Options

Movie Threads?

Comments

• Options
    afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    Finally saw Horrible Bosses...so funny. Charlie Day & Jennifer Aniston were hilarious... :lol:
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Suzi78 wrote:
    Saw The Skin I Live In, by Almodovar, a few days ago. If you like his movies, you will love this one. It has all the normal Almodovar stuff such as sex, revenge and murder but perhaps a bit more perverse than usual. I loved it :) Highly recommend it.

Here's the trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EolQSTTTpI4

will probably see this soon ... thanks!
  • Options
    In Time http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1637688/

One of those movies I went to because it fit our schedules and I don't pay. Anyways, some decent performances in this movie, primarily Cillian Murphy as the Time Keeper. The film is a socio-political commentary about our economic system using time as the thing we slave for instead of money. Definitely not as gripping as say V for Vendetta and really only has some significance because of the OWS movement. Outside of that - I think it tries to do too much. What starts as a battle against the establishment then turns into some Bonny and Clyde heist flick. Having said all that - I did enjoy the concept of using Time as a means of enslavement.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,127
    I'm going to fire up my old car this weekend and go see a movie.

What to see, what to see ..... hmmm.

46.jpg
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 3,003
    Puss In Boots

A story about the events leading up to the sword fighting cat's meeting with Shrek and his friends. - imdb

I was dragged to the UK premier of this last night, the Shrek character never really won me over and I found many of the characters in his films to be on the annoying side. I'd also viewed this movie as a cash grab by the studio, put it in the same bracket as those Disney straight to DVD sequels of Aladdin and the like...even though I confess to have never watched them so for all I know they could be stunning examples of the genre.

However, the opening scene is so wonderfully crafted that I completely bought into Puss as the main character and the tone is set for what turned out to be a genuinely great animated adventure. The above synopsis is very misleading as no mention is made to the other Shrek movies and doesn't directly follow into that set of stories at all. Of course the fairytale nature is present, this time Jack and the Beanstalk gets worked into the narrative, but doesn't swamp or upstage the central story. It successfully inflates to epic proportions during chase scenes and moments of magical wonder, but manages to scale back to effectively convey the more intimate moments between its stripped down cast. There are only 5 main players here and thankfully none of them are annoying!

Antonio's voice acting is superb and the animation of Puss is flawless. I understand the relevance of casting Salma Hayek as his love interest Kitty Softpaws, but she didn't bring as much of a spark to proceedings as I'd have like considering their history together. Still, a convincing leading ladycat that doesn't steal the spotlight is probably what was called for so a minor criticism. Zach Galifianakis is almost unrecognisable voicing the youthful sounding Humpty Dumpty, normally you can sort of see the actors behind the animations but not so for me here, he does play a beardless giant egg though to be fair...

I watched the 3D version, I know there are some haters for this gimmicky format, its implemented incredibly well really adding to some of the action sequences and giving the film a generally enjoyable level of depth. Close ups of Puss you almost want to stroke his ears and whiskers...and I'm a dog person! The cinematography is often beautiful, with western-style sunset silhouettes and for a 3D movie the colours remained vibrant and bright (unlike my experience with the latest Toy Story).

With some surprisingly adult humour, which I wont spoil, I was literally laughing out loud from start to finish - something I've not done at the cinema for quite some time. Seems Dreamworks are able to layer their animations with the feeling of their central creatures perfectly. While it doesn't have the emotional weight and heart of How To Train Your Dragon, Puss In Boots has all the playful energy of a cat trying to catch a beam of light being shined on the floor...which is always captivating to watch!

Loveable/5
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,311
    anyone see Hugo yet? Heard it was getting great reviews? Maybe i'll see it sometime next week
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    anyone see Hugo yet? Heard it was getting great reviews? Maybe i'll see it sometime next week
    That looks really good. On my list.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    used a free Regal movie pass last night to see J. Edgar. It was ok. Leonardo and Armie Hammer were great in it but the story was lacking in most parts. And seemed to "drag" on for awhile :?
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Los Pollos Hermanos Posts: 4,957
    Saw "The Devil's Double" last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhlQOg9abRk

Hard to believe that a film like this could go largely unnoticed. I guess people were too busy watching the sequels to Transformers and The Hangover. Dominic Cooper should have gotten some Oscar consideration for his duel role. Very good film for those looking for something outside the Multiplex.
  • Options
    oona leftoona left Posts: 1,672
    Heisenberg wrote:
    Saw "The Devil's Double" last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhlQOg9abRk

Hard to believe that a film like this could go largely unnoticed. I guess people were too busy watching the sequels to Transformers and The Hangover. Dominic Cooper should have gotten some Oscar consideration for his duel role. Very good film for those looking for something outside the Multiplex.

I have this in my Netflix queue. It sounds great.
  • Options
    Spags wrote:
    Puss In Boots

A story about the events leading up to the sword fighting cat's meeting with Shrek and his friends. - imdb

I was dragged to the UK premier of this last night, the Shrek character never really won me over and I found many of the characters in his films to be on the annoying side. I'd also viewed this movie as a cash grab by the studio, put it in the same bracket as those Disney straight to DVD sequels of Aladdin and the like...even though I confess to have never watched them so for all I know they could be stunning examples of the genre.

However, the opening scene is so wonderfully crafted that I completely bought into Puss as the main character and the tone is set for what turned out to be a genuinely great animated adventure. The above synopsis is very misleading as no mention is made to the other Shrek movies and doesn't directly follow into that set of stories at all. Of course the fairytale nature is present, this time Jack and the Beanstalk gets worked into the narrative, but doesn't swamp or upstage the central story. It successfully inflates to epic proportions during chase scenes and moments of magical wonder, but manages to scale back to effectively convey the more intimate moments between its stripped down cast. There are only 5 main players here and thankfully none of them are annoying!

Antonio's voice acting is superb and the animation of Puss is flawless. I understand the relevance of casting Salma Hayek as his love interest Kitty Softpaws, but she didn't bring as much of a spark to proceedings as I'd have like considering their history together. Still, a convincing leading ladycat that doesn't steal the spotlight is probably what was called for so a minor criticism. Zach Galifianakis is almost unrecognisable voicing the youthful sounding Humpty Dumpty, normally you can sort of see the actors behind the animations but not so for me here, he does play a beardless giant egg though to be fair...

I watched the 3D version, I know there are some haters for this gimmicky format, its implemented incredibly well really adding to some of the action sequences and giving the film a generally enjoyable level of depth. Close ups of Puss you almost want to stroke his ears and whiskers...and I'm a dog person! The cinematography is often beautiful, with western-style sunset silhouettes and for a 3D movie the colours remained vibrant and bright (unlike my experience with the latest Toy Story).

With some surprisingly adult humour, which I wont spoil, I was literally laughing out loud from start to finish - something I've not done at the cinema for quite some time. Seems Dreamworks are able to layer their animations with the feeling of their central creatures perfectly. While it doesn't have the emotional weight and heart of How To Train Your Dragon, Puss In Boots has all the playful energy of a cat trying to catch a beam of light being shined on the floor...which is always captivating to watch!

Loveable/5

caught this last nite ... the scene where puss meets kitty softpaws was the funniest i seen in a long time ...

overall - a decent enough story with a moral subtext (almost a prerequisite for animated movies) that made for an entertaining experience ... where it truly excelled for me was the integration of cats and their unique behaviours into the story line (see dance off) ...
  • Options
    Recently, we watched FATAL ATTRACTION. I forgot how scary and upsetting it was.
    My last message to you ~

You're right. You are a monster! You are sick! Get help!

At least, I am not a fuck-up! A lying fuck-up!
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    I watched "Hannah" with Saoirse Ronan, Eric Bana, and Cate Blanchett. Pretty good. Kind of strange in that the directorial and editorial styles of it reminded me very much of films from the late 60's and 70's.

The story was nothing groundbreaking, but the cast was awesome. Blanchett is always great.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    I watched Win Win with Paul Giamatti last night.
    Pretty good flick. Paul Giamatti is always good.

Its about this lawyer guy who is also a wrestling coach and is having a hard time with his practice. He does some questionable business dealings and subsequently meets a young kid who has run away from his drug addict mother. The boy turns out to be a good wrestler and their families become entangled.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    That looks really good. On my list.

just got back from this. Outstanding movie! Highly recommended. I was kinda tired when i saw it and almost dozed off in the very beginning :lol: Very slowly the plot began to build and it ended in a masterpiece. It didn't seem like a Scorsese film at all. I also didn't even realize Sasha Baron Cohen was in it until about the last 15 minutes of the film :lol: And i just realized/looked up that the "lead girl" in the movie was "Hit Girl" in Kick Ass. She did a great job here. Cinematography was great and could win an oscar. :)
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Watching 'Water on The Road' now.

My new favourite 'movie' of the moment, and for a long time to come I imagine. :)
  • Options
    Last night, we watched GASLIGHT, a classic psychological thriller in the vein of Alfred Hitchcock's best work. Definitely worth watching, if you've never seen it.
    My last message to you ~

You're right. You are a monster! You are sick! Get help!

At least, I am not a fuck-up! A lying fuck-up!
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 3,003
    HeavyHands wrote:
    I watched "Hannah" with Saoirse Ronan, Eric Bana, and Cate Blanchett. Pretty good. Kind of strange in that the directorial and editorial styles of it reminded me very much of films from the late 60's and 70's.

The story was nothing groundbreaking, but the cast was awesome. Blanchett is always great.

I went in expecting a 'classy' version of Hit Girl (mainly due to Mark Millar bashing it on his twitter), and the initial setup lived up to it. Eric Bana is fantastic as the father/mentor torn between wanting to protect his daughter and exact his revenge. While the lead character successfully manages to portray a girl who has only been told about life beyond the forest. Her 'travelling' experience was also rather nice - the jarring jump in tone and location worked for me.
    I've never been a fan of Blanchett and this movie didn't do anything to win me over, plus her 'henchman' was far from HENCH and seriously miscast. Yet Hanna spends much of the second half running away, presumably to allow time for the Chemical Brothers soundtrack to get a good airing. The Brothers Grimm imagery seemed strangely out of place, perhaps because of the Borne-Realistic-Euro-Gritty-Ness style. Tbh the feel was all over the place so straying into some full blown fantasy style possibly could have worked.
    Really enjoyed the first half hour or so, but once it hit Germany this totally fell apart for me.
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    Crazy, Stupid, Love.
    It was OK. had its moments. Steve Carel is great as the nerdy lead. Its basically his 40 yr Old Virgin character minus the comic books. Ryan Goslings abs, like oh my God? Are they photoshopped?! Emma stone is hot. The soundtrack is really good too.
    B

Barney's Version.
    Paul Giamati is simply awesome. Its a good movie, kind slow moving...but Giamati and the lead lady Rosamund Pike are great in this. its about Giamatis character, spanning about 20 years and 3 marriages and how he chases down his soul mate...
    B+
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    Saw The Descendants over the weekend starring George Clooney. It was good, but I don;t think it was as good as the critics were praising it. The acting was great but there was something lacking in the story and plot.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    Caught Sherlock Holmes: Game Of Shadows tonight. It was pretty good. I liked the first one. Heard this one got mixed reviews so wasn't sure what to expect, but i enjoyed it a lot. One thing it is kinda long (about 2 1/2 hours or so). Some really cool scenes (like in the woods and some of the fight scenes) were done really well.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Rented "Fright Night" (2011)

Even though I thought the cast was good, I had a feeling I wouldn't like it as much as the original (one of my favorites growing up) but it was pretty good. Had the good mixture of horror/comedy the original had, the story was close enough to the original that it deserved to be called "Fright Night", but original enough that it didn't feel like a rehash of the same old thing. Colin Farrel (who I'm not that big on) was actually really good, so was the kid from Star Trek (his name escapes me, but he played Chekov and was the star of this) as was the kid from SuperBad, whose name also escapes me. They went a completely different route from Peter Vincent making him a Vegas stage magician who is kind of a cross between Criss Angel and Russell Brand (played by some guy I've never heard of, but apparently played Dr. Who) and was very funny.

All in all a pretty good watch, and probably the best remake I can remember watching. And I never once felt like they were shitting all over my childhood, which is something I normally feel when watching a remake.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003

Even though I thought the cast was good, I had a feeling I wouldn't like it as much as the original (one of my favorites growing up) but it was pretty good. Had the good mixture of horror/comedy the original had, the story was close enough to the original that it deserved to be called "Fright Night", but original enough that it didn't feel like a rehash of the same old thing. Colin Farrel (who I'm not that big on) was actually really good, so was the kid from Star Trek (his name escapes me, but he played Chekov and was the star of this) as was the kid from SuperBad, whose name also escapes me. They went a completely different route from Peter Vincent making him a Vegas stage magician who is kind of a cross between Criss Angel and Russell Brand (played by some guy I've never heard of, but apparently played Dr. Who) and was very funny.

All in all a pretty good watch, and probably the best remake I can remember watching. And I never once felt like they were shitting all over my childhood, which is something I normally feel when watching a remake.

david tennant. 8-)

farrell has his moments, (cassandras dream wasnt one of them). plus hes totally dark enough to play a vampire.. or actually even be one for all i know. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    farrell has his moments, (cassandras dream wasnt one of them). plus hes totally dark enough to play a vampire.. or actually even be one for all i know. 8-)

I have seen very little of his stuff really. Actually its just that string of 3 movies he did in '02. Hart's War, Minority Report and Phone Booth. And I saw him when he was on Scrubs. I just saw that he's about to be in another 80's remake, he is playing the lead role in the "Total Recall" remake, taking Arnie's role.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003

I have seen very little of his stuff really. Actually its just that string of 3 movies he did in '02. Hart's War, Minority Report and Phone Booth. And I saw him when he was on Scrubs. I just saw that he's about to be in another 80's remake, he is playing the lead role in the "Total Recall" remake, taking Arnie's role.

oh yeah??? kate beckinsales gonna be in that isnt she?? i know her husband is directing... or producing... or something. i cant think of 2 more gorgeous people to lose myself with for a couple of hours.... even in a remake of a movie i wasnt too fussed with. cant wait til she kicks him in the nuts* and says..thats for making me come to mars . classic. :lol:

* yeah yeah i know it was the face but...
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Elf with Will Ferrel.
    This flick kills me. I love it.
    He calls himself a "cotton-headed ninny muffin" in the first five minutes.
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,887

I saw it this weekend too and I agree. Turned out to be better than I thought it would be.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Elf with Will Ferrel.
    I love Elf! I crack up when he arrives in NYC and the guy is waving for a taxi and Will is waving and saying "hi" to the guy.

Watching "It's a Wonderful Life" this morning to start my day. I love that movie.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    We watched Red State last weekend. I liked the "twist" at the end. I also watched the "The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West VA" last night....wow. I cannot believe there is really people out there like that.
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    Elf with Will Ferrel.
    I love Elf! I crack up when he arrives in NYC and the guy is waving for a taxi and Will is waving and saying "hi" to the guy.

Watching "It's a Wonderful Life" this morning to start my day. I love that movie.

Love that scene too -- That pretty much kicks off the whacky humor of Will Ferrel dealing with the city.
    Then there's the 'worlds best coffee'! haha, "you did it!" :D