The Craft Beer Thread....

Comments

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    imalive wrote:
    I had their "fractional ipa" on christmas day and it was yummy :mrgreen:
    Not sure if i've had fractional but over the break i had their Daytime IPA is that the same as Fractional?

holy smokes a great tasting ipa that i could make into a session beer. I can't find it in bottle here my local beer pub had it on tap and i loved it
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I got some beers from out west i've never tried before. I think mostly from idaho:

Payette Brewing- Pale Ale (can)
    Sockeye IPA (Can)
    Grand Teto Brewing Lost Continent Double IPA (22 0z btl)
    Crooked Fence Derby Oatmeal IPA (22 oz btl)
    Odell Brewing IPA (12oz btl)
    Odell Brewing Myrcenary DIPA 12 oz btl)

Anyone had any of these?

I'm interested in teh oatmeal ipa. I've enjoyed oatmeal stouts but never an ipa!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    went up to kenosha on saturday to pick up some spotted cow...it was before the packers loss and everyone was wearing pack gear. i was mortified.

anyway, i ended up also buying new glarus serendipity, rassberry tart ale and a six pack of their coffee stout.

the serendipity, while only containing 4%ABV, was a treat. a+
    the rasberry ale was pretty damn good too. a-
    the coffee stout was decent. b
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,931
    just did a quick count of my beer fridge...AT LEAST 200 bottles in there....just stocked up on red hook long hammer, lagunitas pale ale and pils, racer x, some sam adams seasonal IPA, guinness.....even some pbr.

too much beer? :shock:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • imalive wrote:
    just did a quick count of my beer fridge...AT LEAST 200 bottles in there....just stocked up on red hook long hammer, lagunitas pale ale and pils, racer x, some sam adams seasonal IPA, guinness.....even some pbr.

too much beer? :shock:

Never...unless those PBR are the pounders. Then it's just enough :D
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • jbarbianjbarbian Posts: 991
    davidtrios wrote:
    went up to kenosha on saturday to pick up some spotted cow...it was before the packers loss and everyone was wearing pack gear. i was mortified.

anyway, i ended up also buying new glarus serendipity, rassberry tart ale and a six pack of their coffee stout.

Welcome to Kenosha!!!

Gotta try this place:
    http://www.rusticbrewing.com
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,962
    Had some Boneyard Hop Venom IPA, beats out Pliny the Elder.
  • rattzeyrattzey Posts: 877
    Went down to Beer Revolution (Calgary) they are having a hop-a-thon and |got to enjoy a Mikkeller 1000 IBU on tap, it was great
    Walkin on a slippery sidewalk listening to P.J
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Went to the first Brewfest of the year last night. Tried about 20 different brews. Most crowded I have ever seen it. Craft beer is getting more and more popular. Didn't take any notes this time around.
    #FHP
    They were taking free photos too. Here's part of our crew.

600457_10200622311346173_1727247256_n.jpg
    #FHP
  • The Atlanta area is growing in popularity with craft brewers.

I just picked up a growler of an IPA from a little brewer called Monday Night Brewing.

I've got another growler in the fridge of a different brew for Thursday night.
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?
  • jbarbianjbarbian Posts: 991
    Another great Southeast Wisconsin place! 3 locations!!!

http://mikelikesbeer.com/index.htm
  • davidtrios wrote:

Spotted Cow is great. I really like New Glaurus Totally Naked in the summer. A really nice clean crisp beer. Imagine Bud Light, but really good.

Also Capitol Brewerys Maibach is out for spring(Yes, their spring beer is out in February in Wisconsin) :roll: This is my favorite beer anywhere, anytime.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,962
    Horos wrote:
    Went to the first Brewfest of the year last night. Tried about 20 different brews. Most crowded I have ever seen it. Craft beer is getting more and more popular. Didn't take any notes this time around.

Which ones stood out for you?
  • shepshep Posts: 5,763
    Great haul at the beer store last night...

a 4-pack of Immort Ale
    a bottle of 75 min IPA
    (I know i know, that's regular shit to most of you, but even though DFH sells here in Texas, usually we don't get any of the seasonal or limited releases - just the year rounds, so I was pretty pumped)
    a bottle of Old Embalmer '12 from Windmer bros (had one already, was really good, glad I found a second one to age for a while)
    2 bottles of Jester King RU-55....

once I had a $70 tab I decided that was enough.
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    I had this bad boy last night. Bottled on 2/8/10. Incredible beer. I just hope that Founders ships some of these down here when they expand their distribution to Florida.
    2ysueW8.jpg
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    I had this bad boy last night. Bottled on 2/8/10. Incredible beer. I just hope that Founders ships some of these down here when they expand their distribution to Florida.
    2ysueW8.jpg

Pardon my ignorance but is Stout supposed to age? I thought beer was better when fresh.
    Go Beavers wrote:
    Horos wrote:

Which ones stood out for you?
    I had tasted a lot of what they had. A couple I remember liking though Double Mountain 2XIPA, Goodlife Descender IPA and something new from Ninkasi can't remember what it was called.

Ninkasi also had a keg of 2009 Critical Hit.
    #FHP
    adam42381 wrote:
    2ysueW8.jpg

Pardon my ignorance but is Stout supposed to age? I thought beer was better when fresh.
    The freshness mostly applies to IPAs. A lot of beers are being made to age these days. I bought one last September that says best after 9/13/13.
    #FHP
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,952
    adam42381 wrote:
    2ysueW8.jpg

KBS is already aged in barrels for over a year before it goes into bottles. It is also 11.2% alcohol. Not sure if it would get better with age (since I have only ever had one) but it would seem like a prime candidate, and if you have more than one it is worth a try.
  • shepshep Posts: 5,763
    adam42381 wrote:
    2ysueW8.jpg

KBS is already aged in barrels for over a year before it goes into bottles. It is also 11.2% alcohol. Not sure if it would get better with age (since I have only ever had one) but it would seem like a prime candidate, and if you have more than one it is worth a try.

Anything with that high an ABV I'd attempt to age... even an IPA.... the alcohol just mellows out so much more over the course of time...

That being said, alot of the stuff I'm aging right now are mostly belgains (quads and tripels) and stouts...

However, as others have said - try your IPA's fresh. IPA's tend to lose their nose over time and don't have the fresh, hoppy aromas that their known for when aged...
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    To anyone in the Chicagoland area...come and check out this Brew Fest in Schaumburg on April 20th:

http://www.ballparkbrewfest.com/

They're gonna have TONS of amazing craft brews and a couple of good bands playing!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Thanks for the info. I personally dont like IPAs. I tend to like the less hoppy more malty beers and stouts. The wife lobes IPA though. My alltime fav just got released for spring(in February!) a couple weeks ago. http://www.capital-brewery.com/OurBeers/Maibock.aspx

Want to try the Jacked Maibock too. http://www.capital-brewery.com/OurBeers.aspx
    FINALLY got some DFH 120 Minute over the weekend. Wow wow wow. It was most excellent, definitely a sipper. Of course I probably should have aged it but I've been waiting so long to try it I just went for it :lol: I keep going back and forth between DFH and Three Floyd's as my favorite breweries.
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Mamasan23 wrote:
    FINALLY got some DFH 120 Minute over the weekend. Wow wow wow. It was most excellent, definitely a sipper. Of course I probably should have aged it but I've been waiting so long to try it I just went for it :lol: I keep going back and forth between DFH and Three Floyd's as my favorite breweries.

Not everyone sips it, lol. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvL-rGa6lWc
    Mamasan23 wrote:

Not everyone sips it, lol. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvL-rGa6lWc

:shock: :shock: That makes me sad...such a waste of tasty deliciousness! That man should be fined!!!!!!
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

Oooh 3 Floyds will be there nice!! Did you see the one I posted about that will be in Schaumburg?
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    81 wrote:

Oooh 3 Floyds will be there nice!! Did you see the one I posted about that will be in Schaumburg?

ah ha... just saw it.

seems like the date would be better suited to something else. :lol:

wonder what brewers will be there. :think:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg