Options

The new 'I f***in' feeel like talking about 'Riot Act' thread.

Comments

• Options
    darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    Yeah, I first got into Pearl Jam the same year that Riot Act was released. Been a die-hard fan ever since...
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Options
    ElkaElka Posts: 43
    But I decided to give it a listen. It kicked my fucking ass.

Is it just me or does it seem like that's been happening a lot lately? I think it's amazing that more and more people are finally coming around to it.

I think that No Code my favorite album, but the only problem I've had with it is that it doesn't flow very well. No Pearl Jam album flows like Riot Act.

Very true. No Code has some of PJ's greatest individual songs, but the overall flow and feel of it doesn't come close to what they achieved on Riot Act.
  • Options
    my favourite three albums are;

no code
    riot act
    binaural
    2003: Melbourne 1
    2006: Verona, Vienna, Zagreb, Melbourne 1-2-3, Adelaide 1-2
    2009: Melbourne
    2010: Belfast
    2012: Werchter
    2014: Melbourne, Adelaide, EV Melb 1-2
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Elka wrote:
    Is it just me or does it seem like that's been happening a lot lately? I think it's amazing that more and more people are finally coming around to it.

Wierd, maybe. Awesome, yes.
    Elka wrote:
    Very true. No Code has some of PJ's greatest individual songs, but the overall flow and feel of it doesn't come close to what they achieved on Riot Act.

I actually think the flow on No Code is also amazing. I've been listening to it a lot lately and it has easily and seamlessly moved into position as my second favorite Pearl Jam album (behind Riot Act, obviously).
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    Riot Act is a solid album with some classic lines imo

'Sometimes life don't leave you alone'

great CD and I just ordered the LP today - yay for re-stocking the Goods Section!
    9/4/05 Calgary
  • Options
    Riot Act is much better than Avocado in my opinion, it sounds much more original and offbeat and I love that.

That said, Green Disease is an atrocious song IMO, I can't stand it.

The songs that really rock in my book are Ghost, Thumbing, You Are, Save You, and ALL OR NONE. All or None is such a great closer to an album, the only one comparable I can think of is Vs. (Indifference).

But seriously, All or None is better than any song on Avocado, and the lyrics are incredible. All or None is really Riot Act's saving grace (and Riot Act is still much better than Binaural).
    Current Favorite PJ Studio Albums:
    1) Vitalogy
    2) Yield
    3) Ten
    4) No Code
    5) Riot Act
    6) Vs.
    7) Pearl Jam
    8) Binaural
  • Options
    jammin1586 wrote:
    That said, Green Disease is an atrocious song IMO, I can't stand it.

I wonder. Do you not like GD due to a similar style to the Cure? Is this an underlying theme of I hate the Cure.

BTW, I like the song, but with Pearl Jam it's hard for me to dislike anything they release.
    "Underneath this smile lies everything - all my hopes, anger, pride and shame."
  • Options
    jammin1586 wrote:
    All or None is really Riot Act's saving grace.

Not sure I'd call any ONE song off Riot Act its saving grace. One of the things that always struck me and that I always loved about Riot Act is how EVERY song has its place and feels essential to the album, even if it's not one of your favorites. I think that's why it's at its best when listened to as a whole from start to finish and you can hear how really tied together all those songs are.
  • Options
    eclecticeclectic Posts: 244
    LBC,Save You,Thumbing,Green Disease and especially I AM MINE are all ace IMO.I Am Mine,along with GTF is one of their very best crescendo style songs.3 songs off this album would be in my top 20 PJ songs,so while its not their best album its not their worst either.For having the most memorable standout songs I guess Yield and Ten(really shit production,improved on RVM) are the best.IMO the albums,which both have good songs on,don't get me wrong,but have the least memorable ones are Vitalogy and No Code(which is their worst album,if their is such a thing.Only Off he Goes would get into my top 20 tracks,and even thats borderline).
    'All the rusted signs,we ignore throughout our lives,
    Choosing the shiny ones instead'

Reading 06 - Torino 06 - Wembley 07
  • Options
    I love this album :D.

(This was a special bump from Puerto Rico ;))
  • Options
    My RA vinyl came in the mail yesterday :D:D. Its sooo pretty!
  • Options
    Well, I'm glad to see that boys have been playing a couple songs from this album the last few nights. Europe deserves a lot of it since they didn't get a tour for this album.
  • Options
    As this was the first album of PJ's to come out after 9/11, I think its a good album to listen to in order to commemerate the day.
  • Options
    EvvoEvvo Posts: 193
    Put RA in for the first time in a while yesterday. I got into PJ a lot last year, and bought all the albums in quick succession, and yet Riot Act was the one I kept coming back to. I can remember reading thru the booklet when eating my cereal after getting home from school, and I looked at the picture on the inside of the cd cover and I thought "I want to be in that room!". That room just looks so warm and welcoming.
    I neglected Vitalogy, Ten and Binaural in favour of RA. There are some great songs on here. Thumbing, I Am Mine, You Are, LBC, Can't Keep (what a gem!!), Save You and my personal favourite, All or None. The album has its filler, and Otherside and Down would have made great additions, but it is what it is and I love it for it. RIOT ACT BABY!!
    :)
  • Options
    iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    I used to listen to Riot Act nonstop for a few months after it came out. I listened to it so many times that I realized my CD was scratched a few weeks ago when I tried to listen to it...songs 2-4 are unlistenable...NOOOOO!!!
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Options
    iamica wrote:
    I used to listen to Riot Act nonstop for a few months after it came out. I listened to it so many times that I realized my CD was scratched a few weeks ago when I tried to listen to it...songs 2-4 are unlistenable...NOOOOO!!!

Time to buy a new one.
  • Options
    My LBC skips :( I feel like crying.
  • Options
    merlynmerlyn Posts: 179
    riot act not my fave, but the new album they're back baby
    champagne for my real friends & i'm a real pain for my sham friends.. ;)
  • Options
    Love the Paris setlist! Chock full o' Riot Act! Woohoooo!
  • Options
    yosi wrote:
    Love the Paris setlist! Chock full o' Riot Act! Woohoooo!

I thought my eyes were deceiving me. FIVE Riot Act songs?? That's gotta be a first since '03. I hope all you Paris people enjoyed it!
  • Options
    Evvo wrote:
    Put RA in for the first time in a while yesterday. I got into PJ a lot last year, and bought all the albums in quick succession, and yet Riot Act was the one I kept coming back to. I can remember reading thru the booklet when eating my cereal after getting home from school, and I looked at the picture on the inside of the cd cover and I thought "I want to be in that room!". That room just looks so warm and welcoming.
    I neglected Vitalogy, Ten and Binaural in favour of RA. There are some great songs on here. Thumbing, I Am Mine, You Are, LBC, Can't Keep (what a gem!!), Save You and my personal favourite, All or None. The album has its filler, and Otherside and Down would have made great additions, but it is what it is and I love it for it. RIOT ACT BABY!!
    :)

Nice!!! me too!! is the record that made me a fan!! such a great and underrated album!!
    Pearl Jam Mexico 2005, The greatest year ever!
    December 9, 10 - ESTA BIEN, ESTA BIEEEEEN!

www.myspace.com/clau_yellowled
  • Options
    Nice!!! me too!! is the record that made me a fan!! such a great and underrated album!!

This was the record that really brought me back into full swing. Well, that and the tour for this album. So FUCKING GOOD!
  • Options
    I know I am going to get hell for this, but I really think this ONE album sucked. There might be one song I liked if I can remember correctly but I never listen to it anymore. I tried so hard to get into it when it came out but never made a bond. And I have every single cd and single and VHS tape and DVD. I am a true true fan. When all my friends were turning on Vitalogy I stuck by them. One of my favorites by the way. But Riot Act and Binaural I passed on. Loved the new one by the way. Please don't give me too much hell, remember it is just MY oppinion and hey if you like it great. These guys rock and have been my favorite band since the grunge started. I am going to duck now!

:cool:
    vedderfan1
  • Options
    VEDDERFAN1 wrote:
    I know I am going to get hell for this, but I really think this ONE album sucked. There might be one song I liked if I can remember correctly but I never listen to it anymore. I tried so hard to get into it when it came out but never made a bond. And I have every single cd and single and VHS tape and DVD. I am a true true fan. When all my friends were turning on Vitalogy I stuck by them. One of my favorites by the way. But Riot Act and Binaural I passed on. Loved the new one by the way. Please don't give me too much hell, remember it is just MY oppinion and hey if you like it great. These guys rock and have been my favorite band since the grunge started. I am going to duck now!

I just think you're a jerk for posting in this thread. Its fine if you don't like Riot Act, I don't care (you just have not taste ;)). But its a really uncool thing to do, and bad etiquette, to come into a thread that's about sharing the love of an album, and bashing it. Please only post here if you have something positive to say about RA.

Riot Act is awesome.
  • Options
    Elka wrote:
    I thought my eyes were deceiving me. FIVE Riot Act songs?? That's gotta be a first since '03. I hope all you Paris people enjoyed it!

Also, check out the Balogna setlist! Four Riot Act songs! And Bushleaguer!!!

Also, Can't Keep was apparently played in tonights soundcheck!!! Lucky European bastards ;):D!!!
  • Options
    VEDDERFAN1 wrote:

Well if you really look at what you are saying, its not that the album sucked.
    It is that you wanted the band to stay the on the same course.
    Regardless how differant you think vitalogy, no code, or yield are, and that replies to everyone, is they still had all the elemnts of a pearl jam album, they had traditional grunge chord tuning, and eds folky slow sound , yes they have their moments of differance as opposed to ten and vs but you still know its them.
    Ed is very diferant on riot act and binaurul is a total differant sound and scheme.
    The reason i let some fans get away with riot act bashing is , the band and ed were not totally on the same page. Ed was hanging around with diferant people and really changing during this record, it was like he was looking for a more educated approach, when maybee deep down inside he was still the same ed, i dont know but the music has a more basic generic feel to it comppared to other albums, in which eds voice stood out a lil clearer.
    I guess a more less grunge approach than the others except for binaurul,
    I loved riot act, it was easy to listen too musically and maybee that was to get eds measages acroos easier, his words are easier to understand,.
    Progress is what you want in a band, you should not expect a band to go balls to the wall every record and produce emotional grunge/ pnuk tunes every record. It will hinder their songwriting ability.
    Binaurul is a great mix up for the band also, these 2 albums stand on their own musically and are a great change up.
    Avacodo is great too, but cmon it has more roots in it than a tree. Beside the last 2 songs this album is recycled pearl jam done supper classy, we needed this record aftert the last two, and it just proved how far they had grown on the last 2 records.
    Yes a lot of avocado sounds like old school, but the singing, harmonizing, drumming, timing overall product is crafted better, and i believe they ended up here from the last 2 records.
    IF Avacado came out after yield the band would have been acused of not progressing and staying stale.

Riot act and binaurul musically are great albums, just because they are not yield and avacodo does not make them suck it makes the fans that think that way narrowminded, and i dont mean that sarcastically, i have been listening to avacodo for 5 months straight, i can be very narrowminded at times, i just try my hardest to treat pealr jam like every other good band out there.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Options
    yosi wrote:
    I just think you're a jerk for posting in this thread. Its fine if you don't like Riot Act, I don't care (you just have not taste ;)). But its a really uncool thing to do, and bad etiquette, to come into a thread that's about sharing the love of an album, and bashing it. Please only post here if you have something positive to say about RA.

Riot Act is awesome.

Hey I knew I was going to catch hell but your just a bitch - mean. My oppion can be posted any where on this site because it is a site for oppions to be aired. So get the stick out of your ass and enjoy riot act if you feel it. I don't, but I wouldn't get on you for liking it. Man what an immature bitch you are.
    vedderfan1
  • Options
    Well if you really look at what you are saying, its not that the album sucked.
    It is that you wanted the band to stay the on the same course.
    Regardless how differant you think vitalogy, no code, or yield are, and that replies to everyone, is they still had all the elemnts of a pearl jam album, they had traditional grunge chord tuning, and eds folky slow sound , yes they have their moments of differance as opposed to ten and vs but you still know its them.
    Ed is very diferant on riot act and binaurul is a total differant sound and scheme.
    The reason i let some fans get away with riot act bashing is , the band and ed were not totally on the same page. Ed was hanging around with diferant people and really changing during this record, it was like he was looking for a more educated approach, when maybee deep down inside he was still the same ed, i dont know but he music has a more basic generic feel to it comppared to other albums, in which eds voice stood out a lil clearer.
    I guess a more less grunge approach than the others except for binaurul,
    I loved riot act, it was easy to listen too musically and maybee that was to get eds measages acroos easier, his words are easier to understand,.
    Progress is what you want in a band, you should not expect a band to go balls to the wall every record and produce emotional grunge/ pnuk tunes every record. It will hinder their songwriting ability.
    Binaurul is a great mix up for the band also, these 2 albums stand on their own musically and are a great change up.
    Avacodo is great too, but cmon it has more roots in it than a tree. Beside the last 2 songs this album is recycled pearl jam done supper classy, we neede this record aftert he last two, and it just proved how far they had grown on the last 2 recors.
    Yes a lot of avocado sounds like old school, but the singing, harmonizing, drumming, timing overall product is crafted better, and i believe they ended up here from the last 2 records.
    IF Avacado came out after yield the band would have ben acused of not progressing and staying stale.

Riot act and yield musically are great albums, just because they are not yield and avacodo does not make them suck it makes the fans that think that way narrowminded, and i dont mean that sarcastically, i have been listening to avacodo for 5 months straight, i can be very narrowminded at times, i just try my hardest to treat pealr jam like every other good band out there.
    Now this I can relate too. Good answer!
    vedderfan1
  • Options
    VEDDERFAN1 wrote:
    Now this I can relate too. Good answer!

you fucker you quoted me too quick go cange the last paragraph first sentence from yield to binaurul

riot act and binaurul could not not have sounded like yield

no more shows
  • Options
    VEDDERFAN1 wrote:
    Hey I knew I was going to catch hell but your just a bitch - mean. My oppion can be posted any where on this site because it is a site for oppions to be aired. So get the stick out of your ass and enjoy riot act if you feel it. I don't, but I wouldn't get on you for liking it. Man what an immature bitch you are.

no he is allright, he just feels it is his duty to defend riot act, it is easy to get like that on this website, look what i did to that dude in the no code post
    try ripping matt when im around, i go suicidal
    we love pealr jam, compare what he did to if you posted stuff like that in the yield thread
    wow
    you have needed my help in there.

riot act is good stuf, the whole fucking catolougue is good except for 1 or 2

no more shows