Options

The Craft Beer Thread....

Comments

• Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,505
    intodeep wrote:
    conman wrote:
    just had some sierra nevada torpedo extra ipa... pretty fuckin good!

also, my sisters fiance is gonna get me some faithfull ale from his buddy next week :D
    I think i've said it in this thread before but this is my fav easily accesable ipa and affordable as far as ipa's go.

adam42381 I really liked this year's wake n bake. I got it on tap and it was awesome. I hope it comes across as well in bottle. a great stout type beer
    I second the fact that Torpedo is a very good beer for the money. While I feel there are definitely many better IPAs out there, it's hard to beat it for the price.

I've heard nothing but good things about Wake n Bake. I've never been truly wowed by anything Terrapin puts out, so I'm hoping this one lives up to the hype.

EDIT: I take that back, I liked Big Hoppy Monster a lot.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    Grabbed the last bottle of DFH Fort at my place. They aren't making this in 2012, so I'm saving it I hope. 18% ABV.

The Sam Adams winter variety pack looks good too. You guys have any thoughts on Old Fezziwig Ale and Holiday Porter? Fezziwig has grown on me the last few years.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,951
    Grabbed the last bottle of DFH Fort at my place. They aren't making this in 2012, so I'm saving it I hope. 18% ABV.

The Sam Adams winter variety pack looks good too. You guys have any thoughts on Old Fezziwig Ale and Holiday Porter? Fezziwig has grown on me the last few years.

I got a bottle of Fort recently too but plan on opening it on Christmas Day. I would have grabbed another if I knew it was going away in '12.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    adam42381 wrote:
    intodeep wrote:
    conman wrote:
    just had some sierra nevada torpedo extra ipa... pretty fuckin good!

also, my sisters fiance is gonna get me some faithfull ale from his buddy next week :D
    I think i've said it in this thread before but this is my fav easily accesable ipa and affordable as far as ipa's go.

adam42381 I really liked this year's wake n bake. I got it on tap and it was awesome. I hope it comes across as well in bottle. a great stout type beer
    I second the fact that Torpedo is a very good beer for the money. While I feel there are definitely many better IPAs out there, it's hard to beat it for the price.

I've heard nothing but good things about Wake n Bake. I've never been truly wowed by anything Terrapin puts out, so I'm hoping this one lives up to the hype.

EDIT: I take that back, I liked Big Hoppy Monster a lot.
    Terrapin is usualy pretty standard except for their Side PRoject series which has had some really nice beers imho. so i pretty much agree with you. It is funny both Terrapin and Sweetwater's main line tend to be just okay (not bad but not speical) but their side projects/ dank tanks tend to put out some really fun beers.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    RFTCRFTC Posts: 723
    not sure if this has been posted yet, if you've not tried lagunitas sucks holiday ale, RUN to your beer store and grab a 6er or 2. off the hook pineapple, citrusy aroma w/a great malt backbone.

st arnolds' christmas ale is ok and SN celebration is as great as ever.

will be visiting jester king brewery on 12/31 and highly suggest wytchmaker rye if you get dist of JK.
    San Diego Sports Arena - Oct 25, 2000
    MGM Grand - Jul 6, 2006
    Cox Arena - Jul 7, 2006
    New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival - May 1, 2010
    Alpine Valley Music Theater - Sep 3-4 2011
    Made In America, Philly - Sep 2, 2012
    EV, Houston - Nov 12-13, 2012
    Dallas-November 2013
    OKC-November 2013
    ACL 2-October 2014
    Fenway Night 1, August 2016
    Wrigley, Night 1 August 2018
    Fort Worth, Night 1 September 2023
    Fort Worth, Night 2 September 2023
    Austin, Night 1 September 2023
    Austin, Night 2 September 2023
  • Options
    i picked up a few yesterday and while not a craft in the true sense i got strangford lough legbiter ale....holy shit that stuff is off the chain
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    RFTC wrote:
    not sure if this has been posted yet, if you've not tried lagunitas sucks holiday ale, RUN to your beer store and grab a 6er or 2. off the hook pineapple, citrusy aroma w/a great malt backbone.

st arnolds' christmas ale is ok and SN celebration is as great as ever.

will be visiting jester king brewery on 12/31 and highly suggest wytchmaker rye if you get dist of JK.
    I missed the sucks ale when it was at my pub :( and have not seen it in a package store :(
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    One night at Cheers, Cliff Clavin explained the" Buffalo Theory" to his buddy Norm:

"Well, ya see, Norm, it's like this. A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members! ; In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine! That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers."

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,639
    Stocked up for the next couple days with a case of Brooklyn Winter and I struck gold and found a case of Cigar City Jai Alai for only $32. Fuck yeah.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    miller lite :? :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,052
    Darkhorse brewing co-(Marshall Michigan) Amber ale. YUM!!!!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    Up in Vermont drinking long trail. There are a bunch of breweries I have never heard of that I'll have to try
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    My sister came through in a big way for Christmas;
    2 bottles of Bitches Brew
    2 bottles of Faithfull Ale
    2 bottles of Hellhound
    3 bottles of 120 IPA
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Get after that Long Trail Triple Bag, Cliffy. Its amazing.

I had another bottle of 4 Calling Birds and a bunch of Lagunitas Sucks on Xmas. Followed it up last night with Ballast Point Sculpin IPA and Rogue Chocolate Stout and 2 Sam Old Fezziwig Ales. Its been a great weekend.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    SVRDhand13 wrote:

I got a bottle of Fort recently too but plan on opening it on Christmas Day. I would have grabbed another if I knew it was going away in '12.

+1 - got lucky at Binny's this weekend and they had it, I wasn't even looking for it! Think I might stop by there tonight and buy whatever they have left.
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    Couldn't find the triple bag at the "general store" which is the only thing near the resort. Probably have better luck in Philly, haha. Drinking otter creek black ipa, not to shabby.
  • Options
    Drinking a Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout. One of my favorite stouts for the price.
    conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    my sister gave 2 bottles of faithfull ale for christmas.... i drank one on christmas eve
    not sure what to do with the other one :?

my cousin gave a me bottle of Fullers Old Winter Ale... it was good but not really my style
  • Options
    RFTCRFTC Posts: 723
    had a bottle of pj faithfull ale on christmas, pretty crappy imo. almost embarrased for DFH but respect the purpose behind it. i guess my recommendation is to drink it ice cold after a killer workout and you'll get something reminiscent of a rolling rock.
    San Diego Sports Arena - Oct 25, 2000
    MGM Grand - Jul 6, 2006
    Cox Arena - Jul 7, 2006
    New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival - May 1, 2010
    Alpine Valley Music Theater - Sep 3-4 2011
    Made In America, Philly - Sep 2, 2012
    EV, Houston - Nov 12-13, 2012
    Dallas-November 2013
    OKC-November 2013
    ACL 2-October 2014
    Fenway Night 1, August 2016
    Wrigley, Night 1 August 2018
    Fort Worth, Night 1 September 2023
    Fort Worth, Night 2 September 2023
    Austin, Night 1 September 2023
    Austin, Night 2 September 2023
  • Options
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Finally got to try the DFH Fort last weekend...WOW. It's obviously very sweet and definitely not for the casual beer drinker. That baby has some serious oomph to it. I split the bottle with 2 other people and we were all pretty buzzed just from that. Nice work DFH. Now I just wish I had bought another bottle!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Finally got to try the DFH Fort last weekend...WOW. It's obviously very sweet and definitely not for the casual beer drinker. That baby has some serious oomph to it. I split the bottle with 2 other people and we were all pretty buzzed just from that. Nice work DFH. Now I just wish I had bought another bottle!
    I'm sitting on 2 but need a partner to drink it. I be saving one.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    I'm sitting on 2 but need a partner to drink it. I be saving one.

:wave:
  • Options
    Picked up a couple of the Sam Adams winter variety packs....having never had any of those besides the boston lager and winter lager....the other four were very good...especially Black and Brew...my god I loved that stuff. Thankfully i've yet to open the second pack so I can look forward to four more rounds.

Also had in the last week...
    Heiner Brau Kolsch from Louisiana
    Nude Beach by Stevens Point
    ummm...perhaps I've had too many beers lately..i'm drawing a blank on the others

Edit: Strangford Lough Legbiter Ale is delicious

• Options
    I've become a big fan of Rogue over the last few months and was just curious if anybody has had the Rogue Voodoo Doughnut Bacon Maple? It sounds ridiculous, but bacon makes everything better....i don't see why the same couldn't be true for brew

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,442
    adam42381 wrote:
    Drinking a Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout. One of my favorite stouts for the price.

big fan
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Forgot to post about having Dogfish Head 120 on tap at World of Beer on New Year's Eve. Wow, that was a crazy night. The bar staff had been drinking it and most of them were drunk by midnight. One bartender passed out and was sleeping in a booth right beside some customers. It was a fun night and I'm glad I tried it on draft, but at $20 for a snifter I'd have a hard time recommending it. Also, for anyone in the area, Total Wine got a case in this week which they were selling for $9.99/bottle as of Wednesday.
    I'm taking the next 3 weeks to dry out from the holidays. I have a big weekend away with some friends at the end of the month. Wait, should this be in the AA thread?
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Had a 120 the other night. Ridiculously awesome.

Well the Sam Adams Brewmasters variety 12ers came in this week, so we're diving into those this weekend.

Irish Red
    Black Lager
    Alpine Spring (their new spring beer replacing Noble Pils - thank god)
    Mighty Oak Ale
    Whitewater IPA
    Boston Lager

Also tried Ballast Point Sculpin IPA the other day. Fantastic IPA.
  • Options
    Had a 120 the other night. Ridiculously awesome.

Well the Sam Adams Brewmasters variety 12ers came in this week, so we're diving into those this weekend.

Irish Red
    Black Lager
    Alpine Spring (their new spring beer replacing Noble Pils - thank god)
    Mighty Oak Ale
    Whitewater IPA
    Boston Lager

Also tried Ballast Point Sculpin IPA the other day. Fantastic IPA.
    I've only had two and liked both the Alpine Spring and Whitewater IPA. Unless I'm mistaken, Noble Pils (which I thought was pretty good) is now a year-round offering. Oh, and Sculpin, when fresh, is amazing. Too bad they still don't date their bottles, at least not that I know of.