Options

Message from UPS to our European Super Deluxe Customers

Comments

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,458
    redrock wrote:
    we are in the same page now,,,,
    I still think you need to understand that PJ is a business.

Oh... and for your info.... my background, french, yugoslavian, spanish, dutch - by blood from my mother's side. Italian, irish, scottish, german, japanese, native american by blood from my father's side. I'm not even going to mention nationalities by marriage.
    yes,,but im a fan and not a customer only,,
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Man, this is a nightmare. I, like many others it seems, wrongly thought that the Super Deluxe set was an exclusive to Ten Club members. I knew the remixed Ten would be in shops but not the Super Deluxe edition. Now, that aside, my package arrived yesterday morning pre 9am and I had to pay 45 euro for it on top of the 190 dollars so all in all I paid around 170 euro for something that I saw in HMV today for 100. I'm pretty livid about this. I've kept my receipt from UPS but this is bad. I know a lot of people are saying it UPS not 10cc but c'mon, communication breakdown, PR nightmare, whatever, this isn't on and will make me think twice about ordering from 10cc every again. Bad move PJ.
  • Options
    CloudDog23CloudDog23 Posts: 147
    Still not sure what I am supposed to do on Monday when they try and re-deliver and charge me £32 for the privilege. Is this the right amount? Or is that considered a "higher than expected clearance fee".

Some direction would be useful.

As for the underlying issue about European fans being ripped off, or feeling they have, this is my perspective:

I don't mind paying over the going rate and waiting a bit longer for the goods to arrive if the money goes straight to the band / Ten Club. Previously I have ordered items like the Italian DVD and the " Into the WIld Soundtrack" and received free t-shirts, or, as with the "Pearl Jam" album a free MP3 download and a special Ten Club edition of the album. There was no real benefit to ordering this item from the Ten Club, but I was aware of this and made my choice.

I didn't mind paying the extra shipping cost, charged at the time of purchase, I know I live across the pond and it is expensive to ship items internationally.
    I don't mind paying the import duty and VAT on the goods either, I import a lot of stuff from the US and am well aware of this risk and associated costs.

What I will object to is if I have to pay shipping twice, once $50 to Ten Club and once to UPS on delivery.

If the £32 deliver charge is purely VAT and import duty, then fine, if it transpires that it is extra money to UPS, then, IMHO, I have not been fully informed of the full cost of purchasing the item from 10 Club, and it is up to UPS and /or Ten Club to resolve the issue.

Bottom line:

How is the £32 charge arrived at?
    Do I pay it on Monday or do I hold off?

2000/05/29 Wembley Arena, London, UK
    2006/04/20 The Astoria, London, UK
    2006/08/29 Gelredome, Arnhem, Netherlands
    2007/06/18 Wembley Arena, London, UK
    2009/08/18 O2 Arena, London, UK
    2010/06/25 Hyde Park, London, UK
    2012/06/20 MEN Arena, Manchester, UK
    2012/07/30 Hammersmith Odeon, UK (Eddie Vedder solo show)
    2013/02/10 O2 Academy Islington, UK (Brad)
    2013/09/19 O2 Academy Brixton, UK (Soundgarden)
    2014/07/08 first direct Arena, Leeds, UK
    2014/07/11 MK Bowl, Milton Keynes, UK
    2017/06/06 Hammersmith Odeon, UK (Eddie Vedder solo show)
    2018/07/17 O2 Arena, London, UK
    2022/07/08 Hyde Park, London, UK
    2022/07/09 Hyde Park, London, UK
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    yes,,but im a fan and not a customer only,,

One doesn't exclude the other. That goes for anything one likes and purchases.
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    CloudDog wrote:
    Still not sure what I am supposed to do on Monday when they try and re-deliver and charge me £32 for the privilege. Is this the right amount? Or is that considered a "higher than expected clearance fee".

Some direction would be useful.

If I were in your situation, and if I felt this were unfair, I would call the credit card company and ask if they would allow a chargeback on a pre-order purchase... and explain that the cost you were charged, plus the high cost of shipping you were charged was one thing, but that you were not told the method of shipping would increase this price to an arbitrarily higher amount. If the credit card company agrees to return the money to your account, then you can refuse the package, and then buy it for the correct price without all of these problems and without shipping fees and without extra fees above that. But, that's just me.

Pearl Jam is a business. I hold businesses accountable when they screw me (which they haven't screwed me personally, but imho they have screwed the Europeans).
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    JordyWordy wrote:
    i am indeed from Ireland. 8-)

The charge on delivery was €45 (or $61): €15 was UPS charges, €30 was the VAT charge (that part is fair enough)...i was just surprised to have to pay even more to UPS after the initial $50.

dont worry about it cos the guys & gals will give an answer soon, should fix everything!! *crosses fingers*

Yeah I understand the VAT, that's not too bad. But the extra €15 is a bit annoying.

Mine is in Dublin now, according to the UPS tracking email thing. But it's telling me that my address is not registered on the building directory and that UPS is trying to obtain the information. I live in Wexford and I've used the exact address that I entered into the TC for countless other internet purchases. Any idea what's going on?
    Kind words are the music of the world.
  • Options
    maggieemaggiee Posts: 6
    Man, this is a nightmare. I, like many others it seems, wrongly thought that the Super Deluxe set was an exclusive to Ten Club members. I knew the remixed Ten would be in shops but not the Super Deluxe edition. Now, that aside, my package arrived yesterday morning pre 9am and I had to pay 45 euro for it on top of the 190 dollars so all in all I paid around 170 euro for something that I saw in HMV today for 100. I'm pretty livid about this. I've kept my receipt from UPS but this is bad. I know a lot of people are saying it UPS not 10cc but c'mon, communication breakdown, PR nightmare, whatever, this isn't on and will make me think twice about ordering from 10cc every again. Bad move PJ.

i agree. and i'm really surprised that everyone is shocked that some Europeans feel ripped off. If so many people thought that the Super Deluxe was exclusive (I did too) and didn't expect to see it in their retail stores than I think something must have been wrong with the message, as Anti-Santa among other pointed out. I wouldn't mind to pay a bit more if it goes directly to the band etc. but I paid $240 ($190 plus $50 extra charges) instead of $95 - in my local store today. Please explain the difference to me. Even if it would be without shipping costs - $140 it would be a difference of $45. Maybe I'm naive, whatever, but I was as naive as the hundreds (??) of other European 10c members who bought the box.

As above - it's certainly a communication breakdown between TenClub and the fans.
  • Options
    I don't think that PJ implied anywhere it was exclusive. I thought it clearly said "In stores March 24th".

However, the $50 for shipping plus $XX in fees, when you could buy it for half the price AND support your local businesses is sickening.

You may all want to start a letter writing campaign to TC - real physical letters, not just emails.
  • Options
    DercheefDercheef Germany Posts: 732
    JordyWordy wrote:
    i am indeed from Ireland. 8-)

The charge on delivery was €45 (or $61): €15 was UPS charges, €30 was the VAT charge (that part is fair enough)...i was just surprised to have to pay even more to UPS after the initial $50.

dont worry about it cos the guys & gals will give an answer soon, should fix everything!! *crosses fingers*

Yeah I understand the VAT, that's not too bad. But the extra €15 is a bit annoying.

Mine is in Dublin now, according to the UPS tracking email thing. But it's telling me that my address is not registered on the building directory and that UPS is trying to obtain the information. I live in Wexford and I've used the exact address that I entered into the TC for countless other internet purchases. Any idea what's going on?
    Just call ups and give them your right adress and you should be fine. I did that and it took like 2 minutes to sort it out.
    2006:Arnhem,Bern,Berlin
    2007:München,Düsseldorf,Nijmegen
    2008:NY1,NY2,Mansfield1,Mansfield2
    2009:London,Rotterdam,Berlin,Manchester,London
    2010:NY1,NY2,Dublin,Belfast,Berlin
    2011:PJ20,Montreal,TorontoI+II,Hamilton
    2012:Amsterdam I+II, Prague, Berlin I+II, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen
    2013: Phoenix, San Diego, LA I+II, Oakland
    2014: Amsterdam I+II, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: Philly I+II, MSG I+II
  • Options
    Dercheef wrote:

Just call ups and give them your right adress and you should be fine. I did that and it took like 2 minutes to sort it out.

Alright cool, where can I find the number?
  • Options
    Dercheef wrote:

Alright cool, where can I find the number?

Nevermind, I found it :)

Thanks my friend :D
  • Options
    RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,942
    Well, personally I also thought this is a 10 Club exclusive package but this is not the point...For the fans in the States shipping is free which is cool imho so I guess the cost of this is built in the total price...for Europeans 50 bucks for shipping is a correct price but I can't accept more additional costs. This sudden UPS involvement and demand stinks terribly if you ask me and totally incorrect towards us, fans. It's no suprises EU fans are feelin' disappointed.

I've just checked a local retailer here in Bp. that ships the package for free to my door by GLS and it's still only 105 pounds.

At this moment I don't really give a damn if mine is signed or not.
    and still...I am confused. :?
    What happens if I refuse the item? Can I get a full refund or for the Super Deluxe stuff (140 $)
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
  • Options
    Ricsard wrote:
    Well, personally I also thought this is a 10 Club exclusive package but this is not the point...For the fans in the States shipping is free which is cool imho so I guess the cost of this is built in the total price...for Europeans 50 bucks for shipping is a correct price but I can't accept more additional costs. This sudden UPS involvement and demand stinks terribly if you ask me and totally incorrect towards us, fans. It's no suprises EU fans are feelin' disappointed.

I've just checked a local retailer here in Bp. that ships the package for free to my door by GLS and it's still only 105 pounds.

What happens if I refuse the item? Can I get a full refund or for the Super Deluxe stuff (140 $)
    totaly corect,,,,,,too disappointed,,,by the way they signed only 30 boxes as people say,,so dificult,,i order 2 boxes and ups ask me 400$ extra,,monday i wait instructions for 10c what to do
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Cinnamon GirlCinnamon Girl Posts: 1,854
    It's surprising that so many folks thought it was exclusive to 10c. I didn't get that impression at all.

I do feel for all my friends over the ocean...bum trip. I'm just curious how this is all going to play out.
    05-10-06, 08-05-07, 06-14-08 , 08-12-08(EV), 06-11-09(EV), 06-12-09(EV), 08-21-09, 05-10-10, 09-11-11, 09-12-11, 07-16-13, 07-19-13, 10-12-13, 10-21-13, 10-22-13,
  • Options
    Ricsard wrote:

Call your credit card company today. Ask them if they will issue you a refund so you can refuse the package. You'd probably only have the right to complain about the additional fees you were not told about. If so, then that's probably the only way, unless TC realizes they should have just let people buy it locally for 1/2 the price and issue you a refund... which won't happen.

I support PJ on many things. This time, they're on their own.

...I was speaking to someone in Germany recently, and he said he had some books special ordered to him and when they charged him 50 in fees, he laughed and didn't pay it. Then they came back and delivered it anyway. This was NOT the Super Deluxe Edition - but I just found it interesting.

PJ should have been clear that "you will pay double what you would pay at your local record store, if you buy it thru Ten Club".
  • Options
    maggiee wrote:
    and i'm really surprised that everyone is shocked that some Europeans feel ripped off.

I certainly don't think that anyone is shocked that some Europeans FEEL ripped off. I think people are shocked that the Europeans HAVE BEEN charged crazy surcharges. You are reading wrong. Also, I think that most people did know it was not exclusive, but those do not post it (though some have).
  • Options
    Bryan SealeBryan Seale Posts: 17
    edited March 2009
    It's surprising that so many folks thought it was exclusive to 10c. I didn't get that impression at all.

I do feel for all my friends over the ocean...bum trip. I'm just curious how this is all going to play out.

I knew it wasn't exclusive to 10c but I liked the idea of paying straight to the band..... and I must say, I'd love to get a signed copy :D

Another thing, I can't imagine many places in Ireland selling it, it'd probably be only available in Dublin and Cork etc and I won't be in anywhere near said places for a few months.

Thanks for taking an interest too :D
    Post edited by Bryan Seale on
  • Options
    Also, I believe that there is some reasonable expectation that prices will be relatively consistent... not a 200% difference. I really hope TC makes this right for all of you.
  • Options

Another thing, I an't imagine many places in Ireland selling it, it'd probably be only available in Dublin and Cork etc and I won't be in anywhere near said places for a few months.

Amazon, play.com.... don't need to go into a record shop.
  • Options
    CJMST3K wrote:
    I really hope TC makes this right for all of you.

That's what they're working on. I'm sure people will end up paying what 10C charged them (+ potentially local taxes/duties)
  • Options
    redrock wrote:

Another thing, I an't imagine many places in Ireland selling it, it'd probably be only available in Dublin and Cork etc and I won't be in anywhere near said places for a few months.

Well you see my main problem there is I never though of that haha I saw it on the 10c, got very excited and ordered it without second thought :lol:
  • Options
    grazmangrazman Posts: 198
    Personally when i ordered i didnt mind paying a little more than buying from a shop, the exclusive bit for me was some of them would be signed by the band and i might get one. Turns out no bugger has come forward with a signed copy yet so odds of me getting a signed one were 1 in a million. Then on top of paying a little bit more for it at 10c i was then asked to pay £30.13 customs at my door so hesitantly handed over the cash feeling a little peeved. I paid around £30 for shipping to the UK and if i'd have known i'd have to hand over another £30 because i live outside the USA then i would have bought from a shop. I think 10c needs to take quite a bit of responsibility for this for using UPS and being vague in their 'exclusive' super deluxe deal to members. They should have been more clear that nothing was exclusive and all versions would be sold in shops, how much the shipping charges would likely be for european customers and how many copies of the deluxe editions would actually be signed... then i could have made a better judgement. I think like a lot of members you think your getting something exclusive to being a 10c member and want to pay the band directly and your gonna get it at a decent price but if the exact same boxset is costing me nearly double when i buy from 10c instead of a shop, then im gonna shop elsewhere for it in future.
    It's Evolution, Baby!
  • Options
    redrock wrote:

Well you see my main problem there is I never though of that haha I saw it on the 10c, got very excited and ordered it without second thought :lol:
    AS WE ALL DID
  • Options
    grazman wrote:
    Personally when i ordered i didnt mind paying a little more than buying from a shop, the exclusive bit for me was some of them would be signed by the band and i might get one. Turns out no bugger has come forward with a signed copy yet so odds of me getting a signed one were 1 in a million. Then on top of paying a little bit more for it at 10c i was then asked to pay £30.13 customs at my door so hesitantly handed over the cash feeling a little peeved. I paid around £30 for shipping to the UK and if i'd have known i'd have to hand over another £30 because i live outside the USA then i would have bought from a shop. I think 10c needs to take quite a bit of responsibility for this for using UPS and being vague in their 'exclusive' super deluxe deal to members. They should have been more clear that nothing was exclusive and all versions would be sold in shops, how much the shipping charges would likely be for european customers and how many copies of the deluxe editions would actually be signed... then i could have made a better judgement. I think like a lot of members you think your getting something exclusive to being a 10c member and want to pay the band directly and your gonna get it at a decent price but if the exact same boxset is costing me nearly double when i buy from 10c instead of a shop, then im gonna shop elsewhere for it in future.
    ...100% AGREE WITH YOU,,UPS ASK ME 200$ EXTRA!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Irish AlIrish Al Posts: 6,236

I knew it wasn't exclusive to 10c but I liked the idea of paying straight to the band..... and I must say, I'd love to get a signed copy :D

Another thing, I can't imagine many places in Ireland selling it, it'd probably be only available in Dublin and Cork etc and I won't be in anywhere near said places for a few months.

Thanks for taking an interest too :D

This will definitely be available everywhere in Ireland. There is a huge marketing push from Sony on this product (eircom advertising online, in stores). You'll pick it up if you want to refuse the one from 10C (...but it could be signed ;) )
    I need a coffee!
  • Options
    Irish Al wrote:

This will definitely be available everywhere in Ireland. There is a huge marketing push from Sony on this product (eircom advertising online, in stores). You'll pick it up if you want to refuse the one from 10C (...but it could be signed ;) )

Man, if this turns up in Waterford in a few days I'm gonna be seriously pissed :lol:

Think I'll just accept it to be honest, it could be signed, very small small smaaaaaaaaaaall chance but still :lol:
  • Options
    Lone WolfLone Wolf Posts: 1,023
    Package arrived in Holland last Thursday.......I was charged €19,50 of which an amount of €10 is provisional
    (no idea what for :? )

The other €9,50 is tax....
    Dream the dreams of other men,...You´ll be no ones rival,...
    Dream the dreams of others then,... You will be no ones rival,...
  • Options

Young and impulsive!! :D:D:D Or maybe just impulsive :lol:
  • Options
    burtschipsburtschips Posts: 734
    grazman wrote:

good post... lots of panto here... this seems pretty spot on to me. I'm going to buy from hmv, i don't feel like i am doing anything disloyal to the band... it's simple economics, i'm still a fan. Hope you guys who got stung by UPS get something in return.
    Salut baloo
  • Options
    bnewman19bnewman19 Posts: 74
    burtschips wrote:
    grazman wrote:

good post... lots of panto here... this seems pretty spot on to me. I'm going to buy from hmv, i don't feel like i am doing anything disloyal to the band... it's simple economics, i'm still a fan. Hope you guys who got stung by UPS get something in return.

I agree, I only purchased it from TC because I thought it was 'exclusive' to fan club members, similiar to the last album with the live concert CD. If I knew it would be available at HMV etc I would have purchased it there. Atleast you could check it to see if had been damaged too - unlike something that has been sent 5000miles in the post. I do not have a problem paying any VAT or duty that the UK government slap on it , as much as it sucks. It is, however, paying the $50 for postage for something i can pick up in a shop 5 minutes from my house, thats sucks, and could have been avoided if the facts were stated on TC.