Options

The Craft Beer Thread....

Comments

• Options
    rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    This weekend in Chicago I picked up a Fifty Fifty Brewing Eclipse in purple wax: Elijah Craig 12 yr aged barrel, an Allagash Curiex, and a Stone Dayman. The Stone went in the cooler, the others to the cellar.

Quite a haul. Let us know how they are.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • Options
    madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    adam42381 wrote:
    jbarbian wrote:
    Does anyone here have any experience with gluten free beer? My sister has celiac and I promised her I would find a decent tasting one for her, but everytime I'm at the store I chicken out on buying some. I don't want to waste money on shitty tasting beer.

Any ideas or recomendations? I trust opinions in this thread more the a random Google search. Thanks.
    I haven't had any myself, but this thread from BA has a few suggestions that may be worth trying:

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threa ... eer.66901/

Estrella Daura is the only gluten free beer I have had that actually tastes like beer.

One my friends likes the Sprecher Shakparo, but I think it tastes really funky.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options
    This weekend in Chicago I picked up a Fifty Fifty Brewing Eclipse in purple wax: Elijah Craig 12 yr aged barrel, an Allagash Curiex, and a Stone Dayman. The Stone went in the cooler, the others to the cellar.

Quite a haul. Let us know how they are.

That was an expensive as fuck haul. I will report on the Dayman, you'll likely have to wait a year (at least) to hear on the others, or I may get impatient and crack one in the next few months. :D
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,056
    I picked up two bottles of KBS. Yummy stuff, but pricey as usual.
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options

It is pricey. What did you pay for your bottles, if you're willing to disclose...
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,659
    I'm drinking the cheapest craft beer on the planet tonight.... homebrew :D

just sampling the fruits of my labors.... this batch is a wheat/pale ale hybrid.... pretty tasty.

tomorrow night's selection is going to be a Karbach hellfighter me thinks... already looking forward to it...
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    MaxGoldenrodMaxGoldenrod Posts: 1,341
    Finishing a growler of Terrapin Hopzilla Imperial IPA, from right here in GA. Athens to be specific.
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?
  • Options
    Shiner fm 966 tonight. Have to drink texas beer while I'm watching Austin City Limits.
    Red Rocks 6/19/95 * Rapid City 6/24/98 * EV Vegas 11/1/12 * EV Tulsa 11/19/12 * Wrigley Field 7/19/13 * Brooklyn 10/19/13 * Philly 10/21/13 * Philly 10/22/13 * Hartford 10/25/13 * OKC 11/16/13 * Tulsa 10/8/2014 * Lincoln 10/9/2014 * Moline 10/17/2014 * St Paul 10/19/2014 * Greenville 4/16/16 * Philly 4/28/16 * Philly 4/29/16 * MSG 5/1/16 * MSG 5/2/16 * Wrigley 8/20/16 * Seattle 8/8/18 * Seattle 8/10/18 * Wrigley 8/18/18 * Asbury Park 9/18/21 * St Louis 9/18/22 * Denver 9/22/22 * St Paul 8/31/23
  • Options

It is pricey. What did you pay for your bottles, if you're willing to disclose...

I paid 5.99 per bottle. What did your store sell them for?
  • Options
    MaxGoldenrodMaxGoldenrod Posts: 1,341
    Tonight's sampling...Harpoon Leviathan IPA and a Half Cycle IPA B
    by Flat 12 Bierworks.
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?
  • Options
    MFCarissa wrote:

Check out the selection of local craft brews that Tigers fans will have this season:

On draft: Bell’s Brewery Oberon, Bell’s Brewery Two-Hearted Ale, New Holland Brewing Full Circle, Founders Brewing Company All Day IPA, Arbor Brewing Company Strawberry Blonde, Atwater Brewery D Light, Atwater Brewery Dirty Blonde, Atwater Brewery Vanilla Java Porter, Arcadia Ales Sky High Rye and Motor City Brewing Works Ghettoblaster.

On bottle: Atwater Cherry Wheat, Atwater Purple Gang Pilsner, Atwater Detroit Pale Ale, Atwater Decadent Dark Chocolate Ale, Bell’s Brewery Third Coast Beer, Bell’s Third Coast Beer, Bell’s Brewery Kalamazoo Stout, Bell’s Brewery Amber Ale, New Holland White Hatter Belgian Style White Pale Ale, New Holland Sundog Amber Ale, New Holland Monkey King Saison Farmhouse Ale, Founders Scotch Style Ale, Founders Porter, Arbor Brewing Company Bollywood Blonde, Arbor Brewing Company Ypsi Gypsy Pale Ale, Arcadia Ales Whitsun Wheat Ale and Arcadia Ales Angler’s Ale.

Wow, and I thought it was cool when Leinenkugels got a stand at Lambeau. :lol:
  • Options
    MFCarissaMFCarissa Posts: 494

Sunset wheat was what I was previously drinking at Comerica Park. I also like how ESPN edited Dirty Bastard to "Founders Scotch Style Ale."
    Using up my Ovaltine... like Ovaltine.
  • Options
    jbarbianjbarbian Posts: 991
    adam42381 wrote:
    jbarbian wrote:
    Does anyone here have any experience with gluten free beer? My sister has celiac and I promised her I would find a decent tasting one for her, but everytime I'm at the store I chicken out on buying some. I don't want to waste money on shitty tasting beer.

Any ideas or recomendations? I trust opinions in this thread more the a random Google search. Thanks.
    I haven't had any myself, but this thread from BA has a few suggestions that may be worth trying:

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threa ... eer.66901/
    Thank you! I will forward this on to my sister!
  • Options
    MFCarissa wrote:

Sunset wheat was what I was previously drinking at Comerica Park. I also like how ESPN edited Dirty Bastard to "Founders Scotch Style Ale."

lol, I noticed that too. I wonder if they edited it at the ballpark?

Drank the Goose Island Night Stalker this weekend. It was good but I probably wont get it again. It had a fruity kind of flavor. Some may love it, I just thought it was ok.
  • Options

I paid 5.99 per bottle. What did your store sell them for?

We came in at 4.99. $5.99 is respectable
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,302
    Made the trip down to Muenster and picked up a case of zombie dust and gumball head.... IMO the only drinkable craft beer produced near Chicago.
  • Options
    Made the trip down to Muenster and picked up a case of zombie dust and gumball head.... IMO the only drinkable craft beer produced near Chicago.

you should be flamed for this statement...

While most things 3F's makes are very, very, good, and the two particular beers you mention are widely regarded as the best of their portfolio except for Dark lord, by no means is it the "only drinkable craft beer produced near Chicago"....
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,302
    shep wrote:

While most things 3F's makes are very, very, good, and the two particular beers you mention are widely regarded as the best of their portfolio except for Dark lord, by no means is it the "only drinkable craft beer produced near Chicago"....

Please enlighten me then, and if anywhere in your response you mention Goose Island you have no credibility in my eyes.
  • Options
    Picked up a bomber of Goose Island Big John Imperial Stout http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1549/67156
    and a four pack of Capital Brewery Blonde Doppelbock. It has won many awards apparently.
    http://www.capital-brewery.com/OurBeers ... lbock.aspx

I am excited to try the Capital. :D
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    shep wrote:

Please enlighten me then, and if anywhere in your response you mention Goose Island you have no credibility in my eyes.
    Revolution Brewing immediately comes to mind.
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,792
    Mamasan23 wrote:

Revolution is great. Half Acre is pretty damn good too.
  • Options
    Picked up a bomber of Goose Island Big John Imperial Stout http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1549/67156
    and a four pack of Capital Brewery Blonde Doppelbock. It has won many awards apparently.
    http://www.capital-brewery.com/OurBeers ... lbock.aspx

I am excited to try the Capital. :D

Had a couple of the Doppelbacks last night. It was pretty good but I think at $8 a four pack it is a little over priced. I think $10 a 6 pack would be better. Still prefer the Maibach.
  • Options
    MFCarissaMFCarissa Posts: 494
    Using up my Ovaltine... like Ovaltine.
  • Options
    I was at Woodmans and talking to the distributor who was there when I bought my KBS. He told me a bar downtown(Ned Kellys) had a Founders Tap Takeover event last Friday. They had a quarterbarrel of KBS. $20 got you a flight a pint and snifter of KBS!! I wanted to cry because I missed it. :cry:
  • Options
    Mamasan23 wrote:

Revolution is great. Half Acre is pretty damn good too.

I'd add Pipeworks to that list...

Unfortunately I don't live in Chicago, so I don't know too many, but when I was there I certainly did enjoy half acre and pipeworks.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Chicago beer is over rated. Goose island isn't even craft in my book anymore. (owned by in bev)

i have not tried revolution, so i will reserve judgement, but in general, Chicago makes average beer at best.

laquantis is opening a plant here, so that may change...but in fairness, they are still west coast
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    and that bourbon ale blows. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:

Never had the bourbon ale. It sounded gross.
  • Options
    81 wrote:

Never had the bourbon ale. It sounded gross.

i didn't read the label close enough...just saw K and bourbon and made the conclusion to stout.... :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp:

it's defianlty an acquired taste.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg