Options

Movie Threads?

Comments

• Options
    threefish10threefish10 Posts: 7,392
    Just finished Rise of the planet of the apes. Very good and enjoyable. It was a little hard to buy franco as a scientist though. Seen him in too many stoner roles. But he is a good actor.
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980
  • Options
    pinkbutterflypinkbutterfly Posts: 1,391
    Ever see American Splendor?

Yes, and Paul Giamatti was awesome, as usual. How he did not receive an Academy Award nomination for "American Splendor" nor "Sideways" is beyond me. And, why someone like George Clooney
    (a so-so actor; good in comedic roles IMO) has an Oscar ~ I just don't understand!
    My last message to you ~

You're right. You are a monster! You are sick! Get help!

At least, I am not a fuck-up! A lying fuck-up!
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560

Yes, and Paul Giamatti was awesome, as usual. How he did not receive an Academy Award nomination for "American Splendor" nor "Sideways" is beyond me. And, why someone like George Clooney
    (a so-so actor; good in comedic roles IMO) has an Oscar ~ I just don't understand!
    He was great in "Michael Clayton".
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    pinkbutterflypinkbutterfly Posts: 1,391
    Newch91 wrote:

He was great in "Michael Clayton".

Yeah, it was one of his better performances. I guess, the point I am making is I feel Paul Giamatti is a much better actor, yet he has been snubbed twice.
    My last message to you ~

You're right. You are a monster! You are sick! Get help!

At least, I am not a fuck-up! A lying fuck-up!
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    Just watched The Score with Brando, Deniro and Norton - really good flick, with a brilliant ending. Ed Norton playing the retarded janitor was funny shit.

"Okay, bye bye."
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    this may be a dumb question, but anyone see Lords of Dogtown? It's on my "always wanted to see it, but always forgot to look for it when I got to the movie store" list.

yes, we enjoyed it. HTH :mrgreen:

HTH?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Crazy Stupid Love

aside from the fact i was like the only guy in the auditorium ... literally ... it was a pretty good movie - well reviewed on rottentomatoes and flixter ... smart, tender and funny ...

excellent performances by steve carell and whoever the babysitter was ... and my pick right now for best supporting actor - ryan gosling ... we don't consider these kind of roles as oscar worthy performances but he was absolutely brilliant in this movie ...
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    I was thinking the other day about a movie I saw a few years ago called Last Night. It's a low budget Canadian flick about the end of the world. But it's not one of those cheesy apocolyptic movies. Pretty much everyone knows that the world is going to end at midnight and it follows a few different stories of how people are dealing with it. I highly recommend it - it's one of those that has you thinking for days afterward.
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    Forrest Gump as a horror movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paXCXnaiUlA
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    this may be a dumb question, but anyone see Lords of Dogtown? It's on my "always wanted to see it, but always forgot to look for it when I got to the movie store" list.

yes, we enjoyed it. HTH :mrgreen:

HTH?

:oops: it means "Hope this helps" sorry, residual from an old board... :oops:
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • Options
    oona leftoona left Posts: 1,672
    I saw "Operation: Endgame" last week.

I really liked it! Witty dialogue: it gets me every time.

Rob Corddry, Zack Galifianakis, Ellen Barker. What's not to love??
  • Options
    "The Rum Diary" out October 28th. Can't wait! Might have to read the book again, for the 6th time. I'm surprised there's no trailer out yet for the movie.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    "The Rum Diary" out October 28th. Can't wait! Might have to read the book again, for the 6th time. I'm surprised there's no trailer out yet for the movie.
    Holy crap, i didnt know about this! Thanks :D
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    Holy crap, i didnt know about this! Thanks :D
    You're welcome. :D
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    The Help http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_help/

Saw this last night - enjoyed it quite a bit ... the cast in this is phenomenal with the weakest probably being the lead (although i'm becoming a fan cuz it's back to back movies she's been in: emma stone) ... although some might think the context of the movie was a long time ago - the racial components and effects of ignorance and policies from decades ago still reverberate today ... the film is marketed as light and funny which for the most part - it is ...
  • Options
    Just finished watching Hard Core Logo, starring......yep, you guessed it......Hugh Dillon. It's a mockumentary about a Canadian punk band called Hard Core Logo who get together after 5 years for a reunion club tour. It's awesome.

Joey Ramone even makes a brief cameo.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    Limitless.
    Awesome idea, but something was missing.
    And (semi spoiler).....if he's so damn smart, why did he make such stupid decisions? too many flaws in this flick, but a great idea.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    Limitless.
    And (semi spoiler).....if he's so damn smart, why did he make such stupid decisions? too many flaws in this flick, but a great idea.

Yeah something was missing! Perhaps you will enjoy the book more?

The fact that he was so 'smart' and kept making stupid decisions is what makes the concept of everything so good, no matter how 'smart' or how quick someones mind works, if you are a greedy selfish ass and have a big ego. You will fall.

That is the constant throughout much of Mankind.

By the end, when he was able to 'understand'...He was able to see potentiality etc etc etc.
  • Options
    Idris wrote:
    Limitless.

The fact that he was so 'smart' and kept making stupid decisions is what makes the concept of everything so good, no matter how 'smart' or how quick someones mind works, if you are a greedy selfish ass and have a big ego. You will fall.

By the end, when he was able to 'understand'...He was able to see potentiality etc etc etc.

yeah, I guess thats a good point. I was wondering if there was a book that preceded the movie. I thought it would be much easier to portray in writing.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    gf wanted to go see fright night. i said only if we did a double feature with rise of the apes.

we are staying home. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Idris wrote:
    Limitless.

yeah, I guess thats a good point. I was wondering if there was a book that preceded the movie. I thought it would be much easier to portray in writing.

here you go, 'The Dark Fields'

http://books.google.com/books/about/The ... aiHAAACAAJ

books are often better :D
  • Options
    Idris wrote:
    Idris wrote:

here you go, 'The Dark Fields'

http://books.google.com/books/about/The ... aiHAAACAAJ

books are often better :D

Interesting, thanks! I looked it up on Amazon, and the book is going for $100-$500!!! wtf? haha, amybe they describe how to manufacture the drug in the book? :D
  • Options
    500?? hehehe imagine, the pages laced with NZT...after your read the page, you eat it. :lol:
  • Options
    "Tommy Boy" is such a classic.
  • Options
    EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    saw The Help yesterday..theater was packed... I cried through 60% of it.
  • Options
    shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,179
    Limitless.
    And (semi spoiler).....if he's so damn smart, why did he make such stupid decisions? too many flaws in this flick, but a great idea.[/quote

The Wifey and I watched it last night and we were entertained. B.Cooper did a pretty good job as well (BTW he is moving up my wife's list). I tell you what, they did a better job with this movie than they did with the movie Jumper. Which I thought was a great idea for a flick but they ruined it. But I give Limitless a thumbs up and Jumper the finger.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,536
    anyone see that 30 minutes or less movie? looks funny
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Newch91 wrote:
    "Tommy Boy" is such a classic.

if i wanted a kiss, i would have asked your mother
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    oona leftoona left Posts: 1,672

I saw it on Friday. It was hilarious!!!

Note, if you don't like Danny McBride's style of humor, you might not like this movie at all.
  • Options
    oona left wrote:

I saw it on Friday. It was hilarious!!!

Note, if you don't like Danny McBride's style of humor, you might not like this movie at all.

I guess thats why I thought it sucked. I didnt even know anything he said in this movie was intended as humor, to be honest...just my opinion though.. ;)

I fell like if you saw the trailer, you saw the whole movie. Nothing special to see.