Movie Threads?

Comments

• threefish10threefish10 Posts: 7,392
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    Saw Paul last night for my birthday.

CRAP!

2 stars out of 5

really??? i thought it was a million times better then i was expecting. maybe you had expectations going in, i had barely heard anything about it or even seen a trailer when i watched it so i wasn't expecting much and was pleasantry surprised.
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    Saw Paul last night for my birthday.

CRAP!

2 stars out of 5

really??? i thought it was a million times better then i was expecting. maybe you had expectations going in, i had barely heard anything about it or even seen a trailer when i watched it so i wasn't expecting much and was pleasantry surprised.

I'd heard Margaret and David gave it 4 stars (didn't actually see the review though) and also seen the trailer.

It just wasn't funny enough....and the jokes that were lol funny I'd already seen on the trailer. The last half hour or so was good....from about when they dressed him up like a cowboy.

Very disappointing. I'm not a huge fan of those two guys either....they're okay....but I think they're overrated.

And Seth Rogan's voice as Paul didn't really do it for me.
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • threefish10threefish10 Posts: 7,392
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    And Seth Rogan's voice as Paul didn't really do it for me.

i thought he was great as paul.

i'm looking forward to Your Highness with danny Mcbride, love that dude.
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980
  • SpagsSpags Posts: 3,017
    Unstoppable - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0477080/

I know its unlikely, but 'does Denzil Washington always play characters called Frank?' - was the question I was asking myself as he and the guy from Star Trek went on a rather nice train journey together. Another question soon followed as an unmanned train carrying explosive chemicals is accidentally set in motion towards them - 'does the guy from My Name Is Earl always play complete idiots?' Thankfully I wasn't allowed to dwell on this for long as what followed actually managed to get my heart racing and put me very much on the edge of my seat. While the news footage was a touch heavy handed and some of the characters were a little too colourful, it didn't detract from the fantastic stunt work and the uneasy feeling of inevitable destruction. Scott, on the whole, holds back on the frenetic editing much to the films credit, but is still as subtle in his set ups as a train wreck. Some lovely shots, like the engineer and his young conductor walking through the yard gave a great sense of the scale of these trains, and some nice moments between the two leads, along with wonderfully realised action raised this above what I would have expected from a Tony Scott film.

4/5
    Nature drunk and High
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Did anyone see "No Direction Home"? Watched it yesterday. It was really good, learning about Dylan's early days.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    All Good Things

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1175709/c

pretty crazy you can make a movie about a real life event that essentially incriminates someone who's never been convicted ...

in any case - a really dark movie ... overall, didn't quite work for me as it seemed to be caught between being a suspense piece and a character-driven piece ..
  • ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    We watched "No Strings Attached". Had some great jokes in it...the best was the PJ song reference! Made the whole movie worthwhile...Even Flow will have yet another meaning to me. :mrgreen:
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • Release MeRelease Me Posts: 337
    polaris_x wrote:
    All Good Things

pretty crazy you can make a movie about a real life event that essentially incriminates someone who's never been convicted ...

in any case - a really dark movie ... overall, didn't quite work for me as it seemed to be caught between being a suspense piece and a character-driven piece ..
    we walked into a scene being shot in the streets of NYC after one of the Garden shows! there's your pearl jam tie in reference of the day...
    Release Me wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    All Good Things

we walked into a scene being shot in the streets of NYC after one of the Garden shows! there's your pearl jam tie in reference of the day...

NICE!!! So are you in the movie then?
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Newch91 wrote:
    Did anyone see "No Direction Home"? Watched it yesterday. It was really good, learning about Dylan's early days.

Yeah, it's a great documentary.
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    polaris_x wrote:
    ahhh ... i'm guessing about 3 million litres of fake blood was used in this film! ... hahaha

It makes the battle scene in Braveheart look like a Vicars tea party.
    Release Me wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    All Good Things

haha, unfortunately no. we just saw a scene being shot. lots of older cars being driven down a street, we watched them do a couple takes. pretty neat experience though, this all happening around midnight.
    Release Me wrote:
    haha, unfortunately no. we just saw a scene being shot. lots of older cars being driven down a street, we watched them do a couple takes. pretty neat experience though, this all happening around midnight.

That's awesome. :mrgreen: They film a lot of movies in our town too. They were here at the beginning of April for Silent Hill. They just happen to get the eerie snow that falls like ashes too. :mrgreen: It's fascinating to experience parts of a movie being filmed and then watching it in the completed form. Movies are awesome. :mrgreen:
  • HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    ... the news footage was a touch heavy handed...

4/5

Agreed, but what do you expect. Even in a fictional story Fox is awful for news.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    That's awesome. :mrgreen: They film a lot of movies in our town too. They were here at the beginning of April for Silent Hill. They just happen to get the eerie snow that falls like ashes too. :mrgreen: It's fascinating to experience parts of a movie being filmed and then watching it in the completed form. Movies are awesome. :mrgreen:
    yes, they are. :) I was living in New Orleans when they were filming Runaway Jury with Gene Hackman and John Cusack, and I watched them film a scene in front of the courthouse right around the corner from my apartment, and then I saw it in the movie. It was awesome! Aside from that, I watched them film a Leann Rimes video from my balcony (they were doing it in the alley below my apt). Those were about my only two brushes with that. :lol:
  • SpagsSpags Posts: 3,017
    HeavyHands wrote:
    ... the news footage was a touch heavy handed...

4/5

Agreed, but what do you expect. Even in a fictional story Fox is awful for news.

We get the sensible-ish BBC News on this side of the pond dont cha know... :D
    Nature drunk and High
    Blue Valentine...um yeah, not what I thought it was going to be...I found it continuously frustrating watching people repeat old patterns because they were safe...so the ending was fitting in my eyes. I probably would not recommend it though.
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    Blue Valentine...um yeah, not what I thought it was going to be...I found it continuously frustrating watching people repeat old patterns because they were safe...so the ending was fitting in my eyes. I probably would not recommend it though.

I thought "Blue Valentine" was excellent. The acting, directing, and editing were some of the best I saw from last year's crop. Yes it's deeply depressing but I haven't seen such an uncompromisingly raw and honest film in a looooooong time. I wish I hadn't have watched it the same weekend that I finally got around to watching "127 Hours" though. Man those were 2 brutal movies to go back to back on such as celebratory weekend as this (with the announcement coming and all). I need to go watch The Muppet Movie or something now.
    Harry Potter Deathly Hallows part one yesterday. Kept up with all the movies. I swear it takes me an hour just to catch up and remember everything, and I ask my wife throughout who characters are because there are just so frikkin many of them and I forget. Good movie, mine as well see the last one in theaters. Will have to break out my elbows to get through all the kids in the theater..
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,747
    I know people, including myself, are looking forward to the Hangover II. but I am also looking forward to Kung Fu Panda 2. Anyone else? The first one was on tv the other night and I forgot how much i enjoyed it.ccThis one is getting good reviews also. I'll probably check both movies sometime this weekend.

Also anyone see Tree Of Life? Heard that is getting outstanding reviews. Not sure if it is playing near me yet, i'll have to look it up.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Make sure you see your movies in a regal cinema. :P

Still waiting on hobo :(
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,747
    81 wrote:

I always do :thumbup:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    Heisenberg wrote:

I thought "Blue Valentine" was excellent. The acting, directing, and editing were some of the best I saw from last year's crop. Yes it's deeply depressing but I haven't seen such an uncompromisingly raw and honest film in a looooooong time. I wish I hadn't have watched it the same weekend that I finally got around to watching "127 Hours" though. Man those were 2 brutal movies to go back to back on such as celebratory weekend as this (with the announcement coming and all). I need to go watch The Muppet Movie or something now.

:lol::lol: I love Muppets ;)

I agree that the movie was very well done. The honesty was excellent, I agree there also. I wouldn't recommend it because it would depress people who don't understand co-dependency. Where when I seen it, it made me want to act, to put things right. That's why I feel the end was very fitting in my eyes. Sorry if I sounded like I was slamming it. I wasn't. :oops:
  • IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    Dave Eh wrote:
    Watched The Fountain with Hugh Jackman last week. Holy crapoli that was bizarre. Very very good though.

Do you understand what happened to him at the end with the tree?... :D heheheh, He found himself by means of which he should not of used.
    :ugeek:
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    Heisenberg wrote:

:lol::lol: I love Muppets ;)

I agree that the movie was very well done. The honesty was excellent, I agree there also. I wouldn't recommend it because it would depress people who don't understand co-dependency. Where when I seen it, it made me want to act, to put things right. That's why I feel the end was very fitting in my eyes. Sorry if I sounded like I was slamming it. I wasn't. :oops:

Oh I didn't think you were slamming it, I was just voicing my opinion of it since I had literally just watched it before I read your post...and yes, The Muppets are the best ;)
    I know people, including myself, are looking forward to the Hangover II. but I am also looking forward to Kung Fu Panda 2. Anyone else? The first one was on tv the other night and I forgot how much i enjoyed it.ccThis one is getting good reviews also. I'll probably check both movies sometime this weekend.

Also anyone see Tree Of Life? Heard that is getting outstanding reviews. Not sure if it is playing near me yet, i'll have to look it up.

definitely looking forward to kung fu panda 2!!

tree of life has a limited release in the US this weekend ... assuming you are in the states ...
    81 wrote:

I always do :thumbup:

as a small time shareholder, i thank you. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    We haven't been for months and I can't even remember the last film we saw. Is this a pretty poor time for movies? Just about everything I read about has as much appeal as slamming my nuts in a revolving door. Recommendations please.
    nuffingman wrote:
    We haven't been for months and I can't even remember the last film we saw. Is this a pretty poor time for movies? Just about everything I read about has as much appeal as slamming my nuts in a revolving door. Recommendations please.

1st qtr of the year was aweful for movies. may has seen a pick up, but still none really appeal to me. i'm not really looking forward to anything this season.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    1st qtr of the year was aweful for movies. may has seen a pick up, but still none really appeal to me. i'm not really looking forward to anything this season.

Q1 definitely awful ... thor was actually pretty good ... the only films i'm looking forward to are HP7-2 and tree of life ...