee'! haha, "you did it!" :D
    :lol::lol: The whole city scene when he gets there always cracks me up.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Hugo

This film was nothing like I anticipated. What I thought was going to be another story of against-all-odds-kid-with-big-heart rises above kind of movie turned out to be something else altogether. A homage to film making in the vane of Cinema Paradiso both using a young boy as the protagonist. I would say the boy's performance in Hugo was mixed and I think that is partly due to the writing. However, Ben Kingsley and Sacha Baron Cohen are great in this as well as the girl who played Isabelle (if i'm not mistaken - she looked like the girl in Kick Ass). Despite some moments of indifference on my part - this movie packed a shit load of sentimentality and in the end it was pretty wonderful experience. The cinematography is fantastic.

• Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    Hugo

This film was nothing like I anticipated. What I thought was going to be another story of against-all-odds-kid-with-big-heart rises above kind of movie turned out to be something else altogether. A homage to film making in the vane of Cinema Paradiso both using a young boy as the protagonist. I would say the boy's performance in Hugo was mixed and I think that is partly due to the writing. However, Ben Kingsley and Sacha Baron Cohen are great in this as well as the girl who played Isabelle (if i'm not mistaken - she looked like the girl in Kick Ass). Despite some moments of indifference on my part - this movie packed a shit load of sentimentality and in the end it was pretty wonderful experience. The cinematography is fantastic.

This is one I'm looking forward to.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,311
    Newch91 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    Hugo

This is one I'm looking forward to.

def. check it out. it was great. I think i posted a review of it a few pages ago.

I want to check out Mission Impossible 4 and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I want to check out Mission Impossible 4

I've only seen the first one. I think I saw the very end of the second one like 10 years ago when I was getting ready to watch the movie coming on after it on the same channel, but all I remember is Tom Cruise on a beach and he kicks a pistol up out of the sand and shoots somebody. It's weird I haven't seen the others because I loved the first one. Even though I have bad memories of seeing the first one in the theater. I was in high school and I was going to see it on a double date with my friend and his girlfriend, but before we left I got in an argument with my girlfriend and we broke up. So I was the third wheel at the theater, watching it all pissed off about breaking up while my buddy and his girlfriend made out next to me throughout the entire movie. :lol: Ah high school.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    The Descendants http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_descendants_2011/

A warm and funny story built on a tragic event. We've seen this before and so originality is not necessarily there however, there aren't many movies that don't have influences these days. Well acted, especially Shailene Woodley, who plays the eldest daughter. Her chemistry with Clooney is spectacular. Another very good film involving George Clooney and also for the year. Although box office has been shit mainly because the big hollywood movies have sucked - there have been quite a few good smaller films released this year and I would put it in my top 10 for the year.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    polaris_x wrote:
    Hugo

youre not mistaken. it is chloe grace moretz. she a good little actress. ive seen her in 500 days of summer, diary of a wimpy kid(where she sits under the bleachers and reads ginsberg) and in let me in which is a not so bad remake of the swedish film let the right one in. apparently shes gonna be in dark shadows.. cant wait for that one.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Caught the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo today. Theater was pretty packed for a noon showing. Movie itself ws decent. I enjoyed it, didn't realize there was gonna be that much nudity/sex scenes though. It was over 2 1/2 hours but really didn't feel like it. Probably one of those movies if i saw it again i would get a better feel for it. Reznor/Atticus did a great job in the score too. Not sure how it differed from the book or the Swedish movie. I should start reading it and or see the other version.

Friend just texted me and said they were planning on seeing MI4 tonight.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    Caught the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo today. Theater was pretty packed for a noon showing. Movie itself ws decent. I enjoyed it, didn't realize there was gonna be that much nudity/sex scenes though. It was over 2 1/2 hours but really didn't feel like it. Probably one of those movies if i saw it again i would get a better feel for it. Reznor/Atticus did a great job in the score too. Not sure how it differed from the book or the Swedish movie. I should start reading it and or see the other version.

Reznor did the score for another Fincher movie?
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

yes, The Social Network.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

yes, The Social Network.
    I know he did The Social Network, didn't know he did it for The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

I know he did The Social Network, didn't know he did it for The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

:lol: i thought you were thinking the other way around (knew Girl with Dragon Tattoo but not Social Network)
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387

I am going to see this tonight as I read the books and enjoyed them.

I saw The Lady,I knew Aung San Suu Kyi story but the film was as fast paced as paint drying :yawn:
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

:lol: i thought you were thinking the other way around (knew Girl with Dragon Tattoo but not Social Network)
    :lol:
  • Options
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/photo ... se-0113642
    DREAM CAST My wish for next year is to get my friends Robert De Niro and Leonardo DiCaprio together. Not for pasta – in a movie directed by me. I've done eight films with Bob, four with Leo. They are my friends and collaborators. Now I want to join them up. It's my dream. And I'm going to make it happen.

I would definitely see that movie.
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 3,003
    http://unclespaggles.blogspot.com/2011/ ... -2011.html

Some words about the films I saw at the cinema this year...if you bored and that...
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    anybody heard/seen anything about 'War Horse'? My mom wants me to take her to go see it but it's not very appealing to me for some reason.. :?
  • Options
    EmBleve wrote:
    anybody heard/seen anything about 'War Horse'? My mom wants me to take her to go see it but it's not very appealing to me for some reason.. :?

heard it got decent reviews, haven't seen it and probably won't. Yeah doesn't seem like my cup of tea.

Did however see Mission Impossible IV: Ghost Protocol. That was pretty fun and exciting movie. Probably the most action packed movie i have seen this year and it had a decent plot. Highly recommended esp. if you liked the other ones.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Watched thr dragon girl movie. Really enjoyed it, even with its awkward butt scene
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    Watched thr dragon girl movie. Really enjoyed it, even with its awkward butt scene

Saw that in the cinema this week, brilliant film,harrowing,dark and brilliantly acted.But yes "that" scene was not nice I was with my bro watching it :?
  • Options
    conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    81 wrote:
    have you seen the original? i think it's from sweden, it has subtitles... i really liked it along with the other 2 after it
  • Options
    conman wrote:
    81 wrote:
    have you seen the original? i think it's from sweden, it has subtitles... i really liked it along with the other 2 after it

YesI did,and it is in Swedish,but I prefer this new David Fincher one,very Fincher,dark and brooding,music score by Trent Reznor.Opening titles are stunning.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    conman wrote:
    81 wrote:
    Nope...looking forward to the next english installment tho.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    stargirl69 wrote:
    81 wrote:

Saw that in the cinema this week, brilliant film,harrowing,dark and brilliantly acted.But yes "that" scene was not nice I was with my bro watching it :?
    I wasn't sure how long i should wait after that scene before touching the gf's leg.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    stargirl69 wrote:
    conman wrote:
    81 wrote:

YesI did,and it is in Swedish,but I prefer this new David Fincher one,very Fincher,dark and brooding,music score by Trent Reznor.Opening titles are stunning.
    i didn't care about the movie at first... i was only looking forward to the soundtrack because trent reznor was recording it :?
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    stargirl69 wrote:
    81 wrote:

I wasn't sure how long i should wait after that scene before touching the gf's leg.

:shock: :lol: As long as you didn't suggest she flip over :?
  • Options
    conman wrote:
    i didn't care about the movie at first... i was only looking forward to the soundtrack because trent reznor was recording it :?

Definitely worth seeing,hope Fincher gets the rights to the screenplay for the other two books adaptation to film
  • Options
    stargirl69 wrote:
    conman wrote:

Definitely worth seeing,hope Fincher gets the rights to the screenplay for the other two books adaptation to film
    thanks! i'll definately check it out now
  • Options
    conman wrote:
    stargirl69 wrote:
    conman wrote:

thanks! i'll definately check it out now

Note: Not a first date kind of movie :?
  • Options
    stargirl69 wrote:

Note: Not a first date kind of movie :?
    noted :lol:

i kinda figured that after watching the original