Comments

• Options
    MaxGoldenrodMaxGoldenrod Posts: 1,341
    shep wrote:
    Horos wrote:
    Here's what I had last night:

Pint of Pliny the Elder

Samples:
    Mikkeller/Lervig Double Eye PA (Imperial IPA 14%)
    Mikkeller Hop Burn (Imperial IPA 10%)
    Mikkeler/Anchorage Invasion (Saison IPA 8%)
    Anchorage Galaxy White IPA (White IPA 7%)
    Scheldebrouwerij Hop Ruiter (Belgian Strong 9.2%)
    Evil Twin Femme Fatale Brett (Belgian IPA 6%)
    Brew Dog Punk (IPA 5.6%)
    Pelican Silverspot IPA (IPA 6%)
    Dogfish Head Aprihop (Fruit IPA 7%)
    Bend Brewing Elk Lake IPA (IPA 6.5%)
    Vertigo Brewing Friar Mike's IPA (IPA 6.1%)
    Boneyard Notorious IPA^3 (Triple IPA 12%)
    The Bruery Humulus (India Pale Lager 7.3%)
    Double Mountain Molten Lava (Imperial IPA 9.4%)
    Block 15 Sticky Hands (IPA 8.5%)
    Firestone Walker Wookey Jack (Black Rye IPA 8.3%)
    Green Flash Palate Wrecker (Triple IPA 9.5%)
    Lagunitas Sucks (IPA 7.85%)
    Heathen Son of Malice (Imperial IPA 8.1%)
    Gilgamesh Stunt Double (Imperial IPA 8.1%)

The Sucks, Punk, and Notorious IPA^3 rated the highest amongst our group. Only the Invasion was rated low.

Also left with a growler full of Pliny.

lucky bastard....

your palate must have been a complete wreck by the end of it. that is a lot of IBUs.

The Green Flash alone does a pretty good job of living up to its name.
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?
  • Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,659
    shep wrote:
    Horos wrote:

Pint of Pliny the Elder

Samples:
    Mikkeller/Lervig Double Eye PA (Imperial IPA 14%)
    Mikkeller Hop Burn (Imperial IPA 10%)
    Mikkeler/Anchorage Invasion (Saison IPA 8%)
    Anchorage Galaxy White IPA (White IPA 7%)
    Scheldebrouwerij Hop Ruiter (Belgian Strong 9.2%)
    Evil Twin Femme Fatale Brett (Belgian IPA 6%)
    Brew Dog Punk (IPA 5.6%)
    Pelican Silverspot IPA (IPA 6%)
    Dogfish Head Aprihop (Fruit IPA 7%)
    Bend Brewing Elk Lake IPA (IPA 6.5%)
    Vertigo Brewing Friar Mike's IPA (IPA 6.1%)
    Boneyard Notorious IPA^3 (Triple IPA 12%)
    The Bruery Humulus (India Pale Lager 7.3%)
    Double Mountain Molten Lava (Imperial IPA 9.4%)
    Block 15 Sticky Hands (IPA 8.5%)
    Firestone Walker Wookey Jack (Black Rye IPA 8.3%)
    Green Flash Palate Wrecker (Triple IPA 9.5%)
    Lagunitas Sucks (IPA 7.85%)
    Heathen Son of Malice (Imperial IPA 8.1%)
    Gilgamesh Stunt Double (Imperial IPA 8.1%)

The Sucks, Punk, and Notorious IPA^3 rated the highest amongst our group. Only the Invasion was rated low.

Also left with a growler full of Pliny.

lucky bastard....

your palate must have been a complete wreck by the end of it. that is a lot of IBUs.

The Green Flash alone does a pretty good job of living up to its name.

It does... I had a 4-pack of last years.... I had the first 2 bottles and then the 2nd 2 sat in the fridge for a little bit as I discovered it was pointless to try any other new beers after drinking one...

the name is absolutely perfect.... :lol:
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    I had the Palate Wrecker in a growler a few weeks ago. Seriously debated getting another one filled with it for our annual trip to the cabin this week.

Today however is a DFH 90 minute IPA in a growler format. I actually prefer this one in the bottle, but it is still a delicious brew.
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

• Options
    madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    Just tried the Weyerbacher Insanity. Pretty damn tasty
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,792
    Currently enjoying a Three Floyds Alpha King right now. Very good stuff.
  • Options
    Just finished a Green Flash Left Freak Belgian IPA. More like a grand cru than an IPA. Not bad though.

Now working on a local...Jailhouse Mugshot IPA.

• Options
    bobby dazzlersbobby dazzlers Posts: 2,017
    yum-E!

124c3fk.jpg
    That I no longer give a fuck
    Who is wrong and who’s right
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    Currently enjoying a Three Floyds Alpha King right now. Very good stuff.
    I had some Gumballhead earlier mmm!

Also some Founders IPA. So tasty
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    A friend from San Fran sent me a package of:
    2 Pliney's
    2 blind pigs
    1 RR Redemption
    1 Stone Enjoy by

HOPS :D
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Horos wrote:

dude that is awesome! Well done1
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Just finished a Green Flash Left Freak Belgian IPA. More like a grand cru than an IPA. Not bad though.

Another craft beer drinker in atlanta
    Hello neighbor!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    Has anyone tried DFH's Aprihop? Trying to decide on whether or not it's worth hunting down.
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:

Hello neighbor!
    Well, technically I'm an OTP'er, but I'll gladly support the Atlanta area micro/nano breweries!

Now if I could just find some Burnt Hickory...

• Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    ckravitz wrote:
    Has anyone tried DFH's Aprihop? Trying to decide on whether or not it's worth hunting down.
    I tried it last year for the 1st time and I thought it was good. I'm not a fan of flavored beer but this one was good.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:

Hello neighbor!
    Well, technically I'm an OTP'er, but I'll gladly support the Atlanta area micro/nano breweries!

Now if I could just find some Burnt Hickory...
    All i've heard about burnt hickory is that it's awesome and i too can't get my hands on it.

I'm kind of OTP but I'm "On the Perimeter" I live in Dunwoody

Tons of breweries popping up all over atlanta. Sadly i find most to be okay and few to be great. Red Hare did some good stouts recently, but their regular line is just kind of ho hum to me. I've never been blown away by Jailhouse, Red Brick, Monday Night, or many of the other newer ones. I'm hoping Burnt Hickory bucks that trend.
    Wild Heaven is kind of cool though. Not exactly my fav types of beers but what they do they do well.

I noticed Rate Beer graded the Porter the best beer bar in the US and the Brick Store was number 2 this year. I love that both are at our finger tips!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    Gonna crack open my Samuel Smith Imperial Porter tonight. Anyone else try this?
    http://www.samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk/imperialstout.html
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • Options
    i can't recall if i've tried teh porter, but Sam Smith's is always good!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:

Hello neighbor!

Now if I could just find some Burnt Hickory...[/quote]
    All i've heard about burnt hickory is that it's awesome and i too can't get my hands on it.

I'm kind of OTP but I'm "On the Perimeter" I live in Dunwoody

Tons of breweries popping up all over atlanta. Sadly i find most to be okay and few to be great. Red Hare did some good stouts recently, but their regular line is just kind of ho hum to me. I've never been blown away by Jailhouse, Red Brick, Monday Night, or many of the other newer ones. I'm hoping Burnt Hickory bucks that trend.
    Wild Heaven is kind of cool though. Not exactly my fav types of beers but what they do they do well.

I noticed Rate Beer graded the Porter the best beer bar in the US and the Brick Store was number 2 this year. I love that both are at our finger tips![/quote]

Screw the beer bars, look up Moondog Growlers in Dunwoody or Sandy Springs. Or head over to Smyrna and check out Stout Brothers, or if you are ever near Marietta Street on the NW side of town, Hop City. All great places to get a growler of craft brew. All of them usually have a local in tap ( and not just Sweetwater or Terrapin).

Burnt Hickory is literally 5 mins from my house, but I can't get their beer. I work weekends and 2nd shift so when they have open houses, I'm at work.

• Options
    On tap tonight...

Red Brick Brick Mason, aged in bourbon barrels

Blue Point No Apologies IPA.

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    Widmer Brothers O'Ryely IPA 8-)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    St Patty's weekend, must have been some new crafts enjoyed? What are they?

I had my first go at the DFH 120. The taste was :shock: to say the least. I know this is probably sacrilegious, but I like the 90 much better.
  • Options
    rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055

Gotta say it was not my favorite. It had an unusual taste that I couldn't quite put my finger on. It wasn't bad, I actually thought it got better as I drank it but I probably wont run back out to buy another.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • Options
    dougfloyddougfloyd Fishers, IN Posts: 2,544
    Wife found some Spaten Optimator at Trader Joe's today :D Love this stuff although I think it's better on draft vs bottles or maybe that's just because I'm usually having it with some awesome German food.

Also had some Fountain Square Oatmeal Stout and Sun King Cream Ale this weekend.
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
  • Options
    PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    Dayman Coffee IPA - Aleman/Stone/Two Brothers collaboration is quite good...enjoying one as I type this... http://www.stonebrewing.com/collab/

Anyone tried this yet? Wow...I'm surprised how much I like it...can't wait to have one for breakfast :lol: If you are a fan of good coffee and fresh hops, I’d can't recommend this beer enough!

PROST!
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24~9.29.24
  • Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,659
    big day today... ran around town getting a whole bunch of divine reserve #13 from the local brewery, Saint Arnolds.... excited to try it tomorrow night.

just finshed a 1.25 year old bottle of Palo Santo Maron from DFH....

The beer has aged very well from when I tried the first bottle back when i bought the 4-pack.... but it's not ready yet... I think another year and it will be just about right.
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    PJFAN13 wrote:
    Dayman Coffee IPA - Aleman/Stone/Two Brothers collaboration is quite good...enjoying one as I type this... http://www.stonebrewing.com/collab/

Anyone tried this yet? Wow...I'm surprised how much I like it...can't wait to have one for breakfast :lol: If you are a fan of good coffee and fresh hops, I’d can't recommend this beer enough!

PROST!

Just picked up a pair of bombers at Two Brothers this afternoon. I'm pretty excited to try it. The reviews have been good. The hop presence is apparently there, but not overly bitter. I know Two Brothers can bring quality coffee to their beer because their Red Eye Porter is the best beer they make in my world.

This weekend I tried a hop flight on Friday night all via trades. Started with Fat Head Headhunter, then Ithaca Flower Power, and ended with Troegs Nugget Nectar. I liked them in reverse order. The Nugget Nectar was hoppy, sweet, and creamy. Nice balance with the malts, but the hops come through. The Flower Power had a sort of lemony taste to it. Not a citrus bomb of an IPA, just a really interesting taste. The Headhunter was certainly solid. Not overly bitter but not overly citrusy either. At $12 for a 4 pack though, I don't really need any more.

Saturday I got my quarterly trade box from my buddy in California. Last quarter were heavy hitters like Russian River, Alesmith, and Hair of the Dog. This one was very random. Had the Marin County Peach, which I liked because I love peaches and effervescent brews. The 21st Amendment Bitter American was a really nice brew that is sessionable. I could drink a few of those. Nothing stood out about it, just that is was tasty for 4.4%.
    Oct 00 - East Troy aka The Ice Bowl
    Apr 03 - Champaign
    Jun 03 - East Troy
    May 06 - Chicago
    Jun 06 - Summerfest 1 & 2
    Aug 09 - Chicago 1 & 2
    May 10 - Noblesville
    Sept 11 - PJ20 1 & 2
    July 13 - Wrigley
    Oct 13 - Pittsburgh
    Oct 14 - Moline & Milwaukee
    Aug 16 - Wrigley 1 & 2
  • Options
    he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    Hosting the second annual "Malt Madness" blind beer tasting this afternoon. 32 different craft & import brews chilling in the fridge now; nice variety of stouts, porters, IPS's, Belgians, Germans, ales & lagers. Cant wait.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options

Gotta say it was not my favorite. It had an unusual taste that I couldn't quite put my finger on. It wasn't bad, I actually thought it got better as I drank it but I probably wont run back out to buy another.

I had a bottle of this on Friday night and feel almost exactly the same as you.
  • Options
    shep wrote:
    big day today... ran around town getting a whole bunch of divine reserve #13 from the local brewery, Saint Arnolds.... excited to try it tomorrow night.

The beer has aged very well from when I tried the first bottle back when i bought the 4-pack.... but it's not ready yet... I think another year and it will be just about right.

Yep. I have 3 of 4 still in the four pack where they will stay. For a long while. Was way too sweet off the store shelf IMO.

Question if you don't mind... I made the egregious error of tossing the entire 4 pack in the fridge but would now like to age the remaining bottles. Am I going to kill the beer by letting it warm after chilling to 40 F?
  • Options
    madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    ckravitz wrote:
    shep wrote:

Yep. I have 3 of 4 still in the four pack where they will stay. For a long while. Was way too sweet off the store shelf IMO.

Question if you don't mind... I made the egregious error of tossing the entire 4 pack in the fridge but would now like to age the remaining bottles. Am I going to kill the beer by letting it warm after chilling to 40 F?

I have moved beer from the fridge to the basement on occasion, and I have never had any difficulties.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23