Options

The new 'I f***in' feeel like talking about 'Riot Act' thread.

Comments

• Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Dude I stood in your shoes forever, I was so into this album, after pj 8 I have gone more old school, or should I say mid school!

I give you props on supporting it though!

Yes I got riot act the night before it was due out!

Yes I blasted cropduster, but I blasted 1/2 full louder!

Oh, I definitely love mid-PJ, and all PJ for that matter. I just find that RA is my favorite. I also feel the need to give it props a lot because I find that few others will. But don't get me wrong, I definitely love the other stuff too. No Code is easily the album I'm into most after RA.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    ElkaElka Posts: 43
    yosi wrote:
    I also feel the need to give it props a lot because I find that few others will.

I can already see your 10,000th post. Yosi (in the year 2010): "Yep folks, bumping it again." :) Hopefully people will have come to their senses a little more by then.

Cheers to your 2000th!
  • Options
    Elka wrote:
    I can already see your 10,000th post. Yosi (in the year 2010): "Yep folks, bumping it again." :) Hopefully people will have come to their senses a little more by then.

Cheers to your 2000th!

I don't know if it'll take me that long to get to 10,000. But I will definitely continue bumping this thread until everyone gets it and comes to their senses ;).
  • Options
    yosi wrote:
    I don't know if it'll take me that long to get to 10,000. But I will definitely continue bumping this thread until everyone gets it and comes to their senses ;).

For the love of Riot Act, pace yourself. :)

Needless to say, I wish the album would have fared a little better on this tour. The song totals are pretty dismal:

Can't Keep - 0
    Save You - 5
    Love Boat Captain - 7
    Cropduster - 0
    Ghost - 0
    I Am Mine - 9
    Thumbing My Way - 1
    You Are - 3
    Get Right - 0
    Green Disease - 6
    Help Help - 0
    Bushleaguer - 2
    1/2 Full - 1
    Arc - 0
    All Or None - 0

Good thing I got a lot of '03 boots....
  • Options
    Yea, its too bad RA didn't fair a little better. However, I have pretty good hopes for Europe. Since those fans didn't get any RA tour, hopefully PJ will play RA and Avacado heavy shows, enough to make up for what went on here in the states.
  • Options
    yosi wrote:
    Yea, its too bad RA didn't fair a little better. However, I have pretty good hopes for Europe. Since those fans didn't get any RA tour, hopefully PJ will play RA and Avacado heavy shows, enough to make up for what went on here in the states.

yosi heres a tid bit

dave probably wouldnt have been able to hang on riot act
    so the album must be good
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Options
    yosi heres a tid bit

dave probably wouldnt have been able to hang on riot act
    so the album must be good

I have no idea what you're talking about, but the album does rock :D.
  • Options
    yosi wrote:
    I have no idea what you're talking about, but the album does rock :D.

cmon you cant read english

ill spell it out

dave could not hang on riot act
    meaning dave a
    so I am giving the album props because I like the drums on it

no more shows
  • Options
    cmon you cant read english

ill spell it out

dave could not hang on riot act
    meaning dave a
    so I am giving the album props because I like the drums on it

Oh. Its kind of a wierd way to give props to the album. Also, I've just never heard that phrase. But again, Riot Act does kick ass, and the drums are pretty good.
  • Options
    Matt's a great drummer, no doubt about it. But I actually would've been really curious to hear what Dave would have brought to an album like Riot Act. I think Matt's drumming blends seamlessly with Ed's vocals, while Dave's always felt in contrast to them. And it was that contrast I really liked. It definitely would've have been a different sounding album with Dave on drums. Interesting though.
  • Options
    Elka wrote:
    Matt's a great drummer, no doubt about it. But I actually would've been really curious to hear what Dave would have brought to an album like Riot Act. I think Matt's drumming blends seamlessly with Ed's vocals, while Dave's always felt in contrast to them. And it was that contrast I really liked. It definitely would've have been a different sounding album with Dave on drums. Interesting though.

Thats kind of how I felt when I first listened to Riot Act, I just thought Matt was fine, but that it didn't feel like anything special, and I'd just rather listen to Matt do stuff like he did on TotD. However, the more I listened, the more nuance I found Matt doing, and how strong the drums really were on the album. He really does some strong drumming on a couple of the songs.
  • Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    My buddy phoned from the record store yesterday and I will as of Saturday have a vinyl copy of Riot Act. I can't wait to Get Right with vinyl. Yes I do play the records.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    I dont know why I am even in this post, but I did leave a thought and it was talked about after, so I will shed some more light here because there was a very good point made.
    You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned contrast. Daves drums did that way to frequently, if you guys call that drumming ability, that is great, Im sure it can fall under that classification.
    My problem with Dave then becomes, I take him out of the good rock drummer, steady band drummer, that makes a bands sound flow more for what it is category.
    Drummers like Bohnam, Grohl, with Nirvana, Ian Paice with Purple. Also Carrey from Tool. These drummers all accent their bands sound and made the band stronger in all areas. Its not like I am saying they reinvented the wheel or anything like that they fit well.
    I felt Daves drumming was just to splashy live, when I was more interesed in Mikes leads, next I listended for the bands sound, with Ed, drums being off on their own just didnt do it for me all the time in pjs music. Sometimes yes, but not on more than half of their songs.
    When you take Dave out of that structered drummer category, where else do you put him, you put him with drummers who are more funkier, more solo oriented but, and this is what gets overlooked in every other post where Dave gets praised.
    Drummers like Mike Portnoy, Terry Bozzio, Simon Phillips, Stewart Copeland, Carter Buford, and even Lars in the old days. They are all over the place, lead their bands and do the stuff you guys praise Dave for, but 1 thing I hear constant in their drumming, is they do the stuff Matt, Jack, Grohl, all of these other decent drummers do steadily through their songs also. They stay within the foundation of the song, before the go off!! Its like you get a steady high hat, cymbols, your steady fill ins and snare timed perfectly, then they go and get all splashy in betwen and on top of the ryhtums.
    Rip me make fun of me do all that because thats what you guys do go ahead, but I was asked to listen to Daves drumming and I did alot of that with a friend, and then I listend to rush, dmb, dream theater, matt, ten, tool alot of differant drumming. Dave was half of what those guys were and none of what Matt and Jack were/are.
    Now it leads me to Right Act, one thing about non dave pj is alot of their songs repeat guitar rifs very steadily and carefully and basic. Songs Like bushleager, ghost, get right,cropduster you are, i am mine, its alomost like stone does theses rifes in sequence per the ryhtum of the song, similar to down on the upside from sg. I feel Daves drums would take that feel completely away, the songs would not get going in the way Ed and the band want them to. These guys pretty much tell Matt what they want and he delivers.
    I love bushleager, very basic but super fucking cool, brilliant is a good word for it. Dave would have been lost in that song , and I have a hard time beieving his all over the place drums would have fit with eds spoken words and stones repetitive rifs.
    STONE ONCE WAS quoteD WE WANTED BUZZCOCKS AND DAVE JUST NEVER COULD GET IT. Well one thing I learned thru Riot Act is Stone gets a very buzzcock sound going chord wise in these rythums I preach about. It has become a very important part of their sound.
    Pearl Jam has been making a living of of being very repetitve in their song writing, and you need steady tighter drums for that sound, would more crazier drums fit in with that music, yes but you would need the other parts nailed down very tight before he would go off drumming expeditons and change the flow, and this is what I say he is not capable of doing.
    I think Dave might have worked well in half full, cant keep,help help, these songs kind of just have their own element and the drums are looser.
    I also thing songs like thumbing, sleight of hand, all or none, rely on very steady drums.I feel this is where Matt is used beter. I know sleight of hand is on Binaurul before you assume I didnt. Matt accents eddies singing perfectly on thumbing, absolute perfection when ed starts that i recall the rope parts.

I dont think you would get the same feel from the band or ed on any of the last 5 albums and you are talking a lot of music.

Dave did great things with alive and evenflow and go and animal, those songs were great, but I just could not see the band writing music like that forever. Ed and stone would have grown board.
    Red Mosquito, of the girl, habbit,nothing as it seems, rival, ghost, bushleager, severed hand, marker, given to fly, green disease, mfc, thumbing, all or none, inside job, life wasted cocmtose brain of j, this is the writing I want to hear. I really can not see or hear dave on drums in any of those songs.

no more shows
  • Options
    Haha. Nowayimfaithful, that was one ridiculously long post :D. Just so you know this is a Riot Act love thread, not a bash Dave thread, but your opinion is cool here. And I agree, Matt is the best fit for PJ right now. But I'm glad other people are posting here ;). Riot Act needs all the support it can get.
    even flow? wrote:
    My buddy phoned from the record store yesterday and I will as of Saturday have a vinyl copy of Riot Act. I can't wait to Get Right with vinyl. Yes I do play the records.

Thats awesome. I'd love to get my hands on the RA vinyl. I keep kicking myself for not ordering it from the 10c when it was on the website, and now its gone.
  • Options
    I love riot act, its my fav out of all thier stuff. Interesting topic about matt and dave.
    06/23/2006 - Best night of my life.
    See yins in pittsburgh 2007
    Rock on steelers!

www.myspace.com/nickpc
  • Options
    yosi wrote:
    Haha. Nowayimfaithful, that was one ridiculously long post :D. Just so you know this is a Riot Act love thread, not a bash Dave thread, but your opinion is cool here. And I agree, Matt is the best fit for PJ right now. But I'm glad other people are posting here ;). Riot Act needs all the support it can get.

It is coming upon the weekend, I am happy. I did not bash dave there. Dave has his dent in what he has done with the band. When you talk riot act, I feel that is a great avenue to speak about the diferance in the drumming more constructively.

I am ver passionate about mid to later pearl jam.
    No code and yield are in mty heart.
    Loved Binaurul,
    Yes Roit Act is great too, I relate very well to every song on it. I also like the way it was recorded and produced, I think it is among the best in that category.
    I spent 3 years hammering that album away, it filled a large void Binaurul left, even though I loved that album I was expecting more pure rock.
    I think you get that on Riot Act, also they did experiminet alil on Riot act too.
    After the new album though, I have slightly moved on. But still will never forget the nights I spent with Riot Act.

Its like I have treated their albums like women. I remeber the times well spent. But do move on.
    Yield and no code just happen to be the twins that I keep sneeking around with on the side.

no more shows
  • Options
    yosi wrote:

It is coming upon the weekend, I am happy. I did not bash dave there. Dave has his dent in what he has done with the band. When you talk riot act, I feel that is a great avenue to speak about the diferance in the drumming more constructively.

I know I was just kidding around.
    Its like I have treated their albums like women. I remeber the times well spent. But do move on.
    Yield and no code just happen to be the twins that I keep sneeking around with on the side.

That is an awesome analogy. I guess for me its Riot Act is like my partner, but I have little thing with No Code on the side.
  • Options
    yosi wrote:

Thats awesome. I'd love to get my hands on the RA vinyl. I keep kicking myself for not ordering it from the 10c when it was on the website, and now its gone.
    I've got mine :D:D:D:D:D:D

love love love love love Riot Act.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    I've got mine :D:D:D:D:D:D

love love love love love Riot Act.

I may just have to check out ebay for one of these babies. Unless someone has an idea where else I could get one.
  • Options
    my favorite!!!
    Minneapolis 98, Chicago 00, San Fransisco 00, Fargo 03, Thunder Bay 05, St Paul 06 (night 2), Chicago 08 (EV) both nights

Don't it make you smile?
  • Options
    yosi wrote:
    I may just have to check out ebay for one of these babies. Unless someone has an idea where else I could get one.
    Not from me, I love my baby :D

Curiously enough, from some stroke of brilliance, a jammer a year or so ago sent me Ten and Riot Act on vinyl for free.

I think i sent him a couple burned copies of boots..

What a god among men that guy was.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    Not from me, I love my baby :D

Curiously enough, from some stroke of brilliance, a jammer a year or so ago sent me Ten and Riot Act on vinyl for free.

I think i sent him a couple burned copies of boots..

What a god among men that guy was.

That is awesome. Jammers are seriously just the coolest.
  • Options
    Just bought Riot Act Vinyl on Amazon!!! Wooohooo!
  • Options
    Just bumping some Riot Act love.
  • Options
    darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    It's GREAT to have a love for Riot Act thread. Was blasting it in my car all last week. I was glad to see that Bushleaguer got some play at shows on this current tour. One of my favs. on Riot Act, along with 1/2 Full, All or None, and Love Boat Captain.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Options
    prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    I've been on a Riot Act binge lately. Just like McDonald's, I'm lovin' it!
  • Options
    It's GREAT to have a love for Riot Act thread. Was blasting it in my car all last week. I was glad to see that Bushleaguer got some play at shows on this current tour. One of my favs. on Riot Act, along with 1/2 Full, All or None, and Love Boat Captain.

Yea, its too bad that Bushleaguer didn't get even more love on this tour. Its awesome live! Also, wish I could have seen them perform 1/2 Full, All or None, Cropduster, or Ghost. Oh well, maybe next tour.
  • Options
    I've been a Pearl Jam fan for about two years now, but I've done my best to stay away from Riot Act. I was riding in the car a few days ago and I pulled out a PJ CD at random and it happened to be Riot Act. I thought to myself "Aw man, Riot Act. I've never listened to it and everyone talks about how bad it is..." In fact, I normally skip the Riot Act tracks on the two post Riot Act boots I have. But I decided to give it a listen. It kicked my fucking ass.

The crescendo in Can't Keep into Save You into Love Boat Capitan was amazing. And it just sounded so good. Unfortunately my batteries died in my CD Player in the middle of I Am Mine. I listened to it all the way through last night and I can't stop listening to it. Overall, I think it's the best Pearl Jam record. The tone of the album, the lyrics, the track sequence. They all come together and merge like no other Pearl Jam album I've listened to. (I still haven't listened to but a handful of tracks off Binaural and have never finished listening to Yield.)

I've come to the conclusion that all Pearl Jam records have their own unique character and the band reinvents itself with each record, but I'm going to talk about some of the other records anyways. I think that No Code my favorite album, but the only problem I've had with it is that it doesn't flow very well. No Pearl Jam album flows like Riot Act.

Maybe when I give Yield and Binaural good listens I'll be able to form an opinon on which album I like the best, because they all speak to me... So yeah. But I did put on PJ after I finished listening to Riot Act and I wasn't that impressed by the new album. It sounded empty and hollow (A problem I've encountered when listening to Vs. now)
    "It is not the duty of the court to question the wisdom, or lack thereof, used by the Legislature in enacting laws of this state."
    --Alabama Supreme Court, Ex Parte T.D.T.
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    I've been a Pearl Jam fan for about two years now, but I've done my best to stay away from Riot Act. I was riding in the car a few days ago and I pulled out a PJ CD at random and it happened to be Riot Act. I thought to myself "Aw man, Riot Act. I've never listened to it and everyone talks about how bad it is..." In fact, I normally skip the Riot Act tracks on the two post Riot Act boots I have. But I decided to give it a listen. It kicked my fucking ass.

The crescendo in Get Right into Save You into Love Boat Capitan was amazing. And it just sounded so good. Unfortunately my batteries died in my CD Player in the middle of I Am Mine. I listened to it all the way through last night and I can't stop listening to it. Overall, I think it's the best Pearl Jam record. The tone of the album, the lyrics, the track sequence. They all come together and merge like no other Pearl Jam album I've listened to. (I still haven't listened to but a handful of tracks off Binaural and have never finished listening to Yield.)

I've come to the conclusion that all Pearl Jam records have their own unique character and the band reinvents itself with each record, but I'm going to talk about some of the other records anyways. I think that No Code my favorite album, but the only problem I've had with it is that it doesn't flow very well. No Pearl Jam album flows like Riot Act.

Maybe when I give Yield and Binaural good listens I'll be able to form an opinon on which album I like the best, because they all speak to me... So yeah. But I did put on PJ after I finished listening to Riot Act and I wasn't that impressed by the new album. It sounded empty and hollow (A problem I've encountered when listening to Vs. now)

so you just went by what everyone said about it??? no good man. RIOT ACT is awesome. its in my top eight.

GET RIGHT is nowhere near save you and LBC. you really dont know it do you?
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    Such an underated album is just really great, It have some of their greatest songs: I am mine (this song change my life), Love Boat Captain, Thumbing my way, all or none, just great songs in that record, actually is the album that make me a fan!! The first Pearl Jam album that I bought!! and since then I start to find out more about this amazing band!!! and I was hooked
    Pearl Jam Mexico 2005, The greatest year ever!
    December 9, 10 - ESTA BIEN, ESTA BIEEEEEN!

www.myspace.com/clau_yellowled