Options

The Craft Beer Thread....

Comments

• Options
    I enjoyed the Rogue Mocha Porter a lot.
    Had the Anchor Porter a couple weeks ago and it was even better me thought
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,505
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    Just picked up DFH Squall and Chicory Stout, Sam Adams Winter, and Celebration Ale.
    Squall is great. Really want to get my hands on another bottle.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    Haven't tried DFH Squall but after tasting it on tap last week, I gotta get my hands on a 4pack of DFH Palo Santo Marron at some point. Powerful stuff.

I also have 2 bottles of DFH Olde School Barleywine saved for Christmastime.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,918
    Haven't tried DFH Squall but after tasting it on tap last week, I gotta get my hands on a 4pack of DFH Palo Santo Marron at some point. Powerful stuff.

I can never find Olde School or Immort!!! :evil:

I'm hoping to find both of them soon.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    Immorts out now, i grabbed 2 bottles last week,good stuff.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,361
    black chocolate stout-brooklyn brew

it will get ya.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,207

it will get ya.

No doubt...sneakily packs a wallop. Just picked up another four-pack last week along with Boulevard Dark Truth stout.
  • Options

I'm a big fan of almost everything Dogfish Head puts out. We finally have a bar, World of Beer, in town that serves craft beer and they're hosting a Dogfish Head night in a couple weeks. According to the GM, they're going to have around 10 different Dogfish beers on tap and he's been told by his rep that one of them will be DFH 120.
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,918
    Immorts out now, i grabbed 2 bottles last week,good stuff.

I know this is the one time of the year I have a chance to get it and Olde School. Those are the only 2 DFH I can think of that I have never tried (not including Brewery exclusives).
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    I'm planning on picking up some Olde School as well. Never had Immort, in fact I don't think I've ever seen it.
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,621
    adam42381 wrote:
    I'm planning on picking up some Olde School as well. Never had Immort, in fact I don't think I've ever seen it.

Plan to pick both of these up this week too. I haven't had either. Really liking the reviews I read of Immort.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    adam42381 wrote:

Plan to pick both of these up this week too. I haven't had either. Really liking the reviews I read of Immort.
    I cant recommend the DFH Olde School Barleywine enough. However, good luck trying to find it at this point. They have it on tap at a place here in Boston still I believe, but I havent seen it on shelves since early November. I grabbed the last 4 pack back then and saved two. Its intense.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,361
    pjl44 wrote:

it will get ya.

No doubt...sneakily packs a wallop. Just picked up another four-pack last week along with Boulevard Dark Truth stout.

10% abv :clap: ...enjoying another one right now
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    pjl44 wrote:

it will get ya.

10% abv :clap: ...enjoying another one right now

i'm so cutting edge

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=97635&p=4001943#p4001943

:P

but mine was only 9.7

still, it was good
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Forget about Faithfull Ale, now there is going to Hanson beer. MMMMhop!

Hanson burrowed into our heads with their hit 1997 song "MMMBop." Now they want space in our gullets with their soon-to-be-released beer MMMHop IPA.

This is not a hoax. The band -- composed of brothers Isaac, Taylor and Zac -- said so themselves this week.

“We of course make records -- they are fundamental to what we do,” said Zac Hanson during a speech at Oxford University Union, according to the Toronto Star. “But we wanted to create a brand so that our fans have a greater experience ... in fact, we are soon going to be selling our own beer.”

“I’m not even joking,” he added.

The members of the boy band wouldn’t be the first celebrities to transition from stumping for beverages to helping develop the drinks.

In June, the band Train -- of “Drops of Jupiter” fame -- introduced its “Save Me San Francisco Wine Club” and offered samples of a petite Syrah named after its hit song. Not long after, N.E.R.D. musician Pharrell Williams helped liquor company Diageo launch “Qream” -- a cream liqueur directed at women.

In the fall, British band Elbow began selling its “Build a rocket, boys!” golden ale, named after their most recent album, in pubs, universities and some retailers.

Rocker Marilyn Manson has a signature brand of absinthe called Mansinthe. Van Halen singer Sammy Hagar helped found the Cabo Wabo Tequila brand. Former White Sox baseball player Frank Thomas revealed his Big Hurt Beer this year.

Hanson’s Indian Pale Ale supposedly is arriving in stores next year. But although the band already has a board game (Hansonopoly) under its belt, don’t expect it to venture too far into the retail space.

“We will never make dolls, lunch boxes or toothbrushes that play our songs, for example,” Zac Hanson said.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • Options
    MMMHop :lol:

So what's everyone drinking this weekend?
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    good question...
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options

Think I am going to start stocking up for the holidays this weekend. Have a bunch of guests and I am hosting Christmas this year.

Right now I have two Faithfulls, a Hellhound, a Bitches Brew, a Cigar City Russian Imperial and 3 120 minute IPAs.

Going to pick up a case of Brooklyn Winter, I believe, then grab a few 750's and a random 6 pack or two.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Think I am going to start stocking up for the holidays this weekend. Have a bunch of guests and I am hosting Christmas this year.

Right now I have two Faithfulls, a Hellhound, a Bitches Brew, a Cigar City Russian Imperial and 3 120 minute IPAs.

Going to pick up a case of Brooklyn Winter (considering SN Celebration, but it's not they ladys favorite so I should probably get something she likes), I believe, then grab a few 750's and a random 6 pack or two.
  • Options
    Yeah Cliffy definitely time to stock up for the holidays. I gotta have this Brooklyn Winter. All the Brooklyn beers remind me of MSG2 and that night getting lost in Manhattan till 4am.

I can't get enough of this Troegs Mad Elf Ale. Had 2 more last night.

Quick question for ya: I grabbed a bottle of Delirium Noel last weekend only to realize its from last year. Will that affect the taste? Good or bad? Any thoughts?
  • Options
    Yeah Cliffy definitely time to stock up for the holidays. I gotta have this Brooklyn Winter. All the Brooklyn beers remind me of MSG2 and that night getting lost in Manhattan till 4am.

I can't get enough of this Troegs Mad Elf Ale. Had 2 more last night.

Quick question for ya: I grabbed a bottle of Delirium Noel last weekend only to realize its from last year. Will that affect the taste? Good or bad? Any thoughts?

I had Brooklyn Winger last year and enjoyed it. But now that you mention, the lady loves Mad Elf, so that is an option too depending on how much a case of it is. Been in your spot many a time wandering around Manhattan in the early early morning.

Ahh, good question. I can't say specifically how it will affect the taste, all beer ages a little differently from my very limited experience, but it is high alcohol content so it should age just fine. Would be cool to get one from this year and try both out to see the difference.
  • Options
    My guess is a case of Mad Elf will run in the 50 dollar range (at least up here it would). I paid $15 for a 6er the other day. Certainly not a session beer. I could probably only put down about 3-4 of those at a time.

Interesting proposition on the Noel. May have to try that. I was just a little concerned inspecting the bottle after purchase to see 2010 on it. I'm sure it'll be fine, but I can't be sure how it has been stored the last 12 months, so who knows.

Has Brooklyn ever considered doing a Dodgers, Giants, Muts or Yankees-related beer? Like an old timey ale for New York old timey baseball teams? They have a great brand down there with the baseball theme and this would seem like a great growth opportunity for special brews.
  • Options
    My guess is a case of Mad Elf will run in the 50 dollar range (at least up here it would). I paid $15 for a 6er the other day. Certainly not a session beer. I could probably only put down about 3-4 of those at a time.

Interesting proposition on the Noel. May have to try that. I was just a little concerned inspecting the bottle after purchase to see 2010 on it. I'm sure it'll be fine, but I can't be sure how it has been stored the last 12 months, so who knows.

Has Brooklyn ever considered doing a Dodgers, Giants, Muts or Yankees-related beer? Like an old timey ale for New York old timey baseball teams? They have a great brand down there with the baseball theme and this would seem like a great growth opportunity for special brews.

Yeah, I was t hinking in the $50 range, maybe a few bucks less. Will take a look around and do a little shopping before I buy a case, I think.

Yeah, good point on the storage. Worth a try, I would imagine places that handle beer like that wouldn't sell it if they didn't store it properly, but who knows.

Good question on that. They should, am sure they would have to fight with Inbev and everyone else that has a stake in MLB though. I can't think of it off the top of my head, but one of the beers has a very Dogerish packaging.
  • Options
    Just bought a bottle of DFH Theobroma. I've never had this one, or even seen it before. I hope it's good :D
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • Options
    Just bought a bottle of DFH Theobroma. I've never had this one, or even seen it before. I hope it's good :D
    I love theo. Having a 120 tonight,should be fun.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    Got a case of Brooklyn Winter. Eh, good, $35 a case, which you can't really beat. Haven't made it to the craft beer store yet to pick up a couple six packs.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,258
    Picked up a bottle of Odell Woodcut No. 3 last night.
    6309575323_7ea58c4f4f.jpg
    Forgot how expensive it is until I was checking out...but man, that's some tasty beer. Great fall/winter beer.
  • Options
    Just got back from the store. I got

2 Dogfish Immort
    2 Dogfish Olde School
    Anchor Our Special Ale
    Mad Elf
    Bluepoint Winter
    Rogue Santas Private Reserve
    Southern Tier Old Man Winter Seasonal
    Great Lakes Christmas Ale

Also stocked up on a lot of wine, Jameson, Jack and Woodford for the holidays. Going to be a drunk month.
  • Options
    The wife bought me a home brew kit for my birthday...I've been talking about buying one for ages now but just never got around to it. VERY excited to start brewin my own! Any home brewers have any tips for a rookie? Or perhaps, there is an entire thread about this *searches for home brewing thread*
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options
    The wife bought me a home brew kit for my birthday...I've been talking about buying one for ages now but just never got around to it. VERY excited to start brewin my own! Any home brewers have any tips for a rookie? Or perhaps, there is an entire thread about this *searches for home brewing thread*

I think I started a thread that got some decent responses a long time ago. I never got around to it though. Would really love to try it out though.