Options

The Craft Beer Thread....

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,391
    John Budge wrote:
    Got some Pumking, Stone Enjoy By, and Founders Double Trouble waiting at home in the fridge. Can't wait!

All 3 are great. Stone and Founders put out some good stuff.

Put the Pumking on the shelf for a year or two, let it age. You'll be happy.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Has anyone had Six Point 3 Beans?

I grabbed a 4 pack at the store today and i'm excited to try it.

Also had Westbrook's One Claw last night for the first time. Quite a tasty Rye Pale ale
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Am I the only one that has zero interest in even trying a pumpkin ale? It doesn't sound appealing to me.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,783
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Am I the only one that has zero interest in even trying a pumpkin ale? It doesn't sound appealing to me.

I'm right there with ya....I have no interest at all in any sort of pumpkin ale.
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:

I'm right there with ya....I have no interest at all in any sort of pumpkin ale.

Yep. Same here
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:

Yep. Same here

Pumking from SouthernTier....SOOO FREAKING GOOD!!
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • Options
    PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    Really enjoying Sierra Nevada's Flip Side Red IPA...delicious and a great beer to ease from summer IPA's to football season!
    Yay beer!
    PROST!
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24~9.29.24
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    JK_Livin wrote:

Yep. Same here
    I've tried 1 so I guess I don't qualify but you've made the right decision.

Kidding aside though obviously there is a wide variety of tastes amongst craft beer drinkers. I prefer IPAs, others stouts. I like pumpkin pie but I'll pass on the beer. I'll pass on most flavored(fruit, coffee, spices, chocolate) beers anyway.

Well I won't buy them anyway.
    #FHP
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,404
    Boneyard's RPM is liquid gold. Sooooo tasty!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 wrote:
    :thumbup: and the Hop Venom drool-smiley.gif
    #FHP
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,404
    Horos wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:
    :thumbup: and the Hop Venom drool-smiley.gif

damn straight! :)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    PJFAN13 wrote:
    Really enjoying Sierra Nevada's Flip Side Red IPA...delicious and a great beer to ease from summer IPA's to football season!
    Yay beer!
    PROST!
    Agreed. I like reds and i like ipa's and this is a good mix. This is my new saturday game day beer for now.

Also, as far as pumpkin ales go they are hit or miss. I've been enjoying Harpoon's UFO Pumpkin lately. I think that is a good balance not too pumpkiny and not too aley
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,625
    got some big microbrews opening in Buffalo...

Oh and best craft beer: Dogfish Head 90 minute
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:

Not even close to Russian Rivers Pliny the Elder.
    #FHP
  • Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,659
    JK_Livin wrote:

Yep. Same here

I had the same attitude when I first started getting into craft beer... though that has completely changed lately. I've got a Pumking the the fridge at the moment I can't wait to get to... it's the first year it's been available in Texas. Also had A pumpkinator 2011 the other weekend, and the almost 2 years worth of age on it made it so drinkable I could have chugged the whole 10% ABV, 22 oz bomber.

When pumpkin beer is done right, it's delicious - when it's done wrong, it's drain-pour time. To anyone who doubts the pumpkin ale, just try something that's highly regarded (i.e. Pumpking) and I think you'll find a new appreciation for the style. I know I have.
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    I'll drink a Pumpkin beer every so often. Most of them are over-done but if it's brewed with subtle flavors they can be tasty. I hate though when the bar serves them with a whole frickin spice rack on the rim of the glass.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options
    I'll drink a Pumpkin beer every so often. Most of them are over-done but if it's brewed with subtle flavors they can be tasty. I hate though when the bar serves them with a whole frickin spice rack on the rim of the glass.

*Shudder*
  • Options
    ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    Trooper Beer.

Good.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,951
    I finally had Heady Topper last week. My god it was worth the wait :D .
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,264
    JK_Livin wrote:
    I local brewer (Four Peaks) makes an amazing, amazing pumpkin porter. People line up around the block to get this stuff! :D
  • Options
    Horos wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

That's not really a fair comparison.

There are few beers that can come close to Pliny the Elder. Pliny is unreal!
  • Options
    SVRDhand13 wrote:

I still have two in the vault...for a special day.
  • Options
    PJFAN13 wrote:
    Yay beer!
    PROST!
    I'm having one right now. Tasty IPA/red combo! :thumbup:
    Beer has a beautiful nose, with a nice smooth yet slightly bitter hoppy bite. Good stuff! I love how they made this beer a "mid-seasonal". Between their Summerfest and Tumbler...perfect!
    Tumbler is always good but I'm mostly looking forward to Celebration. Oh man, that's some good stuff!

Does anyone remember Sierra Nevada's Anniversary Ale? It was replaced by Tumbler/Celebration 4-5 years ago. That was one of my favorites!
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    Horos wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

That's not really a fair comparison.

There are few beers that can come close to Pliny the Elder. Pliny is unreal!
    I wasn't comparing, notice I said, "Not even close".

I've drank some that are comparable but not from Dogfish Head. Stone has some beers I could argue about.
    #FHP
  • Options
    ajedigecko wrote:
    SVRDhand13 wrote:

I hope you already know this, but i'll say it anyway.... IPA's are not meant to be aged. The hop flavors and aromatics fade with time and become muddled. The best IPA in the world can turn into a barely drinkable beer if you age it...

Enjoy those heady's fresh! and if you not, send them to me! I'll replace it with something you can age! ;) (assuming of course the heady's aren't already old.... :fp: )
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    shep wrote:
    ajedigecko wrote:
    SVRDhand13 wrote:

I hope you already know this, but i'll say it anyway.... IPA's are not meant to be aged. The hop flavors and aromatics fade with time and become muddled. The best IPA in the world can turn into a barely drinkable beer if you age it...

Enjoy those heady's fresh! and if you not, send them to me! I'll replace it with something you can age! ;) (assuming of course the heady's aren't already old.... :fp: )

Thanks for the concern...as i meant until the next weekend.

Our state fair is in town. Celebration time.
  • Options
    Going rafting in Golden, BC this weekend.
    + a trip to BC means several things, including...
    690594.jpg

Ahhh, sweet!
    Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • Options
    Just had some tacos and BBQ jerky along with 2 zombie dusts at 3 Floyd's for lunch, grabbed two cases of gumball head for the road......gonna be a good weekend!
  • Options
    PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    A couple of notes / comments for the posts on this page alone:

1. I couldn't agree with Horos more re: Russian River's Pliny, as well as Dogfish possibly being inferior to Stone. At times I get accused of being Stone-washed but a) I live 10 mins from the brewery b) their quality is superior and c) Dogfish is over-rated. If you like raisin - y malty IPA's, 90 min is the way to go...I like mine Cali style - heavy pine, resin, grapefruit, fresh etc...Which leads to:
    2. Shep is right, if you have some delicious Heady Topper, drink it immediately!!! Like tonight. Alchemist in VT blows away Dogfish, and their Heady Topper is a superior IPA by far (IMO)...in fact, it is in the Pliny conversation for sure, its that good...which leads me to:
    3. If you like Pumpkin Beer - cheers! Personally, my pumpkin intake is Thanksgiving day and 1 piece w/ loads of whipped creme after meal. Thats it. I don't even wish for pumpkin pie any other day of the year, let alone Pumpkin Beer.
    4. If you are a IPA fan- specifically the DIPA/Imperial type - you must RUN to the package store, beer distributor, whatever is in your area - and grab a few 22's of Mother Earth's "Primordial" - holy jeezy crow its magnificent!!!! So good and what a great DIPA should be....which leads to..
    5. Gumball Head is so yummy, I am so jealous, can't get it in SD unless its at a brewery for a special night.
    PROST all, and enjoy whatever you're drinking!
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24~9.29.24
  • Options
    PJFAN13 wrote:
    A couple of notes / comments for the posts on this page alone:

1. I couldn't agree with Horos more re: Russian River's Pliny, as well as Dogfish possibly being inferior to Stone. At times I get accused of being Stone-washed but a) I live 10 mins from the brewery b) their quality is superior and c) Dogfish is over-rated. If you like raisin - y malty IPA's, 90 min is the way to go...I like mine Cali style - heavy pine, resin, grapefruit, fresh etc...Which leads to:
    2. Shep is right, if you have some delicious Heady Topper, drink it immediately!!! Like tonight. Alchemist in VT blows away Dogfish, and their Heady Topper is a superior IPA by far (IMO)...in fact, it is in the Pliny conversation for sure, its that good...which leads me to:
    3. If you like Pumpkin Beer - cheers! Personally, my pumpkin intake is Thanksgiving day and 1 piece w/ loads of whipped creme after meal. Thats it. I don't even wish for pumpkin pie any other day of the year, let alone Pumpkin Beer.
    4. If you are a IPA fan- specifically the DIPA/Imperial type - you must RUN to the package store, beer distributor, whatever is in your area - and grab a few 22's of Mother Earth's "Primordial" - holy jeezy crow its magnificent!!!! So good and what a great DIPA should be....which leads to..
    5. Gumball Head is so yummy, I am so jealous, can't get it in SD unless its at a brewery for a special night.
    PROST all, and enjoy whatever you're drinking!

lol.... quite a rant.

I will say , that the best "new-to-me" DIPA i've had in a long time was the Double Jack. Firestone Walker just started distributing to Houston about 6 weeks ago... completely blown away by the awesomeness of Double Jack. The nose is so grapefruit, citrus, and melon... it is beautiful... lately my mantra is to try something new every time i go to the beer store... but that beer was so delicious i'd go back to it in a heartbeat.... even the fiance was in awe over it... she drank almost half the bottle and was like "you should go get more of that!"

right now, enjoying my first My Antonio from DFH (just started distributing it to Texas) it's quite enjoyable, the 7%ABV is barely noticeable.... contrary to the post above ( ;) ) i enjoy a lot of what DFH has to offer... burton baton is one of my favs.... i recently conducting an aging experiment with the beer though, and will advise that even though it says "ages with the best of them" on the bottle, it is definately better fresh.