Options

Movie Threads?

Comments

• Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    Release Me wrote:
    True Grit
    Great movie, and I usually hate westers. Jeff Daniels was incredible, Matt Damon not so much. And too much killing of horses too. Recommended though, lots of funny moments, tear jerker at the end.

You mean Jeff Bridges, and yes he was really good. Matt Damon had a smaller role, but I didn't think he was bad. I recommend it too, but I didn't cry at the end - only E.T. can do that to me, still!
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    Going to watch Barneys Version tonight. Adore Paul Giamatti....so hopeful.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,279
    Bad Teacher: B, good for a few laughs.
    Super8: C+, was OK.. I expected more, but then again Spielberg and Abrams havent impressed me in a long time.

Super 8 a C+??? WOW! I would say at least a B+.

Guess you were saving your good grades for the Green Lantern :lol:

I'm actually looking forward to the new Transformers movie. I wasn't at first cuz i hated the second one, but this one looks promising.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    Bad Teacher: B, good for a few laughs.
    Super8: C+, was OK.. I expected more, but then again Spielberg and Abrams havent impressed me in a long time.

Super 8 a C+??? WOW! I would say at least a B+.

Guess you were saving your good grades for the Green Lantern :lol:

I'm actually looking forward to the new Transformers movie. I wasn't at first cuz i hated the second one, but this one looks promising.

haha, well, I actually liked Super8 quite a bit but thought it was just too slow to get going. And there was just something missing with developing the characters.

NO to Green Lantern. Absolutely not. :evil: :mrgreen:

But, I hate to say that I was somewhat impressed by the trailer to Transformers 3 (just for the graphics and action).. of course, it was on an IMAX screen too.. :geek:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    threefish10threefish10 Posts: 7,392
    Super 8 was not good at all, it was pretty much cloverfield set in the late 70s early 80s. Same storyline almost, same deal with the slow reveal of what it actually was/looked like. only difference was it wasn't shot documentary style.

Plus we then have to sit through cloverfield 2 next year as well. The guy is a one trick pony.

Transformers 3 looks all explosions no story. But I guess if that's your sort of thing you'll love it.
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980
  • Options
    Release MeRelease Me Posts: 337
    Macgruber - I laughed throughout. Best sex scene since Team America.
  • Options
    Release Me wrote:

Really? Must be an American thing, I thought it was terrible. it's one joke was the whole "cunth" thing and it wasn't funny the 1st time, let alone the 10,000th
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,650
    Release Me wrote:

Really? Must be an American thing, I thought it was terrible. it's one joke was the whole "cunth" thing and it wasn't funny the 1st time, let alone the 10,000th

couldn't get past the first 10 minutes.

Cedar Rapids is the funniest movie i've seen this year.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,588
    Fasttimes at Ridge Mount High is on TV right now............so CLASSIC
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    BLACK35 wrote:
    Fasttimes at Ridge Mount High is on TV right now............so CLASSIC
    Definitely a classic.

"Well make up your mind. Is he gonna shit or is he gonna kill us?"
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,279
    Caught Tree Of Life earlier today. That was not quite what I expected. Very difficult to follow. Lot of camera movement from one period to the next. The beginning was very weird. Slight spoiler. For like the first quarter of the movie they showed how the universe was made. It was shot very well, but took awhile to figure out what was going on. Not too much acting, but it worked. Ending was kinda weird also. Lot of symbolism in the movie which for the most part people (including myself) didn't get. Few people walked out in the beginning.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Caught Tree Of Life earlier today. That was not quite what I expected. Very difficult to follow. Lot of camera movement from one period to the next. The beginning was very weird. Slight spoiler. For like the first quarter of the movie they showed how the universe was made. It was shot very well, but took awhile to figure out what was going on. Not too much acting, but it worked. Ending was kinda weird also. Lot of symbolism in the movie which for the most part people (including myself) didn't get. Few people walked out in the beginning.

I'm looking forward to seeing this.

Decent interview with Brad Pitt here on this movie: http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/jun ... NTCMP=SRCH
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    Super 8 was not good at all, it was pretty much cloverfield set in the late 70s early 80s. Same storyline almost, same deal with the slow reveal of what it actually was/looked like. only difference was it wasn't shot documentary style.

Plus we then have to sit through cloverfield 2 next year as well. The guy is a one trick pony.

Transformers 3 looks all explosions no story. But I guess if that's your sort of thing you'll love it.
    I liked transformers. Hated the first 2
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,501
    vanilla sky. for some reason i have never understood what the hell was happening in this movie. guess i never cared too much to stay interested. it looks cool though.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Tree of Life

There must be like 6 pages of dialogue in this entire movie that spans about 140 mins.

This is not going to be for everyone. It will take some digestion of thoughts to appreciate this film and the existential journey the protagonist undergoes.
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Transformers 3 is one of the worst movies i've seen in a long time ... my standards are low ... proof in that i liked the first 2 ... but this one is beyond horrible ... the acting weak, the story stupid beyond belief, the effects underwhelming, and the dramatic scenes feel like someone wants to sell you swamp land by showing you pictures of puppies and babies ...

do not go ... it is crap crap crap ...
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    polaris_x wrote:
    Transformers 3 is one of the worst movies i've seen in a long time ... my standards are low ... proof in that i liked the first 2 ... but this one is beyond horrible ... the acting weak, the story stupid beyond belief, the effects underwhelming, and the dramatic scenes feel like someone wants to sell you swamp land by showing you pictures of puppies and babies ...

do not go ... it is crap crap crap ...

Really? oh well.. I didnt like either of the first two movies, but I saw the trailer for this one and thought the effects were awesome.. But then again it was just the trailer.

then again, this was the last movie I saw:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U87zVkIXNI0
    :lol:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    I haven't watched "The Apartment" in a while...until last night. It's a perfect movie. Jack Lemon is great, of course, but Shirley MacLaine shines throughout the entire film. I still can't believe Lemon and MacLaine didn't win Oscar's for their roles.

It's obviously one of Billy Wilder's best movies. It's a masterpiece.

I might have to go back and watch "Some Like It Hot" again.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    disgusted that so many go out and see these big budget, over-advertised spielberg and bay movies

they keep making shitty plotless movies cause shitty plotless movies keep making $30mil+ at the box office

don't go out of morbid curiosity if you hated the first 2 movies in a trilogy! (transformers) or if you know its gonna be fucking stupid (cowboys and aliens)

we've gotta come to a consensus as a culture to stop rewarding BULLSHIT with our money... demand a smarter, more rewarding breed of entertainment
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Los Pollos Hermanos Posts: 4,957
    we've gotta come to a consensus as a culture to stop rewarding BULLSHIT with our money... demand a smarter, more rewarding breed of entertainment

This is why I stay home from the movies and watch quality TV shows like "Big Brother", "America's Got Talent", "Love In The Wild", "Jersey Shore", etc. ;) Our "entertainment" is in the crapper. :(

We wonder why our country is in such trouble. It's because we are a society of dullards who would rather numb their minds than expand them.
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    disgusted that so many go out and see these big budget, over-advertised spielberg and bay movies

they keep making shitty plotless movies cause shitty plotless movies keep making $30mil+ at the box office

don't go out of morbid curiosity if you hated the first 2 movies in a trilogy! (transformers) or if you know its gonna be fucking stupid (cowboys and aliens)

people seeing movies disgusts you. that is a bit much.
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    I always seem to stumble across the really odd independent films, but I like them better the the over hyped 'block-buster' films. Saw one the other night (at 2AM) Teenage Dirtbag. One of those movies that really makes you 'think' and come to your own conclusions about the outcome...the main plot is popular cheerleader becomes close to the 'outcast troublemaker' boy...the ending is not all wine and roses (which I hate), but the one thing that I really liked, is that it brings you back to the 'simpler times', the kids weren't all over their cell phones, texting etc, reminded me of being in high school back in the early 90s...remember passing notes in class? ;)

It's on On Demand STARZ right now...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    megatron wrote:

i get what he's saying, and i can somewhat agree. i checked the all time box office earners top ten list and i only saw 2 of those films at the cinema, and another 3 on dvd sometime after.

i think it's disgusting that someone paid half a billion dollars to make a movie like avatar. that's fucking crazy, imagine the other uses that money could have been put to instead of 2 hours of light entertainment. and then people spent like 2 billion at the box office to see it??? that shit could have cured every disease in the world. and the amount actors get paid to be in said shitty movies. crazy.

and don't get me started on what sports stars make, then they piss and moan and want more and we get lock outs. no one is worth $15 mil a year to play 82 games of basketball.

oh yeah, and the movie business still like to say internet piracy is killing them, i call bullshit.
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    megatron wrote:

i get what he's saying, and i can somewhat agree. i checked the all time box office earners top ten list and i only saw 2 of those films at the cinema, and another 3 on dvd sometime after.

i think it's disgusting that someone paid half a billion dollars to make a movie like avatar. that's fucking crazy, imagine the other uses that money could have been put to instead of 2 hours of light entertainment. and then people spent like 2 billion at the box office to see it??? that shit could have cured every disease in the world. and the amount actors get paid to be in said shitty movies. crazy.

and don't get me started on what sports stars make, then they piss and moan and want more and we get lock outs. no one is worth $15 mil a year to play 82 games of basketball.

oh yeah, and the movie business still like to say internet piracy is killing them, i call bullshit.
    thanks, well put. it really doesn't bother me on a personal/individual level... see whatever you want... do whatever you want

as soon as you expand that to a cultural/societal level though, that one person buying into the prescribed collective hollywood imagination multiplies to generations of people that will never come CLOSE to replicating the art of the generations before them. It offends me as an artist and a writer. Sorry if it comes off hyperbolic -- admittedly it may be. These soapbox rants are a fun way to pass the time.
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    pinkbutterflypinkbutterfly Posts: 1,391
    I'm looking forward to "Crazy, Stupid, Love" ~ with Ryan Gosling *purr*.
    My last message to you ~

You're right. You are a monster! You are sick! Get help!

At least, I am not a fuck-up! A lying fuck-up!
  • Options

Damn right.

I've started watching some acclaimed Chinese movies of late, and also intend to get into some Bollywood films. I have a list lined up ready to download courtesy of some Indian friends.

Hollywood now is mostly just a load of old bollocks.
  • Options
    megatron wrote:

He's not talking about all movies. Maybe you missed the part where he stated that we 'stop rewarding BULLSHIT with our money'?

There are movies, and then there's the endless production line of multi-million $$, computer-generated wank-fests that attract popcorn-munching retards who sit blinking at the big screen and feeling grateful to the powers-that-be that 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone' was renamed 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' in the U.S, because fuck knows what a philosopher is?! Burrp!
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Los Pollos Hermanos Posts: 4,957
    Byrnzie wrote:
    He's not talking about all movies. Maybe you missed the part where he stated that we 'stop rewarding BULLSHIT with our money'?

There are movies, and then there's the endless production line of multi-million $$, computer-generated wank-fests that attract popcorn-munching retards who sit blinking at the big screen and feeling grateful to the powers-that-be that 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone' was renamed 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' in the U.S, because fuck knows what a philosopher is?! Burrp!

:lol::clap::clap::clap:
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Anyone see Horrible Bosses yet?
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,135
    Saw the new Tom Hanks movie today, Larry Crowne, which is about a man who gets downsized from a bad job he's good at because he never went to college but spent 20 years in the Navy. So he goes to college for the first time and while some of it might not be believable, it was decent.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."