Options

The Craft Beer Thread....

Comments

• Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,659
    ckravitz wrote:
    shep wrote:
    big day today... ran around town getting a whole bunch of divine reserve #13 from the local brewery, Saint Arnolds.... excited to try it tomorrow night.

just finshed a 1.25 year old bottle of Palo Santo Maron from DFH....

The beer has aged very well from when I tried the first bottle back when i bought the 4-pack.... but it's not ready yet... I think another year and it will be just about right.

Yep. I have 3 of 4 still in the four pack where they will stay. For a long while. Was way too sweet off the store shelf IMO.

Question if you don't mind... I made the egregious error of tossing the entire 4 pack in the fridge but would now like to age the remaining bottles. Am I going to kill the beer by letting it warm after chilling to 40 F?

I have moved beer from the fridge to the basement on occasion, and I have never had any difficulties.

yea, you shouldn't have any problem as long as you keep it out of the sunlight and sub 80F...

It's a little tough on the yeast, but it should be ok.

I age all my beer in the 55-60F range.

Had a delicious bottle of bourbon barrell, coffee, and dark chocolate aged imperial stout last night... called Dark Hollow from Blue Mountain Brewery.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16352/87536

if you can get your hands on it, I definitely recommend a try
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    shep wrote:
    I have moved beer from the fridge to the basement on occasion, and I have never had any difficulties.

yea, you shouldn't have any problem as long as you keep it out of the sunlight and sub 80F...

It's a little tough on the yeast, but it should be ok.

I age all my beer in the 55-60F range.

Had a delicious bottle of bourbon barrell, coffee, and dark chocolate aged imperial stout last night... called Dark Hollow from Blue Mountain Brewery.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16352/87536

if you can get your hands on it, I definitely recommend a try

Thanks gents!
  • Options
    rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    Drinking a Victory - Storm King Imperial Stout.

Ok, so I dont like hoppy bears, I dont like IPAs. This is a very hoppy stout. I have to say I like it though. I think the bite from the hops is balanced out from the other flavors. My wife who is an IPA drinking loves it. Every time I turn around she has her lips to my glass. Maybe this will be my gateway beer into IPAs, I doubt it though.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/345/1013
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • Options

Ok, so I dont like hoppy bears, I dont like IPAs. This is a very hoppy stout. I have to say I like it though. I think the bite from the hops is balanced out from the other flavors. My wife who is an IPA drinking loves it. Every time I turn around she has her lips to my glass. Maybe this will be my gateway beer into IPAs, I doubt it though.

Edit
    This may sound weird but the aftertaste from this beer, about 5 minutes after finishing it tastes like marijuana seeds when you eat them. Does that make any sense? Probably a lot of people wont relate but anyway. Just thought that was weird.
  • Options
    MaxGoldenrodMaxGoldenrod Posts: 1,341
    If I was in DC, I'd figure out a way to get inside...

http://www.craftbrewersconference.com
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?
  • Options
    wow...

I have just been completely blown away by one of our local breweries here in Houston - Karbach Brewing Company.

Bourbon Barrel aged version of their Hellfighter Porter... it is fucking awesome... best local beer I've had in a very long time...

Wish I had of had the foresight to buy more than 2 bottles when it came out a month ago (and gotten around to trying it before now)...

I might wind up in beer stores on the outskirts of the city this weekend, trying to find places that may have a bottle or two left.... it is that f'ing good....
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228

Edit
    This may sound weird but the aftertaste from this beer, about 5 minutes after finishing it tastes like marijuana seeds when you eat them. Does that make any sense? Probably a lot of people wont relate but anyway. Just thought that was weird.
    I understand what you are saying :)

I have four days to hunt down a bomber of Ommegang's Game of Thrones Iron Throne beer.

MUST have one for sunday night :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:

Edit
    I understand what you are saying :)

I have four days to hunt down a bomber of Ommegang's Game of Thrones Iron Throne beer.

MUST have one for sunday night :)

i have one of those in the fridge i've been saving. ;)

might have a tough time finding one, considering it came out about a month ago and most places sold out very quickly.... my beer store went through their cases in 4 or 5 days if i remember correctly...

good luck!
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,057
    ....back on the shelves.

cc2a2cec174f8b61b9650a89c9ba3472.jpg
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    shep wrote:

i have one of those in the fridge i've been saving. ;)

might have a tough time finding one, considering it came out about a month ago and most places sold out very quickly.... my beer store went through their cases in 4 or 5 days if i remember correctly...

good luck!
    i got the last one out of all the total wine stores in atlanta. I found it on the back of a shelf hiding. They said they thought they were out they flew through their last shipment.

so happy :corn:

Oh i did see the oberon too. It was nicely priced 6.99 a six pack. I have a ton of ipa's to drink this weekend (six pack of cigar city's Jai Alai, Russian River Blind Pig, Avery's Majaraja, and New Belgium's Rampant) but perhaps next i'll dig into some of that 8-)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    MotoDCMotoDC Posts: 947
    intodeep wrote:
    ... I have a ton of ipa's to drink this weekend (six pack of cigar city's Jai Alai, Russian River Blind Pig, Avery's Majaraja, and New Belgium's Rampant) but perhaps next i'll dig into some of that 8-)
    Wow nice line up. Jai Alai is probably my fave ipa fresh-out-the-tap. Haven't been as blown away by it in a bottle but we don't get it up here in Virginia so I don't have a ton of samples in my "study". :P
  • Options
    MotoDC wrote:
    intodeep wrote:
    ... I have a ton of ipa's to drink this weekend (six pack of cigar city's Jai Alai, Russian River Blind Pig, Avery's Majaraja, and New Belgium's Rampant) but perhaps next i'll dig into some of that 8-)
    Wow nice line up. Jai Alai is probably my fave ipa fresh-out-the-tap. Haven't been as blown away by it in a bottle but we don't get it up here in Virginia so I don't have a ton of samples in my "study". :P
    I've sadly only had it on tap a long time ago :(

I was in panama city last weekend (we don't get it in georgia either) walked into their bottle shop and grab a case of it for home and a 12 pack for the weekend (that stuff is NOT cheap but it is good)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    I've sadly only had it on tap a long time ago :(

I was in panama city last weekend (we don't get it in georgia either) walked into their bottle shop and grab a case of it for home and a 12 pack for the weekend (that stuff is NOT cheap but it is good)

Amazing... we can get beer from all over the world and the USA, but we can't get beer from our next door neighbor.
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

• Options
    MFCarissaMFCarissa Posts: 494
    BEER.png

Good haul. :D
    Using up my Ovaltine... like Ovaltine.
  • Options
    MFCarissa wrote:
    BEER.png

Nice, had a few Nitro Milk Stouts last night.
  • Options
    Tonight's growler sampling...

New Belgium Lips of Faith Heavenly Feijoa. Not bad. A little like drinking a goblet of tart wine.

Now onto a Shark Attack by Port Brewing. More my style.

Now if the Hoosiers would start playing ball like the big 10 champs should... :x

• Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Been drinking a lot of these lately........
    f5c2c516f7c9__1364528761000.jpeg?tw=0&th=720&s=true&rs=false
    Less than $4 a bomber and quite tasty at that.

Enjoy By was a couple hours away. Hoping some pops up here soon.

And a keg of the Younger hit town and somehow I was late to the party. :fp:
    #FHP
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    Just picked up a bottle of Dogfish Head "Ta henket". I'm hoping the price means it will be good :shock: I know some of the DFH's are more about just being weird ("off centered etc etc) but I am on a mission to try all of them anyway.
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,505
    MFCarissa wrote:
    BEER.png

KBS is awesome!
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    i have never been abel to get my hands on kbs :( i always miss it.

its out already? looks like i missed it again this year :(

I love the southern tier creme brulee left hand nitro milk is tasty too!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Horos wrote:
    And a keg of the Younger hit town and somehow I was late to the party. :fp:
    i like hop stoopid too
    Sorry to hear your bad luck with Younger :(
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    intodeep wrote:

My local shop is supposed to get KBS on Monday! This is always a happy day of the year. We are supposed to be getting 2 cases, 120 shipped to WI, so we're pretty happy with that! I'll open 1 and add the other 3 to the cellar.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:

My local shop is supposed to get KBS on Monday! This is always a happy day of the year. We are supposed to be getting 2 cases, 120 shipped to WI, so we're pretty happy with that! I'll open 1 and add the other 3 to the cellar.

What does a 4 pack usually cost? I am going to try and get some up here.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    HUB 7 Grain Stout=Awesome!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:

Usually around $20. I would contact your local retailer and ask if they're getting it, and if they are willing to set some aside. I know for some stores around here (Woodman's) people show up as soon as they open, wait for the delivery, then clean them out.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options

Usually around $20. I would contact your local retailer and ask if they're getting it, and if they are willing to set some aside. I know for some stores around here (Woodman's) people show up as soon as they open, wait for the delivery, then clean them out.

Ok, thanks. I contacted Superior Liquor and they didnt have any. I usually go to Woodmans so I will give them a call. Kind of funny that a grocery store has the best beer and liquor store in town.

Edit - Called Woodmans. They were taking names and limiting to one 4pack. They will call when it comes in. Sweet!!
  • Options
    We get our shipment Monday, not sure on the delivery schedules up there. And Woodman's not only has a great selection, they usually get all of the limited releases. Founders does their special releases based on allocation. The more cases you sell, you accumulate points as a retailer, and that moves you up in release priority and amount. For small shops, it's impossible to get close to the Woodman's numbers.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options
    We get our shipment Monday, not sure on the delivery schedules up there. And Woodman's not only has a great selection, they usually get all of the limited releases. Founders does their special releases based on allocation. The more cases you sell, you accumulate points as a retailer, and that moves you up in release priority and amount. For small shops, it's impossible to get close to the Woodman's numbers.

Cant beat their prices either. :D Yeah, she said sometime next week so...
  • Options

Good luck! If only I could get my hands on another bottle of CBS!
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options

Good luck! If only I could get my hands on another bottle of CBS!

I dont even see it on their website.