Options

The Craft Beer Thread....

Comments

• Options
    81 wrote:
    I tore thru all 12 of the Magic Hat Winterland variety pack and sadly no Ed Ved bottle cap.

I'll be switching to Ommegang Hennepin tonight in protest of the fracking situation. We gotta organize a march or protest or something to keep BO open.

if you decide to set up an occupy the brewhouse....sign me up
    Haha, that'll be a motley ass crue. 81, Cliffy, Kel Varnson and me. Hey, if you want action, gotta roll up your sleeves and get dirty son. We can play Redemption Song while they're pouring out the leftover inventory.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    81 wrote:
    I tore thru all 12 of the Magic Hat Winterland variety pack and sadly no Ed Ved bottle cap.

I'll be switching to Ommegang Hennepin tonight in protest of the fracking situation. We gotta organize a march or protest or something to keep BO open.

if you decide to set up an occupy the brewhouse....sign me up
    Haha, that'll be a motley ass crue. 81, Cliffy, Kel Varnson and me. Hey, if you want action, gotta roll up your sleeves and get dirty son. We can play Redemption Song while they're pouring out the leftover inventory.

wait, work....i thought we would just sit there chained to the fermenter drinking finished product and singing drinking songs.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I would like to occupy the three philosphers tank
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Anyone try the DFH Hellhound Ale? I'm trying to get a bottle.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,919
    JK_Livin wrote:

Yes, it is amazing if you love hoppy beers.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

Yes, it is amazing if you love hoppy beers.

Thanks, yes Ido. I must get a bottle now. I'm on a couple waiting lists.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Picked up some dogfish ale
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    Picked up some dogfish ale
    Haven't decided what I'm going with this weekend. I'm in the mood to try some new types of brown ales. Any recommendations?
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,505
    JK_Livin wrote:
    I was very underwhelmed by it. Here's my review:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/10099/67219/?ba=adam42381

Appearance 4.5/5: Pours a clear medium amber color with orange highlights and a fluffy 3 finger off-white head. Excellent head retention and nice lacing.

Smell 3.5/5: Lemon is the dominant aroma but there are hints of pine, bready grains and malt in the background.

Taste 3/5: Lemon zest and bready malt up front followed by piney hops in the middle before finishing with a blast of bitter lemon peel. Aftertaste is bitter with a touch of maltiness. The malt presence is more than I expected from a DIPA brewed with lemons. The 10% ABV is well-masked.

Mouthfeel 2/5: Light-to-medium-bodied with a fairly low amount of carbonation. This is much lighter and thinner than I would have liked.

Drinkability 3/5: Average drinkability. This isn't something I'm going to savor to the last drop. The alcohol is well-hidden so it could sneak up on you if you decide to finish the whole 750ml bottle by yourself (I'm splitting the bottle 60/40 with the wife this evening).

Overall 3.1/5: Average beer overall. I had high hopes for this beer and those hopes were heightened when I saw how beautifully it poured. Unfortunately, things went down hill from there. The smell was slightly above average and the taste was nothing more than average. Pair that with a below average body for a DIPA and you get what I consider to be an average beer at best. Dogfish Head is one of my favorite breweries and this is one of the few times that they've not met or exceeded my expectations.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    Thanks glad i opted for the much less expensive bottle of Sweetwaters Fresh Sticky Nugs instead of the Hellhound.

I like DFH but i've had really good beers by them and beers i don't care for so when i gotta plop out 12 bucks a bottle i tend to like ot hear some good reviews first.

Sweetwater's Sticky Nugs is tasty :) maybe not as good as their name because i think that is the best name ever but a nice big red for sure.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Uh oh....i could get used to this 90 minute dog fish
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,622
    81 wrote:

Good stuff, right? Get your hands on a 120 minute next.
  • Options
    81 wrote:

That's one of my favorites.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    81 wrote:

I should have snagged it i saw it last month :x
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:

Damn dude, that is some shit. 18%
    alcohol and a whole lot of flavor. It's crazy. I just snagged a 4 pack when I was down there. They say it ages really well so I am going to drink 3 and save one for a while, if that's possible
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,919
    81 wrote:

Thats my favorite beer :D.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    81 wrote:

90 Minute is great. 120 is good, but an entirely different beast. Very sweet and obviously the alcohol hits hard.
    Thanks for the info. Good for you that your wife drinks beer. Mine does not. :cry: I'll still try to grab a bottle if I can.
    adam42381 wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:
    I was very underwhelmed by it. Here's my review:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/10099/67219/?ba=adam42381

Appearance 4.5/5: Pours a clear medium amber color with orange highlights and a fluffy 3 finger off-white head. Excellent head retention and nice lacing.

Smell 3.5/5: Lemon is the dominant aroma but there are hints of pine, bready grains and malt in the background.

Taste 3/5: Lemon zest and bready malt up front followed by piney hops in the middle before finishing with a blast of bitter lemon peel. Aftertaste is bitter with a touch of maltiness. The malt presence is more than I expected from a DIPA brewed with lemons. The 10% ABV is well-masked.

Mouthfeel 2/5: Light-to-medium-bodied with a fairly low amount of carbonation. This is much lighter and thinner than I would have liked.

Drinkability 3/5: Average drinkability. This isn't something I'm going to savor to the last drop. The alcohol is well-hidden so it could sneak up on you if you decide to finish the whole 750ml bottle by yourself (I'm splitting the bottle 60/40 with the wife this evening).

Overall 3.1/5: Average beer overall. I had high hopes for this beer and those hopes were heightened when I saw how beautifully it poured. Unfortunately, things went down hill from there. The smell was slightly above average and the taste was nothing more than average. Pair that with a below average body for a DIPA and you get what I consider to be an average beer at best. Dogfish Head is one of my favorite breweries and this is one of the few times that they've not met or exceeded my expectations.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Thanks for the info. Good for you that your wife drinks beer. Mine does not. :cry: I'll still try to grab a bottle if I can.
    My wife didn't really like beer until about a year or so ago. I've been into craft beer for about 6 years and I always had her try a sip of whatever I was drinking. Typically she didn't like any of them. She would drink the occasional light beer or Blue Moon, but she didn't like anything I was drinking. I finally had her try Chimay Blue and she loved it. Since then, she's been expanding her palate and she really enjoys beer. She still doesn't care for stouts or double IPAs, but she likes or at least tolerates most other styles at this point.
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    81 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    81 wrote:

FishFinder says they've got it at Whole Foods...
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    Just grabbed a 4pack of DFH Chicory Stout and a 12er of SN Celebracion Ale. Its a celebracion bitches!
  • Options
    My wife is running a half marathon on Sunday in St. Pete so we're heading up there tomorrow morning. We'll be stopping at a great little spot called Peg's Cantina in Gulfport. It's one of my favorite places and they brew some fantastic beers.
    http://www.pegscantina.com/
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22147/?view=beerfly

We'll also be making our quarterly - give or take - trip to Cigar City Brewing in Tampa. Probably my favorite brewery anywhere and they have a great tasting room.

http://www.cigarcitybrewing.com/
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/17981
    Adam, how do I get Cigar City up here? They don't sell it anywhere around me and all I read about on BA is people love it.
  • Options
    My local Total Wine store gets pretty much everything they bottle except for their brewery only releases.Their regular lineup is currently only available in a few southern states and I think the Philly area. On BeerAdvocate there's always a lot of Cigar City trading going on. I don't do any trading myself as the shipping costs are quite high and packaging can be a pain. As you may be aware, it's illegal to ship beer, but it's definitely done quite frequently.
    Damn. Yeah, I don't like doing the trading/shipping thing either. I gotta taste that Cigar City lineup. I haven't been down to Tampa/Ybor City in like 3 years and didn't get it when I had the chance.
  • Options
    We are slowly getting cigar city in the Atlanta area. I've had their IPA and their "Maduro" a brown.

Both were great examples of their respective styles.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Mamasan23 wrote:

gotta be sold out or hidden...

i was there yesterday at lunch looking for faithfull
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

Fishfinder just says where it's been delivered. I highly doubt there is any 120 minute left on shelves.
  • Options
    adam42381 wrote:
    My wife is running a half marathon on Sunday in St. Pete so we're heading up there tomorrow morning. We'll be stopping at a great little spot called Peg's Cantina in Gulfport. It's one of my favorite places and they brew some fantastic beers.
    http://www.pegscantina.com/
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22147/?view=beerfly

We'll also be making our quarterly - give or take - trip to Cigar City Brewing in Tampa. Probably my favorite brewery anywhere and they have a great tasting room.

http://www.cigarcitybrewing.com/
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/17981
    Love some Jai Alai! I need to make a trip down there and visit thier brewery.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

Fishfinder just says where it's been delivered. I highly doubt there is any 120 minute left on shelves.

they need to intergrate their systems so we can see inventory levels :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg