Options

The Craft Beer Thread....

Comments

• Options
    Jnich2424Jnich2424 Posts: 608
    Had some Oskar Blues "Ten Fidy" earlier, and now I'm drinking some Ballast Point "Victory At Sea Imperial Porter" It's been crazy since I got back. I've tried a lot of new stuff, and can't wait to get back to WI for a bit to try some good Founders and Three Floyds (plus more)
  • Options
    rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    Jnich2424 wrote:
    Had some Oskar Blues "Ten Fidy" earlier, and now I'm drinking some Ballast Point "Victory At Sea Imperial Porter" It's been crazy since I got back. I've tried a lot of new stuff, and can't wait to get back to WI for a bit to try some good Founders and Three Floyds (plus more)

No, Three Floyds in Green Bay but I had a Founders Breakfast Stout at dinner the other night. I think it is appropriately named. Strong chocolate and coffee flavors and that smooth creamy oats taste at the end. Also had a Dirty Bastard, it was good too.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Had a Ninkasi Babylon DIPA and a Boneyard Venom DIPA last night. Both were rather tasty and smooth.
    #FHP
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,505
    A new brewery, Fort Myers Brewing Company, opened here last week. I get off work at 2:25 (high school teacher) and their tasting room opens at 3:00. That works out perfectly.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    MaxGoldenrodMaxGoldenrod Posts: 1,341
    Looking into my crystal ball...

I see growlers of multiple craft brews being brought home this weekend.

Stocking up for our annual cabin in the mountains trip.

Mmmm... :D
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?
  • Options
    Local taproom is having an IPA fest this weekend. Going tomorrow. Over 50 breweries represented. Will definitely be drinking some Pliny as well as many others.
    #FHP
  • Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,659
    Horos wrote:
    Local taproom is having an IPA fest this weekend. Going tomorrow. Over 50 breweries represented. Will definitely be drinking some Pliny as well as many others.

lucky bastard...

i thought i was doing good by planning to have my 'enjoy by 04/01/2013' and pizza...

a new brewery officially started distributing here in houston yesterday... called 8th wonder.... might have to wander out and try and find a glass at one of the local establishments in the area....
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    Horos wrote:

Nice!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,606
    I don't mean to brag but I live in Colorado where we have just over 170 breweries and brewpubs with roughly 80 more coming online in the next year or so.

I live in Boulder to be more specific where I have roughly16 breweries and brewpubs within walking and bike riding distance. Plus another 50 or so within an hours drive.

Boulder is also home to the brewers Association
    And every October we have the Great American Beer festival in Denver

And they just keep coming!!

:D
  • Options
    he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    adam42381 wrote:
    A new brewery, Fort Myers Brewing Company, opened here last week. I get off work at 2:25 (high school teacher) and their tasting room opens at 3:00. That works out perfectly.
    We've got another small craft brewery opening here too, called Aardwolf Brewery. I'm expecting big things as the dude opening the place used to be a brewer with Terrapin. That brings lil ole Jacksonville to 5 true craft breweries, out of which I enjoy Intuition's beer the best.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options
    I don't mean to brag but I live in Colorado where we have just over 170 breweries and brewpubs with roughly 80 more coming online in the next year or so.

I live in Boulder to be more specific where I have roughly16 breweries and brewpubs within walking and bike riding distance. Plus another 50 or so within an hours drive.

Screw you.
  • Options

That sounds like Portland. :)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,606

Screw you.

:lol:
  • Options
    mfc2006 wrote:

From wikipedia:
    In July 2011, representatives from the Oregon Brewers Festival declared Portland had 40 microbreweries located within the city limits, more than any city in the world and greater than one-third of the state total. Many have won nationwide and international acclaim. There are also many nanobreweries in Oregon such as Pale Horse brewery in Salem, Oregon which is expected to produce approximately 1,440 barrels in 2011. According to the Oregon Brewers Guild, there is an estimated 159 microbreweries in Oregon (2011).
    #FHP
  • Options

:D:D:D

Screw you.
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

• Options
    Had a couple HInterland Luna Coffee Stouts tonight. If you like coffee. This beer is fantastic.
  • Options
    Horos wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:

From wikipedia:
    In July 2011, representatives from the Oregon Brewers Festival declared Portland had 40 microbreweries located within the city limits, more than any city in the world and greater than one-third of the state total. Many have won nationwide and international acclaim. There are also many nanobreweries in Oregon such as Pale Horse brewery in Salem, Oregon which is expected to produce approximately 1,440 barrels in 2011. According to the Oregon Brewers Guild, there is an estimated 159 microbreweries in Oregon (2011).

for the record: i hate you both.

i live in houston, the fourth biggest city in the US, with population of 7 million + people, and up until 16 months ago, there was 1, i repeat 1, craft brewery in the entire city. yes, that is correct.

in the past 16 months, we added 4 more, with the newest actually delivering their first kegs yesterday...and of those 5 total breweries, one of them isn't actually even in houston - it's in katy... a suburb about 30 minutes away from the actual city (although I don't really have much to complain about as the other 4 breweries are less than a $10 cab ride from my front door.... :D )

moral of the story: don't bicker, just be happy we all have more choice than ever before. 8-)
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    Georgia's growing as well in the craft beer and micro/nanobrew market. Two weeks ago, I only knew of three microbreweries in the state, but then learned of at least 4 more, one of which is all of 5 minutes from my house. And that doesn't include the bar/restaurants that are now making their own beer.

I now do the growler thing and specifically look for a local brew to fill one of the bottles whenever I go for a refill.

• Options
    Oatmeal for breakfast.

55b77d9ab5d0__1362934732000.jpg?tw=0&th=720&s=true&rs=false
    #FHP
  • Options
    Horos wrote:
    Oatmeal for breakfast.

55b77d9ab5d0__1362934732000.jpg?tw=0&th=720&s=true&rs=false

Love the Oatis. SO damn good!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,505
    adam42381 wrote:
    We've got another small craft brewery opening here too, called Aardwolf Brewery. I'm expecting big things as the dude opening the place used to be a brewer with Terrapin. That brings lil ole Jacksonville to 5 true craft breweries, out of which I enjoy Intuition's beer the best.
    That's awesome. This one is the first craft brewery in Fort Myers. There's one in Naples that opened a few months back, but it's nice having one here in town. Another is scheduled to open in May and yet another one is in development. Exciting times down this way, at least for me. :D
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.

i live in houston, the fourth biggest city in the US, with population of 7 million + people, and up until 16 months ago, there was 1, i repeat 1, craft brewery in the entire city. yes, that is correct.

in the past 16 months, we added 4 more, with the newest actually delivering their first kegs yesterday...and of those 5 total breweries, one of them isn't actually even in houston - it's in katy... a suburb about 30 minutes away from the actual city (although I don't really have much to complain about as the other 4 breweries are less than a $10 cab ride from my front door.... :D )

moral of the story: don't bicker, just be happy we all have more choice than ever before. 8-)

That is surprising. Green Bay only has 100K people and we've had brewers for 20 years. Not sure exactly how many there are now but probably about 5 would be my guess. The most well known being Hinterland and Titletown. Seems the south is just now starting to get into the game. Must be more a whiskey thing down there.
  • Options

That is surprising. Green Bay only has 100K people and we've had brewers for 20 years. Not sure exactly how many there are now but probably about 5 would be my guess. The most well known being Hinterland and Titletown. Seems the south is just now starting to get into the game. Must be more a whiskey thing down there.

i think it's actually got more to do with the ass-backwards laws down here that were written in favor of (and in many cases actually by) the large corporate breweries. they have made it difficult and expensive for small breweries to start up in this state (Texas).... the government here is very resistive to change in any form...

up until last year it was actually illegal for a brewery to tell you where you can find their beers in the state of Texas. And no, that is not a joke. Hard to believe i know.

there is a small brewery here called Jester King (great brewery that produces primarily sours), that has recently been challenging lot of texas brewing laws as unconstitutional in the state legislature.... and winning, believe it or not. it's done great things for the states beer scene in the last 12-18 months, but it's incredibly shitty that this brewery has to pay so much out of their own pocket to make this type of thing become a reality....
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
  • Options
    IPA festival at a local taproom tonight. I'll list some of what we had later when I can see straighter.

a7a1e1696ce6__1362980888000.jpg?tw=0&th=720&s=true&rs=false
    #FHP
  • Options
    Horos wrote:
    IPA festival at a local taproom tonight. I'll list some of what we had later when I can see straighter.

a7a1e1696ce6__1362980888000.jpg?tw=0&th=720&s=true&rs=false
    Lucky bastard! :D

• Options
    LloydXmas wrote:

The Dick Schatz Taproom sounds very appealing. :lol:
  • Options
    shep wrote:

i think it's actually got more to do with the ass-backwards laws down here that were written in favor of (and in many cases actually by) the large corporate breweries. they have made it difficult and expensive for small breweries to start up in this state (Texas).... the government here is very resistive to change in any form...

up until last year it was actually illegal for a brewery to tell you where you can find their beers in the state of Texas. And no, that is not a joke. Hard to believe i know.

there is a small brewery here called Jester King (great brewery that produces primarily sours), that has recently been challenging lot of texas brewing laws as unconstitutional in the state legislature.... and winning, believe it or not. it's done great things for the states beer scene in the last 12-18 months, but it's incredibly shitty that this brewery has to pay so much out of their own pocket to make this type of thing become a reality....

That is ridiculous and unfortunate. You are right. There are probably a bunch of brewers on standby letting this one fight the battle for them and spend their money. Once they get everything cleared they will probably start popping up like crazy.
  • Options
    Here's what I had last night:

Pint of Pliny the Elder

Samples:
    Mikkeller/Lervig Double Eye PA (Imperial IPA 14%)
    Mikkeller Hop Burn (Imperial IPA 10%)
    Mikkeler/Anchorage Invasion (Saison IPA 8%)
    Anchorage Galaxy White IPA (White IPA 7%)
    Scheldebrouwerij Hop Ruiter (Belgian Strong 9.2%)
    Evil Twin Femme Fatale Brett (Belgian IPA 6%)
    Brew Dog Punk (IPA 5.6%)
    Pelican Silverspot IPA (IPA 6%)
    Dogfish Head Aprihop (Fruit IPA 7%)
    Bend Brewing Elk Lake IPA (IPA 6.5%)
    Vertigo Brewing Friar Mike's IPA (IPA 6.1%)
    Boneyard Notorious IPA^3 (Triple IPA 12%)
    The Bruery Humulus (India Pale Lager 7.3%)
    Double Mountain Molten Lava (Imperial IPA 9.4%)
    Block 15 Sticky Hands (IPA 8.5%)
    Firestone Walker Wookey Jack (Black Rye IPA 8.3%)
    Green Flash Palate Wrecker (Triple IPA 9.5%)
    Lagunitas Sucks (IPA 7.85%)
    Heathen Son of Malice (Imperial IPA 8.1%)
    Gilgamesh Stunt Double (Imperial IPA 8.1%)

The Sucks, Punk, and Notorious IPA^3 rated the highest amongst our group. Only the Invasion was rated low.

Also left with a growler full of Pliny.
    #FHP
  • Options
    Horos wrote:
    Here's what I had last night:

Pint of Pliny the Elder

Samples:
    Mikkeller/Lervig Double Eye PA (Imperial IPA 14%)
    Mikkeller Hop Burn (Imperial IPA 10%)
    Mikkeler/Anchorage Invasion (Saison IPA 8%)
    Anchorage Galaxy White IPA (White IPA 7%)
    Scheldebrouwerij Hop Ruiter (Belgian Strong 9.2%)
    Evil Twin Femme Fatale Brett (Belgian IPA 6%)
    Brew Dog Punk (IPA 5.6%)
    Pelican Silverspot IPA (IPA 6%)
    Dogfish Head Aprihop (Fruit IPA 7%)
    Bend Brewing Elk Lake IPA (IPA 6.5%)
    Vertigo Brewing Friar Mike's IPA (IPA 6.1%)
    Boneyard Notorious IPA^3 (Triple IPA 12%)
    The Bruery Humulus (India Pale Lager 7.3%)
    Double Mountain Molten Lava (Imperial IPA 9.4%)
    Block 15 Sticky Hands (IPA 8.5%)
    Firestone Walker Wookey Jack (Black Rye IPA 8.3%)
    Green Flash Palate Wrecker (Triple IPA 9.5%)
    Lagunitas Sucks (IPA 7.85%)
    Heathen Son of Malice (Imperial IPA 8.1%)
    Gilgamesh Stunt Double (Imperial IPA 8.1%)

The Sucks, Punk, and Notorious IPA^3 rated the highest amongst our group. Only the Invasion was rated low.

Also left with a growler full of Pliny.

lucky bastard....

your palate must have been a complete wreck by the end of it. that is a lot of IBUs.