Options

The Craft Beer Thread....

Comments

• Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,505
    adam42381 wrote:
    cQJQRG8.jpg

Currently enjoying a Cigar City Moat Water Imperial Stout. Damn tasty! Here's a link to my review:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/17 ... =adam42381
    Goddamn, i wish I could find more CC brews up here in Jax...i can only find Jai Alia (one of my favorites, mind you) Madura Brown, and that Cucumber Saison or whatever it is they do.
    We're lucky down here in Fort Myers. Despite being 2 hours from Cigar City in Tampa, Total Wine gets pretty much everything from Cigar City that hits distribution with only a few exceptions.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,659
    adam42381 wrote:
    adam42381 wrote:
    cQJQRG8.jpg

Currently enjoying a Cigar City Moat Water Imperial Stout. Damn tasty! Here's a link to my review:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/17 ... =adam42381
    Goddamn, i wish I could find more CC brews up here in Jax...i can only find Jai Alia (one of my favorites, mind you) Madura Brown, and that Cucumber Saison or whatever it is they do.
    We're lucky down here in Fort Myers. Despite being 2 hours from Cigar City in Tampa, Total Wine gets pretty much everything from Cigar City that hits distribution with only a few exceptions.

So I'm going to be in Tampa the end of June for a wedding, and I've already informed the significant other that I will need to make a beer run while I am there...

Can you recommend a good bottle shop in Tampa, and what should I be looking for from CC that time of year? The only brew I've ever had from them was the Cucumber Saison, which was absolutely disgusting but for some reason I still finished the bottle.... I have been told they make some amazing brews and I'm curious what I should try?
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    shep wrote:
    So I'm going to be in Tampa the end of June for a wedding, and I've already informed the significant other that I will need to make a beer run while I am there...

Can you recommend a good bottle shop in Tampa, and what should I be looking for from CC that time of year? The only brew I've ever had from them was the Cucumber Saison, which was absolutely disgusting but for some reason I still finished the bottle.... I have been told they make some amazing brews and I'm curious what I should try?
    I would recommend going to Cigar City first. Their tasting room is fantastic and they always have a decent bottle selection. A block or so away from the brewery are Total Wine and Whole Foods, both of which have very good beer selections. I'm not sure about any other bottle shops, but the bar staff at Cigar City should be able to give you recommendations.

Here's a link to their 2013 release calendar. They do one off batches constantly, but the calendar will give you an idea of what they should have when you're there.

http://www.cigarcitybrewing.com/index.p ... &Itemid=37
    adam42381 wrote:
    shep wrote:

I would recommend going to Cigar City first. Their tasting room is fantastic and they always have a decent bottle selection. A block or so away from the brewery are Total Wine and Whole Foods, both of which have very good beer selections. I'm not sure about any other bottle shops, but the bar staff at Cigar City should be able to give you recommendations.

Here's a link to their 2013 release calendar. They do one off batches constantly, but the calendar will give you an idea of what they should have when you're there.

I guess my question is: what would you recommend? We're actually staying on St. Pete's Beach, and the wedding is there as well, so I don't think I'm going to have a lot of time for sampling....

We get there late Wednesday night... Thursday is the wedding, Friday is the "after party" for the wedding (i.e. all the guests are invited to join them at the beach house they have rented)... I'm hoping I might be allowed to go out and search some of the local shops to find a beer I want to drink instead of whatever they're stocking for the party... so saturday is really my only day to explore... might try to hit up the tasting room if we have the time... doubt it though... the girlfriend is probably going to want to spend every waking moment on the beach.... :(
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    PurduePete55PurduePete55 Posts: 191
    That 3 Floyd's Permanent Funeral is excellent. Consensus said it was basically imperial Zombie Dust. It hit distro a bit around Chicagoland, so scoop that up.

Any Chicagoland craft beer lovers, I would like to invite you to Niche Restaurant on 3rd Street in Geneva on Wednesday May 22nd. There is a bottle share there every Wednesday night (not the 15th due to private party). You can check out their website for additional details. Basically, you bring a 22 oz bomber or 750 mL bottle to share. Sometimes we're sampling new releases like Permanent Funeral, Doom, Perennial's beers, etc. Other times folks open up their cellars with CW Fifteen, King Henry, and others. Lots of times there are beers that we can't get here in Chicagoland as well. 7PM is a pretty typical start time. It can go well past 10PM depending on the group/beers. I expect the 22nd to be fairly decent given it is Chicago Craft Beer Week. It's fine dining there. The food is great. Jeans are still fine for the bottle share though. 1/2 price drafts and bombers on Wednesdays too. Hope to meet some fellow PJ/craft beer lovers.
    Oct 00 - East Troy aka The Ice Bowl
    Apr 03 - Champaign
    Jun 03 - East Troy
    May 06 - Chicago
    Jun 06 - Summerfest 1 & 2
    Aug 09 - Chicago 1 & 2
    May 10 - Noblesville
    Sept 11 - PJ20 1 & 2
    July 13 - Wrigley
    Oct 13 - Pittsburgh
    Oct 14 - Moline & Milwaukee
    Aug 16 - Wrigley 1 & 2
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,789
    Currently enjoying a Lagunitas Hop Stoopid for the first time. God damn is this stuff hoppy.
  • Options
    shep wrote:
    adam42381 wrote:
    shep wrote:

I guess my question is: what would you recommend? We're actually staying on St. Pete's Beach, and the wedding is there as well, so I don't think I'm going to have a lot of time for sampling....

We get there late Wednesday night... Thursday is the wedding, Friday is the "after party" for the wedding (i.e. all the guests are invited to join them at the beach house they have rented)... I'm hoping I might be allowed to go out and search some of the local shops to find a beer I want to drink instead of whatever they're stocking for the party... so saturday is really my only day to explore... might try to hit up the tasting room if we have the time... doubt it though... the girlfriend is probably going to want to spend every waking moment on the beach.... :(
    It really depends on the styles you like. Cigar City makes a ton of good beer and honestly it's hard to go wrong with anything you find. Here's a list of their beers sorted by the most popular/most reviewed on BeerAdvocate:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/17 ... view=beers

If you let me know the styles you like I can try to make some recommendations. My personal favorites from their normal bottling line include Tocobaga Red, White Oak Jai Alai IPA and Jose Marti Porter.
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    That 3 Floyd's Permanent Funeral is excellent. Consensus said it was basically imperial Zombie Dust. It hit distro a bit around Chicagoland, so scoop that up.

Any Chicagoland craft beer lovers, I would like to invite you to Niche Restaurant on 3rd Street in Geneva on Wednesday May 22nd. There is a bottle share there every Wednesday night (not the 15th due to private party). You can check out their website for additional details. Basically, you bring a 22 oz bomber or 750 mL bottle to share. Sometimes we're sampling new releases like Permanent Funeral, Doom, Perennial's beers, etc. Other times folks open up their cellars with CW Fifteen, King Henry, and others. Lots of times there are beers that we can't get here in Chicagoland as well. 7PM is a pretty typical start time. It can go well past 10PM depending on the group/beers. I expect the 22nd to be fairly decent given it is Chicago Craft Beer Week. It's fine dining there. The food is great. Jeans are still fine for the bottle share though. 1/2 price drafts and bombers on Wednesdays too. Hope to meet some fellow PJ/craft beer lovers.
    I would agree on the Permanent Funeral. Outstanding.
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,789
    Mamasan23 wrote:

I would agree on the Permanent Funeral. Outstanding.

I'll have to try and find this Permanent Funeral.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    never realized until today that gumball was a wheat beer. i did not make the purchase. almost tried the other special 22oz, but it was lunch time :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    81 wrote:
    never realized until today that gumball was a wheat beer. i did not make the purchase. almost tried the other special 22oz, but it was lunch time :lol:
    If you see any interesting special releases you could pick some up for me. I like the IPAs.

I have a Black Butte Porter 24th B-day release that I've been holding onto for almost a year. It's almost coming of age.
    Currently enjoying a Lagunitas Hop Stoopid for the first time. God damn is this stuff hoppy.
    I like that stuff. Been one of my go to beers the last couple of months.
    #FHP
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,932
    MGD-64

That's as Crafty as it gets, for me.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    I read a review in the local paper of a bar in town. They said they have 12 beers on tap. Everything from Leinenkuegels to Bud Light. :lol: Wow, what a vast array of beers...
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • Options
    MGD-64

Get outta here with that :P
    adam42381 wrote:
    It really depends on the styles you like. Cigar City makes a ton of good beer and honestly it's hard to go wrong with anything you find. Here's a list of their beers sorted by the most popular/most reviewed on BeerAdvocate:

If you let me know the styles you like I can try to make some recommendations. My personal favorites from their normal bottling line include Tocobaga Red, White Oak Jai Alai IPA and Jose Marti Porter.

My favorite's for drinkability are Pale ale's, love IPA's - be it black, belgian, regular, imperial, or DIPA's - but I've been consuming a shit-ton of bourbon barrel aged stouts and porters lately when I beer geek out :ugeek: . Also a number of quad's and trippels... Enjoy regular stouts and porters as well.

There's not really a lot of stuff I don't like... not a big fan of wheats... and I tend to stay away from Saison's... I do like certain ones in the style, but I find when I have something I don't like, i really dislike it and normally don't finish the glass/bottle, so I tend not to risk it...
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,294
    Had a bottle of 3 Floyd's dark lord last night. How anyone drinks this stuff and enjoys it is beyond me. Can only be described as a mix of coffee and motor oil....
  • Options
    HartydogHartydog Posts: 2,060
    I recently had a little Shipyard Blue Fin Stout. Very good.
    Boston 9-28-04, 5-24-06, 5-25-06, 5-17-10, 8-5-16, 8-7-16, 9-2-18, 9-4-18
    Hartford 5-13-06, 6-27-08, 10-25-13
    Mansfield, MA 6-30-08, 6-28-08, 7-2-03, 7-3-03, 7-11-03, 8-29-00, 8-30-00, 9-15-98, 9-16-98
    Worcester 10-15-13, 10-16-13
  • Options
    Had a bottle of 3 Floyd's dark lord last night. How anyone drinks this stuff and enjoys it is beyond me. Can only be described as a mix of coffee and motor oil....
    Do you typically like Imperial Stouts?
    shep wrote:
    MGD-64

Get outta here with that :P
    adam42381 wrote:

My favorite's for drinkability are Pale ale's, love IPA's - be it black, belgian, regular, imperial, or DIPA's - but I've been consuming a shit-ton of bourbon barrel aged stouts and porters lately when I beer geek out :ugeek: . Also a number of quad's and trippels... Enjoy regular stouts and porters as well.

There's not really a lot of stuff I don't like... not a big fan of wheats... and I tend to stay away from Saison's... I do like certain ones in the style, but I find when I have something I don't like, i really dislike it and normally don't finish the glass/bottle, so I tend not to risk it...
    Cigar City definitely makes a lot of great beers in the styles you like. Honestly, I'd recommend just getting whatever you see from them. The only ones from their standard line that I wouldn't necessarily recommend highly (not that they're not good) are Maduro, Hotter Than Helles and Florida Cracker.
    Tenzing N.Tenzing N. Posts: 466
    DFH 120. I'll be honest, I didn't like this as much as some others. It was supposed to be the best. Green Flash West Coast fresh is a better IPA.
  • Options
    Tenzing N. wrote:
    DFH 120. I'll be honest, I didn't like this as much as some others. It was supposed to be the best. Green Flash West Coast fresh is a better IPA.
    Comparing DFH 120 to a standard IPA isn't a fair comparison at all. 120 is a huge double IPA that clocks in at 18% ABV. Green Flash West Coast is a highly regarded IPA that comes in at 7.4% ABV. FWIW, West Coast actually gets better reviews than DFH 120.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2743/22505
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/64/9086
    PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    Tenzing N. wrote:
    :D
    I absolutely love it when people are honest about beer. Let me tell you, Tenzing - it is absolutely ok to be underwhelmed by Dogfish 120. As a "hophead" myself, whenever I hear someone say this is the best double IPA out there it makes me think of 2 things:
    1) they haven't had many DIPA's - and/or-
    2) they are major barleywine lovers.
    This beer is a hop filled barleywine at best.
    Everybody's palette is different, so each person has their own likes and dislikes. That being said - in my opinion - while Dogfish 120 is a bold, sweet and intense beer drinking experience, it is a one bottle and move on to the next beer-kind of beer. Certainly not the "holy grails" of IPA's as some say.
    Pour me a Green Flash Palatte Wrecker over Dogfish 120 any day of the week!
    Prost!
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24~9.29.24
  • Options
    CorduroyboyCorduroyboy Posts: 1,253
    I bought some Sam Adams Alpine Spring and its got to be one of the best beers I've ever had. You could drink 10 of them in the blink of an eye and not even know it. Too bad it's seasonal!!
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,594
    Mothers Day visit to Fort Collins for Brunch than a visit to New Belgium but they were closed.
    So went to FBC, Odells, Funkwerks, and Equinox!!

Anewbelgium_zpsd32a2e50.jpg
  • Options
    Sam Adams Alpine Spring, one of the best beers out right now. Seasonal though, sucks!!
  • Options
    PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    Ironfire 51/50 IPA = delicious. Very very good and creeping to great!!!
    From Temecula...
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24~9.29.24
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    You bite your tongue!!!!! :shock:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Had a couple of these tonight.....
    787d8b455245__1368504542000.jpg?tw=0&th=720&s=true&nocache=1368504161850&rs=false
    #FHP
  • Options
    I bought some Sam Adams Alpine Spring and its got to be one of the best beers I've ever had. You could drink 10 of them in the blink of an eye and not even know it. Too bad it's seasonal!!
    Sam Adams Alpine Spring, one of the best beers out right now. Seasonal though, sucks!!
    Two out of three posts in here. You're really pushing that slightly above average beer, huh? :D
    adam42381 wrote:
    Two out of three posts in here. You're really pushing that slightly above average beer, huh? :D
    Did I really post that twice in here?? Forgive me, I've been off of work and a stay at home dad for 2 months now. I'm literally losing my mind.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    I wasn't a fan. It tastes like pine cones or an air freshener.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer