Options

Movie Threads?

Comments

• Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    a rarity for my wife and I: two awesome movies in a row! Over the weekend we went to Ides of March, excellent. Then last night we rented Horrible Bosses. Fucking hilarious. Jennifer Aniston is the SHIT.

ides of march mustve been good cause when i came out of the cinema i hated george clooney. :lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 3,003
    Drive

I'd have to say this is my film of the year!

So many wonderful moments in this film, it really is a masterpiece of visual storytelling! But my favourite bit has to be when

Spoiler:
    Driver puts on the stuntman face mask and goes after Nino, he looks through the window and I was thinking he would go in and kill him right there and then with anonymity (despite still wearing that signature jacket). What he sees inside is such a brilliantly captured moment as Nino is falling backwards in hysterics, no doubt at his own joke, while, presumably his woman, turns away in bored disgust. I just thought that bit was perfect. Then you realise that of course Driver isn't wearing the mask to remain anonymous, he has stunt work to do! The two of them on the beach, those giant rubbery faces...loved Ron Perlman in this. The "you're not very good at this" line in particular! Yeah, at times its a bit heavy handed with its symbolism (the oasis at the end of the dry river for example) and the Scorpion and Frog line was a little cliché,

but this film felt like it belongs in the company of other greats like Taxi Driver and Scarface. Its not often you feel like you've just watched an instant classic, its this year's Wrestler for me. Plus, Ron Pearlman is in it for fucksake...worth the price of admission right thar!

5/5
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,663
    Saw "I melt with you" last night....fucking wow. This got some horrific reviews but I liked it. Unrealistic, yes but also great, I think at least.
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,347
    Spags wrote:
    Drive

So many wonderful moments in this film, it really is a masterpiece of visual storytelling! But my favourite bit has to be when

5/5

I didn't read your spoiler, but I wanna see this movie as well!

And I'm looking forward to the new Sean Penn movie "This must be the place" - looks and sounds quite as if it could be my movie of the year! Here's the trailer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uouVfsjlwY
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,302
    Saw Ides of March last week. It was decent. That is all :lol:

Last night saw Nightbreed for the first time. That was pretty cool. Loved the make-up on everyone.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,547
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Saw "I melt with you" last night....fucking wow. This got some horrific reviews but I liked it. Unrealistic, yes but also great, I think at least.

just read about it...sounds pretty cool
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,663
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

just read about it...sounds pretty cool

Yeah, it is a pretty crazy movie. LIke I said in the Phillies thread, it is going to be love it or hate it. I was on the edge of my seat/couch the entire second half of the movie, and fucking loved it. I read one review of a person who loved it and was one of their favorite movies, then read another where they said it was the worst movie they have ever seen. No matter what, it is an intense movie and I highly recommend it.
  • Options
    oona leftoona left Posts: 1,672
    Just saw "Anonymous" last night.

I know the theory that Shakespeare did not write the works attributed to him is not new by any means, but I'm nowhere near educated on the sides of the argument. Interesting stuff.

I'm currently five pages deep in a debate on the topic on the IMDG forum :geek:. There are experts coming out of the woodwork to get in edgewise!
  • Options
    by Spags » 03 Nov 2011 11:04

Drive

100% agree with this. Also go see "The Skin I live In" and "Senna", both are amazing as well.

Watched "Sarah Palin-You Betcha" last week, wasn't overly impressed.

I've also recently watched "Submarine", I really enjoyed it.
    Dublin, Ireland, The Point, Jun 01, 2000
    Dublin, Ireland, The Point, Aug 23, 2006
    London, England, Wembley Arena, Jun 18, 2007
    London, UK, O2 Arena, Aug 18, 2009
    Manchester, M.E.N. Arena, June 20, 2012
    Manchester, M.E.N. Arena, June 21, 2012
    Leeds, First Direct Arena, July 8, 2014

Eddie
    London, Hammersmith Apollo, 30 July, 2012
    London, Hammersmith Apollo, 31 July, 2012
    London, Hammersmith Apollo, June 7, 2017

No need to be void,... or save up on life... You got to spend it all.....
  • Options
    Gremlins

This was on TV last night so I ordered a pizza and got all comfy on the sofa ready for a dose of warm and fuzzy nostalgia. I watched this film a lot when I was young, yet unlike Ghostbusters which was released around the same time it'd been a good ten years or so since I gave the little green monsters my full attention. The dark humour was the most familiar, the mother's fight in the kitchen, part creepy with great use of that Bing Crosby song and part mischievously fun as she dispatches her foes in domestically inventive ways. The balance is masterful, one minute i'm on the edge of my seat as she approaches a wriggling Christmas stocking, the next laughing as she's attacked by her Christmas tree. The film uses Christmas iconography practically at every step, yet somehow it walks a line between being cliche, moments like the roaring log fire ablaze with a recently decapitated gremlin head so playfully subtle yet wonderfully powerful. Then you have Kate's tragic story about her father, just heartbreaking.

The puppetry, however, completely took me by surprise this time around. The scene in the bar, as Kate tries to survive by serving a constant supply of beer and peanuts, goes on longer than the narrative requires but you get as caught up in it as the film makers. Whether Joe Dante was trying to play on the fears of small town America with all those black stereotypes or the comedy was 'just of it's time', I must confess to never having given it much thought before. All those dark sunglasses, breakdancing and fried chicken eating stick out like a sore thumb now though. Pushing that aside, the characterisation of Stripe as the leader sat gambling with his hideous gangster moll by his side is joyous. And the stop motion scene of hundreds of gremlins charging forward from the darkness can't help but make you pine for the old days.

I never really understood why there were so many scenes of the inventor father making his way back from a convention, they sort of work as a calm juxtaposition to the chaos erupting back home but certainly fail to bring any additional laughs. That's about as critical as I can get with this one, magical Christmas anarchy that is as thrilling as it has ever been.

5/5
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Just watched Terry Gilliam's 'The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus'.

Very visually arresting fantasy film set in London about a traveling theater troupe that takes it's audience members into a parallel universe. Tom Waits plays the devil, and Johnny Depp also stars.

A perfect film to watch on Christmas Day I reckon.
  • Options
    Suzi78Suzi78 Posts: 362
    Saw The Skin I Live In, by Almodovar, a few days ago. If you like his movies, you will love this one. It has all the normal Almodovar stuff such as sex, revenge and murder but perhaps a bit more perverse than usual. I loved it :) Highly recommend it.

Here's the trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EolQSTTTpI4
    How I choose to feel is how I am
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Byrnzie wrote:

Very visually arresting fantasy film set in London about a traveling theater troupe that takes it's audience members into a parallel universe. Tom Waits plays the devil, and Johnny Depp also stars.

That was the one Heath Ledger started before he died, right?
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:

That was the one Heath Ledger started before he died, right?

Yeah, as explained in Wiki: 'Johnny Depp, Colin Farrell, and Jude Law were cast to replace Heath Ledger in certain scenes, portraying the new idea of transformed versions of Ledger's character travelling through magical realms, while the footage shot with Ledger would remain in the film as his character's "real-world" appearance.'

I'm not normally into this sort of film but I really enjoyed it. I recommend it.

It reminded me a bit of the Peter Ackroyd novel 'House of Doctor Dee' which blends both modern day London and Elizabethan London with all of it's magical and occult overtones. It's also pretty funny.
  • Options
    oona left wrote:

"Bad Teacher" this week. Extra funny, because I have a friend who's a teacher, and I get a little tired of the "Woe is us, teachers work harder than anyone else in the world" shtick.

I'm a teacher and saw Bad Teacher with a few teacher friends. We were really looking forward to it, but were disappointed. We thought most of the funny parts were shown in the previews and we thought Justin Timberlake was super annoying. Also, it wasn't quite as relatable as we had hoped. Jason Segal was hilarious, though.

Horrible Bosses, on the other hand, was HILARIOUS!! Everybody was great in that movie. I just recently found out that Horrible Bosses was co-written by Freaks & Geeks alum, John Francis Daley (Sam Weir). He also had a small part - one of Jason Bateman's co-workers, I believe. Judd Apatow and Paul Feig were great mentors for those Freaks & Geeks.
  • Options
    Sorry folks. I thought Paranormal Craptivity 3 was idiotic. Just like the first two. Not scary at all. Thank goodness I am over the nausea from watching it. On a very good note, I did get to see my friends. :mrgreen:

no desire to see it. Saw the first one which was ok. Wasn't scared at all and didn't bother with the other two.

I only seen (by rental) the first two last weekend, as my friend wanted to see the 3rd, or should I say The Turd, tonight. Not horror or thriller at all. Thank goodness I had a coupon. :lol:

Which one is out in the theatre now? The third or fourth?

My friend thought the first 2-3 were lame and not scary, but was scared out of her mind for the most recent one.
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:

I thought the movie was visually astounding, but it was definitely slow-moving. I actually fell asleep and that never happens. I never would have believed that a movie with Johnny Depp, Heath Ledger, Jude Law, and Colin Farrell would ever do that to me. :lol:

It was so long ago that I saw it, but there was one "section" in particular that I really liked. I just can't remember if it was the one with Depp, Law, or Farrell. :)
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    I too have been fortune enough to see it and its an absolute joy. I watched it on the small screen 3 at the Odeon Covent Garden in London. The cinema was almost full (though very few seats to fill to be honest) and the audience was made up mostly of women in their late 20s/early 30s, quite a few American voices.

What a marvellous film, it kept me awake through the night as my mind replayed the story, wrestling with it. I’d gone for some Thai food afterwards with my girlfriend (now wife) and discussed what we liked and didn’t like about it. We both agreed that the locations used were some of our favourite parts of London and that having this bizarre story play out in such familiar settings was ingenious - Homebase car park was as hilarious as the old powerstation was haunting. The horrible people staggering blindly amongst such beautiful architecture all too familiar. And then of course the amazing contrast as Terry lets you inside his imagination. I’d not felt a directors presence so strongly in film as this one for quite some time. We talked about the frustrated dreamer telling tales that should be playing out in every cinema on the planet, yet there we were in the only cinema we could find showing it in the capital. I explained that despite not ever wanting to be a father myself I could relate to the character of Dr Parnassus as he reminded me a lot of her father. He’s fear of losing his daughter, the way he sees her intended (me) as a foolish boy. I tried to bring up the idea that the majority of the films events were complete fantasy and that the ’real’ story of the old man at the films conclusion was more than likely an utterly tragic tale of addiction, gambling, backing the wrong suitor , loneliness and mortality - she laughed at me and said I was reading too much into it (which is one of the reasons why I love her). It’s a brilliant ensemble, so refreshing to see actors all working so wonderfully together as a group in a time of star driven vehicles - in this film everybody shines. However, I must say that the scenes between Plummer and Waits were perfect, the understanding that passed between them during each encounter was great to soak up. I had the sense that this was going to be unlike anything I had seen before and even then my expectations were blown out of the water.
    Post edited by Spags on
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    Spags wrote:
    Drive

Spoiler:
    Driver puts on the stuntman face mask and goes after Nino, he looks through the window and I was thinking he would go in and kill him right there and then with anonymity (despite still wearing that signature jacket). What he sees inside is such a brilliantly captured moment as Nino is falling backwards in hysterics, no doubt at his own joke, while, presumably his woman, turns away in bored disgust. I just thought that bit was perfect. Then you realise that of course Driver isn't wearing the mask to remain anonymous, he has stunt work to do! The two of them on the beach, those giant rubbery faces...loved Ron Perlman in this. The "you're not very good at this" line in particular! Yeah, at times its a bit heavy handed with its symbolism (the oasis at the end of the dry river for example) and the Scorpion and Frog line was a little cliché,

but this film felt like it belongs in the company of other greats like Taxi Driver and Scarface. Its not often you feel like you've just watched an instant classic, its this year's Wrestler for me. Plus, Ron Pearlman is in it for fucksake...worth the price of admission right thar!

5/5

Just watched this. Very cool movie. I need to watch 'The Driver' again to see if there are any similarities. I remember watching The Driver at the cinema when I was a kid - long time ago.
    Anyway, at first I was a bit put off by the moodiness and silence of the main character, along with the eerie soundtrack, as it just seemed a tad over the top. But overall I enjoyed the film. The scenes of violence were pretty impressive. Seeing the mobsters getting their asses handed to 'em on a plate was pretty cool. Definitely one of the best films I've seen this year.
  • Options
    Then last night we rented Horrible Bosses. Fucking hilarious. Jennifer Aniston is the SHIT.

Just watched this. Very funny film.

I loved this line:

Police Officer: "The traffic cam caught this car fleeing from the scene of a crime tonight. Would you know anything about that?"
    Nick: "I don't know why it would do that?"
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Martha Marcy May Marlene
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/martha_ ... y_marlene/

Upon first watch - I felt this film was missing something. An interesting story about a woman who leaves a cult and tries to find refuge with her sister (and only family) and the subsequent deconstruction of her told through flashbacks. Really enjoyed Sarah Paulson's performance in this (older sister) and the film exudes anxiety however, the film really came down to watching her unravel. Perhaps there was more to it than that - but that's what I got out of it. There are subtexts of cult life, relationship with her sister and the husband of the sister but they are minor plot points. Anyhoo - if you like watching people unravel ... this one might be for you.
  • Options
    EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    finally saw 'Bowling for Columbine' last night. The statistics he presented were shocking, if valid. And the scenes from the school cameras were disturbing. The fear aspect/consumerism that was discussed regarding American culture was interesting.
  • Options
    Was suppose to see this on Friday at the local indie theater near me
    the+warriors+cover.jpg
    (I haven't seen it in ages when it was on tv a awhile Back), but the film got shipped to another city :x and instead we got Friday the 13 (original UK version) which wasn't too bad, I was just looking forward to The Warriors. I think they are gonna get it a few weerks though :)

thinking of seeing Ides Of March tomorrow

They played it last night. Awesome movie :thumbup:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    Tonight, we watched The Tree of Life. It was like nothing I had ever seen before. The visuals were stunning and the acting was great!
    My last message to you ~

You're right. You are a monster! You are sick! Get help!

At least, I am not a fuck-up! A lying fuck-up!
  • Options
    Saw Puss In Boots yesterday. It was ok, had some lol moments. Lots of kids in the theater and they seemed to enjoy it as well as the parents.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Then last night we rented Horrible Bosses. Fucking hilarious. Jennifer Aniston is the SHIT.

Just watched this. Very funny film.

I loved this line:

Police Officer: "The traffic cam caught this car fleeing from the scene of a crime tonight. Would you know anything about that?"
    Nick: "I don't know why it would do that?"

and the picture from the traffic cam was priceless!

I was really hoping for a wardrobe malfunction when Aniston had her shirt open. obviously lots of two sided tape was used.
    :(
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    Martha Marcy May Marlene
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/martha_ ... y_marlene/

Upon first watch - I felt this film was missing something. An interesting story about a woman who leaves a cult and tries to find refuge with her sister (and only family) and the subsequent deconstruction of her told through flashbacks. Really enjoyed Sarah Paulson's performance in this (older sister) and the film exudes anxiety however, the film really came down to watching her unravel. Perhaps there was more to it than that - but that's what I got out of it. There are subtexts of cult life, relationship with her sister and the husband of the sister but they are minor plot points. Anyhoo - if you like watching people unravel ... this one might be for you.

'
    what about elizabeth olsen? this was the major hit at sundance this year, and has been getting major oscar buzz ever since.
  • Options
    what about elizabeth olsen? this was the major hit at sundance this year, and has been getting major oscar buzz ever since.

she was good but sometimes i think the subject matter plays a factor in the overall performance ... i think it's easier to shine when playing a victim (see halle berry in monsters ball and charlize theron in monster) ... part of the problem could just be that the elements i found lacking in the film did not help ...

i found sarah paulson's performance to be better ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:

she was good but sometimes i think the subject matter plays a factor in the overall performance ... i think it's easier to shine when playing a victim (see halle berry in monsters ball and charlize theron in monster) ... part of the problem could just be that the elements i found lacking in the film did not help ...

i found sarah paulson's performance to be better ...

well, i havent seen the film yet, but make a point to catch any of the films screened at sundance. i find elizabeth olsen facinating. she seems to be the polar opposite of her sisters, and seems to feel films are art rather than vehicles for fame and stardom. the wait for sundance films to make it to my hometown is always agonizingly long. sundance was in febuary and i was hyped up for seeing Martha. Its now obviously mid november. i think alot of people, rightly or wrongly view the olsen twins as attention seeking fame hungry stars. its interesting and piqued my interest, that elizabeth, seems to not want the spotlight, and seems driven by scripts and movies and characters that are interesting, and challenging, as opposed to some blockbuster film. as i said i havent seen the film yet, so who knows.

John hawkes was brilliant in last years sundance hit Winters Bone, which by the way was unbelievably underrated and i hear this year he is just as creepy as the cult leader guy.

i disagree that its easier to play a victim. im sure if you were to say to charlize, "you had it easy playing eileen wuornos in monster" you'd get her angry and she's understandably walk away. plus, to suggest she played a victim in that role is a cloudy issue. after all wuornos was a convicted serial killer who was executed. i always viewed her as a victim myself, but tons of people didnt. i found the monster performance masterful myself.
  • Options
    well, i havent seen the film yet, but make a point to catch any of the films screened at sundance. i find elizabeth olsen facinating. she seems to be the polar opposite of her sisters, and seems to feel films are art rather than vehicles for fame and stardom. the wait for sundance films to make it to my hometown is always agonizingly long. sundance was in febuary and i was hyped up for seeing Martha. Its now obviously mid november. i think alot of people, rightly or wrongly view the olsen twins as attention seeking fame hungry stars. its interesting and piqued my interest, that elizabeth, seems to not want the spotlight, and seems driven by scripts and movies and characters that are interesting, and challenging, as opposed to some blockbuster film. as i said i havent seen the film yet, so who knows.

John hawkes was brilliant in last years sundance hit Winters Bone, which by the way was unbelievably underrated and i hear this year he is just as creepy as the cult leader guy.

i disagree that its easier to play a victim. im sure if you were to say to charlize, "you had it easy playing eileen wuornos in monster" you'd get her angry and she's understandably walk away. plus, to suggest she played a victim in that role is a cloudy issue. after all wuornos was a convicted serial killer who was executed. i always viewed her as a victim myself, but tons of people didnt. i found the monster performance masterful myself.

1. i didn't know she was related to those twins ... haha
    2. john hawkes is awesome ... his scenes had the most anxiety ...
    3. well ... how many times have we commended charlize theron's performance since? ... i think the audience already empathizes ... i tend to view the performance as it relates to the overall film ...

anyhoo - let me know your thoughts after you see it ...