The Craft Beer Thread....

Comments

• Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    Friday night I had the Red Brick 17th Anniversary Ale aged in bourbon barrels....i swear it is one of the best beers I've ever had. Huge bourbon flavor unlike any other I've ever had. Awesome...check it out if you see it.
    A buddy was over that night who isn't so much into trying new beers but he had a few that night. When my buddy and I cracked one of those Red Brick's the drunk bastard went to the fridge and helped himself...he drank some and said goddamn that's strong....that there a few minutes, told him he better not waste it and then he went to the bathroom...fucker flushed it and left....I could've punched him in the face

Saturday we had a Sam Adams Imperial White which was good and last night had a Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout, also very good.
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • shepshep Posts: 5,764
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Shep, do you ship to NJ? ;)

Says the guys who's shipped beer to me before... :lol:

If you're ever in the state of TX, you're more than welcome to try a few of my home brew... :D
    adam42381 wrote:
    The wife and I went to the Red Sox-Rays game in St. Pete yesterday so I made sure we swung by Cigar City on the way home. I was able to try a few beers that I'd never had before, all which were really good. I tried 3 from Cigar City: Peach IPA, Riverwalk Pale Ale and Humidor Riverwalk Pale Ale. The Peach IPA really refreshing and highly drinkable. The standouts of the day weren't actually brewed at Cigar City, but were guest taps from Hill Farmstead in Vermont. The two they had, Nor Double IPA (which was a collaboration between Hill Farmstead and Cigar City) and Everett Robust Porter were phenomenal. The Everett was probably the best porter I've ever had.

Sne7a.jpg
    Hill Farmstead Nor DIPA http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22511/75499

QGk69.jpg
    Hill Farmstead Everett Robust Porter http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22511/61062/

7iasu.jpg
    Inside the brewery at Cigar City

Believe it or not, there is a funky law in the state of florida that requires all brew-pubs to have a "guest tap". Quite a weird concept i know - you run a tasting room on your own premises, but you're legally obligated to have someone else's beer there as an offering...

The only reason I know about this is I was on a tour of the St. Arnold brewery here in Houston and the tour guide was telling me that sometimes their beer makes it there for that purpose (normally they only distribute to TX and LA, but they occassionally do ship small out amounts outside of the state to their brewing friends... all legally of course)...

Had the DR12 last night and it was quite a tasty beverage... can't wait for the public release at the end of the month... hopefully I manage to get a few sixer's....
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    Cigar City always has around 6 guest beers on tap. This is the first time I've been tempted to try them. Big thumbs up to Hill Farmstead.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    shep wrote:
    RFTC wrote:
    shep wrote:
    just cracked a Lazy magnolia deep south pale ale... damn it's a good beer... I hope the brewery doesn't go crazy and get away from making great sessionable beers now that the mississippi state laws have changed... :?

yo shep, tell us what your homebrewing? i kicked out a west coast saison on thur night, it's fermenting now for another 9 days then 7 days in dry hop.

share your first plunge!
    :corn:

I just brewed a simple pale ale... wanted to do something "easy" for my first try... although I did modify the recipe a little and add an extra blast of cascade hops at the end of the boil cause I had a bunch left over that were just going to get tossed... I figured if i added them at the end I'd at least give the beer a nice aroma...

Don't know how the whole process is going to work out... woke up this morning to check it out and the airlock on my glass carboy had eruppted and foamy krusen was everything in the bath tub (luckily I had the foresight to use the spare bathroom as my brewing room) 8-)... Anyway, i just finished cleaning it up and attached a 1" blow off tube instead... it's still bubbling, so hopefully i haven't done too much damage to the brew... did have to break the airlock a couple of times to get the hose set just right... :?

On a side note RFTC - I'm going to the feast of Saint Arnold tonight down at the brewery. If you didn't hear about it, it's a charity fundraiser put off by the brewery. A five course meal with beer pairings prepared by one of Landry's head chefs.... and the first public preview of Divine Reserve 12 too boot!

good luck w/the pale ale, if your doing a secondary, add another ounce of cascade or amarillo and you will get even better aroma that will stay a bit longer in the bottle.

not doing the st arnold dinner although it looks great.

have you tried karbach's beers yet? ive liked all 3 thus far w/the wit being my favorite...
    San Diego Sports Arena - Oct 25, 2000
    MGM Grand - Jul 6, 2006
    Cox Arena - Jul 7, 2006
    New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival - May 1, 2010
    Alpine Valley Music Theater - Sep 3-4 2011
    Made In America, Philly - Sep 2, 2012
    EV, Houston - Nov 12-13, 2012
    Dallas-November 2013
    OKC-November 2013
    ACL 2-October 2014
    Fenway Night 1, August 2016
    Wrigley, Night 1 August 2018
    Fort Worth, Night 1 September 2023
    Fort Worth, Night 2 September 2023
    Austin, Night 1 September 2023
    Austin, Night 2 September 2023
    RFTC wrote:

good luck w/the pale ale, if your doing a secondary, add another ounce of cascade or amarillo and you will get even better aroma that will stay a bit longer in the bottle.

not doing the st arnold dinner although it looks great.

have you tried karbach's beers yet? ive liked all 3 thus far w/the wit being my favorite...

I've had Rodeo Clown, Hopadillo, and Sympathy for the Lager... my favorite of the bunch is definitely sympathy... quite a sessionable beer. I like the hopadillo a lot... unfortunately when I drink the rodeo clown I always get smacked in the face with a medicinal taste that lingers and I'm not a big fan of... maybe it was the batch I had... will have to try it again.

Everyone tells me Wiesse Versa is the best thing they brew, but I'm generally not a big fan of the wheat base, so I haven't tried it yet.

I actually have a 1/2 growler filled with Hopadillo that's been double dry-hopped (compared to the normal recipe) from the Hay merchant... probably going to give it a whirl tomorrow or Wednesday....
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    been drinking DFH 90 minute IPA with my sister and brother in law the past few days... me likey :D
  • MotoDCMotoDC Posts: 947
    I'm embarrassed to say I've been traveling to Tampa for work for almost a year and still haven't stopped by CCB's brewpub. I've had plenty of jai lai (their amazingly amazing IPA) on tap from local bars, but nothing directly from the brewery. Might need to change that tonight if I can get out of work early enough!
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    conman wrote:
    been drinking DFH 90 minute IPA with my sister and brother in law the past few days... me likey :D

:thumbup:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    edited July 2012
    MotoDC wrote:
    I'm embarrassed to say I've been traveling to Tampa for work for almost a year and still haven't stopped by CCB's brewpub. I've had plenty of jai lai (their amazingly amazing IPA) on tap from local bars, but nothing directly from the brewery. Might need to change that tonight if I can get out of work early enough!
    Do it. They always have some great things on tap.

http://www.cigarcitybrewing.com/index.p ... &Itemid=31
    Post edited by adam42381 on
    Finishing up this bad boy. The Lost Abbey's Red Poppy Ale. If you like sour ales, you'll love this one. Tons of tart cherries with just the right amount of oak in the background. Excellent.

BsOug.jpg
    That looks awesome!!
    PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
    Does anyone who posts in this thread live in the greater LA area?

I have to travel to Anaheim for work on Friday, and I should have 3 or 4 hours Friday evening to myself... wondering if (a) there's any good brew pubs near disney land (yes, cawincedently where I have to travel for work is within about 10 blocks of disney) and (b) there's any good beer stores in the area? I have this notion that if I get to the beer store early enough I could maybe pick up some items I can't normally get in TX and either ship it or pack it well enough to bring back with me....

Thanks for the help!

Also super excited to try in 'n' out burger for the first time... :D ... I'm not sure if this trip is for work, or me... :lol:
    shep wrote:

I have to travel to Anaheim for work on Friday, and I should have 3 or 4 hours Friday evening to myself... wondering if (a) there's any good brew pubs near disney land (yes, cawincedently where I have to travel for work is within about 10 blocks of disney) and (b) there's any good beer stores in the area? I have this notion that if I get to the beer store early enough I could maybe pick up some items I can't normally get in TX and either ship it or pack it well enough to bring back with me....

Thanks for the help!

Also super excited to try in 'n' out burger for the first time... :D ... I'm not sure if this trip is for work, or me... :lol:

I don't live there, but you may want to check out reviews on BeerAdvocate. I think you have to be signed in to view them.

Entire LA area:
    http://beeradvocate.com/beerfly/list?&c ... rt=reviews

Anaheim:
    http://beeradvocate.com/beerfly/list?ci ... US&s_id=CA
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    conman wrote:

:thumbup:

My favorite brew EVER

I would have a six pack (my stomach) if it were not for this beer :lol:
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    shep wrote:

Thanks for the help!

I don't live in LA (reside in San Diego) but last night I met Jon Carpenter and Meg Gill of Golden Road Brewing in LA...
    about 40 min drive (30 miles) north of Anaheim proper, if u have 3-4 hours to kill you DEF NEED to get to Golden Road Brewing...
    I tried their IPA and Heff last night (@Stone Brewery) and it was fantastical, really - plus, they were cool as hell - I would imagine their brew pub is stocked with their kind of folk...
    http://goldenroad.la/

That being said, Stone unfortunately ran out of the 10th Anniversary Ruination :evil: - BUT I came home with a growler of Double Hopped IPA and its magnificent.

PROST!
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24~9.29.24
    adam42381 wrote:

I don't live there, but you may want to check out reviews on BeerAdvocate. I think you have to be signed in to view them.

Entire LA area:
    http://beeradvocate.com/beerfly/list?&c ... rt=reviews

Anaheim:
    http://beeradvocate.com/beerfly/list?ci ... US&s_id=CA

not much their for anaheim.... some driving might be in order... :fp:
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    2 Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ales is enough for me tonight
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Headed to Charleston this weekend. Hoping to get some Westbrook and maybe make Holy City's 1 year anniversary party on Saturday :D
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    intodeep wrote:
    Headed to Charleston this weekend. Hoping to get some Westbrook and maybe make Holy City's 1 year anniversary party on Saturday :D
    Close friend of mine lives in Charleston now, he's promised to bring me a load of good stuff from the locals next time he heads home.

Are you a fan of Red Brick? I've had Hoplanta and the 17th Anniversary ale this week...the 17th Anny is amazing...I'd take an IV of that shit. Even picked up another pricy 4pack yesterday.

Also picked up yesterday....
    Mendocino White Hawk (which I had last night and was damn good, though not quite as hoppy as I have grown to like) and Eye of the Hawk ale.
    Also Got the Stevens Point Whole Hog IPA, Rogue's John John Dead Guy, Rogue XS IPA (most I've ever spent on a bottle of beer) and a growler fill of Back Forty's Freckle Belly IPA...which is up for consumption tonight

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    I'll be going here in a few weeks.
    http://teaandbeer.com/
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    Big fan of that beer. Need to pick some up again soon.
    adam42381 wrote:
    Big fan of that beer. Need to pick some up again soon.
    They've said they intend to distribute here in the not-so-distant future....looking forward to that

• PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    extremely excited for Saturday July 21st...
    I just won a VIP pass to the San Diego Brew Fest - to taste 57 different brews
    YAY BEER
    Yummy
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24~9.29.24
  • RFTCRFTC Posts: 723

that was a gateway beer for me, once i had lil sumpin sumpin i never looked back...

i am soooo happy lagunitas made that a year round brew.

lagunitas is a close 2nd to stone for my favorite domestic brewer, love this irreverent dudes!
    MGM Grand - Jul 6, 2006
    Cox Arena - Jul 7, 2006
    Dallas-November 2013
    OKC-November 2013
    ACL 2-October 2014
  • RFTCRFTC Posts: 723
    FTR, Stone's 10th Anniversary Ruination is fkn incredible. If you have Stone distribution in your state and you are remotely a hop head, grab a bomber or 4 of these. Perfecto balance of malt and hops, and for the $, imo cannot be beat.
    MGM Grand - Jul 6, 2006
    Cox Arena - Jul 7, 2006
    Dallas-November 2013
    OKC-November 2013
    ACL 2-October 2014
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    living in the Boulevard double wide tonight
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    RFTC wrote:
    FTR, Stone's 10th Anniversary Ruination is fkn incredible. If you have Stone distribution in your state and you are remotely a hop head, grab a bomber or 4 of these. Perfecto balance of malt and hops, and for the $, imo cannot be beat.
    I agree that it's great. I didn't think it was that well-balanced, but I don't think Stone was looking for balance on this one. If you like bitter hops, this will be a dream come true. A real palate wrecker.
    adam42381 wrote:
    RFTC wrote:
    I agree that it's great. I didn't think it was that well-balanced, but I don't think Stone was looking for balance on this one. If you like bitter hops, this will be a dream come true. A real palate wrecker.
    Like they said, "Ruining palates for 10 years."
    :D
    #FHP
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    81 wrote:
    living in the Boulevard double wide tonight
    I had the Saison Brett from Boulevard last weekend and thought it was just ok
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,149
    I just got to work and I already know for sure that a DFH 120 IPA is going down the hatch tonight :lol:
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17