The Craft Beer Thread....

Comments

• Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    81 wrote:

ah ha... just saw it.

seems like the date would be better suited to something else. :lol:

wonder what brewers will be there. :think:

Yeah that was done on purpose :lol: I know the promoters of it ;) They're announcing brewers this week, it's gonna be awesome!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • shepshep Posts: 5,763
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    FINALLY got some DFH 120 Minute over the weekend. Wow wow wow. It was most excellent, definitely a sipper. Of course I probably should have aged it but I've been waiting so long to try it I just went for it :lol: I keep going back and forth between DFH and Three Floyd's as my favorite breweries.

Not everyone sips it, lol. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvL-rGa6lWc

:shock: :shock: That makes me sad...such a waste of tasty deliciousness! That man should be fined!!!!!!

what a waste of great beer...

I recently only got my first taste of 120 during the fall when the TABC allowed Sam to sell 120 in the state of Texas again... finally... bought 7 bottles... enjoyed one, gonna sit on the rest for a while and see how long they last before I break down and start seeing how it ages...

Mamasan23 wrote:
    81 wrote:

Oooh 3 Floyds will be there nice!! Did you see the one I posted about that will be in Schaumburg?

mmmmmm.... 3 floyds... when I was in Chicago last summer I drank everything from them I could get my hands on... The Dreadnaught and the Alpha King were my favorites... either of you Chicagoans have any interest in sending me anything from 3 floyds? i have lots of good Texas trades.... if you're into sours I can get my hands on all things jester king... definitely one of the best sour breweries in the country.

the idiot that I was when I was in chicago last summer: I was in Public House talking with the bartender on Thursday afternoon about beer... and he put a gumball head on the counter in front of me and told me I needed to try it... I told him no, I had to go after I finished this glass, but i'd come back later.... he told me I needed to stay and have it now or I wouldn't get the chance... I didn't believe him... I spent the rest of the fucking weekend looking for that beer... when I got back to public house saturday afternoon, he was working and I walked up and said "I'll have that gumball head now ".... he just looked at me and laughed before explaining that they get like 2 cases of it every month when it's in season and that those were all gone shortly after I left the bar on thursday...

stupid me.... :fp:
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    just bought a couple 6 packs over the weekend:

milk_stout_bottle_glass_494478432.png
    shep wrote:
    mmmmmm.... 3 floyds... when I was in Chicago last summer I drank everything from them I could get my hands on... The Dreadnaught and the Alpha King were my favorites... either of you Chicagoans have any interest in sending me anything from 3 floyds? i have lots of good Texas trades.... if you're into sours I can get my hands on all things jester king... definitely one of the best sour breweries in the country.

the idiot that I was when I was in chicago last summer: I was in Public House talking with the bartender on Thursday afternoon about beer... and he put a gumball head on the counter in front of me and told me I needed to try it... I told him no, I had to go after I finished this glass, but i'd come back later.... he told me I needed to stay and have it now or I wouldn't get the chance... I didn't believe him... I spent the rest of the fucking weekend looking for that beer... when I got back to public house saturday afternoon, he was working and I walked up and said "I'll have that gumball head now ".... he just looked at me and laughed before explaining that they get like 2 cases of it every month when it's in season and that those were all gone shortly after I left the bar on thursday...

:shock: :shock: :shock: You missed the Gumballhead?! You know though, I personally prefer Alpha King and Robert the Bruce over GH. I would be happy to send some 3Floyd's to you though! I'll have to check and see what my local depot has, they usually have the Dreadnaught and Moloko Milk Stout, I'll check in this week and let you know!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • shep wrote:

Looks like they are making gumball head year round now. http://www.3floyds.com/our-beers-2/
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • BubbaBubba Posts: 631
    davidtrios wrote:

Try their Milk Stout Nitro, its amazing.

Had a Triumph Brewing Co. Coffee and Cream stout last night that was really good.
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    Bubba wrote:
    davidtrios wrote:

Had a Triumph Brewing Co. Coffee and Cream stout last night that was really good.

i had hinterland luna coffee stout (nitro) at a bar last night..something about that nitrous gives it a great texture.
    Joining this discussion a bit late but do any of you guys use the Untappd app?? Sorry if it's already been discussed.
    davidtrios wrote:
    Bubba wrote:
    davidtrios wrote:

i had hinterland luna coffee stout (nitro) at a bar last night..something about that nitrous gives it a great texture.

Definitely, the nitro definitely gives it a great smooth texture, the way they were able to capture that in their bottled milk stout is great. Definitely give it a try.
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    shep wrote:

:shock: :shock: :shock: You missed the Gumballhead?! You know though, I personally prefer Alpha King and Robert the Bruce over GH. I would be happy to send some 3Floyd's to you though! I'll have to check and see what my local depot has, they usually have the Dreadnaught and Moloko Milk Stout, I'll check in this week and let you know!

Awesome! Thanks so much!

Let me know if there's anything I can try and locate for you in Texas in return! if not, happy to send $.
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
    Bubba wrote:
    Joining this discussion a bit late but do any of you guys use the Untappd app?? Sorry if it's already been discussed.

Yep! I'm Shannon M in Schaumburg. Great app!
    shep wrote:

Awesome! Thanks so much!

Let me know if there's anything I can try and locate for you in Texas in return! if not, happy to send $.

No prob! That Jester King sounds interesting, I've never tried it! Do they have any good IPAs or stouts?
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    shep wrote:

Awesome! Thanks so much!

No prob! That Jester King sounds interesting, I've never tried it! Do they have any good IPAs or stouts?

Their Black Metal stout (their flagship) is quite epic:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24018/75396

however it was even better when they first opened for business - they tweaked the recipe about 6 months ago, and personally I don't like it as much, but it is still great. If you never had the original, well you won't even know what I'm talking about.

what the brewery specializes in though is sours.... they have all kinds of rotating barrels that their bottling constantly... if you like sour beers, this is a brewery to try, as you normally can't get it outside of their stuff outside of texas (they have brought stuff to a couple of chicago beer festivals though I know... what the connection there is I'm not sure...)..

anyway, if you have an interest in sours they have an excellent Flemish red sour out right now that I could most likely find another bottle or 2 of for some trades...

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24018/87637
    shep wrote:
    Their Black Metal stout (their flagship) is quite epic:
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24018/75396
    however it was even better when they first opened for business - they tweaked the recipe about 6 months ago, and personally I don't like it as much, but it is still great. If you never had the original, well you won't even know what I'm talking about.
    what the brewery specializes in though is sours.... they have all kinds of rotating barrels that their bottling constantly... if you like sour beers, this is a brewery to try, as you normally can't get it outside of their stuff outside of texas (they have brought stuff to a couple of chicago beer festivals though I know... what the connection there is I'm not sure...)..
    anyway, if you have an interest in sours they have an excellent Flemish red sour out right now that I could most likely find another bottle or 2 of for some trades...
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24018/87637

...you had me at Black Metal! :lol:

I've never tried sours...it would definitely be cool to try! I'll get over to my place this week and let you know what they've got and we can figure out a trade :D
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Bubba wrote:

Cool....if you see a request from Bob B in PA that's me :)

Definitely a really cool app!
    Bubba wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Bubba wrote:

:thumbup:
    Bubba wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Bubba wrote:

is it really worth the download costs?

I haven't been recording my tastings as much lately... i used to at least try and keep track of what I had and if I liked it over on BA, but having to go find the computer the next day (if I'm not drinking at home) makes it a little tedious as times...
    Download costs?? It was free when I downloaded it.
  • davidtrios wrote:
    Bubba wrote:
    davidtrios wrote:

Hinterland is good stuff. I love the Luna Stout.
  • davidtrios wrote:

Just had one of these. Really good. very smooth. It definitely has that cream aftertaste right away. Really good. I bought a 6 of the nitro stout. chilling tonight. Will try tomorrow or next day. :D
  • davidtrios wrote:

Just had one of these. Really good. very smooth. It definitely has that cream aftertaste right away. Really good. I bought a 6 of the nitro stout. chilling tonight. Will try tomorrow or next day. :D

Drinking the Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro now. YUM! I think I may have found a replacement for Guinness. Doesnt have that cream aftertaste like the non nitro milk stout, which I liked, but it is delicious. I may just go back and forth. :D
  • Also a fan of the Left Hand Milk Stout. Had a Cherry Stout from Blue Point yesterday that was quite tasty as well.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Also a fan of the Left Hand Milk Stout. Had a Cherry Stout from Blue Point yesterday that was quite tasty as well.

I cant bring myself to try the berry flavored beers.
  • Currently enjoying a Half Acre Daisy Cutter right now. Fresh and direct from the brewery. I love this beer.
    Currently enjoying a Half Acre Daisy Cutter right now. Fresh and direct from the brewery. I love this beer.

Do they have any of the Chocolate Camaro?!? Can't get that anywhere by me
  • Bubba wrote:
    Currently enjoying a Half Acre Daisy Cutter right now. Fresh and direct from the brewery. I love this beer.

Do they have any of the Chocolate Camaro?!? Can't get that anywhere by me

They don't have any right now. This is what they currently have. Haven't tried the chocolate camaro...I'll have to check it out when they have it next. The brewery is like a mile from my place...I go there all the time. So many good beers.

https://phineas-jones-ax2j.squarespace.com/store/

I cant bring myself to try the berry flavored beers.
    I know where you're coming from but it was very subtle and complimented the stout nicely.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Bubba wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Bubba wrote:

Love that app. Use it every time I put back a brew.
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?
  • Popped open a growler of Palate Wrecker tonight...most tasty
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

• Also if you're in the Indy area, I suggest trying the Flat 12 Half Cycle IPA