conman wrote:
    stargirl69 wrote:

Note: Not a first date kind of movie :?
    noted :lol:

i kinda figured that after watching the original

:D
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    stargirl69 wrote:
    Note: Not a first date kind of movie :?

depends on the chick :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    oh yeah...also watched Sherlock Holmes. meh...typically hollywood part 2 movie. it was ok...nothing great.

dragon girl dominated the post movie drive conversation
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,138
    Watched two movies on TV the other day, the 1991 movie King of New York with Christopher Walken and the movie "Company Men" on showtime.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Watched the original "Psycho" from 1960 that was sitting on the DVR for a few days...HOLY SHIT, what a great movie that was! First time I watched it. Possibly Hitchcock's best. Will write more on my thoughts about it in the morning.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,311
    Last night I was at a buddy's place to ring in the new year witha few other friends. Decided to watch a movie. Tried Crank 2, but his blu-ray player wasn't working. So then we decided on a movie that debuted at the Toronto Film Festival in Toronto in Sept. This movie isn't even released in the US yet. It's called Rampart starring Woody Harrelson. By the time the movie started it was 1:30 AM I knew i was gonna fall asleep during it which i kinda did. Dozed off a few times, but caught most of it. It was ok. Woody plays a cop in the Rampart section of LA. He's kinda an asshole in the movie (sexist, male chauvinist, racist, etc ...) He gets caught on camera beating up a potential suspect. He was good in it, but the plot wasn't too great and the ending was kinda week (which i missed :lol: ) Here's the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGHPD3IYnd0&ob=av3e
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,907
    Watched The Class (2008 French film). Expecting alot from this, as it won the Palme d'Or at Cannes, but it was your typical school film. Teacher teaching a tough group of kids, kids don't want to participate, tough kid goes off the rails, gets expelled. Pretty much your inner-city school film by numbers.
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • Options
    electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,459
    I just got back from seeing "We Bought A Zoo"...WOW!! what a cOoL movie! ~
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• Options
    stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    I just got back from seeing "We Bought A Zoo"...WOW!! what a cOoL movie! ~

Ooooooh I so want to see this but it doesn't seem to have a release date for here yet
  • Options
    pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    EmBleve wrote:
    anybody heard/seen anything about 'War Horse'? My mom wants me to take her to go see it but it's not very appealing to me for some reason.. :?

heard it got decent reviews, haven't seen it and probably won't. Yeah doesn't seem like my cup of tea.

Yes I saw it. Got mixed reviews, if you like weepy movies then go see it, if you're not into sentiment, then dont. It's a good movie to see if you like animals, and Spielberg, one of my favourite directors did a good job imo.
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    well, i havent seen the film yet, but make a point to catch any of the films screened at sundance. i find elizabeth olsen facinating. she seems to be the polar opposite of her sisters, and seems to feel films are art rather than vehicles for fame and stardom. the wait for sundance films to make it to my hometown is always agonizingly long. sundance was in febuary and i was hyped up for seeing Martha. Its now obviously mid november. i think alot of people, rightly or wrongly view the olsen twins as attention seeking fame hungry stars. its interesting and piqued my interest, that elizabeth, seems to not want the spotlight, and seems driven by scripts and movies and characters that are interesting, and challenging, as opposed to some blockbuster film. as i said i havent seen the film yet, so who knows.

John hawkes was brilliant in last years sundance hit Winters Bone, which by the way was unbelievably underrated and i hear this year he is just as creepy as the cult leader guy.

i disagree that its easier to play a victim. im sure if you were to say to charlize, "you had it easy playing eileen wuornos in monster" you'd get her angry and she's understandably walk away. plus, to suggest she played a victim in that role is a cloudy issue. after all wuornos was a convicted serial killer who was executed. i always viewed her as a victim myself, but tons of people didnt. i found the monster performance masterful myself.

1. i didn't know she was related to those twins ... haha
    2. john hawkes is awesome ... his scenes had the most anxiety ...
    3. well ... how many times have we commended charlize theron's performance since? ... i think the audience already empathizes ... i tend to view the performance as it relates to the overall film ...

anyhoo - let me know your thoughts after you see it ...

so i finally saw it, martha marcy may marlene. ive waited to see it for 11 months. the whole cast was great. i was indeed inpressed with elizabeth olsen and could see her getting an oscar nod, and john hawkes getting one for, would he be supporting actor in this. he is so great now at playing creepy charcters. maybe it was because i saw myself and my beliefs and ideals in elizabeth olsens character, ive done the commune life, i have views on life and possessions and jobs that mirror hers, so maybe its personal for me, but not universal. but i thought this was a brilliantly done thriller. we have so few of those nowadays.
  • Options
    so finally saw hugo. i had read the book beforehand, and was worried it might spoil it for me, as i sort of get the feeling for most people, the movie is their only exposure to this story. But, saw it in 3d and it was pretty damn amazing. scorsese shows us why he's such a revered filmmaker by reinventing the wheel in 3d. so many cool scenes that looked stunning in 3d. the ashes falling from the handkerchief. the papers and drawings flying around the room. the ariel shots of paris at night. the black and white movies in 3d. world war II in 3d. the explosions/sparkler scenes. the opening shots going through the train station. hugo's dream about the train tracks. the underwater lobster fish scene. the painting scene. pretty damn impressive
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    saw zombieland last night. zombies really are the most unattractive creatures arent they? they have no redeeming qualities AT ALL.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    watched Hostage with Bruce Willis (and even J Peterman's accountant-the guy who wanted to see the Sable Hat). not bad until it turned all "Crow" ish later on near the end.

no wonder it was in the free section of my video on demand.

George_Costanza_Hat.jpg
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Very little on at the cinema at the minute but 'The artist' is out this Friday and it has been getting some very positive reviews.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK7pfLlsUQM
  • Options
    watched Hostage with Bruce Willis (and even J Peterman's accountant-the guy who wanted to see the Sable Hat). not bad until it turned all "Crow" ish later on near the end.

no wonder it was in the free section of my video on demand.

ugh i cant watch this film cause i read the book and i am fairly certain theyllve screwed it up... somehow... just like they fucked with red dragon twice.. TWICE... and they didnt get it right.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Okay i caught some movies FINALLY!!

The Artist- This was a very wel done movie. I appreciated it and enjoyed it, but i did not think it was the greatest thing since slice bread. I did not find it as entertaining as i would have liked but i did find it very well directed/shot. I'd give it a solid B

Shame- Well this was cool, and the actign was very good but I did not love it. I did not think the ending was bad, but i felt it is a device i've seen too often (don't want to spill the beans to ruin it). C+

Young Adult- Full disclosure I have loved everything Jason Reitman has done. I liked this film too, but it did not blow me away. I thought it did not pull it together as well as it could have in the end. Very enjoyable though. I'd go B+

I rented-
    Water for Elephants- I did not think this was a bad movie it actually was better than i thought it would be. Nothing really special here but also nothing poorly done either. Its a good average movie C

Horrible Bossess- I laughed a lot at this. I like dark humor and this had some good things going for it. I liked it and for a comedy I thought it was good. Id give it a C+

I want to see Dangerous Method, Girl w/ Dragon Tattoo, Sherlock Holmes and i'm on the fence about mission impossible.

Also want to rent Drive (when it comes out) and Tree of Life

I got way behind on my movies this year :(
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    I plan to see some films while on holiday

The Artist
    The Iron Lady
    J Edgar
    Shame
    Dreams of a Life
    Margaret
    Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (again)
  • Options
    Had "Man on the Moon" sitting in the DVR since Saturday. Watched it today and loved it. Jim Carrey was great as Andy Kaufman. The movie got me interested in Andy.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    We watched The Best Little Whore House in Texas the other night, I thought it was a good laugh. We also watched Your Highness and Horrible Bosses. Next up is Crazy Stupid Love. I'm a huge Steve Carrell fan so I cannot wait!
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    Newch91 wrote:
    Had "Man on the Moon" sitting in the DVR since Saturday. Watched it today and loved it. Jim Carrey was great as Andy Kaufman. The movie got me interested in Andy.

That was a great performance, and the movie had the same effect on me. I havent seen it in awhile, so maybe i'll dig it up again.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

That was a great performance, and the movie had the same effect on me. I havent seen it in awhile, so maybe i'll dig it up again.
    Yep. Sad to see the way he died, for a guy who didn't smoke or do drugs at all.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,311
    Caught The Artist earlier tonight. I enjoyed it very much. The director did an outstanding job. Nothing groundbreaking or anything and the story was simple but the way it was told.... Also The dog kinda stole most of the scenes though :lol:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Saw Tree of Life

wow quite a trip. I really liked it but it is not for everyone.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    watched Our Idiot Brother last night. Not bad. Definitely got some good laughs out of it.

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. HOLY SHIT!!! Twisted doesn't even begin to explain this.

Horrible Bosses....funnier than shit. Loved that movie

Chipwrecked...my little man loved it. We have another date this weekend to see it. :lol:

Friends with Benefits. Will definitely be watching this one again and again.

Need a good one for tonight.
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    Saw Tree of Life

its not for everyone, but i think its one of the most stunning films ever released. i think brad pitt talked about how this isnt a blockbuster film with car chases and the like. this is a slow burner. the film had some of the most stunning photography ive ever seen. and such a deep and meditative film, asking important questions. Imagine malick pitching this to his team and executives. "well im thinking about making a film, a 2 hour plus film, with about 6 pages of dialogue total, with many shots of things in nature with nothing being said, just shots of trees and butterflies, also included will be a 15 minute section that explains how life began, how our galaxy and world began with whispery prayers and statements throughout asking God why bad things happen, oh and im going to cast Brad Pitt as the lead, but am going to feature a cast of mostly unknown actors including several young boys". can you imagine the silence in the room? As i said, only Malick could dream this up and actually pull it off. I think his attention to detail is amazing. This movie is indeed like a impressionistic painting. I think any film that gets you thinking, especially about such deep and personal questions as this one poses can only be positive.

Its a masterful film, and i saw it twice in theaters, and i rarely see movies multiple times in theaters.
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    Saw Tree of Life

its not for everyone, but i think its one of the most stunning films ever released. i think brad pitt talked about how this isnt a blockbuster film with car chases and the like. this is a slow burner. the film had some of the most stunning photography ive ever seen. and such a deep and meditative film, asking important questions. Imagine malick pitching this to his team and executives. "well im thinking about making a film, a 2 hour plus film, with about 6 pages of dialogue total, with many shots of things in nature with nothing being said, just shots of trees and butterflies, also included will be a 15 minute section that explains how life began, how our galaxy and world began with whispery prayers and statements throughout asking God why bad things happen, oh and im going to cast Brad Pitt as the lead, but am going to feature a cast of mostly unknown actors including several young boys". can you imagine the silence in the room? As i said, only Malick could dream this up and actually pull it off. I think his attention to detail is amazing. This movie is indeed like a impressionistic painting. I think any film that gets you thinking, especially about such deep and personal questions as this one poses can only be positive.

Its a masterful film, and i saw it twice in theaters, and i rarely see movies multiple times in theaters.

I agree.
    I think you need to be prepared forit though. It is more art than movie. By that i think film was supposed to be art, but most of the time it's just entertainmant. This is a film made as an artistic expression.

Loved how at the begining of the DVD it said "you should listen to this movie at a loud volume"

I don't pretend to know exactly what Malick is after here, but i agree i really enjoy movies that you leave feeling the need to think about what you saw and what it means. Throughout the experience it was thought provoking and fore me challenged my imagination. Which i really dig.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    I'm really excited to see Tree of Life. I've had it on DVD for quite some time now, but i'm glad i've read what you all have posted. I feel i definitely need to take intodeep's advice and watch it when I'm prepared for it. Gotta be the right mood, it sounds like.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    im hanging for j.edgar.mightve come our here yesterday im not sure. im a huge fan of leo and clint eastwood is one of the great directors.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    im hanging for j.edgar.mightve come our here yesterday im not sure. im a huge fan of leo and clint eastwood is one of the great directors.
    Let us know how it is.

I too am a fan of both but i've shyed away from it so far.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22