Options

The Craft Beer Thread....

Comments

• Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,505
    I ended up having PJ20 Faithfull Ale, Immort Ale and My Antonia. I must say that Faithfull was a big disappointment for me. I haven't written up a full review from my notes, but I thought it was just okay. I'm not that surprised because I had read reviews of it, but I'm still disappointed. I really think they should have gone with another style completely.

I'm really glad I got to try Immort and My Antonia. Immort had a lot of oak and scotch notes to it and, while boozy, it was pretty smooth. I also really enjoyed My Antonia. I really liked the way it seemed to be a perfect combination of a traditional pilsner with a hoppy IPA.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    It's been a really good week for me (beer wise)...buddy picked up Shiner Black Lager last night...pretty tasty, much better than the much-lauded Guinness variety to me
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    Tried an Southern Tier Chokolat the other day :shock:
    Wow, is that stuff good (and potent). But I dont think I could drink more than 10 oz or so.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options
    Wow, is that stuff good (and potent). But I dont think I could drink more than 10 oz or so.
    Yeah, I had this the other day with the Rogue Chocolate Stout. You're totally right. Amazing stuff but NOT a session beer. One and done beer.

Quick question for the group: I've been blown away by the Dogfish Immort Ale recently. The maple and vanilla is so tasty. Are there any equivalent beers out there like this? I'm sure with 1800 craft breweries in the US that someone has tried this other than Sam&Co at DFH.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,639
    Yeah, I had this the other day with the Rogue Chocolate Stout. You're totally right. Amazing stuff but NOT a session beer. One and done beer.

Quick question for the group: I've been blown away by the Dogfish Immort Ale recently. The maple and vanilla is so tasty. Are there any equivalent beers out there like this? I'm sure with 1800 craft breweries in the US that someone has tried this other than Sam&Co at DFH.

Been meaning to post about Immort and I will be of no help to your question. I wasn't the biggest fan. Love scotch but as a beer, I am not sure how much I like the scotchy/smokey flavor. Have one more in the fridge so will definitely be giving it another shot over the holidays. Olde School on the other hand is great.
  • Options
    How many of those Olde Schools did you get Cliffy? I only managed one 4pack back in early November. Drank 2 right away and Im saving 2. Wish I had bought more. Are you planning on aging any? They are supposedly even better after one year.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,639
    How many of those Olde Schools did you get Cliffy? I only managed one 4pack back in early November. Drank 2 right away and Im saving 2. Wish I had bought more. Are you planning on aging any? They are supposedly even better after one year.

I only got 2 but I bet the place I go still has them. They said they got 5 cases and they had a lot left a couple weeks ago. I drank 1 and have 1 left. Probably not going to age it unless I buy more, which I probably will if they still have it. I am going to age one 120 minute though.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I tried Lazy Magnolia's Southern Pecan Brown Ale and Bell's Extra Creamy over the weekend.

I enjoyed the Bells'. I would have liked it more if it was a little thicker, but i guess you can't be extra creamy and thick :)

Lazy Magnolia just started coming here to Atlanta by way of Mississippi and when i saw a Southern Pecan Brown ale it just sounded like a winner..... so instead of picking up a single or trying it at the bar first i went ahead and grabbed teh six pack........ :?

It was highly disapointing. Tasted more fruity than anything else. I drank two and then switched to my sierra nevada torpedo's i had to cleanse my palete :) Still got the other 4 in the fridge.. I'm hopine my roomate will drink them when he runs out of beer.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    adam42381 wrote:
    I ended up having PJ20 Faithfull Ale, Immort Ale and My Antonia. I must say that Faithfull was a big disappointment for me. I haven't written up a full review from my notes, but I thought it was just okay. I'm not that surprised because I had read reviews of it, but I'm still disappointed. I really think they should have gone with another style completely.

If they weren't going to go with another style at least drop the price point for the beer. Like you said it was ok and normally I wouldn't mind an ok beer, but when it cost 15 bucks it makes it quite a bit more annoying.
  • Options
    Thinking about getting a quarter keg of Long Trail Hibernator during the week between Xmas and New Years, leaving it in the back yard and going on a 3 day bender. Build a fire and let the keg flow.
  • Options
    RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    KRAMPUS
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,442
    a buddy from work brews his one beer. gave me a chocolate pecan stout to try this weekend. only one. looking forward to that this evening...

that counts as craft...right? :lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    a buddy from work brews his one beer. gave me a chocolate pecan stout to try this weekend. only one. looking forward to that this evening...

that counts as craft...right? :lol:
    No doubt!
    My buddy and I have been messing around with a kit the last few months and are planning on working toward doing our own brews in the spring...maybe we'll have some worthy of sharing :lol:

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,950
    Just picked up 2 more bottles of Faithfull (and it will be the last time I get), a bottle of Bitches Brew, and the last 120 Minute IPA at the store near my house.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    Still havent had Bitches Brew yet.

Did you guys see this press release from DFH on their 2012 offerings? Thoughts?
    http://beernews.org/2011/12/dogfish-head-burton-baton-going-year-round-wws-and-others-going-on-hiatus/
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Still havent had Bitches Brew yet.

Did you guys see this press release from DFH on their 2012 offerings? Thoughts?
    http://beernews.org/2011/12/dogfish-head-burton-baton-going-year-round-wws-and-others-going-on-hiatus/

this sounds interesting
    Also, don’t miss our new Ancient Ale, Ta Henket, inspired by a trip to the Egyptian pyramids.

not sure if i've had their stout, but it's always sad when the beer world loses a stout or porter
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    I want to try bitches brew pretty bad. I've not been able to get to my bottle store in time when they have had it :(
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Sad to hear that World Wide Stout is going on hiatus. I really liked that one. Of course, I'm excited that Burton Baton is going to be available year round.
    conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    just had some sierra nevada torpedo extra ipa... pretty fuckin good!

also, my sisters fiance is gonna get me some faithfull ale from his buddy next week :D
  • Options
    Picked up a 4 pack of Terrapin Wake n Bake tonight. Can't wait to try it.
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,052
    I've been drinking a ton of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale and Anchor Our Special Ale.
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    I don't know if I ever posted here but I am going to list my current favorites

Michigan Brewing Company's High Seas IPA
    Shorts brewing company's HUMA LUPA LICIOUS IPA
    Dogfish Head's 90 minute IPA
    Detroit Brewery's GhettoBlaster
    Bear Republic's Racer 5 IPA
    Bell's Two Hearted Ale
    Lagunita's IPA
    Sierra Nevada's Torpedo

I think I am an IPA man :lol:
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,442
    I've been drinking a ton of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale and Anchor Our Special Ale.

got a few celebrations left in the fridge. had anchor recently.

i'm not a fan of either actually....
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Celebration Ale could be the best beer I've ever had.

I tried a DFH Palo Santo(?) and wow that was some strong shit. Pretty good as well. I was able to get 2 bottle of DFH Fort as well. Anyone try that?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    I'm making a run today to stock up on Christmas cheer. Hope to find some good ones.
    Hows the Sierra Nevada Porter? My store just got it in

• Options
    I'm making a run today to stock up on Christmas cheer. Hope to find some good ones.
    Hows the Sierra Nevada Porter? My store just got it in

The Porter is one of the few Sierra's I haven't had yet.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:
    I was able to get 2 bottle of DFH Fort as well. Anyone try that?
    I haven't tried it. It's $16.99 at Total Wine for a 750ml bottle. What did you pay for it?
    adam42381 wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:
    I haven't tried it. It's $16.99 at Total Wine for a 750ml bottle. What did you pay for it?

I think it was 20.99 so that's a good price.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:
    adam42381 wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

I think it was 20.99 so that's a good price.
    I don't know if I want to pay that much for a large bottle of what is essentially a raspberry dessert beer. I know my wife wouldn't want to share it with me, and there's almost no way I could drink the whole thing by myself before it goes flat. I wish they'd put it in 12 oz. bottles.
    conman wrote:
    just had some sierra nevada torpedo extra ipa... pretty fuckin good!

also, my sisters fiance is gonna get me some faithfull ale from his buddy next week :D
    I think i've said it in this thread before but this is my fav easily accesable ipa and affordable as far as ipa's go.

adam42381 I really liked this year's wake n bake. I got it on tap and it was awesome. I hope it comes across as well in bottle. a great stout type beer
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22