Options

The Craft Beer Thread....

Comments

• Options
    jbarbianjbarbian Posts: 991
    No KBS at my Woodmans :cry: manager said it came in yesterday and left in 2 hours. He also said they had the largest shipment around but i didn't ask how much he actually got. I picked up Bells Oberon, Ale Asylum Madtown Nut Brown (suggested by the distributor that was stocking shelves), Leffe Blonde and Leffe Brune (my favorite memory from Belgium), red wine, port, and 3 handles of spiced rum.
  • Options
    rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    jbarbian wrote:
    No KBS at my Woodmans :cry: manager said it came in yesterday and left in 2 hours. He also said they had the largest shipment around but i didn't ask how much he actually got. I picked up Bells Oberon, Ale Asylum Madtown Nut Brown (suggested by the distributor that was stocking shelves), Leffe Blonde and Leffe Brune (my favorite memory from Belgium), red wine, port, and 3 handles of spiced rum.

Bummer, sorry to hear that. The guy I talked to said there are people that follow the delivery truck from place to place. Thats commitment. I do have to say though, if you don't like whiskey or bourbon, KBS is not for you. I know seems obvious considering the name. My wife does not like whiskey and did not like the KBS. :D I have to say I was glad she didn't.

Let us know how the others are. Don't like Belgians at all but curious about the others.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • Options
    Oberon is a summer staple for us. Seasonal beer from Michigan, it was released end on March. Wheat beer with citrus fruit taste to it.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    Oakshire Watershed IPA. Yum.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Drinking the Sasquatch Stout now. Very smokey, petey kind of taste. Similar to Guinness but as little more bold. I like it.
  • Options
    Had the Madtown Nut Brown. Glad I bought it. Smooth, malty.
  • Options
    jbarbian wrote:
    Had the Madtown Nut Brown. Glad I bought it. Smooth, malty.

one of the mix and match I got was an Ale Asylum beers. Almost got the Ambergeddon but I got the Contorter Porter instead. Ill let you know how it is.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    All of you enjoying KBS........

IHATEYOU :evil: :evil: :evil:

sorry. I felt like everyone i talked to today was the kbs nazi

No KBS for you
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:

No KBS for you

:lol: I had to work hard to get it. If I was working yesterday I never would have got any.
  • Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,659
    intodeep wrote:

No KBS for you

I feel your pain...

None of it is coming to Texas...

And it sounds like it's something I would very much enjoy as a single malt scotch drinker, and a recently converted bourbon whiskey aficionado...

I'd love to trade someone for a bottle or two.... but don't see it happening... have both PJ things and lots of great beers from Texas (though I'm not parting with my only other bottle of BBA Hellfighter). 8-)
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    Interesting read on bottle aging. http://zythophile.wordpress.com/2011/03 ... s-and-dos/

I am still trying to decide if I will age my KBS or not.

Edit

After reading this http://beeradvocate.com/community/threa ... -kbs.3406/ I think I will not age them as I prefer the stronger coffee and bourbon notes that seem to fade with aging.
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    i have never been abel to get my hands on kbs :( i always miss it.

its out already? looks like i missed it again this year :(

I love the southern tier creme brulee left hand nitro milk is tasty too!

My local shop is supposed to get KBS on Monday! This is always a happy day of the year. We are supposed to be getting 2 cases, 120 shipped to WI, so we're pretty happy with that! I'll open 1 and add the other 3 to the cellar.

So, did you get any KBS?
  • Options
    MaxGoldenrodMaxGoldenrod Posts: 1,341
    KBS? Hopslam is still better.

Tonight's take...New Belgium lips of faith Cascera Quad. Not bad, but not as good as the real thing.
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?
  • Options

Thems fightin words. :lol:

Will never agree to that, especially since I dont like IPAs.
  • Options
    MaxGoldenrodMaxGoldenrod Posts: 1,341

Ha!

You are right though, if you don't like IPAs, you probably wouldn't like the Hopslam.
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?
  • Options

Ha!

You are right though, if you don't like IPAs, you probably wouldn't like the Hopslam.

what is this, List-All-the-great-beers-that-don't-sell-in-texas thread?

yeesh...

you guys are depressing me...

haven't had a hopslam either... and i'm definitely a hophead... :(
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    shep wrote:

that's some really good stuff :P

i say we make a chicago to Texas run....you pay for the gas and beer, and i'll load up the tacoma with as much as you want (up to 700lbs of booze)

american-truckers-relives-epic-smokey-and-the-bandit-beer-run-32288_1.jpg
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    shep wrote:

i say we make a chicago to Texas run....you pay for the gas and beer, and i'll load up the tacoma with as much as you want (up to 700lbs of booze)

if only I had the vacation days...

3 weeks is not enough when you have 5 weddings to attend, and only one of them is within driving distance... :(
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    shep wrote:

I would say a beer for barbecue trade would be better. Cant get any good barbecue in Wisconsin.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    http://t.co/DCP6h6pB2H Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:

Let's hope it was only filled with bud light.
  • Options
    shep wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

Let's hope it was only filled with bud light.

Officials said the truck was not carrying a load at the time.

Thank God. I figured it was Bud Light and that was what was keeping it afloat.
  • Options
    Just picked up a four pack of Dragons Milk and a bomber of Goose Island Night Stalker Imperial Stout. Excited to try them.
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    i have never been abel to get my hands on kbs :( i always miss it.

its out already? looks like i missed it again this year :(

I love the southern tier creme brulee left hand nitro milk is tasty too!

My local shop is supposed to get KBS on Monday! This is always a happy day of the year. We are supposed to be getting 2 cases, 120 shipped to WI, so we're pretty happy with that! I'll open 1 and add the other 3 to the cellar.

I just talked to the lady who works in the beer and liquor section at Festival Foods if they got any. She said no. She was told that only 30 cases made it into Wisconsin.
  • Options
    madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    My Founders sales rep told me 120, and we got 2, but that really isn't the point. My boss limited us to 2 bottles per employee. I just picked mine up tonight.

I also have a buddy moving to Germany this week who needed some help liquidating his beer and liquor stock, so I also picked up a 2011 Goose Island Bourbon County.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options
    My Founders sales rep told me 120, and we got 2, but that really isn't the point. My boss limited us to 2 bottles per employee. I just picked mine up tonight.

I also have a buddy moving to Germany this week who needed some help liquidating his beer and liquor stock, so I also picked up a 2011 Goose Island Bourbon County.

I am sure your guy is more reliable. This lady didnt seem that confident. Maybe it was just in NE Wisconsin? 2 bottles? that sucks. Congrats on the Goose Island. That sounds like it will be nice. I am not aging mine. From everything I have seen, KBS loses its coffee and bourbon notes from aging. I love both of those flavors so I will just drink them within the next few months.

I did have some New Holland Dragons Milk tonight, which I liked a lot. Its kind of a poor mans KBS. if you want to call $12 a four pack poor mans.

You work at a liquor store?
  • Options
    Does anyone here have any experience with gluten free beer? My sister has celiac and I promised her I would find a decent tasting one for her, but everytime I'm at the store I chicken out on buying some. I don't want to waste money on shitty tasting beer.

Any ideas or recomendations? I trust opinions in this thread more the a random Google search. Thanks.
  • Options

I am sure your guy is more reliable. This lady didnt seem that confident. Maybe it was just in NE Wisconsin? 2 bottles? that sucks. Congrats on the Goose Island. That sounds like it will be nice. I am not aging mine. From everything I have seen, KBS loses its coffee and bourbon notes from aging. I love both of those flavors so I will just drink them within the next few months.

I did have some New Holland Dragons Milk tonight, which I liked a lot. Its kind of a poor mans KBS. if you want to call $12 a four pack poor mans.

You work at a liquor store?

I work 4 hours every other week at a local store to get a discount and stay on top of special releases. KBS actually ages pretty well. I think the oldest I've had is 3 years. It loses some of its boozy quality, and I find the coffee and bourbon become more appreciable. I think I've got 3 years of Bourbon County currently aging. I usually drink one, then age the other 3.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options
    This weekend in Chicago I picked up a Fifty Fifty Brewing Eclipse in purple wax: Elijah Craig 12 yr aged barrel, an Allagash Curiex, and a Stone Dayman. The Stone went in the cooler, the others to the cellar.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,505
    jbarbian wrote:
    Does anyone here have any experience with gluten free beer? My sister has celiac and I promised her I would find a decent tasting one for her, but everytime I'm at the store I chicken out on buying some. I don't want to waste money on shitty tasting beer.

Any ideas or recomendations? I trust opinions in this thread more the a random Google search. Thanks.
    I haven't had any myself, but this thread from BA has a few suggestions that may be worth trying:

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threa ... eer.66901/
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.