Options

Message from UPS to our European Super Deluxe Customers

Comments

• Options
    jmkjmk Posts: 425
    Then we could argue with the customs and UPS that the whole package doesn't include music recordings which we pay 22%, but the things worth most are the books that are included, which of we pay a VAT of 8% in Finland and 0% in Great Britain? ;) . Let's say Eddie Vedder personally wrote that notebook. ;);) . This way we could save some extra euros... If they find out the true price + shipping... Otherwise we'll just be satisfied with the VAT of the country you live in plus the $15 brokerage fee that I think Ten Club should refund us.

More than that I won't be willing to pay in extra fee's...

Have to go to sleep now. It's 01:45 in the night already, here in Finland...
    Stockholm - 07/07/2012
  • Options
    lowenanlowenan Posts: 79
    CJMST3K wrote:
    It's clear in all my posts that "I'm in the US" and "I'm not in your boat"? I like to stand up for what's right, and talk about what's wrong. I have sympathy for those in this situation, and explain my reasoning. Is that a problem?

I have no problem with it man, I'm very grateful to be honest :D

I feel the same way. It's nice to see someone who is not affected sticking up for what's right, even if saving the rain forest is more important.
  • Options
    JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257
    Pegasus wrote:
    sending 8lbs of goods safely 5000miles across an ocean in a handful of days and delivered to your door?
    considering how ignorant people seem to be about customs, I don't think that telling them it was going through UPS (which also meant coming MUCH faster) would have changed anything. after all it only made it from likely to certain to pay customs.

yes the £11 collected extra by UPS sucks (as does the £8 from Royal Mail, except theirs mean delay) and should be much lower, but that's not 10c's fault there is such a fee, and would have it been included in the postage fee, postage would have been higher and that's all.

I feel sorry for you guys that ended up paying far more than you could have, but it's not 10c's fault you have.

right i get all that, i buy stuff from america online regularly. but why have $50 set aside initially to pay UPS & then be hit with €15 surcharge by UPS at the door? why am I paying the courier twice? if there was a logical breakdown of the costs, it would be fine. like i said, i also buy from 10c and if theres ever extra charges they usually warn in advance, thats all. theyre looking into sorting out the people that got properly screwed with the €100 charges, so thats good.

Ten deluxe pack cost: $150
    Shipping costs & Vat: $110. i just feel a little sideswiped, but ill get over it.
  • Options
    JordyWordy wrote:

right i get all that, i buy stuff from america online regularly. but why have $50 set aside initially to pay UPS & then be hit with €15 surcharge by UPS at the door? why am I paying the courier twice? if there was a logical breakdown of the costs, it would be fine. like i said, i also buy from 10c and if theres ever extra charges they usually warn in advance, thats all. theyre looking into sorting out the people that got properly screwed with the €100 charges, so thats good.

Shipping costs & Vat: $110. i just feel a little sideswiped, but ill get over it.

You're from Ireland yeah? Is it only gonna be €15? I thought it was gonna be something like €40
    Kind words are the music of the world.
  • Options
    JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257
    JordyWordy wrote:

You're from Ireland yeah? Is it only gonna be €15? I thought it was gonna be something like €40

i am indeed from Ireland. 8-)

The charge on delivery was €45 (or $61): €15 was UPS charges, €30 was the VAT charge (that part is fair enough)...i was just surprised to have to pay even more to UPS after the initial $50.

dont worry about it cos the guys & gals will give an answer soon, should fix everything!! *crosses fingers*
  • Options
    nitzanpmnitzanpm Posts: 4
    is someone from israel got it already? if so' how mach was the tax from UPS?
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    edited March 2009
    AP159916 wrote:
    WRONG

Goods (with the value limit of EUR 150.00) from any non-EU country are NOT subject to customs duties.

Please note that this directive is from 2008. Until 2008 the value limit was EUR 22.00

Now you have to pay VAT but NOT the customs taxes.

OK... we could go on forever with this. As far as I know in the UK one pays custom duties on ALL goods shipped. If it is under a certain amount, it is a flat rate (google if you want to know what it is). What I DO know is that if the custom duties are less than £7, this duty will be waived (so therefore one may think duties are not applicable). So, in the UK, custom duties are paid on ALL goods from the US. There are all kinds of different rules as well depending on what is sent, if the declaration form has been filled in,etc.

But who cares..... No one is disputing VAT or custom charges here. They are disputing additional UPS charges.
    Post edited by redrock on
  • Options
    My problem with this is not really the VAT, and it's not really the $50 shipping, my problem is that when this was announced by the Ten Club it was made to seem like it would be an exclusive only available through this website. I think at least 75% of us Europeans ordered from the Ten Club thinking this was the case only to see that we could have got it for about half the final cost. Nothing pleases me more than supporting this band and this website but you must see how this has gotten a bit out of hand.

Ten Club next time this happens please, please, please let us know up front that it will be available for general release. Thanks.
    amongstthewav.es
    2006 - Leeds Festival
    2007 - London
    2009 - Manchester / London
    2010 - Berlin
    2012 - Manchester I / Manchester II / EV Manchester
  • Options
    ....when this was announced by the Ten Club it was made to seem like it would be an exclusive only available through this website.

Ten Club next time this happens please, please, please let us know up front that it will be available for general release. Thanks.

"From the e-mail sent 15th December

Pearl Jam announces the reissue of TEN:
    Four special edition packages in stores 3/24/2009
    Ten Club pre-sale begins now"

"Pre-orders of the Super Deluxe Edition begin today, through the Ten Club at PearlJam.com. All four editions will be available for purchase on March 24, 2009. "

How more obvious does it need to be. Pre-sale with the 10C, available for purchase March 24th..... READ BEFORE JUMPING INTO THINGS
  • Options
    JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    "No one is disputing VAT or custom charges here. They are disputing additional UPS charges."

That's what I'm trying to say from the beginning.. With USPS regular mail the extra charge would be around 30 euros, that's what I was expecting.. But UPS charge additional costs, and this is pure BULLSHIT.. Like said befoore, we paid $50 to TC, and then we have to pay extra costs to UPS? Maybe monday I will receive my package (it's already in Italy, according to the tracking), and if the courier asks more than 30-35 euros I will be very disappointed..
  • Options
    DercheefDercheef Germany Posts: 732
    redrock wrote:
    ....when this was announced by the Ten Club it was made to seem like it would be an exclusive only available through this website.

"Pre-orders of the Super Deluxe Edition begin today, through the Ten Club at PearlJam.com. All four editions will be available for purchase on March 24, 2009. "

How more obvious does it need to be. Pre-sale with the 10C, available for purchase March 24th..... READ BEFORE JUMPING INTO THINGS

I ordered on the 10th of december and I'm pretty sure that this info was not given when I purchased it.
    2006:Arnhem,Bern,Berlin
    2007:München,Düsseldorf,Nijmegen
    2008:NY1,NY2,Mansfield1,Mansfield2
    2009:London,Rotterdam,Berlin,Manchester,London
    2010:NY1,NY2,Dublin,Belfast,Berlin
    2011:PJ20,Montreal,TorontoI+II,Hamilton
    2012:Amsterdam I+II, Prague, Berlin I+II, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen
    2013: Phoenix, San Diego, LA I+II, Oakland
    2014: Amsterdam I+II, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: Philly I+II, MSG I+II
  • Options
    Dercheef wrote:
    I ordered on the 10th of december and I'm pretty sure that this info was not given when I purchased it.

The e-mails are just copies of what is put up on the site in the news bit.

As I have said before.. the 10C say when it is exclusive to them. Do they also have to say what is not?
  • Options
    redrock wrote:

You think that is clear? When I said general release I meant worldwide general release.

"Four special editions available in stores." Does this say anything about outside American stores?

"All four available to purchase on March 24th." Again this adds no more information about availability outside of the US.

"Pre-orders of the Super Deluxe Edition begin today, through the Ten Club at PearlJam.com" This line seems to suggest that the Super Deluxe was exclusive to the Ten Club and separate from the four special editions available in stores.

All I'm saying is they could have worded it a little clearer from the beginning and they wouldn't have this mess they have now.
    amongstthewav.es
    2006 - Leeds Festival
    2007 - London
    2010 - Berlin
  • Options
    damnaxedamnaxe Posts: 135
    fortunately ups tried to deliver it yesterday to a guy with a similar name, so i was able to contact 10c first and read about that issue in the forum. they want me to pay an extra 44€ which makes up altogether 250usd for the deluxe edition. as 10c mentioned earlier they just promised to solve the problem for those of us who paid in their eyes excessive vat or duty or whatever in the amount of 75 or more euros. so i don't think those of us in europe (i'm in germany) who paid 250usd will get anything refunded.
    i will definetely refuse it when ups will try it again on monday (assumed they'll read the door signs right this time) go to my local retailer, buy it for 100€ and wait for 10c to refund me my money.
    even if they don't refund me the excessive 50$ for shipping i'll be way better of.
    and i must admit i also thought there might be something special with this order from 10c compared to the one sold at the local stores, as it was for example with the avocado album, so i ordered mine in december.
    if i'd know that i could buy it cheaper and easier at my local store i definetely would have done that and kept my 190$ 3 months more.
  • Options
    JimNasticsJimNastics Posts: 679
    damnaxe wrote:
    and i must admit i also thought there might be something special with this order from 10c compared to the one sold at the local stores, as it was for example with the avocado album, so i ordered mine in december.

This is what's confusing me, because I've been under the same assumption ever since I ordered it in December. There must have been a reason I ordered it from 10c, otherwise I would have just bought it retail, and I can only think that I thought this Super Deluxe version was only available through the 10c :/
  • Options

All I'm saying is they could have worded it a little clearer from the beginning and they wouldn't have this mess they have now.

Don't blame others for your deficiencies. Furthermore, the mess has nothing to do with people assuming it was only available from 10C (for whatever reason) - 10C was clear about that. The problems lies with UPS and probably with the 10C for not making it clear it would be shipped UPS when the order was placed (though I don't know that because I didn't order it).

I'm done explaining this - others may continue to moan about how 10C DIDN'T say it was not exlusive. I guess it's the same people who will moan when PJ DON'T announce a tour (as opposed to announcing one) - happened last tour.

**goes back to the garden to soak up the sun**
  • Options
    dc140655dc140655 Posts: 2
    hi

i live in france and ups ask me 49.95 euro more (more than 70usd), i think for VAT but i was not at home.

i think the best way to solve the pb is to accept this
    AND
    ten club should offer 3 years (or more...) of membership ...
    ... this could be a fair deal...

moreover, i was also interested in the empty bootleg box, and preorder could not be combined.... i wanted to have a (very little) chance to have a signed box, so i placed just the preorder and will place another one with another s&h...
    if i had knew that, i surely would not have place this order.

in our dreams we could have a signed item, but i imagine we are too many european custumers with that prob...

but the more important is to know if there will be a solution:
    if not, i think i will refuse the pack so it will be sent back and i hope to get a total refund...
  • Options
    Irish AlIrish Al Posts: 6,236
    Pegasus wrote:
    the £105 DOES NOT APPLY TO VAT. (I wish! and it's more like £140 = €150)
    this is the limit for DUTY.

When you import something you pay:
    + VAT on item + shipping (that means on $150 people, not $100! that's the law, nothing to do with 10c or UPS) if total cost of items only (so you order 2 limit is not higher) is over £18/€25 (whatever the rate is in your country, 15% in the UK now, %19.5 in France for example. and if it's above you pay on all, not deducting £18)
    + DUTY (depends on country and product type, 2.5% here I think for CDs/DVDs) if over £140 (so that'll be nil in this case)
    + carrier fee (in UK: £8 for Royal Mail, £11 for UPS..) for processing your customs for you (and unfortunately for individuals, it's impossible to pre-pay customs yourself.).

SLH is very nice to get UPS to look into it, but likely only those Portuguese or Dimitris that had really ridiculous fees will see any money back.

The £30 UK charge is perfectly in line with what you're supposed to pay ($22.5 15%VAT = £15.85 as per C&E official rate for this week + £11 UPS fee = £26.85.) the difference of a few quid I wouldn't question since $100 is not the real value anyway and UPS just has to look on this website to know that (and with the real value of $140, VAT = £20.1, + £11 fee = £31.1).

For euro countries, depending on your VAT rate and UPS local fee, but the people quoting €45 seems right too.

anything above €50 otoh I'd question. Dimitris, €150 for 2 seems too high, I'd question that one.
    Ruxpin wrote:
    1.) There was never an announcement of changing the courier to UPS from the usual USPS. Usually the shipments to europe etc go by USPS via Sweden and then onto the respective countries. I have ordered a number of items before and yes I have had to pay import costs a couple of times in the past year (when the value of the goods was over £18.00). These charges were approx £7.50 and £8.00 for orders of £50ish and £80ish respectively.
    I've no idea how you ended up paying so little since Royal Mail (that's normal mail for non-UK people) charges a fee of £8 on top of WHATEVER the VAT amount they collect. (and 17.5% on £80 never works out to be £8..unless you had a book in that which didn't count). So even if 10c hadn't changed the carrier, you'd have saved £3 (and a slight chance of not getting hit, but considering the size of the package, very slight. Plus regular mail doesn't have any real tracking, which for an item of this cost is a very bad idea).
    oh, and they don't use USPS normally (that would be a lot quicker if they did), they use Swedish Post (it's a totally different service) but it does NOT go through Sweden in fact (or you'd never pay customs at all since Sweden is in the EU).
    PH109495 wrote:
    I just had a look on Amazon - £99 with free shipping. And there's me like a fool paying £133 (I checked my CC statement) to get it delivered from the States and potentially another £30 tax... How do we get a refund from ten club?
    that's your own fault for not checking competition before spending >£100, I don't see why you should get a refund! the base product is at exactly the same price, you for shipment and import, that's your choice.

seriously people, everyone knows lots of goods, particularly electronics, are sold cheaper in the US.
    You never thought twice why people didn't order from there all the time instead of buying locally? :roll:

Hey P I take what you're saying but I think you'll find that all 10C merch goes through Sweden (they told me themselves when I queired the length of time it takes to deliver usually) and I have never paid any customs or VAT on anything sent by 10C previously (inc the PJ vs Ames ltd ed). I did expect to pay customs this time purely because in recessionary times govs crack down and try to get as much money as they can. I think that all 10C have to do for me is give me a breakdown of the $50 shipping I paid for. As all fees to delivery companys SHOULD have come from this IMO :)
    I need a coffee!
  • Options
    tidus10xtidus10x UK Posts: 120
    I'm in the UK and I didn't see the email till about and hour ago having picked up my super deluxe last night. I must admit I was a bit taken aback by the UPS charge which in my case was £30.13. One thing I would say is I probably won't order something like this again through the Ten Club as I could get it cheaper in the UK, it was just the hope of getting a signed copy which I though made it worth it. I think maybe some research could have been done into the UPS costs to different countries even if it was a link or phone number so we had an idea what we were letting ourselves in for. Having said all that the package is absolutely awesome, in particular the remix of Garden is just amazing I just feel a bit a of a mug paying over the odds for it. Anyway I'm off to play the Momma-Son cassette, I can't believe I would ever get the chance to hear it for real. Crazy.
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    So in £££££, how much is everyone paying in the U.K in total then?
  • Options
    HippyvikHippyvik Posts: 281
    I paid £32.20 to UPS. Surely it should be the same for everyone in the UK! How do they work this out, anyone know?

Has anyone who's received there set received a signed copy? As what I'm hearing suggests no-one has!
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,458
    hi there again,,i m here for 2 days watching all the people talking about all,,im the one from greece who order 2 boxes,,and ups ask me to pay 200 $ more for each,,total 400 $ extra,,in contact with ten club they sent to me the mail of ups,,i contact again and send dont refuse the shipment and wait,,we talk in phone to ups,,again they say to me couse ups ask me much money to refuse...and the will see what to do,,here is the thing now,,,
    the problem begin couse they change the delivery way,,,stop talking about the laws,in europian union,,and the custom and all that..from us post office change to ups,,,whatever u send with ups they do the same,,u pay custom taxis and vat and whatever,,,
    this the mistake,,and thats why they understand it and in the ammount they write that cost 100$for people not pay more,,but this never happen,,,all the company who sell things in internet always write the way for shipping and if there is aproblem with vat.or custom they say that the cost is for the buyer,,and u take your risk,,,this in this case never happen,,i make in 10c more than 15 orders in the past,,and with more money the total cost,,,but never pay anything,,the reason,,they send it with post office,,
    FINALLY THE PROBLEM IS NOT THE MONEY...AND ALL THAT..IS THAT WE ARE FANS AND WE LOVE THIS BAND,,BUT WITH ALL THIS THEY MAKE US FEEL LIKE CUSTOMERS TO A COMPANY,,NOT FANS TO OUR FAVORITE BAND.,AND PEOPLE ARE NOT ANGRE,,ARE FEELING SAD,,,MAYBE IS OUR FALT IN THE END,,PEARL JAM AND THEIR MUSIC IS A THING,,BUT TEN CLUB COMPANY THAT SALES PRODUCT IS ANOTHER ONE,,
    I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH THIS,,IN FEEL SO EMPTY FROM YESTERDAY,,I HOPE THEY FIND A WAY,,MAYBE THE SOLUTION IS TO GIVE US FREE MEMBERSHIP......ONE LAST THING....DONT CUT OUR HAPPINESS AND OUR FEELINGS FOR YOU AND THE REASON TO BE MONEY,,PLEASE

P.S,OK,,IF THE COME TO GREECE TO PLAY UNPLUGGED IN ACROPOLIS ..ILL FORGET EVERYTHING RIGHT NOW,,!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    ... THEY MAKE US FEEL LIKE CUSTOMERS TO A COMPANY,,NOT FANS TO OUR FAVORITE BAND....,PEARL JAM AND THEIR MUSIC IS A THING,,BUT TEN CLUB COMPANY THAT SALES PRODUCT IS ANOTHER ONE,,

Music is a business. The moment a musician/band charges for anything, be it to go see them play, a download, a cd, it becomes a business. The musician is lucky enough to be able to have his passion as a job but in the end it is a job to pay the bills (and a bit more hopefully). Merchandising is a business, touring is a business and this business is to make money.

10C were not clear about their shipping - that is definite. Maybe they didn't quite research it either - I don't know. It would seem from the e-mail received from UPS it was very much a UPS problem and the people from 10C are trying to sort it out.

I can understand your frustration, disappointment, etc. but let's not get that emotional about it.
  • Options
    redrock wrote:

Don't blame others for your deficiencies. Furthermore, the mess has nothing to do with people assuming it was only available from 10C (for whatever reason) - 10C was clear about that. The problems lies with UPS and probably with the 10C for not making it clear it would be shipped UPS when the order was placed (though I don't know that because I didn't order it).

I'm done explaining this - others may continue to moan about how 10C DIDN'T say it was not exlusive. I guess it's the same people who will moan when PJ DON'T announce a tour (as opposed to announcing one) - happened last tour.

Why do you think so many Europeans paid extra to get it from the Ten Club? It certainly wasn't for the chance in a bazillion of getting it signed. And so now because so many have ordered it this overcharging problem has become a rather large one for the Ten Club and I expect it to affect their overseas sales in the future. Enjoy the sun.
    amongstthewav.es
    2006 - Leeds Festival
    2007 - London
    2010 - Berlin
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    edited March 2009
    redrock wrote:

Why do you think so many Europeans paid extra to get it from the Ten Club? It certainly wasn't for the chance in a bazillion of getting it signed. And so now because so many have ordered it this overcharging problem has become a rather large one for the Ten Club and I expect it to affect their overseas sales in the future. Enjoy the sun.

I thought that would be the ONLY reason to go through all the 10c crap and getting it from USA etc. Im just going to HMV on Monday to get it for £99....As for it getting signed it doesn't mean shit to me as its completely generic so i didn't get it from the 10c.
    Post edited by Brisk. on
  • Options

I enjoyed it, thank you - it's now gone from my garden.

If you go back and read a number of posts, the minute chance of getting it autographed was a huge reason people bought the stuff - European or not (maybe not you but you did because you assumed it was exclusive when it didn't say that anywhere). Europeans do purchase quite a bit from the 10C, even it is available elsewhere. As far as I am concerned, they ARE a bit pricier and have always been. Even for tickets. So nothing new there. Then again, when the dollar was so weak with stronger european currencies, their stuff was dirt cheap.

The main problem with the Europeans is not the 10C price of the goods, it's the extra UPS charges requested at delivery. I would say as long as they ship via the post as before, I don't think things will change that much and that 10C have to worry about losing too much business. That will really depend on how the current problem is resolved.
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    ... THEY MAKE US FEEL LIKE CUSTOMERS TO A COMPANY,,NOT FANS TO OUR FAVORITE BAND....,PEARL JAM AND THEIR MUSIC IS A THING,,BUT TEN CLUB COMPANY THAT SALES PRODUCT IS ANOTHER ONE,,

Music is a business. The moment a musician/band charges for anything, be it to go see them play, a download, a cd, it becomes a business. The musician is lucky enough to be able to have his passion as a job but in the end it is a job to pay the bills (and a bit more hopefully). Merchandising is a business, touring is a business and this business is to make money.

10C were not clear about their shipping - that is definite. Maybe they didn't quite research it either - I don't know. It would seem from the e-mail received from UPS it was very much a UPS problem and the people from 10C are trying to sort it out.

I can understand your frustration, disappointment, etc. but let's not get that emotional about it.
    you dont understand me but this dont change the feeling,,next time eddie on the tour may talk about about companys,money,rich people,,and not for peace,love and music he do all this years,,and whats your problem?how much u pay for that.anyway..and 10c is your cousen and you dont like us to tell our complains?
    and no musician without fans will be a musician,,and i see from all the post u put that u have a little problem with european people...maybe u dont like that u discover from people who they were from europe...
    finally,,its easy to understand it,,,,,they make mistake to change the way ti deliver and didnt tell it that maybe will be extra,,and dont be so sure about the thing that we waiting for the signiture of the band,,,in my country there is not a public sale,,
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    ,,and i see from all the post u put that u have a little problem with european people...maybe u dont like that u discover from people who they were from europe..,
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    How in the hell did you read in my posts that I had problems with Europeans? Get real... Am I supposed to be the big bad american who doesn't understand Europe and may have an inferiority complex? Not sure I understand what you mean with the above....

I have said that I understand the frustration, anger, etc. of the Europeans getting their stuff and finding they had to pay lots extra. The problem I have is with people who say 'no one said it wasn't exclusive or else I wouldn't have bought it' or more of the likes. Moan, moan, moan.

I fully agree with the people who said 'they didn't say it was going to be shipped UPS (which I know incurs charges)' and I am pissed off having to pay extra for that'.

That's all
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    ,,and i see from all the post u put that u have a little problem with european people...maybe u dont like that u discover from people who they were from europe..,
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    How in the hell did you read in my posts that I had problems with Europeans? Get real... Am I supposed to be the big bad american who doesn't understand Europe and may have an inferiority complex? Not sure I understand what you mean with the above....

I have said that I understand the frustration, anger, etc. of the Europeans getting their stuff and finding they had to pay lots extra. The problem I have is with people who say 'no one said it wasn't exclusive or else I wouldn't have bought it' or more of the likes. Moan, moan, moan.

I fully agree with the people who said 'they didn't say it was going to be shipped UPS (which I know incurs charges)' and I am pissed off having to pay extra for that'.

That's all
    we are in the same page now,,,,
  • Options
    we are in the same page now,,,,
    I still think you need to understand that PJ is a business.

Oh... and for your info.... my background, french, yugoslavian, spanish, dutch - by blood from my mother's side. Italian, irish, scottish, german, japanese, native american by blood from my father's side. I'm not even going to mention nationalities by marriage.