Options

Movie Threads?

Comments

• Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    81 wrote:
    Machete was a huge disappointment

I saw it this weekend. I was kind of bummed that it was not as bloody and as I had hoped. It was fun, but not awesome fun.

Can't wait for "Hobo with a Shotgun" though. THAT looks like what I was hoping Machete was going to be.

Machete had way too much political crap for my taste. such is life.

Never heard of hobo until just now. trailer and story looks cool. i will be seeing it.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I liked Machete but my expectations were low. it seemed like it was thrown together very fast. It definately reminded me of the old blaxpositions like almost like it was a mexican version of this. Which I thought was a very cool.
    some very funny moments and I enjoyed it although I was not blown away by it.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    just got back from seeing "the town"

pretty good flick

no huge twists or anything but still worth seeing

really love jeremy renner and jon hamm... hope to see alot more of them soon
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,533
    Going to be watching Robinhood today, the one with Russell Crowe. Is it as good as the trailers make it out to be? I like the whole Robinhood story, so kinda looking forward to it.
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    BLACK35 wrote:
    Going to be watching Robinhood today, the one with Russell Crowe. Is it as good as the trailers make it out to be? I like the whole Robinhood story, so kinda looking forward to it.

it was average at best
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    watched inception last night.

i was ok, nothing special. the concept was interesting.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:

Thanks for the review on inception, that sounds kinda like what I was thinking about that one, just might wait for the Tv on that one.
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    BLACK35 wrote:
    81 wrote:

Thanks for the review on inception, that sounds kinda like what I was thinking about that one, just might wait for the Tv on that one.
    eh... if you got a cheapo movie theater near you that plays movies right before they come out on rental it'd be worth seeing and hearing it on the big screen

the scale of the movie is definitely something special
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    BLACK35 wrote:
    81 wrote:

eh... if you got a cheapo movie theater near you that plays movies right before they come out on rental it'd be worth seeing and hearing it on the big screen

the scale of the movie is definitely something special

I dont't know about that, it still looks like it would be a waste of $5
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    81 wrote:

This is only the second movie where I walked out of the cinema half way through the film.

Actually, I left after about 45 minutes.

Completely pointless Hollywood wank-fest.
  • Options
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    just got back from seeing "the town"

pretty good flick

no huge twists or anything but still worth seeing

really love jeremy renner and jon hamm... hope to see alot more of them soon
    We saw The Town last night and thought it was excellent!
  • Options
    81 wrote:

it was ok, nothing special. the concept was interesting.

It was just a rip-off of the David Cronenberg movie 'Videodrome'.
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Byrnzie wrote:

Those both look good.
  • Options
    Inception is a great film but it's getting a lot of attention due to people, on a mass scale, who wouldn't normally go to see an intelligent film are rating it so high.

I think it proves that you can make a film with a major Hollywood blockbuster budget without dumbing it down.

Should be seen in the cinema. If you get the chance do so before it stops playing. I may go for a second viewing tomorrow myself.
  • Options
    Inception is a great film but it's getting a lot of attention due to people, on a mass scale, who wouldn't normally go to see an intelligent film are rating it so high.

I think it proves that you can make a film with a major Hollywood blockbuster budget without dumbing it down.

Should be seen in the cinema. If you get the chance do so before it stops playing. I may go for a second viewing tomorrow myself.

My advice to anyone thinking of paying to watch this movie at a cinema is 'don't waste your money'. If you think you need to see it then download it instead.

Either that, or just watch David Cronenberg's films 'Videodrome' and/or 'eXistenZ' instead, as they both came before Inception, both roughly follow the same concept, and are better.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Byrnzie wrote:
    81 wrote:

it was ok, nothing special. the concept was interesting.

It was just a rip-off of the David Cronenberg movie 'Videodrome'.

OMG that mvoie gave me a headache.

yesterday i saw diary of a wimpy kid. it balanced out my viewing last week of easy a. i think ive got the US school system sussed out now. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:

My advice to anyone thinking of paying to watch this movie at a cinema is 'don't waste your money'. If you think you need to see it then download it instead.

Either that, or just watch David Cronenberg's films 'Videodrome' and/or 'eXistenZ' instead, as they both came before Inception, both roughly follow the same concept, and are better.

You only saw 45 mins :?
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:

We thoroughly enjoyed Inception. :D One of the best this year.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,364

nice. i have not had the chance to see it yet. but everyone keeps telling me the same thing about seeing it in the theater. seems to be a must. my friend saw it for 2nd time the other night.

chris nolan's a genius
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

nice. i have not had the chance to see it yet. but everyone keeps telling me the same thing about seeing it in the theater. seems to be a must. my friend saw it for 2nd time the other night.

chris nolan's a genius

Watched it a second time yesterday myself
  • Options

Yeah. I figured there was no reason to continue sitting there looking at the screen in front of me as I had absolutely no interest in what was gonna happen to any of the one-dimensional characters in the film. The concept of the movie wasn't clever, or original, and the movie just reeked of something that had had a ton of money chucked at it. I figured I'd get more out of watching two flies fucking.

Only the second time I've walked out in the middle of a film.
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Post edited by Byrnzie on
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,448
    Just saw a great French comedy entitled "The Valet" on IFC (Indep. Film Channel in the U.S.)

Great quirky humor!
  • Options
    Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    Just watch Scream for the 2nd time in my life. Last time was when it came out. Great great horror movie.
    I'll be back
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,058
    Saw Town last night, it was real good! The plot was decent and the characters were enjoyable to watch.Theater was packed too, which was kinda surprising since the movie's been out for about a month.

FenwayFaithful have u seen this yet? You should scene with Fenway Park in it at the end. :)
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Saw Town last night, it was real good! The plot was decent and the characters were enjoyable to watch.Theater was packed too, which was kinda surprising since the movie's been out for about a month.

FenwayFaithful have u seen this yet? You should scene with Fenway Park in it at the end. :)

at one stage in the book doug muses that rolling fenway would be sacrilege. :think:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Just watched this. It's a good one:

God Grew Tired of Us

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32IxyvoSZKo

From Wiki:

God Grew Tired of Us is a 2006 documentary film about three of the "Lost Boys of Sudan", a group of some 25,000 young men who have fled the wars in Sudan since the 1980s, and their experiences as they move to the United States. The film was written and directed by Christopher Dillon Quinn. Tom Walker was a co-director.

God Grew Tired Of Us chronicles the arduous journey of three young Southern Sudanese men, John Bul Dau, Daniel Pach and Panther Bior, to the United States where they strive for a brighter future. As young boys in the 1980s, they had walked a thousand miles to escape their war-ridden homeland, and then had to make another arduous journey to escape Ethiopia.

During the five years they walked in search of safety, thousands died from starvation, dehydration, bomb raids and genocidal murder. Finally, they found relative safety in Kenya’s Kakuma refugee camp. In 2001, 3,600 lost boys, including John, Daniel and Panther, were invited by the United States to live in America. Assisted by Catholic Charities International, the three boys uproot their lives and once again embark on a journey, leaving behind thousands of other refugees who, in the course of their traumatic odyssey, have become their adopted extended family. They must now learn to adapt to the shock of being thrust into the economically intense culture of the United States, learning new customs, adapting to new and strange foods, coping with the ordeal of getting, and keeping a job, or multiple jobs, while never forgetting the loved ones they left behind in Africa. They dedicate themselves to doing whatever they can to help those they left behind in Kakuma, and to discovering the fate of their parents and family.

God Grew Tired Of Us was produced, written and directed by Christopher Quinn, executive produced by Brad Pitt and narrated by Nicole Kidman. The title of the documentary is a quote from John Dau discussing the despair he and other Sudanese felt during the civil war.
  • Options

+1. We also thought it was really good.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,058
    Saw Due Date tonight. worth it for a few good laughs.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly