A GAME OF THRONES - Discussion Thread

Comments

• vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,108
    intodeep wrote:
    [That thread might be better for your question since your post drops some big time spoilers nice and big spoiler tag but it would suck if someone someone reads that and doesn't want to be spoiled.

Good point. Will you edit your post to delete my original comment? I'm doing the same to mine. Don't want to be a spoiler! :)
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
    2023-08-31 Wrigley 2
    2023-09-15 Fenway 1
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,548
    I thought tonights episode was easily the weakest of the season thus far.
    yes..not much moving to this episode,just watch it
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Pamela0222Pamela0222 Posts: 1,544
    I guess you need to get through the slow moving episodes to get to the good stuff!
    The thing I like most about time is that it's not real. It's all in the head. Sure, it's a useful trick to use if you want to meet someone at a specific place in the universe and have tea or coffee- but that's all it is- a trick. There is no such thing as the past. It exists only in the memory. There is no such thing as the future. It exists only in our imagination. If our watches were truly accurate, the only thing they would ever say is "Now". That's what time it is. It's "Now". - Damien Echols
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,279
    Pamela0222 wrote:
    I guess you need to get through the slow moving episodes to get to the good stuff!
    So true. I think everyone knows shit is about to go down, so everything else seems a bit...slow.

The waiting drove me mad! :D
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I just try to remember that the main character is the realm.

It's not any one story it's how all these different people interact and affect other's lives.

What i love abotu the show is every character GRRM wrote has so much depth. So many stories could be written about them. The show gives us more glimpeses into people like Margery, Renley, and even Yoren that we did not get before.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    GRRM has commented that Renly is in fact gay. So if you werent sure from all then hints in the book, he made it plane by telling fans Renly is gay.
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    GRRM has commented that Renly is in fact gay. So if you werent sure from all then hints in the book, he made it plane by telling fans Renly is gay.

I don't remember reading that Renly WAS gay, but it remember the implication.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    It ends up being pretty obvious in the books, the problem is you can't really portray it in the show because it is a lot of little pieces that are put together through other people's thoughts.

It is not enough for a visual medium to hint at the things that his character does.

I like the choice they made, here.
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,894
    mca47 wrote:
    Pamela0222 wrote:
    So true. I think everyone knows shit is about to go down, so everything else seems a bit...slow.

The waiting drove me mad! :D

yeah, it is about to hit the fan. It is going to be great.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    Can I just say that the woman playing Brienne is PERFECT!!! Perfect!!! I actually jumped off of my couch when she took her helm off I was so excited! :lol:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    Margaery can STAY!!!!! :thumbup:
  • Pamela0222Pamela0222 Posts: 1,544
    Heisenberg wrote:

:fp:
    The thing I like most about time is that it's not real. It's all in the head. Sure, it's a useful trick to use if you want to meet someone at a specific place in the universe and have tea or coffee- but that's all it is- a trick. There is no such thing as the past. It exists only in the memory. There is no such thing as the future. It exists only in our imagination. If our watches were truly accurate, the only thing they would ever say is "Now". That's what time it is. It's "Now". - Damien Echols
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    Pamela0222 wrote:
    Heisenberg wrote:

:fp:

:lol::lol::lol:
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Can I just say that the woman playing Brienne is PERFECT!!! Perfect!!! I actually jumped off of my couch when she took her helm off I was so excited! :lol:
    I was worried about her. I think you are right though she is pretty awesome.

They seem to either have her on stilts or used some "hobbitry" wizardry though because the actress is only 6'2 and she look more like 7'2. she seems perfect fro the role though.

Natalie Dormer as Margery is a fantastic castign too 8-)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • shepshep Posts: 5,759
    Mamasan23 wrote:

Heisenberg wrote:

I really need the first round of the hockey playoffs to end... between the playoffs, a dance with dragons, and in-laws visiting I haven't had the chance to watch any of the new season yet... I need to get involved in this discussion...

Interesting piece of info... I picked up on the hints, obviously, but the books never really made it clear for me... I just kind of assumed he was making sexual advances on Magaery and the Knight of Flowers... :roll: ... getting a brother-sister 3-way. ;)
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
    intodeep wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    I was worried about her. I think you are right though she is pretty awesome.

They seem to either have her on stilts or used some "hobbitry" wizardry though because the actress is only 6'2 and she look more like 7'2. she seems perfect fro the role though.

Natalie Dormer as Margery is a fantastic castign too 8-)

I had the same thought, she was towering over everyone and was walking kind of funny...
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    I just wanted to say how awesome Sophie Turner is as Sansa. The scene at the dinner table is really good. Also love how they are establishing Mercella (sp?? joffrey's younger sister) and tommen.

I especially love how when asked if tommen would be happy if they were to kill sansa's brother rob and he says he wouldn't like that much at all. Very true to the books for him.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Had to duck out for longer than expected due to work obligations, so I just spent a fair amout of time catching up with this discussion.

This is my favorite quote of the thread:
    intodeep wrote:
    I was sad when Yoren died in the books and I was sad here as well he was a bad ass. I like how he went all Borimir on their ass after he got shot with a crossbow.

I am totally stealing that quote to use at work. "If you do that to me, I will go all Borimir on your ass."

Still savoring every minute of the audiobook, which is a FANTASTIC way to experience GoT.

The narrator is Roy Dotrice. He is simply amazing.

I'm up to the point where Mirri Maz Duur tells Daenerys about her baby.

I think I have just 2 hours left. :( But... I already downloaded A Clash of Kings to listen to the second GoT is done. :D

Now I have to decide if I want to forge ahead with the audiobooks, or delay them so that I experience the TV series first. I'm leaning toward the former.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Now I have to decide if I want to forge ahead with the audiobooks, or delay them so that I experience the TV series first. I'm leaning toward the former.

do not forge ahead ... unless you can somehow string it along for another decade ... :lol:

you will be left utterly frustrated at the end of ADWD waiting for the next book ... i would not recommend it to anyone ... although on the good side - you can join the "have read all the books" thread ... :lol:
    polaris_x wrote:

do not forge ahead ... unless you can somehow string it along for another decade ... :lol:

you will be left utterly frustrated at the end of ADWD waiting for the next book ... i would not recommend it to anyone ... although on the good side - you can join the "have read all the books" thread ... :lol:

Hmmm, something to consider.

But, I have to acknowledge my utter inability to deny myself instant gratification.

And, misery does love company, no?

:lol:
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
    Just found this on Wikipedia, which as you know is the Source Of All Truth.

Roy Dotrice is the reader of the Audible.com books I downloaded. I praised him mightily a few posts back, he's really outstanding.

Check this out:

In June 2010, it was confirmed that Roy Dotrice would be playing the role of Grand Maester Pycelle in the HBO series Game of Thrones, an adaptation of George R. R. Martin's book series, A Song of Ice and Fire. Dotrice had previously recorded the audio versions of the first three books in the series and worked with Martin on Beauty and the Beast.[3] However, Dotrice later had to withdraw from the show for medical reasons, and Julian Glover was cast in his place.[4] Dotrice's relationship with the series didn't end there, though; shortly after filming for the second season began, it was confirmed that he would be playing Pyromancer Hallyne.
    Hmmm, something to consider.

But, I have to acknowledge my utter inability to deny myself instant gratification.

And, misery does love company, no?

yes! ... misery does love company!! .. :lol::lol:
  • shepshep Posts: 5,759
    polaris_x wrote:

This would have been nice to know BEFORE I got 300 pages into ADWD...

Not that it would have stopped me... :lol:
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
    shep wrote:

there are ample warnings in this thread!! ... haha ...
    intodeep wrote:
    I was sad when Yoren died in the books and I was sad here as well he was a bad ass. I like how he went all Borimir on their ass after he got shot with a crossbow.

I am totally stealing that quote to use at work. "If you do that to me, I will go all Borimir on your ass."

Still savoring every minute of the audiobook, which is a FANTASTIC way to experience GoT.

:D Just don't go borimir on me please.

I think you should go ahead. It does change watchign the show. But at the same time i still look forward to the show. After this year you'll have soem time to catch up and he show will be a reminder of how much you enjoy the book. I think it is just important to keep in mind they are two different representations and for the sake of TV tehre are going to be changes.

Some i've been fine with. some have irritated and caused nerd rage but I look forwad to every sunday night even though i know pretty much what is going to happen.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    shep wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

:lol: My thoughts exactly!
    intodeep wrote:

I think you should go ahead. It does change watchign the show. But at the same time i still look forward to the show. After this year you'll have soem time to catch up and he show will be a reminder of how much you enjoy the book. I think it is just important to keep in mind they are two different representations and for the sake of TV tehre are going to be changes.

Some i've been fine with. some have irritated and caused nerd rage but I look forwad to every sunday night even though i know pretty much what is going to happen.

I looked at the counter on the audiobook this morning, and I only have 71 minutes left :( so I know I'm going to move forward with the next book. They are just too damn good to let sit there!

• YardenYarden Posts: 820
    intodeep wrote:
    I just wanted to say how awesome Sophie Turner is as Sansa. The scene at the dinner table is really good. Also love how they are establishing Mercella (sp?? joffrey's younger sister) and tommen.

yeah, she plays her so well.. i only read the first book and a little bit of the second so i don't know what's going on with Sansa later on but i really like her so far. really loved the scene in the first season where she was going to push Joffrey to his death after he took her to see her father's head..
    all the kids on this show are great.

and i get that there's more going on in the 2nd book and the characters are all seperated and that's why this season is like this.. and it's not like nothing has happened yet but i was hoping things would really start to "go boromir" by now.. i mean, it's been 3 episodes and Daenerys is pretty much still where she was at the end of last season..
    Yarden wrote:
    intodeep wrote:

yeah, she plays her so well.. i only read the first book and a little bit of the second so i don't know what's going on with Sansa later on but i really like her so far. really loved the scene in the first season where she was going to push Joffrey to his death after he took her to see her father's head..
    all the kids on this show are great.

and i get that there's more going on in the 2nd book and the characters are all seperated and that's why this season is like this.. and it's not like nothing has happened yet but i was hoping things would really start to "go boromir" by now.. i mean, it's been 3 episodes and Daenerys is pretty much still where she was at the end of last season..
    Dany's story is pretty dull in book two. Except for one part towards the end that should be good.

As for Sansa you picked the moment i think she changes. Perhaps it is at the sept during the beheading tha the gears start turning, but Sansa has to grow up very quickly. She is alone in a very dangerous place and all she can do is smile on the outside while she dies on the inside. Her whole idea of her perfect life shatters before her. When she almost pushes joffrey is when i started to say hmmm maybe i can like her.

I think in book one i hated sansa. Book two i started to sympathize and moveing forward i started rooting for her.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    Yarden wrote:
    and it's not like nothing has happened yet but i was hoping things would really start to "go boromir" by now.. i mean, it's been 3 episodes and Daenerys is pretty much still where she was at the end of last season..

dude ... that's like the books ... :lol: ... he can go on and on with nothing happening ... having said that - i have been baited and am hooked ... curse this man! ... may he see a looong winter until he finishes writing these books!! ... :lol::lol: